News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules

Author Topic: Interested in a Secret of Evermore hack  (Read 3529 times)

8-bit Warrior

• View Profile
Interested in a Secret of Evermore hack
« on: August 28, 2011, 10:32:42 pm »
Hello there, 8-bit Warrior, total noob here. My friend and I have some interest in ROM hacking and thought a Secret of Evermore hack would be a good place to start. You see, Secret of Evermore had some cool ideas (time travel, alchemy, a boy & his dog), but after World 1, got mired down by some level design which one might refer to as, er, total crap.

We'd like to preserve interest in this otherwise great game by re-doing the majority of the levels. I am a noob to this scene, but I do have a decade of experience in level, sprite, script, and just about everything else editing for Doom. So I feel well-equipped to handle this. We've even got a good start, as the ROM map (incomplete) is on datacrystal and all of the area maps are clearly indicated.

Problem is, I have no idea where to start. I've familiarized myself with hexadecimal and various workings of FFIV, but that's about it. Any pointers, given the information about the scope of this project?

Also, would anyone know where to find the Nightmare modules datacrystal mentions on the wiki page?

mrjojo1267

• View Profile
Re: Interested in a Secret of Evermore hack
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2013, 08:21:29 am »
Sorry that u had to wait almost 2 years for a reply to this thread (shame on ppl!) but I am doing some research in rom editing. I love Secret of Evermore and also which to try and edit it in some form or another, especially wanting to make a Hard Mode for it. Played the gameplay balance patch, was decent but still not challenging enough.

Hopefully something will be done about this soon!

Utopia

• Born of Dreamers
    • View Profile
    • Born of Dreamers
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2013, 04:29:46 pm »
I've looked into that same process and hit a dead end at data crystal. That link is dead and I can't find anything on the net. Unfortunate yet if we could assemble a team to work on this we can make it happen I'm sure. I can help with whatever is needed, although my programming skills are lacking. I can design any graphics we need and further more maps, sprites.. this would be easy for me  :laugh:so let's start with emails or something..
Always looking to hear from the fans! Feel free to shoot me a PM or email me at BornofDreamers@gmail.com

Social Media: https://twitter.com/bornofdreamers

mrjojo1267

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2013, 05:37:13 am »
Yes, a shame about datacrystal as it seemed that SoE was hacked to some extent (looked at the ROM/RAM maps) but hopefully with more people on board, something could be achieved and I'm looking at you Utopia  :thumbsup: