News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Zelda: A link to the past (help)  (Read 4820 times)

Eraizaa-kun

• View Profile
Zelda: A link to the past (help)
« on: July 19, 2011, 05:35:21 pm »
Hello!  (new here and all)

Well, I've been trying to make a hack of this game for my sister.  You know, just for the fun of it.  Most, if not all, of what I'm doing is editing dungeons. I wanted to add some extra challenges in some places and remove annoyances in others.  I know my sis will enjoy the ideas I got for the game.  So far I'm doing more or less okay with Hyrule Magic, although the program often crashes on me when I try to change doors, but, I can even work with that.

I do want to make other changes, but it seems to require ASM knowledge.  I tried reading a lot about this subject.  I could find things about how to apply an ASM file to a rom and information about Binaries and Hexadecimals, but, what I can't find is how to know which code to change to cause what effect in the game.  I'm pretty much stuck here. 

I would appreciate if someone could help me to figure this out.  This is really my first hack. ^^;

What I'm trying to do is:

1-Make the Book of Mudora fully replenish magic when used (like the Big Magic/Green Potion) without the Book losing its original use.  I am aware that it would make the game too easy if she gets the Magic Cape, Cane of Byrna or any of the medallions, but, I plan to move things around so that she can't abuse that.

2-Any suggestions on how to remove an item/weapon from Link before he gets to the boss of a dungeon?  It would be interesting to force my sis to think in new ways when facing familiar situations.  I was thinking something like maybe a big Fairy asks for that specific item in exchange for the Boss Key, or maybe simply walking into a room would make the item disappear or become unusable.  Of course, I would have to add a chest or something at the end of the dungeon so that Link can remover it.

I guess if the hack comes out good enough I could always upload it somewhere, but, yeah, for now it's just something I want to do for fun.

Oh!  Also, although I can work around that doors glitch in Hyrule Magic, if anyone has a suggestion on how to work with the doors without the whole thing crashing, I'd appreciate that too.

MathOnNapkins

• Forum Moderator
  • Who ya gonna call
    • View Profile
    • Arc-Nova - Rohmackin' and Chiptunin'
Re: Zelda: A link to the past (help)
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2011, 09:37:55 pm »
Those are both fairly reasonable (simple) ASM hacks, but I'd say you'd have to know how to use ASM to achieve those of course. If you're willing to do the footwork, I could supply you the ASM file to use to make it happen. But I'd need more specifics for the second one. In other words, I'd forbid one of more items from being used in a specific room, but I'd have to know what room and what item. The first one can be hacked in fairly easily by just responding to the action of using the Book of Mudora. There's a RAM location you can write to that can refill magic by a given amount. If you wrote 128 to it, it would always refill it fully.

Eraizaa-kun

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2011, 06:08:31 pm »
Thanks for the help!

EDIT:  Okay, I WAS planning on changing bosses around, but...it seems that if they aren't in the room where they were supposed to appear in, then their appearance changes.  They look like bits of other sprites mashed together.  Any idea how to fix this?

« Last Edit: August 15, 2011, 10:37:11 pm by Eraizaa-kun »

slidelljohn

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2011, 04:49:17 pm »
Okay, I WAS planning on changing bosses around, but...it seems that if they aren't in the room where they were supposed to appear in, then their appearance changes.  They look like bits of other sprites mashed together.  Any idea how to fix this?
If the animations of the bosses are loading and the sprites look like bits of other sprites mashed together then it seems like the sprites for the bosses
were never written to vram or they were written over. It can be fixed but you really need to know snes asm to fix it. Have you looked at the vram in vsnes?

Eraizaa-kun

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2011, 05:49:34 pm »
vram and vsnes? 

Those are really new words for me.  But, at least it gives me new things to look into.

Thanks for the tip!

EDIT: Okay, now I got another weird situation that I never saw coming.  I added a cave entrance to the Dungeon on the Dessert (2nd Pendant).  By that I mean, after solving stuffs in the dungeon, you need to find your way to this cave where you can find a way back into the Dungeon and find the boss.  The Boss's room is still the same one it is on the original game, but when you defeat the boss, it doesn't drop the Pendant.   Any idea what went wrong here?   

EDIT2:  ...uhh...I just forgot to set the Cave's entrance to "Dungeon" ^^;    Fixed!

You know what guys, I just realized, I'm really getting ahead of myself here.  I mean, I JUST finished editing the dungeon for the 3rd pendant.  Yeah, I think I'm going to actually finish editing the dungeons first before I actually decide what I need banned and where and stuffs.

If someone could link me to an actual ASM file dealing with Items on Zelda: A Link to the Past, I'll appreciate it.  After all, with all the reading I've done in so many places online, I haven't really seen what a finished ASM file looks like.  Maybe if I see one and know what it's meant to do, it'll help me figure stuffs.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2011, 10:36:17 pm by Eraizaa-kun »

Eraizaa-kun

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2011, 08:03:58 pm »
Hi again

Well, I managed to fix the problem with the Boss's sprite coming out wrong, but I ran into another problem. 

I changed around the room in Dungeon 4 where Blind is supposed to be revealed.  I placed the Blind Sprite exactly where it was on the original game (room, position, layer) with the light (FF1) exactly where it was as well, and even the room where the light shines from (101) is still the same, but the Maiden won't change into Blind when I get her into that room.  The music doesn't change, she doesn't vanish, nothing.  I then tried eliminating all of the changes I made to that room and returning it exactly to the way it originally was, but still nothing.

Any suggestions on how to fix this?...that is, if it can be fixed.

EDIT: Fixed!  It seems that going directly from room 101 to the Boss's room stopped any Boss from working, so, yeah. Took another route.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2011, 02:04:45 am by Eraizaa-kun »