News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Mystic Quest Reborn / Mystic Quest HardType  (Read 13802 times)

Vegetaman

• Child of Doom
    • View Profile
Re: Mystic Quest Reborn / Mystic Quest HardType
« Reply #20 on: November 25, 2011, 09:38:46 pm »
I would absolutely love to get involved with the data mining of the ROM for this game, but alas I need to stick with Lufia for the time being (I have a lot of work left to do there)... But I am interested to see how treasure chests / items in treasure chests work...

Jigglysaint

• Corruptomancer
    • View Profile
    • Stuff Jigglysaint has done(like discover the Crocomire in MZM)
« Reply #21 on: November 26, 2011, 10:38:36 am »
I would absolutely love to get involved with the data mining of the ROM for this game, but alas I need to stick with Lufia for the time being (I have a lot of work left to do there)... But I am interested to see how treasure chests / items in treasure chests work...

Don't worry, I've got that covered.  For Mystic Quest, how chests work is that in the sprite data, there is a specific byte that determines which index the sprite gets it's data from.  If it's 03 or some other bitwise combination, then it's a scripted event.  If it's 0B, then it's an enemy encounter.  If it's 13, then it's a chest.  How it works is that there is a chest index at $8000 that covers many different chests.  Even though most chests in the game are refillable, they are all given a unique chest ID.  Only values 00 to 1C are flagged(thus only that many chests can contain unique items), and the first byte in the sprite data matches that flag, or another event flag to hide the event if you trigger it and come back.

As for the Chest data in Lufia, each map has a script index that contains things like the chest data and other sprite data.  However, it matches up to the level data which means that you could shift the contents of a chest, but you cannot relocate it without altering the map, and the map data is compressed(so is Mystic Quest but chests are relocatable).

The only thing is that I found where the auto events are located(seperate table), but can't find the co-ordinates or map designation data.  This is important because without it, bosses can't be relocated since some of them(especially crystal bosses) are auto events.

JCE3000GT

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 26, 2011, 05:12:33 pm »
Don't worry, I've got that covered.  For Mystic Quest, how chests work is that in the sprite data, there is a specific byte that determines which index the sprite gets it's data from.  If it's 03 or some other bitwise combination, then it's a scripted event.  If it's 0B, then it's an enemy encounter.  If it's 13, then it's a chest.  How it works is that there is a chest index at $8000 that covers many different chests.  Even though most chests in the game are refillable, they are all given a unique chest ID.  Only values 00 to 1C are flagged(thus only that many chests can contain unique items), and the first byte in the sprite data matches that flag, or another event flag to hide the event if you trigger it and come back.

As for the Chest data in Lufia, each map has a script index that contains things like the chest data and other sprite data.  However, it matches up to the level data which means that you could shift the contents of a chest, but you cannot relocate it without altering the map, and the map data is compressed(so is Mystic Quest but chests are relocatable).

The only thing is that I found where the auto events are located(seperate table), but can't find the co-ordinates or map designation data.  This is important because without it, bosses can't be relocated since some of them(especially crystal bosses) are auto events.

We definitely will dig deeper in MQ for the chest data for sure.

As for Lufia 1, what I wouldn't give for a map editor.  I'd love to redesign a new game completely with Lufia 1's game engine.  I love that game to death. 

Jigglysaint

• Corruptomancer
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 27, 2011, 01:51:28 am »
I wish I could program.  I'm practically sitting on a goldmine of data that could churn out SNES level editors the same way Snowbro used to churn out NES editors.

Yeah I've got Lufia map data too.  Both games actually.  I keep a bookmark of important offsets for quite a few games.

JCE3000GT

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 27, 2011, 05:24:21 am »
I wish I could program.  I'm practically sitting on a goldmine of data that could churn out SNES level editors the same way Snowbro used to churn out NES editors.

Yeah I've got Lufia map data too.  Both games actually.  I keep a bookmark of important offsets for quite a few games.

Do you post this information on Data Crystal?  I know at least the Lufia info would get a huge following.   ;D

And while I can write editors, they are in VB6 and not all that impressive really.  I'd call them more utilities to aid the ROM hacker use hex programs for the good stuff and not so much for the statistical data that most people (except me) don't like to deal with.    8)

Jigglysaint

• Corruptomancer
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 27, 2011, 12:34:54 pm »
I should, though my big fear is that I don't put the data in it's proper format and have it deleted.  I'm not good at following formatting rules without feeling like I'll get judged.

golden

• View Profile
    • Mare Incognitum
« Reply #26 on: November 27, 2011, 03:48:30 pm »
Jigglysaint, you can rest assured, we don't delete entries because they're badly formatted. As a matter of fact, Data Crystal doesn't have any strict formatting guidelines, everything you need to know on how to present your information is described here. You can also check out existing pages and view their source.

