News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Hacking the original Metal Gear NES  (Read 26991 times)

xttx

• View Profile
Re: Hacking the original Metal Gear NES
« Reply #20 on: June 11, 2013, 08:16:59 pm »
edit*

« Last Edit: March 16, 2014, 12:27:44 am by xttx »

xttx

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 15, 2014, 08:58:00 pm »
I know it has been a while and nothing has been said of this. Just wondering if the author is willing to at least share some of his work so it can be picked up and/or at least continued.

All apologies all for the bump, just hoping the op sees this and is willing to share an update, that is all.  To be clear im not asking for a release date, demo etc, just would like to try to help make sure this project continues on.

mrrichard999

• So Goooood! :D
    • View Profile
    • GameFAQS Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 01, 2014, 02:13:19 am »
Hey what happened with this project? It looks like it had promise!  :woot!:

xttx

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 04, 2014, 04:33:25 pm »
Hello Jonesy,

My offer still stands through the pms i have sent that i would love to help you keep this project going and see it make it out to the masses.

You did one awesome job and it would be a shame to see this project die off without seeing the light of day. Please feel free to pm or respond back.  :cookie: :) You put some time into this project and the game really looks like a great hack and great work you have done.

AS far as i know, this is the first legit metal gear hack that i have ever seen. Ive actually been watching this topic for quite some time now.

zstandig

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 13, 2014, 02:57:52 pm »
I just wanted to say that anyone modding NES Metal Gear to be more like MSX Metal Gear is doing God's work. 

Jonesy47

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 20, 2015, 01:43:48 pm »
IM RESSURECTING THIS SHIZE.
Originally, I successfully hacked Metal Gear into...Metal gear but I lost all the progress before I submitted the hack (there were finishing touches I thought Id get to and then my laptop exploded) SO, years later, with further experience romhacking (not MUCH more) and a renewed vigor, I will be finishing this so I can submit and be done with it.
I hope to change MANY things to match the msx original as well.

STAY TUNED.

edit: Could a mod switch this to a Personal Projects thread?
I no longer have any questions and it has turned into a full project now!
« Last Edit: May 20, 2015, 02:16:11 pm by Jonesy47 »

VicVergil

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 21, 2015, 06:30:19 am »
Originally, I successfully hacked Metal Gear into...Metal gear but I lost all the progress before I submitted the hack (there were finishing touches I thought Id get to and then my laptop exploded) SO, years later, with further experience romhacking (not MUCH more) and a renewed vigor, I will be finishing this so I can submit and be done with it.

STAY TUNED.

That's exciting :D It's like a dream coming true, it was pretty soul-crushing this project went for a while without a release.

If you still accept suggestions, the pipe tiles, and the green-ish palette in the Metal Gear room are a bit... crude. You could go wild with creative license if you find that those palettes aren't optimal.

Chpexo

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 21, 2015, 12:10:13 pm »
« Last Edit: January 01, 2016, 09:44:32 am by Chpexo »

xttx

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 21, 2015, 09:41:00 pm »

STAY TUNED.

Excellent, excellent news my friend! I have been following this thread for quite some time, as a matter of fact it's one of the reasons why i ever signed up in the first place. Please do keep us posted and can't wait to see what you do. Looking back at what you have done already it's great work!  :crazy:

MethidMan

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 04, 2015, 10:55:36 pm »
Really looking forward to this~ I always thought it was unfortunate that the Metal Gear itself didn't show up in the game.

viparas

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: September 10, 2015, 10:05:10 pm »
I just came across this while trying to find any improvement hacks that might have already been made for the game (there really is only the Personal Area Network hack unfortuately) This project is very exciting and I hope it comes to fruition! I will definitely be keeping an eye on the thread and front page for updates. Speaking of the PAN hack, is it likely with your changes to the game, that the PAN hack will not function? It is quite nice not having to shuffle cards constantly looking for the right one while choking on gas / getting shot / etc

obscurumlux01

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 10, 2015, 11:02:44 pm »
Four years later, heh.

I feel it is only fitting considering we've got the MGS5 release still on our minds at this point in time and the series is (for all intents and purposes) complete.
If you have a PS3 you can grab the entire 'Metal Gear Legacy Collection' which has EVERY game including the two original MSX ports of Metal Gear 1 & 2 from Japan (but translated).
If you have a 360 you are stuck with the 'Metal Gear HD Collection' which is missing MGS1 & VR Missions as well as MSG4.

If you have neither?  There's always emulation of the PS2 version of MGS3 or the native PC port of MGS3 with some bonus stuff called MGS3 Subsistence (or something like that).

Btw Jonesy, you are treading dangerously into plagiarism territory with that 'foxhound' icon looking like a hack of the 'Super Bunnyhop' logo that was created by Satchell Drakes.

Unless you explicitly contacted Satchell Drakes and asked them for permission to use their modified artwork without attribution, then that is pretty clear plagiarism there.

Please be sure you mind your manners and attribute properly when you 'borrow' stuff from other people using stuff outside the scope of the game data itself; in this case the Konami & Metal Gear brand/universe.  Importing stuff from the MSX game is fine since it is within Konami's thing but when you start ripping off others and claim credit for it, then that becomes a bit scummy.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2015, 01:47:35 am by obscurumlux01 »

mrrichard999

• So Goooood! :D
    • View Profile
    • GameFAQS Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 11, 2015, 12:18:39 am »
Doesn't look like Jonesey is doing anything wrong. Looks like an exact pull from the MSX version.

