News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: SMD text hacking  (Read 2581 times)

tashi

• View Profile
SMD text hacking
« on: November 21, 2011, 08:40:06 pm »
Hello. I am translating Lord Monarch for the Sega Genesis. I am new to this scene but have been following what resources I can find. At this point, I have dumped the script, inserted a tentative English font, and would like to start inserting text. But I hit a snag here. All the letters are 4 8x8 tiles, and I want to rework the font engine to draw them as 8x16 fonts instead. If RedComet sees this, I would love to know what assembler you used for your SMD hacks. I would also appreciate any suggestions on what someone without any assembly experience should do.

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
Re: SMD text hacking
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2011, 09:23:26 pm »
Probably a safe bet RedComet used his own assembler SEKAS, that he hasn't released publicly yet.

Reducing the font size would require ASM hacking, unfortunately.
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

tashi

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2011, 10:13:22 pm »
Thank you for your answers, KingMike.

RedComet

• View Profile
    • Twilight Translations
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2011, 11:19:09 pm »
SEKAS is going through a major rewrite at the moment. After I started using the previous version for actual development (i.e. non-romhacking programming), I quickly discovered how limited and buggy it is. The new version has been rewritten from scratch rather than building directly on xkas v0.06. With any luck, I'd like to finish it up by Christmas.

I started the rewrite the first week of August and got a lot done in the three weeks before class started and decided to suck up all of my time. Macro support will be added after the initial release, as I'm still unsure of how exactly I want to implement them. There's also a boatload of optimizations that should be done to make sure everything runs quickly. I'm still coming up with new ideas and throwing them out all the time, too.

On the plus side, my CS professor thought it was pretty cool. :P
Twilight Translations - More than just Dragonball Z. :P

tashi

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2011, 06:42:12 am »
I appreciate your reply & information regarding the status of SEKAS, RedComet. Good luck and God speed with it.