News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Tales of Phantasia SNES (Enhancement) (Slow WIP)  (Read 118307 times)

justin3009

• Welp
    • View Profile
Re: Tales of Phantasia SNES (Enhancement) (Slow WIP)
« Reply #240 on: August 30, 2018, 02:52:36 pm »
Okay, so, been awhile since I've posted on this thread but loooooots of overall updates since last time.

1. All PC's but Arche & Cless can be played properly. Arche is pretty close but she has some very interesting coding issues I need to work out. Mainly due to her flying maneuvers. This will be kind of a pain to deal with. Cless, as well, is technically working to a very small extent. He only has his idle, walking, running and first attack properly ported into new space. I have to COMPLETELY move all of his other commands.. which is going to be absolutely dreadful. The largest issue here is that all of his code is very hardcoded to being in slot #1, as prior posts pointed out. I will have to modify all of his routines to be dynamically based so he can work as an NPC properly. He's definitely going to be the last on the list because this will be the most annoying and obnoxious part of the project unfortunately.

2. Chester, Mint and Brambard have all of their sprite data, animation data and weapon data moved into the new banks. Even their sprites have been moved as well so they are 100% capable of having new animations, sprites and weapon graphics! With that, Brambard is STILL a clone of Chester as my focus has mainly been trying to make manual battle controls working but he'll be coming up sooner or later. Mint right now has a brand new attack animation and has a small variety of weapon graphics now as well so she's a bit more useful in the physical attack department at least.

3. Lia is technically playable now as well. She only has her idle and beta spell cast sprites in-game and functioning, otherwise, she's a clone of Mint thus far with Arche's spell list (Which I really need to cut down for her). She also has fully functional new spell voices too!

4. All SFX/BRR pointers have been moved into new space so it is now feasible to add new voices! As above, Lia has spell voices now.

5. All PC's now have their own Spell Voice table. So if someone were to say give Chester Fireball, he won't be screaming with Arche's voice anymore. The tables are customizable so any voice can be set for any spell for any character.

6. Battle Controls are still a WIP. PC's can now walk, run, attack, spell cast, spell cancel, use items, etc.. manually. To run, you just double tap. Of course, you can stop running at any time by pressing the opposite direction. However, if you attack or use a spell, it will cause the PC to slide and do their appropriate action.

7. More PC code has been condensed down into a single routine since they're all, once again, extremely similar.

Technically all I have left for manual commands are: Jump (With falling), jump attack (With falling), up + attack and guard. Once those are implemented, the game should play very similarly to Tales of Destiny and PS1 Tales of Phantasia.

It's not a lot per se, but it's a huge background update overall and I'm pretty excited with how much has been done so far!

'We have to find some way to incorporate the general civilians in the plot.'

'We'll kill off children in the Juuban district with an infection where they cough up blood and are found hanging themselves from cherry blossom trees.'

ArkthePieKing

• View Profile
« Reply #241 on: August 31, 2018, 01:54:44 am »
Man, I get a 4 day weekend AND there's an update to this project? What a good day!

As a side note, how are you planning on handling new voices for the characters? If you need voice work, I've always wanted to lend my talent to something like this.

justin3009

• Welp
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: October 20, 2018, 09:58:25 am »
More updates on the list here!

1. Klarth has been fully moved out and he is now able to be modified like all other characters in all aspects.
2. Cless has been moved out Command wise, but not sprite or animation wise on him or his weapons. There's a couple bugs left over on him but otherwise, he is a functional playable character again. Most of his character specific data has been modified as well to be dynamic based on PC slot now so HOPEFULLY this will allow him to work properly in other slots when the time comes.
3. All PC's have a general 'Up + Attack' button set now. However, Mint is the only one at the moment with a currently functioning attack for that.
4. Slowly experimenting with what later Tales of.. games do to an extent by removing the delay after a character spell casts that prevents them from casting right away again. In exchange, especially notable on Narikiri Dungeon X as an example, the characters have a continuous lengthy animation of their spell cast going instead. I feel the delay system was a bit.. off on the original SNES version but it was probably used for AI instances for checking things and such.
5. Interesting to note on here as well. The game has support for up to 6 fully playable characters without any modification. Looks like this was the general basis, which makes sense, considering Rambard was supposed to be playable so that cuts out a lot of work in the long run.
6. Also to note, the bytes that state what skills have been learned per PC also has 6 functioning areas as well.

