News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules

Author Topic: CT+ Unlimited  (Read 11004 times)

Zakyrus

• View Profile
CT+ Unlimited
« on: August 16, 2011, 04:05:35 am »
Greetings,

I am looking for experienced mappers to assist with my private, and underground project ( Ch.ronoT.rigger+ "Unlimited" )

It is an exponential expansion rom-hack that adds 25-30 hours of play time to CT.
Features include, rebalanced enemy stats/AI (battles take longer and are MUCH more balanced than before), Item Synthing, Extra-verbose dialog, option to have Crono speak or not, Elite Mode(extra/new boss fights), more games at the Millennial Fair, Silver Points carry over and go up to 50,000. Several new dungeons & backtracking to pre-existing ones for more than one reason..., NPC sidequests, NPC quests (ala WoW style), etc, etc, etc, etc...

...In fact, I've added so much, that I can't even begin to list everything. It's also so large that I spread it across 2 6MB Roms.

Some demo videos are available for previewing here

No, I don't have an 'up to date' working test version at this point (it's all in TemporalFlux .export files at the moment) so don't ask.

I've been working on this on and off for the past 5 years in my spare time. It has survived the cataclysm at Kajar Laboratories. Since then, I have left the Compendium and have continued as a personal rom-hack.

I am looking for people with experience with TemporalFlux able to make maps (MUST look like a Square developer made them, it's gotta fit in the game)

I need:

Castle Maou (Magus' Castle)
-Alchemy Labs
-Barracks
-Tower of Science
-Tower of Sorcery

**These can use ANY tileset (such as Zeal Library tileset, Manoria Cathedral, whatever) as long as they fit with the theme of Magus's Castle...

--these will replace those "annoying long skinny halls of battles"

as well as a few other maps......

I am also looking for someone very experienced who would be interested in importing the town tileset from Siken Densetsu 3 into ChronoTrigger (without replacing other tilesets) so that we can make the town maps (ala Xenogears style--eg keep the overworld the same, but enter "sectors" of the town, rather than directly entering the houses)

P.M. me is interested.

I don't plan on making any public release of this, so don't ask. If this ever gets finished, someday, several years from now, I might consider making a release... doubtful considering how kind mega-corps are these days... but one can always hope. (otherwise there's always waiting until the license expires...)

If this thread is considered to be against RHDN's terms, please have an admin delete it at once, but at least let me know......

-Z

Asylum

• View Profile
Re: CT+ Unlimited
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2011, 01:13:01 am »
You have my axe!

Talbain

• Moo.
    • View Profile
    • et tu gamer
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2011, 06:57:48 am »

Mondae

« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2013, 05:19:53 pm »
From what I've seen from the demo videos, your hack is truly one of the best game hacks I have ever seen. One of the things I found surprising was that the mature content was not overly done, an unfortunate tendency that has deterred me from other game hacks of this nature. Most surprising was Crono's new found voice. His dialogue fit his character so well that I could almost believe his lines came from the original game. Some things did seem a bit unpolished, but from what I've seen, you have succeeded in creating a game that, despite being vastly more expansive than the original, it still retains the same feel and intent that many have come to know and love. My hat off to you.

I would love to help out with this hack. Unfortunately, at this time, I have minimal experience with Temporal Flux. For now, the most I can do is point out some things I noticed from the demo videos, and some thoughts and ideas that might be worth considering.

I noticed two bugs in the first video. These may have been fixed at this point, but I may as well point them out (just in case). The first bug occurs after giving Marle back her pendant. When Marle thinks: ( We both heard Leene's Bell ring... ) it displays her name as Marle before she has been named. Her name should still be Gorgeous Blond at that point. The second bug occurs when the "Telepod" opens the time portal for the first time. The small boy at the bottom of the screen disappears, and then reappears after the portal closes.

At the end of the second video, it seemed like the text was forcing which characters were to be in the two groups, rather than allowing the player to make that choice. With the exception of bugs, this is the only thing I've seen that I'd consider an issue. Everything else is just nit-picking and polish basically.

In the second video, based only on what was shown, I wasn't sure whether the Prophet was having a vision of Crono or whether he was communicating with him telepathically. Considering the order of events, I can only assume it was a vision of some sort, but using the indicators for telepathy is confusing.

There were a couple of lines that seemed like they could use some touching up. As an example, the line:
"Analyzation of sub-atomic structure complete."
...could be written as:
"Analysis of sub-atomic structure complete."
They both mean the same thing, however, the second sounds better. Analyzation is more archaic. With the exception of this line, most others were simply grammatical issues.

I thought it was a neat idea trying to attribute the functioning of the "Telepod" to quantum physics. However, quantum physics alone could not explain the phenomenon. It's not quantum teleportation because the physical matter and energy are being transported from one point to another, rather than the information represented by said matter and energy. In order to properly explain such a phenomenon, such a theory would probably have to be a combination of quantum physics and general relativity.... Could call it 'quantum relativity' (as an example).

One of the best points about this hack are the many options you can choose from at the beginning. Something you might consider is integrating most of these choices into an intro sequence of some sort, where the player can get a taste of how these options will affect the game, and change the selection if desired. Maybe have someone or something (the 'entity' maybe?) guide Crono through this intro sequence....

At any rate, I wish you luck with your endeavors for this hack.

