News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Hi new here also seeking advice  (Read 2567 times)

Arawn

• View Profile
Hi new here also seeking advice
« on: July 05, 2011, 10:40:12 am »
im new here and i love tales Series i want to be a romhacker to translate Tales of hearts and other games why not? but i have zero experience do you happen to have some guides? im an ambitious man so don worry about getting the project dropped  i translate till my eyes bleed if only i know how to do it^^

Ryusui

• It's the greatest day.
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
Re: Hi new here also seeking advice
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2011, 11:55:40 am »
My advice to you? Start with a simpler project. DS hacking is in many ways easier than hacking on other platforms, but it requires extra knowhow to guarantee a professional-looking result.
In the event of a firestorm, the salad bar will remain open.

Arawn

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2011, 12:37:53 pm »
i don mind i come here fully resolved with every intention to becoming a pro i study as much as i need to and iam aware of the high difficulty^^ but i wont falter i get up again even if i fail a thousand times iam serious can you teach me?

Ryusui

• It's the greatest day.
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2011, 01:05:55 pm »
Romhacking is something best learned by experience, one problem at a time. That's not to say we can't give you a nudge in the right direction, or help you understand the finer points of a given issue, but we generally don't go in for hand-holding. The Zen of Romhacking is that you cannot be taught it unless you already know it. ^_^;

At any rate, this is a good place to start. You can find docs here explaining all the basic concepts. As for a beginner project, I'd personally recommend something on NES, SNES or Game Boy: these are the most well-documented platforms, meaning that any questions you might have are likely to already have answers. Plus you won't be faulted if you don't leap immediately into ASM and code a VWF. :3
In the event of a firestorm, the salad bar will remain open.

Arawn

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2011, 01:31:46 pm »
ah i see i apologize for the rudeness earlier Thank you very much sir^^for the guides i mean

Kajitani-Eizan

• You couldn't kill me if I tried to let you
    • View Profile
    • KAJITANI-EIZAN's Patch Site: Reimagination
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2011, 03:58:41 pm »
the game already has a vwf so there's no problems there :P

this should give you some starting material to work with to learn the basics. it's an uphill battle, but if you're willing to devote some time and effort to learning it, you can get there! good luck!

The Newbie Package of REQUIRED Material

ROMHacking.net FAQ: You ask, we answer!
ROMHacking.net Getting Started Section: Newbies Go HERE!
ROMHacking.net Documents Section!
How to ask questions the smart way.
On the Essence of ROM Hacking
Talk with experienced people in our IRC chat and ask specific questions there.

Arawn

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2011, 05:33:13 pm »
Thank you sir Eizan^^its an honor to meet you^^i have all of your patches impressive yes i just noticed oh well there still other games^^ i want to made my own team after all^^