News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules

Author Topic: Hack ideas: for those without the skill but with all the ideas.  (Read 3168893 times)

EricMagnefico

• View Profile
Re: Hack ideas: for those without the skill but with all the ideas.
« Reply #8240 on: May 20, 2022, 12:23:44 pm »
Would love to see an updated version of this hack that restores the names officially used in Mega Man 2 (IE, "Clash" to "Crash", "Buzz Saw" to "Metal Blade"): https://www.romhacking.net/translations/5786/

Though I could do with or without the transport item names restored ("Jet Sled" or "Item-2").

Yeah, I know I made a thread on this, but I just wanted to throw this idea out there.

julayla

• View Profile
« Reply #8241 on: May 21, 2022, 06:54:16 pm »
I was recently watching a YT documentary on the Sega Club games. And there's two hacks that I wish would be done to Crystal Pony. I think if done right, it can be redone as a My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic or a Last Unicorn video game with the artwork of either show or movie redone with challenging puzzle solving. At least in my opinion. It would be a blast to play as either one of the Mane Six or the Unicorn in a Genesis type game.

Zacktheasdfguy

• View Profile
« Reply #8242 on: May 22, 2022, 12:12:02 am »
Hi, I Was Wondering If You Could Make Dubs For Final Fantasy 2-6? I'd Like To Be Able to Play The Full Legacy But Suffer From Not Having Any PS1 Emulation. So Could You Please Translate These Games?
Roms To Use:
Final Fantasy II(NES)
Final Fantasy III(NES)
Final Fantasy IV(SNES)
Final Fantasy V(SNES)
Final Fantasy VI(SNES)

pocket

• Super Mario Bros. Super Nerd
    • View Profile
    • my gaming tumblr
« Reply #8243 on: May 22, 2022, 06:23:37 am »
I just finished playing both of Choppasmith's wonderful Project Re-Quest mods for Dragon Warrior I and II for the NES and they were fantastic, I'm looking forward to Dragon Warrior III.

However, for Dragon Warrior IV, I actually kind of prefer the translation of the original NES game as opposed to the over the top accents of the mobile remake. But I still prefer the modern names for spells and monsters.  I'm honestly surprised a modernized spell patch for DQIV doesn't already exist. It's the only NES DQ game that doesn't have something like that.

I'd like to see a hack of Dragon Warrior IV that, at minimum, modernizes spell names, but also would be nice to see one with a title screen that changes "Warrior" to "Quest", and use other modernized names for monsters, items, locations, ect, but keeps the translation without the accents from the NES game.
Somebody alert me when a user friendly BS Zelda hacking tool is made. I will give my soul to work on a faithful SNES remake of Zelda 1.

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8244 on: May 22, 2022, 11:35:01 am »
Hi, I Was Wondering If You Could Make Dubs For Final Fantasy 2-6? I'd Like To Be Able to Play The Full Legacy But Suffer From Not Having Any PS1 Emulation. So Could You Please Translate These Games?
Roms To Use:
Final Fantasy II(NES)
Final Fantasy III(NES)
Final Fantasy IV(SNES)
Final Fantasy V(SNES)
Final Fantasy VI(SNES)
I think you might need to be more specific. This post doesn't make much sense.
Are you saying you can't play the PlayStation games?
What did you want them translated to?

It's not something I can do anyways, but this is a very incomplete request. I only ask for curiosity.
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

Arcade-Elite

• View Profile
« Reply #8245 on: May 22, 2022, 04:56:14 pm »
Before Kirby there was Gimmick. In celebration of the new Mr. Gimmick arcade game coming out   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-6d3rKIszdk&t=136s  i think it would be perfect for someone to hack a small famicom game called Hirake! Ponkikki. And replace the
main characters to Gimmick and Kirby. Would need to hack the cutscenes as well for gimmick and kirby but i think it would definitely
fit this game. And how easy the game is as well it's perfect for kids to know who Mr. Gimmick is. Hope you guys come threw with this.  :beer: ;)

CyberFox

• View Profile
« Reply #8246 on: May 23, 2022, 04:40:13 am »
I would love to see a NES Homebrew port of Pac-Attack

Brutapode89

• View Profile
« Reply #8247 on: May 24, 2022, 01:24:26 pm »
A why not a GBA homebrew port of Super Mario Bros. and Super Mario Bros.: The Lost Levels with Super Mario All-Stars (SNES) graphics? We could name it "Super Mario Bros.: Super Mario Advance 5" :D

Mindflower

• View Profile
« Reply #8248 on: May 24, 2022, 07:28:33 pm »
I wondered why there are almost no hacks for the Super Famicom Release of Dragon Quest III, i think it's a gorgeous title.
And i specifally wondered if there exists an attempt to restore the more challenging difficulty of the original Famicom Game, while still retaining all the Improvements and QoL Changes.

