News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules

Author Topic: Lupin III - Hunt for the Legendary Treasure! (SNES)  (Read 12310 times)

furrykef

• View Profile
Lupin III - Hunt for the Legendary Treasure! (SNES)
« on: August 14, 2011, 11:35:33 pm »
I've known about this game since 2003 or 2004 or so, and it still hasn't been translated! So, sometimes if you wanna get something done, you gotta do it yourself, right? :) (I'd tried it back then, too, but it was too difficult at the time. Now I'm a better hacker and we have better tools. Also, back then my Japanese skills couldn't even qualify for Japanese 101; now I'm experienced enough to handle most of it myself.)

Sample screens:

(EDIT: I can now get two more chars per line than before, so "surprise" no longer needs to be hyphenated, but I'm too lazy to update the screenshot.)

I expect it to take a couple weeks before I'm done. Maybe sooner, but I'll say a couple of weeks to be safe. Most of what's left on the hacking side is mildly annoying stuff like the title logo and the options screen -- nothing too severe, it just takes time to work with.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2011, 12:25:28 pm by furrykef »

Cryomancer

• View Profile
Re: Lupin III - Hunt for the Legendary Treasure! (SNES)
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2011, 06:21:47 am »
Sweet, looking forward to this.
weird video game comic translations:
http://opentrain.theyear199x.org/

Gyroballer

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2011, 11:10:48 am »
Who doesn't love Lupin? Stellar work so far  :thumbsup:

RedComet

• View Profile
    • Twilight Translations
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2011, 12:18:40 pm »
Hah. This has been on my super ultra secret to-do list for years. Glad to see it finally getting some love. :)
Twilight Translations - More than just Dragonball Z. :P

Metal Knuckles

• WE MUST GATTAI
    • View Profile
    • Sonic Retro
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2011, 02:19:33 pm »
Yay!

FallenAngel2387

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2011, 09:24:16 pm »
I can remember trying this while still in Japanese. Was still pretty fun.

furrykef

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2011, 04:43:51 pm »
Arggh! I may end up having to take a little detour to write an assembler, because WLA is terrible, terrible, terrible, and xkas doesn't seem to fit my style of doing things...

I don't know, maybe I'll write the assembler afterwards so it doesn't impede progress on Lupin, but you try doing anything with macros in WLA and everything just goes to hell...

The hack and translation are halfway done, BTW.

Azkadellia

• Forum Moderator
  • 提交向你的情妇!
    • View Profile
    • Princess Translations
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2011, 04:50:45 pm »
Current Projects: On hold indefinitely.
I do the Twitter thing now: https://twitter.com/MistressSaeko (expect lots of game streaming announcements)
Mistress of the RHDN Discord server.

furrykef

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2011, 04:52:43 pm »
and xkas doesn't seem to fit my style of doing things...

yes. :P

RedComet

• View Profile
    • Twilight Translations
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2011, 06:00:15 pm »
What kind of ASM hacks are you doing? Seeing stuff like this makes me really happy. :)
Twilight Translations - More than just Dragonball Z. :P

furrykef

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2011, 06:05:36 pm »
The main thing I'm doing that requires heavy hacking (as opposed to just inserting graphics and changing addresses accordingly) is translating the typewriter sequence in the opening, where it writes out the episode title.

I've already coded it as a separate demo; I'm just trying to put it into the actual game now. I am very happy with how it looks, and it looks much better than it did in the Japanese version.

jojuinc

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2011, 04:36:25 pm »
I signed up for an account, just so I can say, thank you!

I've been wanting to play this game for years in English. I'm glad somebody is finally translating it.

Thanks, and I look forward to your great work.

jojuinc

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2011, 08:16:43 pm »
Is this still going on? I've checked daily in hopes of an update. I hope it's not dead.

furrykef

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2011, 10:59:46 pm »
It's not dead, just in stasis or something.

The whole mess with the assembler has kinda sapped my motivation. Staying with WLA is impossible -- it's too much of a crappy bug heap. So my only two options (that I know of) are to switch to xkas, which I don't really want to do, and write my own assembler, which is the thing I'm dragging my feet on getting around to doing.

I'll get it, it just might take a while...

jojuinc

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2011, 06:04:43 am »
Take your time. The lack of updates just had me worried. But, then again I'm an impatient person.

Anyway, keep up the good work. I shall wait patiently, even if it kills me. ;D

furrykef

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 01, 2012, 07:21:20 pm »
I think an update on this is overdue. It isn't a very substantial one, but I know at least jojuinc would be curious about what's been happening.
  • I've got decent progress on writing a 65816 assembler. It shouldn't be very long before it's good enough to assemble my code for Lupin, whereupon work on Lupin itself should resume almost immediately.
  • I've bought an SNES PowerPak as a part of a promise to myself to have Lupin finished or almost finished by the time it arrives (which will likely be the end of January). This way I can witness/test my work on the actual hardware.
  • I cannot guarantee anything about when the hack will be finished. Again, I hope to be done by the end of January, but no guarantees. (Especially not if I keep getting distracted by Sam & Max! ;)) I will, however, state that I will not publicly release the hack until it is 100% to my satisfaction, or at least as close to 100% as it's going to get. The reason is people would probably rush to download whatever version came out first and probably not bother to get an updated version when one is released -- I'd much rather people experience the hack as it was meant to be. Still, I'm hoping it won't be an unreasonably long time before it's ready.
  • Not news per se, but I don't think I've ever mentioned it: this will be a fully "open source" hack with all materials used to make it freely available. If you think you could make a better translation than mine, it would be reasonably easy to do so. Though, again, this will only be after the hack is finished.
So hang in there guys, it'll come out eventually. :)

Jorpho

• The cat screams with the voice of a man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2012, 09:16:54 am »
Gee, I missed this the first time around.  I heard the game was supposed to be vaguely like Super Metroid.

It makes me wonder why no one has apparently released a patch before now.  Was the game text compressed at all?
« Last Edit: January 03, 2012, 09:26:25 am by Jorpho »
This signature is an illusion and is a trap devised by Satan. Go ahead dauntlessly! Make rapid progres!

furrykef

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2012, 11:26:42 am »
Gee, I missed this the first time around.  I heard the game was supposed to be vaguely like Super Metroid.
Vaguely, yes. It's structured into levels rather than being a single large world, so perhaps closer to Castlevania. The gameplay gets rather repetitive for my taste at times, but I'm sure some people will like it.

It makes me wonder why no one has apparently released a patch before now.
Dunno. I figure part of it is the game was forgotten once the Lupin craze ended. Overall, the game hasn't proven overly difficult to hack for an experienced hacker like me. I'm only taking my sweet time because WLA is broken and I'm too stubborn to use xkas...

Was the game text compressed at all?
No, but the text was tricky to find because the charset is 16-bit (little-endian) and non-contiguous, like this:

0000-0F00:  あいうえおかきくけこさしすせそ
2000-2F00: たちつてとなにぬねのはひふへほま

Notice how it skips over 1000-1F00. That's because trying to print them will print gibberish characters (the lower halves of the characters in the first row combined with the top halves of the characters in the second). I didn't find the text until I reverse-engineered the code enough to find where it was pulling the text data from. Once I found a block of text in the ROM, though, it was just a matter of changing bytes and seeing what they printed.

The font, on the other hand, was compressed. But instead of bothering with decoding the compression, I took a suggestion from Lakmir (a.k.a. Gideon Zhi) and simply stored an uncompressed font in one of the game's many blocks of free space and just had the game load that at the appropriate time.