Ok, I think I've completed the replacement print routine for the intro scene. A couple of example pics:
The game originally uses the typical 12x12 SJIS font that almost all PCE CD game use. So I made a 6x12 font and hooked the GETFONT bios call (jsr to it). The hook draws two 6x12 roman chars into the 12x12 space and then passes it back to the original print routine handler, so it's none the wiser. Also, there's now support for ASCII single byte text, since value lower then $7b is considered ascii by the hook (if SJIS MSbyte byte found, it bypass and calls the original bios GETFONT. For instance, "DRACULA" might be better visually if using the SJIS wide font rather than the new one for dramatic effect). So, twice the number of characters per visual string onscreen and now twice the space for text compared to as before.
If you want/need to reword the intro, I guess now would be as good a time as any