Twitter/Video updates but never posted here:
1. https://twitter.com/i/status/1048959941707534338 - Arche's shadow is now dynamic based on her height. (However, there's a bug right now where her hitbox is.. off so she can't move beyond the enemies.)
2. https://twitter.com/i/status/1046513662192754688 - Mint with her Up + Attack.
3. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qLZg_PUAvJM - Mint being playable (Slightly less out of date from the Up + Attack one.
4. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BQU_FbQnJg4 - Arche being playable (Before the shadow was included and with no bugs)
5. https://twitter.com/i/status/1034941538911117314 - Lia technically playable with her own spell voices.
6. https://twitter.com/i/status/1034941536621002754 - Mint with various WIP weapon graphics.
7. https://twitter.com/i/status/1033354154276777984 - Sound Test screen with voice testing for Lia (Without the video from above)

'We'll kill off children in the Juuban district with an infection where they cough up blood and are found hanging themselves from cherry blossom trees.'

Spooniest

• Restricted Access
  • Madge, I want your body! 'harry your a beast!11'
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: October 20, 2018, 02:34:30 pm »
It's been a long time since this project got started, wow.

Funny how your life can change so much in the span of a few short years.

Nice to know you're back working on it.

khalismur

• View Profile
« Reply #244 on: November 10, 2018, 03:35:02 pm »
Great to see some updates to this! It's looking very promising, wow !

justin3009

• Welp
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: January 23, 2019, 10:59:44 am »
Been awhile since I posted on here but I've been frequently updating on Twitter and the Absolute Zero Discord. For those who aren't on it, here's the list of updates thus far!

• Every single character is now moved out into the new data section (Except for the intro ones. They don't really matter at this point).
  • Every single character is technically playable if you set them into Slot #1 in battle. However, Cless is the most complete for the generics.
  • Cless has a fully functional manual mode now. All skills can be used anywhere without any range requirements, he has a variety of basic attacks, manually run, etc.. (Still need to implement manual guard). He can also jump and do an aerial slash too! I may update that so if you do Down + Attack, he'll down a downward Thrust so you have a 'Stab' kind of attack damage in the air too!
  • Cless's sword graphics have been entirely moved into the new bank and have been updated. They are much smaller in appearance than his original sword graphic, but the range is essentially the same if not, a couple pixels shorter. (Which is nice because this plays well into what I want to do later). His axe is now turning into a 'handaxe' for now since it plays out the same as the sword but with less of a 'stab' emphasis. The graphics are in-game and setup via sprite assembly, but they have to be readjusted on sprite setup and also change the hitboxes too. Have yet to even touch the halberd data. I'm going to generalize the weapons right now since I want this first official patch to be the same general Tales of Phantasia with some enhancements. Afterwards, the weapons will be heavily altered for what I have in mind.
  • Rhea is now a fully functional party member! When she joins the team, she uses Arche's stats that would normally apply when you get her since she's pretty much the level you would be when fighting Demitel. When you have her in your party, you can go around and collect spells like you would with Arche. For now, there's a technical issue with learning spells in dialogue as it'll always say 'Arche has learned xxxx'. This is because for her and even Cless they hardcode the strings. Every single spell and arte learned has a separate dialogue box.. Kind of annoying and I'm hoping to remedy that much later down the line once I start modifying text.
  • Rhea has every spell voice she needs so she's setup. She also has an attack voice. Still need to add her damage and death voices though.
  • When Rhea leaves the party, Arche, of course, overwrites her data. In the original it'd completely wipe out the entire PC slot then write Arche's data. I've updated that now so what happens is Arche's name gets written over Rhea's and then it equips her with her broom then sets her PC bit to be Arche's. With that, Arche now keeps Rhea's stats (Since they're the same person) and you lose no progress! Any spells you've equipped, any gear you've equipped, etc.. will retain. The weapon equipped won't matter since Rhea has no weapons that function for her. (I've made sure she can't equip any weapons.. that I know of anyway).
  • Fireball has been updated so it releases instantaneously instead of having that couple second delay.
  • Cless's basic attack voice routine has been heavily updated. The original uses hardcoded checks for certain values based on RNG. I've updated this so that the RNG still exists.. kinda but it now uses a table of voices. So instead of having 2-3 voices strictly for Cless, it's now possible to have 7 different voices. It also cut down tremendously on code so it's a win win!

