11 March 2016 - Forum Rules

Main Menu

Screenshots

Started by Gemini, September 04, 2011, 09:02:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zynk

Midna

Yes, Ninja Gaiden 1.

The revamps look cool, but remember that the Master System's vertical resolution is considerably shorter than the NES's (192 vs. 240). There's also a max of 512 unique 8x8 tiles for backgrounds, but the NES is similarly limited so I don't know if that's a real issue.

KingMike

Practically speaking, Master System is limited to 448 tiles as the tilemap and I think sprite table shares the same VRAM space.
NES is limited to 256 background and 256 sprite tiles.
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

PresidentLeever

Thanks, and thanks for the info. It makes sense since the SMS game (1992) has a shorter HUD.
Mini-reviews, retro sound chip tribute, romhacks and general listage at my site: Mini-Revver.

NoOneee

(PSX) Animetic Story Game 1: Card Captor Sakura

If anyone wants to volunteer to translate, please PM me. I'll probably create a help ad later.

gadesx

I see the title screen of cardcaptor sakura in SYS.BIN, around 39DD20 in 8bpp linear but looks ugly with tilemolester

NoOneee

Quote from: gadesx on December 27, 2016, 02:01:25 PM
I see the title screen of cardcaptor sakura in SYS.BIN, around 39DD20 in 8bpp linear but looks ugly with tilemolester
Yeah, I already edited some images (I had to add the English characters to the font for instance), but not this one.
I normally use TiledGDD. I think it is ugly just because you're seeing it with the wrong palette?

I have tweaked the font a little bit after taking those screenshots, some characters look better now.

SunGodPortal

Whoa, cool. I didn't know that Cardcaptor Sakura game existed. It looks cool. I wish I could help, but my Japanese is probably not even kindergarten level and I already have too many projects in general. I hope you find someone who can translate for you.
Cigarettes, ice-cream, figurines of the Virgin Mary...

Pennywise

I decided to do something a little different and hack the Japanese version of a popular baseball game. I've only hacked the roster names to be 10 characters though. The original only had 6 to work with and 10 should be enough for some decent translations. Anyhow, that seemed like the biggest hurdle tech-wise. The rest just looks like tedious crap.

KingMike

paul_met

Keio Flying Squadron 2 (increasing game resolution up to 352x224).

Link:
Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.
Meduza Team

SunGodPortal

KingMike

Was Diabeetus one of the people involved making Parallel Worlds, or a member of the SA Let's Play team that played/made fun of it upon release? :D (I'm feeling the latter.)

Midna

It's just a Wilford Brimley joke, I'm pretty sure. IIRC, the goon's username is spelled "Diabetus" (one "e") anyway.

SunGodPortal

The screenshot of Brimley in Zelda was something I did just for the sake of editing some graphics (and a laugh). It's not a part of an ongoing hack or anything. It had been a while since I had done any pixel art so I did the first thing that popped into my head. Much like this:

Just havin' some fun.

Eden.GT

A kaizo SMB1 Hack I'm making. What did you expect?

Is the pool clean?

tomaitheous

Never understood the appeal of those kaizo hacks..

SunGodPortal

Quote from: tomaitheous on January 08, 2017, 06:26:41 PMNever understood the appeal of those kaizo hacks..

I'm not a big fan of them but I can see why some people like them. I do like games that are really hard as long as they are fair. I guess the only thing keeping me from getting into kaizo hacks is that there are very few games that I am willing to play long enough to know the engine well enough to be able to produce glitched reactions on demand. That seems to be essential to a lot of kaizo hacks. I'd rather watch someone else play them but that doesn't mean I don't appreciate them.

Seeeeph