News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules

Author Topic: Support for English Characters?  (Read 2605 times)

Penance

• View Profile
Support for English Characters?
« on: July 30, 2011, 01:11:27 pm »
I'm working on a PS2 game for sheer practice with the system, and I've run into something I'm not quite sure how to resolve. The game uses a fixed width font, so any Japanese I translate into English stays full width:  l  i  k  e   s  o .
I have noticed, however, that the game only supports ABCDEF and not ABCDEF etc.

How... difficult would it be to resolve this issue? Is it something as hard as coding a VWF into the game?

Spikeman

• *unce unce unce*
    • View Profile
    • None at the moment, check out my Last.fm page instead?
Re: Support for English Characters?
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2011, 10:53:31 pm »
It really depends on how the game does things. Sometimes you get lucky and the game uses a width table with all the values set to the same thing for a "fixed width" font. If the font is truly fixed width, the easiest hack is usually a half-width font. So if it's 16 wide, making it 8 wide. Again, it depends on how the game does things. If it's drawing to a tile-based background, a VWF will be harder than if it's using a separate sprite to display each character. It will require an ASM hack unless there is already a width table in the game. The good news is that a HWF is a great starter ASM hack, and usually easy to turn into a VWF.
Open Source Hacking Projects: Guru Logic Champ, Telefang 2, (Want more? Check out my GitHub!)