Unfortunately, I haven't gotten around to adding a way to swap PC's in-game yet. Mainly because I need to revamp the entire menu system like I did prior before I update how this all plays out. So you're still technically stuck with Cless in slot #1 until I can insert code, but otherwise, the other characters do function just fine.

Cless can work as an NPC now too. Nothing major. He plays like everyone else but with no abilities as of yet. I still need to figure out how AI works for spell casting and such and have it based on per person instead of it being generalized for all PCs. This is actually really funny because for some reason once you get sent to the past and don't change Cless's tactics to be 'Don't use spells', he'll randomly start using Mint's spells with or without your consent. Why this happens though is beyond me as he has no spell list even loaded in battle but he will still try to use her spells, so something's a bit weird, but also funny to see.

I'm still working on sprites here and there but it's super time consuming especially since I'm nowhere near as skilled as I honestly should be.

As of right now, most characters still need running graphics, jumping/falling, jump attack, Up + Attack, Down + Attack for animation stuff unfortunately so it'll be a long while for them to be 'completed' per se graphically.

I feel like I'm missing a lot of details but generally there's been a TON of updates in the background of the game, just not all visual.

Twitter updates:
https://twitter.com/Justin3009/status/1077570576024289281 - Animation debug for battle. (No menu yet, but this was super easy and fun to code!)
This one is a bit of a hefty one. L/R will change what character you're playing as to test animations. X will enable or disable automatic animations. Left/Right change which animation you're playing. Up/Down change what frame of animation you're on. Select will enable or disable the PC sprite on screen but keep the weapon on. I still want to make this into a menu instead though so it'll be more functional. Maybe moreso so it can also force command updates and stuff to see how they function.
https://twitter.com/Justin3009/status/1081947980729597957 - 8 letter names functional!
https://twitter.com/Justin3009/status/1081639117946011649 - Rhea and Arche using the new Fireball
https://twitter.com/Justin3009/status/1084510868161941505 - Rhea's basic attack (Though the knockback is a joke)
https://twitter.com/Justin3009/status/1086678738883014656 - Updated battle menu code
https://twitter.com/Justin3009/status/1087087390727069698 - All of Cless's manual basic attacks
« Last Edit: January 23, 2019, 11:07:03 am by justin3009 »

Q

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
  • Meow, busy hackers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: January 24, 2019, 12:18:09 pm »
@justin3009: Hi, I'm responding to your post from a different topic.

I saw a review today which said that there's an NPC in the game who teaches you the ability to use special moves via Street Fighter-style command inputs instead of the L and R buttons, which allows you to perform a larger number of different special moves per battle, thereby enabling some crazy combos. I had no idea about this, and it's actually what piqued my interest in the game again. You must not be able to get this upgrade until pretty late in the game, because I never found the NPC who sells it to you. Also, the review mentions that the upgrade costs a ton of money. It would be pretty cool to dummy the NPC out of the game and just give the player the upgrade for free right from the start. The game would probably be a lot easier and more fun if you learned the command inputs and experimented with combos.

The Combo Command is what you're talking about and it's honestly a pain in the ass to perform any of the techniques with it. Legitimately, it's almost asinine and kind of worthless in the long run. The only benefit is it allows you to use any skill without having to have them equipped in four slots.

