News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Help with a Chrono Trigger Accessories Hack  (Read 2299 times)

djg001

Help with a Chrono Trigger Accessories Hack
« on: August 22, 2011, 10:21:23 pm »
Hi everyone,

I am new to the ROM hacking community, and this is my first post to the forum here.  I would like to do a hack of the SNES Chrono Trigger that allows one to sell accessories like any other item.  Ideally, I’d like to set reasonable sale values for each one (e.g. half-price for the buyable ones, prices for others TBD), but would be happy just to have a method of clearing accessories from the inventory if the former is not possible.

I have gained only limited hacking experience so far, going through the provided tutorials to learn tile and text modifications.  I also have limited experience with some hacking utilities for various games, most notably Fable for the PC.  For Chrono Trigger, I have been toying with ctshopkeeper and Temporal Flux.  It looks like ctshopkeeper only allows alteration of what you can buy.  As for Temporal Flux, I see that there are extensive options for level, character, and enemy hacking, but I haven’t discovered a way to do what I want to do with the utility (if it even exists).

So I wanted to see if anyone else has thought of doing this kind of hack for Chrono Trigger (I searched and didn’t see anything on it).  If not, I would greatly appreciate some general guidance on how to tackle this task (e.g. whether it can be done with an existing utility, or if not, how I would go about identifying this kind of a variable, seeing as it is not possible at all to sell accessories in the native game).  I am not shy about putting in the time and effort, but I lack the conceptual plan to begin solving this issue.  I am also trying to get an idea of whether this is far beyond my ability at this point in time.

Thank you for your time.

Mauron

• Submission Reviewer
    • View Profile
Re: Help with a Chrono Trigger Accessories Hack
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2011, 12:14:35 am »
Congratulations, you picked an easy first hack. The ability to sell accessories is actually built into the game, but all accessories have the unsellable flag checked. They also sell for one G each.

There exists a Temporal Flux plugin for editing items, including the four bytes that control consumable power, but the author is a lazy bum and hasn't finished proper documentation for it, but will post this reply and PM you the link to the beta.

I also talk weirdly sometimes, and ask that you don't distribute it to anyone else.

If you want to learn hacking though, the existing ROM documentation will make it relatively easy to find where this is stored in the ROM.
Mauron wuz here.

djg001

Re: Help with a Chrono Trigger Accessories Hack
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2011, 08:26:07 am »
Thank you for the quick reply!

Given that this sounds like an easy starting hack, I'm going to try to go about it both ways in order to learn.  Of course I will follow your non-distribution request.  I look forward to working more on this and some other future projects (a couple of job interviews are going to have to take precedence the next few days, but I should have time to work on it this weekend).

Thanks again!