News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Rondo of Blood English Patch (PSP to TurboGrafx-CD).  (Read 92470 times)

Spooniest

• Restricted Access
  • Madge, I want your body! 'harry your a beast!11'
    • View Profile
Re: Rondo of Blood PSP dub for PC-Engine.
« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2012, 09:40:06 pm »
I wanted to add that so far, applying the new patches over an already-patched copy works just fine. I'm really looking forward to the completion of the project. Playing this game in English through my bad ass sound system rocks so hard.

reyvgm

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 12, 2012, 01:06:43 am »
Yeah the X shouldn't be there unless you are going to call the game Castlevania Dracula X Rondo of Blood.

Someone mentioned about translating the signposts. If someone gives me the translation and screenshots of the signs, I can use my artistry to insert the text into the signs.

Some examples of my miniature work:

Gemini

• 時を越えよう、そして彼女の元に戻ろう
    • View Profile
    • Apple of Eden
« Reply #22 on: January 12, 2012, 03:18:50 am »
Yeah the X shouldn't be there unless you are going to call the game Castlevania Dracula X Rondo of Blood.
I agree on this one. SOTN, which belongs to the Dracula X series as a direct sequel to Rondo of Blood, never had the X in the occidental prints.
I am the lord, you all know my name, now. I got it all: cash, money, and fame.

odditude

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 12, 2012, 02:48:39 pm »
I agree on this one. SOTN, which belongs to the Dracula X series as a direct sequel to Rondo of Blood, never had the X in the occidental prints.
very true; i concede.

tomaitheous

• View Profile
    • PC Engine Dev
« Reply #24 on: January 12, 2012, 07:08:50 pm »
Almost finished...

Found a tricky part of code in the title sequence. If you press start to skip the intro, to go directly to the title screen (you can't do this if there is no save file), it loads alternate data for the title screen: SAT and PAL data. So I tracked those down and changed those as well. As you can see, final animation phase/stage of the title screen SAT data is finished. I just have to modify the two other animation frame SATs.

Spooniest

• Restricted Access
  • Madge, I want your body! 'harry your a beast!11'
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 12, 2012, 07:12:04 pm »
This is turning into "the game that Konami should have released in 1994." They could have done a Sega CD port of it...who knows what would've happened to that system then, eh?

I wish there was more I could do to help other than just offer many kudos all around. Nice job, dudes!

Vanya

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 12, 2012, 07:52:47 pm »
To be honest, despite the amazing work on the title screen, I don't like the Bloodlines style logo.

fragmare

« Reply #27 on: January 12, 2012, 08:17:10 pm »
Looking nice!  Glad to see the title screen I made make it into the patch.  :)

Pennywise

• I'm curious
    • View Profile
    • Yojimbo's Translations
« Reply #28 on: January 12, 2012, 08:54:55 pm »
Legendary??? Heh...

I remember when I first started dabbling in romhacking and one way or another came in contact with g8z et al and I more or less called him a legend and his response was pretty much the same as yours. You're mastery/expertise/whatever the hell you want to call it for the PC Engine is quite impressive. While perhaps not legendary, enough to have others look up to you with the various technical feats you've accomplished on the system. As usual impressive work and looking forward to seeing more.

tomaitheous

• View Profile
    • PC Engine Dev
« Reply #29 on: January 12, 2012, 10:22:57 pm »

Ok, it's complete. I'll pack up and PM you a patch or ISO and have you test it out (need to figure out/remember how to make an ISO patch).

While I was at it, I looked at the ferryman text. It's in the ISO at $49d7c0. The ISO itself is a mess and sometimes hard to find stuff as it has tons of repeat data in there (and some of it pre-final stuff). The text is vertical and I might be able to cheat and create a hard coded pic to show in its place (though still vertical). Will need to see if there's some free space for it.

But what I really want to look at next is the print routine for the intro. Get rid of the SJIS character parser and replace the font with something 8x12 or 8x16.

Pennywise: Thanks for the kind words :)

Burnt Lasagna

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 13, 2012, 11:43:31 am »
Awesome work tomaitheous!
One thing I noticed though is that the copyright information is now pink (was originally red). Not really an issue but odd none the less.