I looked into this, and you're right. Most of the command inputs are way too complex to be practical, plus the fact that the directional inputs don't change relative to the direction your character is facing like in a fighting game might get a bit confusing. Still, I don't think my original idea is horrible. A few of the inputs aren't too bad (e.g., the Psion Bolt is just a standard quarter-circle motion used in pretty much every fighting game), and I think you could get some use out of it if it was introduced at the start of the game.

I wish I knew ASM so I could help, because I think this game would be really, really fun if you made some significant changes to the controls. Instead of giving every special move a different command input, I'd rather give the player a small number of commonly used, easy-to-perform inputs (like quarter-circles, half-circles, dragon punches, and Guile-style charge attacks) that they can assign to some of the standard skills and a few Street Fighter Super Combo-style inputs they can assign to the combos. I really love the idea of a fighting game/RPG hybrid, but obviously that would be a ton of work. Maybe I'll revisit the idea someday if I ever start picking up SNES assembly.

Edit: Actually, after looking a little closer at the number of different special moves, I think it would probably be possible to have much simpler, more commonly used inputs and give each special move a separate input.

I'm planning to adjust the encounter rate and everything else when I'm able to. Though balancing is not my strength so that would probably need a ton of time and effort to get just right.

My suggestion is to cut the encounter rate to around 50 percent—because when I played it, I thought the encounter rate was so high that it made exploring the maps frustrating. I think you need a pretty significant cut to fix that.

I would suggest doubling the earned money to make up for the fact that you won't be getting into as many battles, and more than doubling the experience so that you don't have to grind as much (maybe 2.5x would be good). If you need people to test the balance once it's adjusted, I'd probably be interested in helping because I would love to finish this game's story someday, but I thought it was just too much of a grind to be worth it.

Good luck with your hack! :)
« Last Edit: January 24, 2019, 12:48:04 pm by Q »
Sneko, the Super Nintendo Entertainment Kitty, wishes you luck.

ArkthePieKing

• View Profile
« Reply #247 on: January 25, 2019, 12:09:54 am »
I agree with an adjusted encounter rate. It always made what is otherwise an amazing game kind of a chore to get through. Off the cuff I'd say something like 1/2 encounter rate, 2x money, 2.5x exp gains.

As an aside, congrats on being literally the only person on Twitter I look forward to seeing post. :D

lastdual

• View Profile
« Reply #248 on: January 25, 2019, 08:48:05 am »
Compared to many games from the era, I didn't find the encounter rate too bad. The real issue is simply that battles often take longer here.

While I would be fine with slightly less frequent encounters, doubling the experience rate sounds like it might drain a lot of the challenge from the game. Things will already be easier with enhanced control over your party, and I wouldn't want the game's difficulty curve to feel shot.

Q

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
  • Meow, busy hackers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: January 25, 2019, 09:20:08 am »
Compared to many games from the era, I didn't find the encounter rate too bad. The real issue is simply that battles often take longer here.

While I would be fine with slightly less frequent encounters, doubling the experience rate sounds like it might drain a lot of the challenge from the game. Things will already be easier with enhanced control over your party, and I wouldn't want the game's difficulty curve to feel shot.

To each their own. I thought the game's encounter rate and difficulty were high enough to suck all the joy out of the experience. You can't take more than a few steps without getting into a battle, and the amount of grinding you have to do to progress through the game is ridiculous. I spent tons of time grinding, bought all the best equipment, and made use of the special moves, but by the time I got to the halfway dungeon, my characters were constantly getting one- or two-shotted and I was going through tons of healing items after every battle just to keep my party alive. When I thought about how long it would take me to gain a few more levels, I decided the game was a waste of time. I wouldn't consider playing it again without a huge reduction to the encounter rate.

Even if the drop to the encounter rate ends up being a lot smaller than 50 percent, you still need to raise the experience and money by an equivalent amount or you'll throw off the game's balanace and pacing. If you're getting into fewer battles as you explore the map and dungeons but earning the same average experience per battle, you'll get less overall experience, which means you would have to stop progressing in order to grind more frequently. And since it would take twice as many steps to get into a battle, grinding would be even slower and feel even more tedious. Doubling the experience isn't about making the game "easy" so much as it is about improving the pacing of the game by reducing the overall amount of fighting you have to do.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2019, 09:26:41 am by Q »
Sneko, the Super Nintendo Entertainment Kitty, wishes you luck.

