News:

11 March 2016 - Forum Rules

Main Menu

Screenshots

Started by Gemini, September 04, 2011, 09:02:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Revenant



A totally "invisible" hack, but hopefully the title bar says it all...

Mari42

Quote from: Revenant on May 06, 2017, 11:25:38 PM


A totally "invisible" hack, but hopefully the title bar says it all...

Oh. So, this game have MMC5? Amazing! XD

Revenant

Yep. The idea was to use MMC5's larger ROM capacity to support ROM expansion in my editor, since managing free space is kind of a hassle otherwise. (The MMC5 version in that screenshot is using the full 1MB of PRG ROM)

I need to fix up the timing of screen splits a bit, but otherwise the conversion is working pretty well.

(FCEUX 2.2.2 also had a bug that was causing nametable corruption to occur only in the MMC5 version, which I spent hours trying to track down before I realized it wasn't my problem. Keep your emulators up to date, people!)

Mari42

Quote from: Revenant on May 08, 2017, 12:10:32 AM
Yep. The idea was to use MMC5's larger ROM capacity to support ROM expansion in my editor, since managing free space is kind of a hassle otherwise. (The MMC5 version in that screenshot is using the full 1MB of PRG ROM)

I need to fix up the timing of screen splits a bit, but otherwise the conversion is working pretty well.

(FCEUX 2.2.2 also had a bug that was causing nametable corruption to occur only in the MMC5 version, which I spent hours trying to track down before I realized it wasn't my problem. Keep your emulators up to date, people!)

I was trying to figure it out like how can you even bankswitch stuff if you used MMC5? By LDA to something??

Gideon Zhi



These two screens were a real bear to get working correctly together. The routines that tile the window backdrops, character portraits, and other BG1 (usually BG1, sometimes BG2) elements are the same routines that tile the text onto BG3 (usually BG3, sometimes also BG2). I'm using DTE to compress the text, and the game was treating the lower third of that combat dialog window, most of the "dead pilot static" portrait, and the high-score medal on the Herald status subscreens as DTE-encoded text, which caused things to blow up. Whee. I've fixed that, but finding the exact right combinations of checks to get everything working in concert was a massive headache.

RadioTails

Quote from: Gideon Zhi on May 11, 2017, 03:26:33 PM


These two screens were a real bear to get working correctly together. The routines that tile the window backdrops, character portraits, and other BG1 (usually BG1, sometimes BG2) elements are the same routines that tile the text onto BG3 (usually BG3, sometimes also BG2). I'm using DTE to compress the text, and the game was treating the lower third of that combat dialog window, most of the "dead pilot static" portrait, and the high-score medal on the Herald status subscreens as DTE-encoded text, which caused things to blow up. Whee. I've fixed that, but finding the exact right combinations of checks to get everything working in concert was a massive headache.

The pictures aren't loading for some reason on romhacking.net, but I can easily view them separately in tabs.  Because I'm nice, here they are in photobucket:
   
Avatar by LazyNinjartist

Mugi

lets pump this whole graphics updating on zill o'll up a bit.

512x512 256color against 128x128 64colors.... hmmm, im tempted :P

In PSP we trust.

Tom

Wow! The difference is striking!

Mugi

#1408
it's an interesting idea to play with that these could technically just be thrown into the psp version.
they would work. The question is at which point the psp chokes on itself. Considering the current state of it (there are slowdowns when 3d is involved) its propably a bad idea to toy with this too much.
however, it's a good thing that the hi-res sources are available, so some of the more badly converted textures can be redone.

even though it's a huge load of manual work to rearrange the textures one by one since their layout doesn't match (there's 288 files, containing some 300++ textures), redoing them as 256 colors (0% more strain to the engine) is an idea im seriously considering of attempting to pull of.

on the other hand.... we could always go 200% more retro and use this:
In PSP we trust.

gadesx

Maybe the translation can be a hack or mod finally,
because the changes made, will be better release different patches, something like
"english translation" "english translation and edited graphics"

PD: Someone after see that texture doesn't have the tempation of leave that girl naked?  :laugh:

Mugi

#1410
the patch will be a translation, and will include options to add things like the retro soundtrack.
the edited graphics are simply the same old with an improved quality. a mod changes something to something else, what im doing is simply undoing damages caused by bad conversions of the original assets, such as extensive dithering, and unfairly low color counts.
In PSP we trust.

VicVergil

Quote from: gadesx on May 20, 2017, 03:21:23 PM
PD: Someone after see that texture doesn't have the tempation of leave that girl naked?  :laugh:

My first 3d texture mod was actually a nude mod... unintentionally.
Tried to replace a TIM texture with a solid rectangle of 1 color, yet even without textures the 3d model for the torso (separate from head) was still detailed enough to give the impression at such low resolutions that she's naked - actually w/ a Barbie doll's anatomy, but whatever.

saito

Quote from: Mugi on May 20, 2017, 03:45:53 PM
the patch will be a translation, and will include options to add things like the retro soundtrack.
the edited graphics are simply the same old with an improved quality. a mod changes something to something else, what im doing is simply undoing damages caused by bad conversions of the original assets, such as extensive dithering, and unfairly low color counts.

Tought you dropped the project because of what you post at your site. Good to see that you want to continue.
.: TransGen :.

Mugi

Quote from: saito on May 21, 2017, 12:23:48 PM
Tought you dropped the project because of what you post at your site. Good to see that you want to continue.

we're still going, stronger than ever!
i'll drop this thing over my dead body :P
In PSP we trust.

Madsiur

I've added a menu option to toggle the gradient in FF6. Some custom menu backgrounds actually look better this way, with default blue it seems I'm playing FF5 :P


Midna

I thought the gradient effect looks neat and helps to separate it from the other SNES Final Fantasies with their solid blue windows, but what do I know?

Mugi

#1416
so, i tested it and here you go; 128x128 128colors against 256x256 256color.
the game doesn't really care, just throwing in a new texture and no further work involved is all it takes.

The ps2 source is 512x512 so the psp resolution can be pumped up to 4x.
It will 100% work on the emu but didnt test slowdowns on real HW yet. tested with 2 chars using hi-res textures and there is no noticeable performance drop whatsoever.

In PSP we trust.

Madsiur

Quote from: Midna on May 24, 2017, 08:16:15 PM
I thought the gradient effect looks neat and helps to separate it from the other SNES Final Fantasies with their solid blue windows, but what do I know?

On these kind of background yes it look better, but some custom ones you can import and even some vanilla ones look better without a gradient. A few I've made and imported were almost ruined because of it.

PresidentLeever

Chrono Trigger for genesis in 1 minute:
http://imgur.com/umPiYWx

Comparison shots:
http://imgur.com/a/rvmAr

I'll probably do more accurate mockups in terms of sub palette limitations at some point, here's a more optimized party palette.


Mini-reviews, retro sound chip tribute, romhacks and general listage at my site: Mini-Revver.

Midna

Yeah, pretty sure most of those colors aren't actually possible on the Genesis/MD. It's got a 9-bit RGB palette, which is less than what the SNES can display with its 15-bit RGB. (This is also why a lot of Genesis games are so bright and colorful compared to SNES games; compare Turtles in Time with Hyperstone Heist, for example.) If you run your images through your image software of choice's Posterize function and set it to "9", you should get something more approaching what the Genesis can display.