Brutapode89

• View Profile
« Reply #8249 on: May 25, 2022, 11:14:16 pm »
By the way, we could make two FF4 hacks on SNES:

- Final Fantasy IV: Interlude
- Final Fantasy IV: The After Years

;)

pocket

• View Profile
    • my gaming tumblr
« Reply #8250 on: May 27, 2022, 04:40:39 am »
I already said something in this thread about Blaster Master severely needing a balance patch, but I've been reminded of that game again, because I was playing Fester's Quest today (which might as well be a Blaster Master game ), using Maeson's European Gameplay Changes patch, and it went down very smoothly.

Fester's Quest has a similar power up system to Blaster Master but unlike Blaster Master, Fester's gun doesn't lose power when he takes damage, rather, there are de-buff items he must avoid. It's almost impossible to make it to the bosses without taking damage, and the bosses border on unfair if you aren't fully powered up. Blaster Master also has no continues, when you die four times, it's game over... But Fester's Quest on the other hand, has no lives, and if you die once, you go back to the beginning of the game, but you keep your power ups, and all the bosses are still dead... I kind of prefer this system to Blaster Master, especially since Blaster Master would be better suited for something like that.  But I'm not saying that's what I want for Blaster Master, that would just be better than what it currently has.  I think ideally, Blaster Master should just have infinite lives, since the checkpoints are pretty harsh anyways.

On the subject of Fester's Quest, I think it's bosses need balancing even with the European Gameplay changes. It feels like the only way to beat the bosses after the second one is to save your invincibility and healing potions... also this is less gameplay and more aesthetic, but I really think the game needs a color pallet adjustment.  Less brown and dead looking grass, and more blue-ish green to make it look like the game takes place at night and match the look of the spooky box art.
Somebody alert me when a user friendly BS Zelda hacking tool is made. I will give my soul to work on a faithful SNES remake of Zelda 1.

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8251 on: May 27, 2022, 10:53:38 am »
I think I've responded before but reportedly Meta Fight has unlimited continues and keeps power-ups on reset.
I've seen a streamer play it and they used and abused that for speedrun strats.
(though that would make it an example of one of the few games were the official VC releases and making a mistake by not including a Hard Reset option in addition to the (soft) Reset function.)

I wondered why there are almost no hacks for the Super Famicom Release of Dragon Quest III, i think it's a gorgeous title.
And i specifally wondered if there exists an attempt to restore the more challenging difficulty of the original Famicom Game, while still retaining all the Improvements and QoL Changes.
Is it more "challenging" other than just lower EXP/Gold from enemies?
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

Googie

• Keepin' ROM Hacking gangsta since 2003, baby!
    • View Profile
    • My work in progress ROM Hacking site
« Reply #8252 on: May 27, 2022, 05:23:11 pm »
I'd like to see a Balloon Fight hack that when the last enemy is standing, the last enemy turns red getting angry and aggressive.

And it'd be cool to see this Balloon Fight hack ported to the NES, looks like it comes from Mame.

EricMagnefico

• View Profile
« Reply #8253 on: May 27, 2022, 05:50:18 pm »
Also, I'd love to see a hack of Wario World where all the English dialogue's carried over to the JP version (IE, a much better Black Jewel boss fight at the end).

Or at least, a hack of the ENG ISO where the Black Jewel fight's like the JP release.

pocket

• View Profile
    • my gaming tumblr
« Reply #8254 on: May 27, 2022, 08:34:15 pm »
I think I've responded before but reportedly Meta Fight has unlimited continues and keeps power-ups on reset.
I've seen a streamer play it and they used and abused that for speedrun strats.
(though that would make it an example of one of the few games were the official VC releases and making a mistake by not including a Hard Reset option in addition to the (soft) Reset function.)

True, it does have infinite continues in the Japanese release, no doubt they were removed from the USA release to increase the number of rentals.  There's also no text in the Japanese version so it's not like there's a language barrier, the one thing the USA version has that the Japanese version doesn't is an introduction cutscene... also it removed that horrid leap of faith moment at the end of level 4. I still think keeping gun upgrades but maybe making them harder to come by might go a long way with this game.

The Beaky Buccaneer

• View Profile
« Reply #8255 on: May 28, 2022, 01:20:16 am »
And it'd be cool to see this Balloon Fight hack ported to the NES, looks like it comes from Mame.
Fishwar, like many other cosmetic hacks of first-party Nintendo releases, is from some bootleg Famiclone or other. Assuming that it wasn't hacked for those clones that offer more capabilities than the official hardware, it already exists for the NES somewhere out there. :thumbsup:

CyberFox

• View Profile
« Reply #8256 on: May 28, 2022, 07:20:17 am »
Here's a funny hack idea

A SNES Rom hack of any of the SuFami Lupin the 3rd games with the universe of DreamWorks's "The Bad Guys" injected in