Uberdubie

• View Profile
« Reply #250 on: February 04, 2019, 02:17:32 am »
Are there plans to incorporate the overworld "skits" from the PSX version?  Imo this is by-far the greatest feature missing from the SNES version, where you can hit select on the overworld map, and watch multiple voiced dialogue scenes between your current characters in the party with lovely portraits.  (If this has already been mentioned and discussed elsewhere in the thread -- seems I've missed it -- humblest apologies.)

Everything else is looking fantastic -- never thought I'd see the day where this SNES may surpass its Playstation counterpart!  Much luck to you.

justin3009

• Welp
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: February 04, 2019, 02:40:47 pm »
That's actually a good question. Adding voices for skits would definitely be a big no if I were to add skits. I won't have the ROM space to support that at all. It MAY be possible to add skits and such but I honestly don't know if I will or if I'm even capable of doing it myself. If I am able to though there comes with the price of having to sprite various expressions for the characters with portraits and such. I'm definitely not skilled enough for that (Especially with the SNES style).

Uberdubie

• View Profile
« Reply #252 on: February 04, 2019, 04:10:22 pm »
Yeah, I'd assume the voiced part would be a no-go.  It would be incredible just to have text-based versions of each skit with one portrait per character.  Or to be different, you could use each character's battle sprites looking at each other.

Regardless, thank you for all your hard work on this!

Granville

• View Profile
« Reply #253 on: February 14, 2019, 04:07:08 pm »
Perhaps someone could implement voiced skits via an MSU-1 patch. I personally prefer text only myself though, I even disable the voiced dialog in the PS1 port when I play.

justin3009

• Welp
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: March 10, 2019, 08:32:46 pm »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qWcTjt7Oopg&feature=youtu.be

Little bit of a video update here.

I've updated the font so it uses my standard thin one that I use on all of my projects. (Which all of them which have used this font have been unreleased lol)

The dialogue is freely modifiable now and I've updated the code so there's now a DTE/Dictionary Compression in it. I also located where DeJap's script was and even some of the left over Japanese script and completely wiped them out. So now that gave me 120,000 bytes of free space to use.

The dialogue here, though, with Rhea/Lia is just kind of an example. I updated it to use some of DeJap's words still but also used some pieces from the English iOS translation too. I did include a new string for Klarth where he tells you what to do when you get to Venezia so players aren't questioning what the hell they need to do right away.

At the end, it shows Rhea/Lia joining the party officially. She basically starts like Arche but does not have a weapon. (She has no weapons that can be equipped). She can level like normal and learn spells via books/NPCs like Arche as well so it'd be good to take advantage of that! Of course, once you lose her and get Arche, the stats carry over so you lose no progress whatsoever!

In battle though, can't really show it since it's under the hood, I updated Cless's sword once more. It now uses two 16x16 sprites instead of using one 8x8 for the handle and two 16x16 for the sword itself. This reduces the sprite count and also reduces lag. Some of his artes benefited from this too so they use a couple less sprites.

I updated a few of Rhea's sprites in battle as well since some were pretty janky.

Chester has been updated too so now he has jumping. New projectiles now work as well and new spells are also implementable. Astion is technically in-game without the buff being set and Guren (Hell Pyre) is basically in-game as well but it's not quite set as an arte yet for Chester.

I also completely redid how spells are set in RAM. (I still have to update it more for character specifics but it works right now). All artes are learned via bit masks instead of a single byte. So now one byte can house 8 artes/spells instead of one. This same method is used for enabling/disabling the AI from using them too. So the overall RAM has been heavily compressed but also expanded too. So every character can have up to 56 artes and 48 spells that can be learned. There's extra space now too to determine if they're manual, semi-auto or auto and also more space that allows their shortcut keys for artes to be saved too whenever I get that implemented. Once I condense it to per PC, I'll have over 100 extra bytes of free RAM to use that can be saved into SRAM which I could use for various other things if I want!