Seihen

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 11, 2015, 12:28:57 am »
Btw Jonesy, you are treading dangerously into plagiarism territory with that 'foxhound' icon looking like a hack of the 'Super Bunnyhop' logo that was created by Satchell Drakes.

Unless you explicitly contacted Satchell Drakes and asked them for permission to use their modified artwork without attribution, then that is pretty clear plagiarism there.

Please be sure you mind your manners and attribute properly when you 'borrow' stuff from other people using stuff outside the scope of the game data itself; in this case the Konami & Metal Gear brand/universe.  Importing stuff from the MSX game is fine since it is within Konami's thing but when you start ripping off others and claim credit for it, then that becomes a bit scummy.

That logo was in the original game.
http://www.imfdb.org/images/thumb/c/ce/MG2_Fox_Logo.png/450px-MG2_Fox_Logo.png

Perhaps you should do your research before accusing others of ripping off someone else's material. In fact, I think Satchell Drakes needs to explain himself and why he's ripping off Konami's work from the 90s.

obscurumlux01

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 11, 2015, 01:53:56 am »
I confirmed your source from a more reliable source on MobyGames.

You are indeed correct in your regard and I didn't do the proper research on the game ahead of time.  I'd presumed that logo had been added in by the rom modification rather than a native part of the game itself.

And yeah, Satchell Drakes does need to answer for his plagiarism.  I'll get right on it and they will hear from me (and possibly Konami themselves).
Attribution is all part of Fair Use.  If someone fails to properly attribute the works of others that have been used, then they tread the line straight over to plagiarism.  They get no sympathy from me.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2015, 01:59:17 am by obscurumlux01 »

dACE

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 11, 2015, 04:38:58 am »

Yeah - and every rom-hacker will of course seek out all the original creators (or their next of kin) and kindly ask for their permission to do whatever to their original work BEFORE they even consider a rom-hack.

That is not what rom-hacking is about - it is literally in the name. Hacking is, after all, short for hijacking - something that rarely is associated with consent.

/dACE

obscurumlux01

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 11, 2015, 11:22:32 pm »
Yeah - and every rom-hacker will of course seek out all the original creators (or their next of kin) and kindly ask for their permission to do whatever to their original work BEFORE they even consider a rom-hack.
That is not what rom-hacking is about - it is literally in the name. Hacking is, after all, short for hijacking - something that rarely is associated with consent.
/dACE

Hacking isn't short for 'hijacking'.  Where the hell did you come up with that?
Back in ye olden days before you could 'surf the Information SuperHighway' on AOL and CompuServe there were the 'Ma Bell' Phone Phreakers which were the pregenitors to the current hacking scene.
Later on, it morphed into the dem0scene (which is still around today) focused on demonstrations of coding and artistic skill within very strict size/duration/language limits and what we think of as hackers which are people knowledgeable about computers at detailed level to manipulate them for specific purposes.  You have your white-hats and your black-hats.

As far as rom hacking, it is implied that you are changing something that 'belongs' to someone else under the guise of Fair Use.  When you stay within the universe and import stuff from subsequent games into older ones then that is fine (or vice versa) but when you start going outside of those limitations then you are treading into dangerous territory.

I already answered earlier that Satchell Drakes didn't create that logo and instead plagiarized it from the original artist(s) at Konami that created it.  Whether that artwork was actually done by Konami or also plagiarized from someone else (in Japan?) even earlier is unknown.  In the early days of video games, Japanese developers routinely plagiarized material from other sources including sound effects, music, graphics, palette choices, sprites, and code; it didn't matter whether it was of Japanese or non-Japanese origin.

Plagiarism in the rom hacking scene is avoided by attribution (which was my main point).  If you read the entire sentence it says 'unless you contacted X and asked them for permission to use their modified artwork WITHOUT ATTRIBUTION'.  Meaning if you want to use it without permission then you have to attribute it.  It is good manners to do so, both here in the rom hacking community and in other forms of 'hacking'.

Also, where do you get off quoting something that looks like this and then leaving that out of your quote?  There's a reason it had a strikethrough (the information was inaccurate).  You are doing the equivalent of 'old man yells at clouds'.

I don't know what you think of with hacking but back in the day if you were caught using another scene-group's code in your 'release' without attribution then you were raked over the coals and absolutely obliterated in the online discussions.  You were effectively blacklisted as a 'leech' and 'sellout' and you were lucky if ANYONE carried your releases or bothered to report on them anymore.  Attribution is good manners, both for fair use and for common sense.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2015, 11:29:35 pm by obscurumlux01 »

Isao Kronos

• Dog is God, God is Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 12, 2015, 01:42:19 am »
almost every single post i've seen from you is assaulting other members or being a wank, please be more respectful
will hackrom for Red Lobster Cheddar Bay biscuits

obscurumlux01

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 12, 2015, 07:31:20 am »
almost every single post i've seen from you is assaulting other members or being a wank, please be more respectful

Please practice what you preach, Mr not-a-mod.  :P

henke37

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 12, 2015, 09:18:08 am »
Plagiarizing is different from copyright infringement. You can do one without doing the other.