Old updates!Cause this totally needs another enhancement/remake!
There's still a lot of work to be done so you could probably designate this as the alpha stage.
What's been done:
1. Window Drawing - Completely new window drawing code that replaces the original. There's new pointers and now any window can be on any layer with any coordinates.
2. Main Menu - Completely re-arranged so it looks more modern.
3. Item Menu organization - All items in one column with full name visible.
5. Magic Menu Organization - Spell columns have been reduced to two spells instead of three.
4. Tactics Menu - Re-ordered so now there's 4 PC's on screen all fully functional.
5. Custom Menu - Dumped a couple commands and added new ones. Voices and Arte Names can now be enabled/disabled. Sound selection now has been ordered into one box that changes when you press arrows. Difficulty can now be chosen as well.
6. Status Menu - New portraits are in from PSX as temporary place holders. Brambald has his own custom portrait.
7. Name Menu - Completely rearranged letter box so it's more convenient.
8. Cless - Cless now has his own tactics that appear in the Tactics menu AND they appear in the Status Menu.
9. Battle Menu Added in "Enemy "HP" "TP" text above the correct places during battle.
10. Battle Item Menu - Redone like the Item Menu. One column with full names.
11. Battle Magic Menu - Spell columns have been reduced to two spells instead of three.
12. Battle - Multiple changes. No more hit delay/slow down, you can walk through PC's, critical hit shakes screen and flashes instead of regular hit, all PC data moved to new bank, etc..
13. Sprites/Palettes - Some PSX sprites have been put in. Cless's palettes in along with Klarth, Brambald and Chester. Many share the same palette due to limitations. Arche's has yet to be imported and Stoned/Poisoned need to be fixed.
14. Brambald- Voices are extracted. Some skills are chosen for him to use. Nothing in-game yet but he's getting prepped up to be a nice ranger/mage but not a replacement for Arche nor Chester.
15. Klarth - Located Klarth's spell cast code and forcefully made it load Mint's code. Doing that, Klarth is now able to load ANY spell in the game like Mint without worry. This is useful because Brambald would have the same issue.
16. Combo Counter - Removed and enabled automatically. Frees up an item slot and a command byte in RAM.
17. Running - Jet boots are no longer needed.
18. VWF Menu - This is currently in progress but it's going decently smooth so far.
19. Moved Item/Arte Names - All have been moved to bank 62. Though with the recent changes, I'm unsure if they still work quite well. I'll have to re-test once I get the VWF Menu complete.
What WILL be done:
1. Brambald - Brambald will be a full blown PC. He has a new sprite design and he has voices ready. He'll be an Archer/Mage with a few unique twists that won't make him a replacement for Arche or Chester.
2. Import PSX/GBA sprites - Some are in but there needs to be a lot of redoing due to palette restrictions.
3. Dialogue - HOPEFULLY I can update/expand dialogue. I've got my hand on some tools from someone but I'm unsure how they work yet, but it should be helpful.
4. Voices - Everyone will have updated voices and more voice selections.
5. Stats/Battle Tweaking - I've found exactly what to remove in game so you can move during spell usages. With this, I'm going to create a table on certain spells that will still freeze the game, but others that don't lag or cause issues will not freeze. Since that's the case, MANY of the spells in-game will be drastically altered to fit the new style of play. There's also the issue of allowing the character to attack twice with Cless and probably combo with the other PC's.
6. All PC Control - I'm 1/4th of the way done with this. Figured out where all the code is, just have to find a way to improve it and make it work for all PC's.
7. Arte Updates - There will be some new artes on enemies and a few for PC's. Brambald will have a slew of new artes, but I expect Arche to have at least 2-6 more spells to replace her old ones. Mint will have a few new ones that are damage artes (This I hear is against story things, but I'm thinking of adding in Pikohan damage types as those aren't against the story nor do they break her really. Pikohan became a physical damaging arte later and had no adverse effects. So expect her to be able to damage slightly)
Klarth may have a whole new style of play as well.
9. Cameos - I definitely plan to have cameos in this game. Lilith will of course be in. She will have a lot more artes with unique voices that I whipped up to make her more challenging. There's going to be another variation of her as well for random chance encounter in the arena and there's also going to be a couple other battle cameos. Even a special cameo PC that's just for temporary fun!
10. Battle - The battle system and layout is going to get a major revamp. It's just not worth the screen space and how limited everything is.
Etc..New Updates! (January-February 2014)
1. Menu drawing code is reinserted, shrunk slightly but expanded on flexibility. It performs as before, but now if any value is 80+ on the number for box choosing, it draws the infamous 'black box' in the menus. The black boxes covered up the rest of the HDMA so it wasn't ugly.
2. PC names are expanded to 7. I want to expand them to 8 but SRAM has to be reorganized first.
3. Brambert IS a playable character now and is being rediscussed and reworked. He's got a third NEW Voice Actor and hopefully final one.
4. Main Menu is updated to be more Modern complete with VWF names.
5. Item names and pointers are now completely separate from everything else. Their code for loading the names in the menu has been completely reworked and cut down heavily.
6. VWF Item Descriptions/Pointers are now split from everything else allowing more customization on each item.
7. Customize screen is mostly finished. There's two blank areas for new commands that have yet to be known.
8. Status screen is finished.
9. Save Game/Load game are finished.
10. Formation is mostly finished.New Updates! (March-July 2014)
1. All item pointers/names are dropped at the moment since the game won't be using the default 8x8 fixed width font anymore.
2. Brambert has a variety of voices ready to be imported though nothing of his artes are quite final yet.
3. Menu reorganization is being discussed again. http://www.romhacking.net/forum/index.php/topic,13201.msg263410.html#msg263410
4. Added in a new routine that loads pre-rendered VWF text when needed to allow smoother menus.
5. Scrolling Main Menu is now available for 6 PC's. New Updates! (August-September 2014)
1. Main Menu now supports switching characters by pressing the --> arrow.
2. Main Menu now scrolls if you have more than 5 PC's in your party.
3. 'Tactics' menu is dropped completely but merged with 'Formation' to create the 'Strategy' Menu.
4. Save Menu is altered.
5. Character in Slot #1 dictates the overworld graphics you will see.
6. Rambard is now officially 'Brambard' in this Enhancement.