There's a TON of progress going on behind the scenes but I can't really visually show anything so it's hard to post updates on here.

ArkthePieKing

• View Profile
« Reply #255 on: March 12, 2019, 03:21:15 pm »
I actually really love hearing about the under the hood stuff. Even if it's not all visual and flashy, seeing you talk about the changes you've made is still exciting!

the_E_y_Es

• View Profile
« Reply #256 on: March 15, 2019, 05:28:40 pm »
I've updated the font so it uses my standard thin one that I use on all of my projects.
I remember that font from your Schala rescue hack. It looks very nice.

I actually really love hearing about the under the hood stuff. Even if it's not all visual and flashy, seeing you talk about the changes you've made is still exciting!
I agree. It might be technical but you make it sound interesting.

justin3009

• Welp
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: March 17, 2019, 07:48:54 am »
Slight update.

Been working on it here and there for a few days just tweaking some code I had but also changing a couple things.

First off, SRAM (Saved Game) data has been slightly shuffled so now there's about 151 bytes of free space to be used for whatever is necessary. The downside to this is that any Saved Games from any version of Tales of Phantasia are not compatible anymore. It's a pretty easy fix to do since it's just copying one line of saved game data back about 60 bytes, then the save would load fine. I basically removed the checksum checking so as long as the 'Tale  ' header text is at the beginning, it'd load the saves.

PC names in RAM have been shifted as well. Every character can now support 8 letters no problem and there's room for 10 characters in total in RAM. Not like they'll all be used but it's good for future cases.

I took a test run as well with how I had my coding style going for this game and it seems to work nicely. I literally copy/pasted Rhea's code, altered every instance of 'Rhea' to 'Test' and basically a new character was playable just like that. There's a couple other minor instances that have to be altered (The bank data and the general animation/sprite loading routine) but otherwise it's legitimately that easy for me to slap in a new character.

Also, just fixed a bug I had with detecting what spell you were selecting in the battle menu on other characters. They should now support the new spell/arte system now.

I've been thinking as well about possible reducing the PC RAM and then copy/pasting it over into a new location only for battle so more PCs can be supported overall. The PC RAM is usually $7E6A91 to $7E6B91, then $7E6B91 to $7E6C91 etc.. until $7E7091 which is where the RAM is for learning spells/artes begin. So right now it supports 6 characters at max. There's a huge amount of unused bytes in the PC RAM in general but thank god most of it is near the end of each PCs data. So if I were to cut down the overworld data by 64 bytes on each PC, I would have room for 8 PCs in total! Though, 7 is probably the absolute max I would ever, ever allow.

The problem with this though is that I'll have to copy/paste the PC RAM into a new location for battle. (Easy enough) But then comes modifying every. single. thing. in. battle. There's a TON of hardcoded data specific to PC slots starting at $7E6A91. A vast majority of it I have covered on the PC end so that's honestly no worry. The issue comes down to spells, enemy attacks, camera control, item usage, etc.. Most things in battle, for god knows what reason, don't use a generic routine that's loaded all the time. Most things have their OWN instance of a character check and that's all hardcoded to $7E6A91.. So if I want to go this route, I'd have to modify literally EVERYTHING in battle. The pay off would be well worth it but the work load is absolutely ridiculous.

This is where the extra SRAM would come into play a bit as well. There's no room for the current PC's data in SRAM, but with the shuffle I had I could code a work around so that PC #7's data would be stored into this very specific location instead and then loaded back from there. Either way, this is an arduous task and I don't honestly know if I want to even attempt it. Once I get going, there's no turning back at that point and I'd rather not get halfway through and burn myself out.

It's one of those situations where I'm not sure if I want to attempt it, but I also know I'll need it in the future. I might just leave it for now at least, but yeah. Progress!

Edit: https://twitter.com/Justin3009/status/1107302624087494659 - Klarth now has an upward attack!
« Last Edit: March 17, 2019, 11:30:42 am by justin3009 »