Chpexo

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2013, 05:55:33 pm »
« Last Edit: January 01, 2016, 10:48:50 am by Chpexo »

keithisgood

• [DANGER ! ! ! ! ! ! ] [TERROR HORROR]
    • View Profile
    • keithisgood
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2013, 08:20:15 pm »
Because Square likes to slap C+D notices on Chrono Trigger hacks

Bisqwit

• Polite, but politically incorrect.
    • View Profile
    • http://iki.fi/bisqwit/
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2013, 01:14:54 am »
What is the progress on this project, by the way? I see that this thread is two years old and nothing much has happened postingwise for two years.

JCE3000GT

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2013, 04:04:00 pm »
Interesting hack, especially since it is spread across 2 ROMs. Cannot wait to see the final product. :)

Because Square likes to slap C+D notices on Chrono Trigger hacks

Allegedly...  Haha!

Chpexo

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2013, 06:30:47 pm »
« Last Edit: January 01, 2016, 10:48:09 am by Chpexo »

DarknessSavior

• Darkness.
    • View Profile
    • DS: No, not the Nintendo one.
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2013, 06:42:54 pm »
I simply hate it when people bring this damn thing up. Correct me if I'm wrong, but there's only one C&D that ever happened in romhacking history. If it is real or not is one thing but it only happened ONCE. Due to this one C&D, Square Enix seems to supposedly "ALWAYS" stops Chrono Trigger projects.
Indeed. That project also came out around the time the DS game was coming out, so if Square Enix was behind it, it was for that reason. They were afraid it would lower profits for the DS game. That's been out for years now. Time to stop being afraid to hack CT.

~DS
Red Comet: :'( Poor DS. Nobody loves him like RC does. :'(
Sliver-X: LET ME INFRINGE UPON IT WITH MY MOUTH
DSRH - Currently working on: Demon's Blazon, Romancing SaGa, FFIV EasyType.
http://www.youtube.com/user/DarknessSavior

Bisqwit

• Polite, but politically incorrect.
    • View Profile
    • http://iki.fi/bisqwit/
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2013, 08:00:22 pm »
Indeed. That project also came out around the time the DS game was coming out, so if Square Enix was behind it, it was for that reason. They were afraid it would lower profits for the DS game. That's been out for years now. Time to stop being afraid to hack CT.

Still would like to see that one particular project finished some day :-/ It was so incredibly well done.

Nec5

• It was fun until humorlessness won out.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2013, 08:44:47 pm »
The blame should not be on would be hackers or modders, but on the corporate fear engendered by Square Enix. 
When Reason Fails

DarknessSavior

• Darkness.
    • View Profile
    • DS: No, not the Nintendo one.
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2013, 06:08:15 pm »
The blame should not be on would be hackers or modders, but on the corporate fear engendered by Square Enix.
Yes, but hackers should realize that it was a one time deal. And who cares if they come out and stomp on your project? The end result is the same. Right now, we're not getting an awesome hack. If the author decided to release it? The worst thing that could happen would be that SE tells him not to release it. And then we're back here anyway.

And the chances of that happening again are pretty astronomical.

~DS
Red Comet: :'( Poor DS. Nobody loves him like RC does. :'(
Sliver-X: LET ME INFRINGE UPON IT WITH MY MOUTH
DSRH - Currently working on: Demon's Blazon, Romancing SaGa, FFIV EasyType.
http://www.youtube.com/user/DarknessSavior

justin3009

• Welp
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2013, 11:41:24 pm »
As far as I know of, this is STILL being worked on.  Albeit incredibly slow from life things, but that's the last thing I've heard awhile back.  It's just heavily on the back burner.
'We have to find some way to incorporate the general civilians in the plot.'

'We'll kill off children in the Juuban district with an infection where they cough up blood and are found hanging themselves from cherry blossom trees.'

Spooniest

• Kuru zotsu!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2013, 01:19:33 pm »
I would be tickled pink if I got a C+D letter.

Musta done something right! :D
Yamero~~!

FallenAngel2387

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2013, 08:46:32 am »
I think in that particular case it was more of an issue of trying to be unofficially canon. Trying to gap the story between 2 commercial releases. Which, technically, if it was a story that needed to be told, it's something the professional developers would be inclined to do.

As long as hacks don't try to be sequels, it might be alright, but you're still better off not taking a project on a popular game public.

Vanya

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2013, 09:28:17 am »
Except you can't really make something unofficial AND canon. That would be an oxymoron. Furthermore, the protection of fan works under copyright law doesn't specify more or less protection of a fan work based on it's story.

No this was exclusively motivated by the fear of lost sales at a time of a re-release of the code the hack was based on.

I honestly wouldn't have paid the C&D much attention. The potential legal fees aside, I doubt Squenix would have actually gone through with a trial as they wouldn't have had much anything to gain in suing a fan who has naught but his own normal income. Hell, they would have gotten much more negative PR from their fans had that happened and that could potentially lead to a much greater loss of profit.

Bonesy

• Dog is God, God is Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2013, 11:42:59 am »
Personally, I think they faked the C&D for one reason or another.

Vanya

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 18, 2013, 05:44:39 pm »
what would be great is if someone had the cohones to grab the leaked demo and finish the project off.

Thanatos-Zero

• NES Graphic Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2013, 02:31:10 pm »
That video really rekindled my love for RPGs on the SNES. :D

I wish the project my best regards!