News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: New TMNT editor?  (Read 3962 times)

snarfblam

• Submission Reviewer
  • CANT HACK METROID
    • View Profile
    • snarfblam
New TMNT editor?
« on: November 27, 2011, 12:32:29 pm »
It looks like there might be at least some interest in a new level editor for TMNT.

I slapped something minimal together. It certainly can't do anything that Cowabunga couldn't (and I haven't bothered to make a save function), but it's a starting point that might turn into something if people are willing to chip in. Right now it just edits the backgrounds for side-scrolling areas of level 1. Poorly.

Here's a list of resources I'm aware of.

Not a whole lot to go on, and it doesn't help us get anywhere beyond what Cowabunga can do. I'm a bit busy right now, getting ready to move, so I can't sink tens of hours into a disassembler right now. I can chip away at the editor and rom documentation here and there. It's really going to come down to whether people are interested and willing to help.

Here is the C# project so far:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/12027218/TurtleProject%201.zip
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/12027218/TurtleProject%200.2.zip

« Last Edit: December 08, 2011, 07:55:17 pm by snarfblam »

Lindblum

• Sometimes... Sometimes the diaper leaks.
    • View Profile
Re: New TMNT editor?
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2011, 11:00:40 pm »
SharpDevelop won't compile it for me, but I'm pretty handy with FCEUX debugging.  I should be able to trace enemy properties and write hacks for their AI if you need me to.
e.g. I already played around a little to find 0x17263 holds Bebop's charging speed, and 0x16C4D holds Rocksteady's charging speed.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2011, 01:23:02 am by Lindblum »
Confidence is the feeling you have before you understand the situation.

snarfblam

• Submission Reviewer
  • CANT HACK METROID
    • View Profile
    • snarfblam
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2011, 07:53:30 pm »
What was the problem you ran into with SharpDevelop? I don't know what versions of .NET SharpDevelop supports, but the project targeted 3.5. There's nothing we need in there, so I changed the target runtime to 2.0.

Also, I've added info from a number of sources into the DataCrystal RAM map. I haven't gone through cowabunga.ini or other ROM data yet.

If this thing gets off the ground, eventually I would like to get a public working "variables.asm" file that can be used in conjunction with a custom disassembler to create easy-to-read disassembly. Either that, or a set of symbol files to be used with FCEUX.

SpiderWaffle

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2011, 09:46:17 pm »
I'd love to see this get off the ground.  I've been trying to contact Frank Maggiore every way I can but no response so far.  I'm not sure what else I can do to help with this as I have very limited coding knowledge and experience.

PanMan

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2013, 11:58:08 pm »
Hey guys!  I'm new to the forum and new to rom hacking.  TMNT is my favourite game on the NES, possibly due to the ability to switch characters at will and the fact that they each have distinct skills (not to mention I'm a big TMNT fan).

I've always wanted to recreate the fun of playing the original, and Frank Maggiore's hack got my imagination racing.  I want to create more hacks and have other people create awesome ones too!  I have already begun a hack using the Cowabunga level editor, and while it is progressing well so far, I am limited in what I can edit with this editor. 

I am really hoping this project gets off the ground.  I am a complete beginner at this but I am trying to learn how to hack this rom little by little.  I am willing to help any way I can.  Even if we can create something to modify the overworld maps and move around the entrances/exits from levels, etc. 

Anyways, let me know how I can help!  I really want this to get off the ground.

Da_GPer

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2013, 04:13:31 pm »
Nice! I would love to see if I can make a new TMNT game someday. Hopefully, this program can do that, once its done.... or close enough that one can be made using it.

macbee

• View Profile
    • MCBRemakes
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2013, 02:44:50 pm »
Amazing!
A sprite editor (like CADEditor: http://www.romhacking.net/utilities/967/) would be nice.  I'd love to make bigger sprites on TMNT.

snarfblam

• Submission Reviewer
  • CANT HACK METROID
    • View Profile
    • snarfblam
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2013, 05:54:15 pm »
I would look into expanding thr capabilities of this editor, but at the moment I am without a computer.  :(