News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: A beginner's attempt at translating.  (Read 3002 times)

Guy McPerson

A beginner's attempt at translating.
« on: August 27, 2011, 03:54:48 am »
I'm looking to translate a Japanese NDS game into english. I unpacked the files using dslazy and found the folder labeled Scripts. I opened a file in Windhex and after loading a sjis table, located the first lines of the game, which I proceeded to dump.

Am I going about this the correct way? I can't find a way to insert the translated text, though. Atlas won't work on my computer for some reason and some of the other tools I tried didn't work either.

I apologize if this should have been obvious or there's something wrong with my topic.

Ryusui

• It's the greatest day.
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
Re: A beginner's attempt at translating.
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2011, 04:08:44 am »
You're doing just fine. As for Atlas, that's a command-line tool. You'll need to run it from a Command Prompt or set up a batch file (the latter is preferable, as it will save you a lot of keystrokes).

How are you dumping the script? Romjuice and Cartographer are both command-line as well; did you modify the batch files that came with Cartographer? Or are you manually dumping from Windhex?
In the event of a firestorm, the salad bar will remain open.

Guy McPerson

« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2011, 12:48:57 am »
I've been dumping through WindHex. Would it be better to use Cartographer?

Ryusui

• It's the greatest day.
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2011, 03:42:57 pm »
Definitely. There's more of a learning curve, but you can automate the entire dumping process as long as you know the format and addresses. You can also set it so that your script dump can be inserted back using Atlas without having to manually format it (apart from the script header that defines tables and whatnot).
In the event of a firestorm, the salad bar will remain open.

DarknessSavior

• Darkness.
    • View Profile
    • DS: No, not the Nintendo one.
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2011, 06:18:48 am »
I've been dumping through WindHex. Would it be better to use Cartographer?
If you find yourself having issues with Cartographer, I recommend using Romjuice.

Cartographer is handier, once you get it working. But it is far less newbie-friendly than Romjuice. Cartographer, however, has support for dumping Atlas-compatible scripts, so it makes inserting with Atlas that much easier.

(Atlas itself is also not very newbie-friendly, so I'd ask around here if you have trouble using it).

~DS
Red Comet: :'( Poor DS. Nobody loves him like RC does. :'(
Sliver-X: LET ME INFRINGE UPON IT WITH MY MOUTH
DSRH - Currently working on: Demon's Blazon, Romancing SaGa, FFIV EasyType.
http://www.youtube.com/user/DarknessSavior