News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules

Author Topic: How to make tbl files with newer games?  (Read 2456 times)

PRIZZA

• View Profile
    • Aeon Rivals
How to make tbl files with newer games?
« on: August 29, 2011, 01:25:15 am »
What are some methods employed by hackers to find the text strings for newer games (Wii, DS, PSP, etc...)

I know it's quite easy to do with classic games such as NES, SNES, Genesis and so forth as you just need to look at a PPU viewer or it's equivalent and hover over the sprite sheets. For more recent games, what goes into finding text such as Japanese characters for the English patches I see released from time to time? I'd like to get into that type of English patching but don't know where to start.

I look forward to any responses!

Ryusui

• It's the greatest day.
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
Re: How to make tbl files with newer games?
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2011, 01:44:49 am »
Most games use standard Shfit-JIS encoding nowadays. Neat, huh? Shift-JIS also includes the entire ASCII charset, so you don't even have to hack in English-language support in most cases.

It makes writing script tools in Visual Basic a snap: you don't even have to include table support. For everything else, here's a Shift-JIS table you can use.
In the event of a firestorm, the salad bar will remain open.

henke37

• View Profile
Re: How to make tbl files with newer games?
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2011, 07:43:11 am »
Well, not all games uses it. But there is something else that is different these days. There are filesystems. The very existence of a name on things can help a lot in finding things.