I'm thinking about replacing the ADPCM for the Slash with the sound of a church bell ringing (like the title screen to Clock Tower: First Fear).
I've also (finally) decided to look at the file structure for Castlevania The Dracula X Chronicles and found out that all the ADPCM clips (with a few exceptions) are just laying there in AT3 format! Now I can use a direct rip from the PSP dub instead of having to use the audio from YouTube videos!

I’ve also found the ADPCM clips for the character select screen in the PC-Engine version. Sadly when I said there were a few exceptions to the AT3 files, this was one of them (the other thing being the dialogue for Death but that’s not really an issue). I was able to record the dialogue though by silencing the Redbook AT3 file for Kyrie Eleison (the menu music) then recording the voices from there without the music deluding anything. 

So the next release of the patch, aside from everything tomaitheous has been doing, will also have better audio quality and have the character select screen dubbed.

reyvgm: I can’t seem too located where the signpost graphics are. If anyone else wants’ to hunt these down then by all means, be my guest.
I’ll try and get a screen shot for you of both signposts. I believe the translation the PSP version had for the first signpost in stage1 was "ALJIBA" not sure on the second sign though.

« Last Edit: January 13, 2012, 11:54:31 am by Burnt Lasagna »

reyvgm

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 13, 2012, 12:30:42 pm »
Post the pics here so I can start working on them. If one day you find where the graphics are located, then you'll already have the files.

tomaitheous

• View Profile
    • PC Engine Dev
« Reply #32 on: January 13, 2012, 01:01:57 pm »
Ok, I think I've completed the replacement print routine for the intro scene. A couple of example pics:

The game originally uses the typical 12x12 SJIS font that almost all PCE CD game use. So I made a 6x12 font and hooked the GETFONT bios call (jsr to it). The hook draws two 6x12 roman chars into the 12x12 space and then passes it back to the original print routine handler, so it's none the wiser. Also, there's now support for ASCII single byte text, since value lower then $7b is considered ascii by the hook (if SJIS MSbyte byte found, it bypass and calls the original bios GETFONT. For instance, "DRACULA" might be better visually if using the SJIS wide font rather than the new one for dramatic effect). So, twice the number of characters per visual string onscreen and now twice the space for text compared to as before.

If you want/need to reword the intro, I guess now would be as good a time as any :)

Burnt Lasagna

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 13, 2012, 01:52:31 pm »
Wow, you work fast!
Where going with the PSP translation for the intro.
The only video I could find for it though was on some guy’s walkthrough.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GUtkG3zn2HI

I know pemdawg (one of our team members) has the entire PSP intro typed down. If you need it I can send him an email. 

reyvgm: Here is a screenshot of the first signposts.

reyvgm

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 13, 2012, 02:43:13 pm »
Ah, but that's a simple text line. I thought it was going to be more elaborate.

Are you sure that isn't stored in the game as plain text? Because it doesn't look to me that the text is part of the text bubble.

Burnt Lasagna

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 13, 2012, 02:49:50 pm »
Ah, but that's a simple text line. I thought it was going to be more elaborate.

Are you sure that isn't stored in the game as plain text? Because it doesn't look to me that the text is part of the text bubble.
I know, I was thinking the same thing.
The reason I think it's a graphic is because cubanraul said that he, thought, that he discovered that those where graphics back in 2004.

I'm not so sure about that now though :-\

tomaitheous

• View Profile
    • PC Engine Dev
« Reply #36 on: January 13, 2012, 02:51:51 pm »
It's not part of a font set, but actual stored sprites(graphics) just for that message. I've located it and it's compressed, but I can recompress a replacement for it as long as the replacement chars are pretty close to the same height and width (the current chars are 8 pixels wide including white space).

reyvgm

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 13, 2012, 02:53:01 pm »
Well, the text bubble is a graphic, but the text is most likely not. I've seen that same font style in other PCE games before. But of course, I could be wrong :P

Burnt Lasagna

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 13, 2012, 08:27:55 pm »
Pemdawg just sent me a screen of the second signpost.

I don't know what it translates into though nor PSP translation for it.

reyvgm

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 13, 2012, 09:59:02 pm »
The PSP version says "DEADLY".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTYndLlBzgc

*edit*

Done, take your pick. Assuming it's not in plain text.

« Last Edit: January 13, 2012, 10:38:10 pm by reyvgm »