And if you have any specific doubts regarding Data Crystal feel free to PM me :)

What Defines A Monster?

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 28, 2011, 10:06:24 am »
If you're truly planning on making this a "hardtype" game, starting with the item chests would be a good way to go. They respawn without limit, allowing the player to keep coming back and back and back to get however many of whatever item is in them...
What sayest thou, o fool? I say that religion hath done my bidding for me- while ye pretend free will exists, ye take it away and convert by force. Such is ye, who do my work.

JCE3000GT

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 28, 2011, 06:31:09 pm »
If you're truly planning on making this a "hardtype" game, starting with the item chests would be a good way to go. They respawn without limit, allowing the player to keep coming back and back and back to get however many of whatever item is in them...

Oh trust me, that has always been on my agenda.  ;)  Now thanks to Jiggly finding almost all of the data for me it will be sooner rather than later.  I've got such a good idea for those treasures...   :laugh:

I've got someone (Zeemis) working on some new graphics for me and with the new NPC/treasure data here I might need to push my release date back...  Hopefully not.  I just hope I can find someone to rewrite the and insert a new script...

A big thank you to all who are supporting me and or the mod from all avenues, I appreciate it.  It was the email and forum support that got me back on the project after almost 2 years of inactivity.  Once finished I will be proud of it regardless.  What I cannot wait for is to play it on real hardware.   :happy:

Shinrin

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 13, 2011, 05:07:11 pm »
Bregalad-

It's obviously not worth the time to even bother discussing with JCE3000GT. If you noticed the previous post, he responded to legitimate critiques of his hack (you know, the one he claimed had "100 to 1 positive") with nothing but weak rebuttal attempts.

Your points, on the other hand, hit the nail on the head.

When I say his replacement music sounds like bad MIDI, I mean that it sounds like he took classic tunes, ran them through a low quality FM-synth MIDI DOS card, then shoved them into the game. That should be specific enough.

He claims that he uses "FFV" and "Secret of Mana" music... but he isn't.

This (skip to 1:35) is NOT the equivalent of this, no matter how much he thinks it is. His version of the FF prelude theme is equally atrocious. THIS is FFV's Prelude, not whatever it is that he's using.

The Super NES had (has?) a unique, superb wavetable system. That was one of the reasons why it it was such a standout system for Square's RPGs- they could put amazing orchestrations through their paces on the system. Taking pieces like Prelude and Angel's Fear and reducing them to what sounds like FM synth does a disservice to both the original Mystic Quest music AND to the material you're replacing it with.

Seriously, he treats any and all honest assessments of his "work" like he's defending HIMSELF. And that's never, ever a good thing when it comes to a ROMhack.

To be quite honest with you, they are from SoM and FFV, when you import music from another game to the game you want it to be in, you have to use the Games music instruments, for this example, FFMQ's music instruments, Same goes when importing FF6, RS3 and Radical Dreamers Songs into CT.

I wish i still had my Johnny C. Bad import to CT spc. It sounded 100 times better than what it sounded like in FFVI.

While that sounds better the FFVI Prelude doesn't hold up to well in CT. and sounds midi like.

Just stating a fact about music importing.
I  support Pandora's Box!
Released Hacks: FF6 Hard Challenge and Chrono Trigger Ingame loading
Coming Soon: Matsumi - Saga 1

JCE3000GT

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: May 24, 2012, 01:29:52 am »
I'm nearing the final public release.  I've got a few beta testers finishing up their runs and I'm fixing any issues that come up.  So far all the data that was to be changed has been changed, minus the story script.  The only thing I need now is someone who can rewrite the script to sound more adult and Final Fantasy like.  Doesn't have to be massively different story-wise just change the overall tone away from the youth feel.  If you've got the time and would like to help out please feel free to post here or here

I'd like to have a release in June, but, that is negotiable depending on how much stuff the beta testers find and who (if any) can rewrite the game's dialogue. 

Cheers,
JCE