News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Dte and insertion help  (Read 13517 times)

Forbiddencreed

• View Profile
Re: Dte and insertion help
« Reply #40 on: November 11, 2011, 08:17:13 am »
ok... now i am confused, the debug menu uses 2-byte characters but everywhere else in the game where English letters are used (because thats what the debug menu uses) it uses 4-byte characters and ofcourse me trying to find a way out of messing with the asm (and being a little too hopeful even though i knew it would fail, but i couldn't pass up the temptation of the 2byte-chars and the smaller font, it would make my job quite a bit easier) tried putting it in a menu place and ofcourse it failed, well what i am wondering about is... Why and how does the game allow those characters to be used in the debug menu and not in the regular menus and vice-versa.

Note* There are 2 english alphabets one is used in the debug menu and the other is used everywhere else. and the debug menu doesnt allow 4byte chars and the regular menus don't allow the 2-byte.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2011, 08:29:14 am by Forbiddencreed »

Auryn

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 11, 2011, 06:02:11 pm »
umm.. that is strange.

I was just looking at a game today that have Sjis encoding in some files and UTF-8 in others but there are even those that support boths.
To tell the game what encoding to use in those files with both encoding, there was a byte (always the same) in front of each letter that was Sjis. By eleminating that byte, I could write in unicode even single byte.

If you have something similar in your game, try eleminating 2 bytes and use only the Sjis encoding.

Forbiddencreed

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 11, 2011, 08:20:41 pm »

If you have something similar in your game, try eleminating 2 bytes and use only the Sjis encoding.

ok so you telling me to try getting rid of the 2byte font, correct?'

edit: i made a mistake on the last post while i was half asleep, sorry. Anyways the mistake i made was that the chars are 2byte, and 4byte its 1byte and 2byte characters.

also what game were you looking at?
« Last Edit: November 11, 2011, 09:48:43 pm by Forbiddencreed »

Auryn

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 12, 2011, 12:37:13 am »

and 4byte its 1byte and 2byte characters.

also what game were you looking at?

well, it's looking that now you didn't wake up 100% then :p
1byte+2bytes=3bytes

anyway...as example:
E3 83 AD E3 83 BC E3 83 81 = ロ ー チ
just try to get rid of all the E3

Don't worry, it's not the same as yours...it's on Wii.

Forbiddencreed

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 12, 2011, 01:04:38 pm »
I just wanted to open up that rom to see if i could use it as an example, but since you gave me an example... i guess i dont need it. Also the game i have opened up is not set up like that....
hmm... maybe maybe the game is told which fomat to use right before or after the text and i overlooked it... (human error is always a possibility).

Auryn

• View Profile
« Reply #45 on: November 12, 2011, 03:10:33 pm »
Wii hacking is a bit more complicated than for the NDS, you need to use specific programs just to get to see the decrypted files from the DVD.

Forbiddencreed

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 12, 2011, 03:40:45 pm »
I see... is it also the same for ps2 and ps3 rom hacking? (I have only opened up roms from cartridge using games)
« Last Edit: November 12, 2011, 06:35:54 pm by Forbiddencreed »

Auryn

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 12, 2011, 11:04:35 pm »
No, it's not the same.
If you put a ps2 dvd (and believe that the ps3 BR too) in a pc drive, you will see the files on the disk but if you put a NGC or an Wii disk on a pc drive, you will see nothing.
The same apply for the files, I believe ps2/3 file can be just copied from dvd/br to your hdd with window but not NGC/Wii files.

Forbiddencreed

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 12, 2011, 11:18:14 pm »
ohh i see, i heard about that... but i thought only certain games were like that...

well back onto my romhacking, well attempt at romhacking...

I cant find anything that might be telling the game which encoding to use... and then when i was screwing around while thinking about where the game might be telling it which incoding to use i noticed there are some symbols that wont appear even though the tile is there with the rest of the font... so i tried out all of the symbols ( #, $, %, +, -, ect.) and in some cases there is one that wont appear but its two adjacent symbols will appear... Honestly im stumpped and now im just doing trail and error hoping i stumble upon something or i think of something useful.

edit: Nevermind the symbols are loading now... i think this game has either learned black magic or is very moody.

Edit again: cant get my mind off this game so im going back too it... also if anyone knows anything about how this game chooses chooses which font to use (1byte or 2byte), dont be afraid to speak up. I am going back to trying to figure this out...
« Last Edit: November 14, 2011, 01:43:34 pm by Forbiddencreed »