News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: A Link to the Past, GBA Script Hack  (Read 3959 times)

TRIFORCE89

• View Profile
A Link to the Past, GBA Script Hack
« on: September 09, 2011, 08:40:52 am »
Hi,

I want to edit the text from the GBA version of ALttP (this doesn't have the same text limitations as the SuperNES version). Somewhat of a retranslation. How would I go about doing this?

I can't get it working with Hyrule Magic (I think that's SuperNES only) and I tried opening it in a hex editor and I just see garbage.

Thanks,

Jorpho

• The cat screams with the voice of a man.
    • View Profile
Re: A Link to the Past, GBA Script Hack
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2011, 09:30:35 am »
(this doesn't have the same text limitations as the SuperNES version)
What brings you to that conclusion?
I tried opening it in a hex editor and I just see garbage.
What, you were expecting to see everything neatly laid out in ASCII?

See the "Getting Started" link off to the left, particularly The Definitive Guide to ROM Hacking for Complete Beginners.
This signature is an illusion and is a trap devised by Satan. Go ahead dauntlessly! Make rapid progres!

TRIFORCE89

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2011, 10:09:39 am »
What brings you to that conclusion?What, you were expecting to see everything neatly laid out in ASCII?
Because the text in the GBA version is often longer. I've seen some threads on other sites where people tried to copy/paste the GBA dialogue into ALttP and it wouldn't fit. So, the GBA version should allow for more breathing room as it's already longer.

See the "Getting Started" link off to the left, particularly The Definitive Guide to ROM Hacking for Complete Beginners.
[/quote]
Well, I did find one instance of "Zelda". I'll check out that link, thanks.

Next Gen Cowboy

• "People are like dice"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2011, 04:11:52 pm »
What applies to Zelda GBA, or SNES will mostly apply to everything, in terms of how things are done. There's always hangups, and hiccups but for the most part how something works remains the same.

If you have a table, and a hex editor for example (the proper table anyway) changing text (in theory) is the same in Zelda SNES, as it is Final Fantasy NES (which is the game used in the basic beginer guide, and very helpful)

In practice it's not always that easy, but in theory it works!

On a side note: I'm completely unsure of whether your statements are true regarding there being more space in one than in the other.
"Remember when we were in Japan? You said you were my gun, if you're the gun then that means I'm the bullet."

"All my life I've been waiting for the gunpowder to go off, you know what you need to ignite gunpowder? You need a gun."