News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: (Request) Sweet Home: Text Dump  (Read 5554 times)

Welsh

• View Profile
(Request) Sweet Home: Text Dump
« on: July 03, 2011, 09:06:33 am »
Hi guys,

My name is Welsh. I'm one of the Japanese translators at projectumbrella.net - a Resident Evil/Biohazard site.

I'm working on a remake of 'Sweet Home' for PC with enhanced graphics (based on concept artwork) more in tune with the SNES. Many elements were removed or not implemented due to the famicom's limitations. The English translation was great, but heavily abridged, again, due to limitations. Some people from gamehacking.org pointed me here.

I need a text dump of 'Sweet Home' and the 'Sample version'. I tried dumping it myself, but the tiles contains two hiragana displayed in different palettes so I've been unsuccessful. So far, I've found a bit of unused text and quite a few unused graphics, including character animations.

Is anyone interested in this project? I know it doesn't relate directly to NES modding, but I've invested a bit of time and money and I want to include as much unused content as possible.

Thanks for your consideration.

July 05, 2011, 02:27:04 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
I don't like to double-post, but I can't believe nobody has done this yet. Can someone at least point me in right direction?
« Last Edit: July 05, 2011, 02:27:04 pm by Welsh »

gadesx

• View Profile
    • Gadesx scene
Re: (Request) Sweet Home: Text Dump
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2011, 02:01:07 am »
you can try send a email to the main author of the translation, this game seems not
have the text at simple sight

Welsh

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2011, 08:41:24 am »
you can try send a email to the main author of the translation, this game seems not
have the text at simple sight

I tried that. Gaijin productions hasn't been updated since '02. The problem is that the text is duel-type encoded and I don't have any experience with those. Thanks though.

I need a complete text dump with unused dialogue to make this project unique, otherwise, it's not worth pursuing. For example, a more literal translation of the first two fresco messages would be:

Jan.6
Every 3 pieces as a set of the frescos in the mansion shall solve a puzzle.

Jan.15
The rock is standing in your way, but if use a hammer that won't be a problem anymore.

And the booklet:

"Thirty years ago, the genius painter Ichirou Mamiya built a large estate in the heart of the mountains and so was drawing fresco paintings there. He was living happily with his wife and child, but lost the two during a certain incident and fell into the depths of misery. And as 30 years went by, now that Ichirou has also passed away, nobody would approach the Mamiya estate and it came to be feared of as a haunted house.
However, the five staff of one TV station broke the thirty year prohibition to cover the fresco paintings that Ichiro Mamiya painted and the tragedy began from the moment they enter this mansion. The mansion shakes, the ceiling collapses and five people are trapped. And then, the ghost of the Mamiya family appears… Seeking an exit, the battle against fear in 'Sweet Home' begins now!!"
« Last Edit: July 06, 2011, 08:48:55 am by Welsh »

Paul Jensen

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2011, 09:26:17 am »
I need a complete text dump with unused dialogue to make this project unique, otherwise, it's not worth pursuing. For example, a more literal translation of the first two fresco messages would be:

This has been said before in other threads, but I'd recommend you try for a natural-sounding localization rather than a literal-sounding translation. By that I mean you should take your translated text and try to make it sound as well written and natural as possible in your target language. Don't worry about sticking to the original phrasing and grammar of the Japanese text. It's all good as long as you can convery the original's meaning and tone.

Also, I noticed a few grammar errors and strange sentences in the examples you provided. One in particular...

Seeking an exit, the battle against fear in 'Sweet Home' begins now!!"

...seems to carry the meaning that the battle itself is the one seeking an exit.

Not trying to bash your project, by the way. It'd be great to see a better-looking version of Sweet Home. Good luck with it.

HTH
Sign THIS!

Gideon Zhi

• Discord Staff
    • View Profile
    • Aeon Genesis
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2011, 12:16:57 pm »
Not trying to bash your project, by the way. It'd be great to see a better-looking version of Sweet Home. Good luck with it.

HTH

This is something I'd be interested in as well - interested in doing the hacking for, even! But I have similar concerns about the stylistic nature of the translation. Overly literal = bland and horrible to read. As Paul stated, it's really about conveying the message rather than a word-for-word literal translation.

Edit: I've always loved haunted house stories, but my immediate interest in this is probably bolstered by the audio recording of Shirley Jackson's The Haunting of Hill House that I'm listening to in the car at present ;)
« Last Edit: July 10, 2011, 12:44:24 pm by Gideon Zhi »

DarknessSavior

• Darkness.
    • View Profile
    • DS: No, not the Nintendo one.
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2011, 05:01:13 pm »
This is something I'd be interested in as well - interested in doing the hacking for, even! But I have similar concerns about the stylistic nature of the translation. Overly literal = bland and horrible to read. As Paul stated, it's really about conveying the message rather than a word-for-word literal translation.

Edit: I've always loved haunted house stories, but my immediate interest in this is probably bolstered by the audio recording of Shirley Jackson's The Haunting of Hill House that I'm listening to in the car at present ;)
I'd be more than interested in translating Sweet Home. I loved the game, and would love to see it get a better hack. My translations are not literal, but rather as close as I can get that still conveys the same message but also makes sense in English. If it sounds like crap, I re-word it until it sounds good.

But if you're interested, it would have to be something with a long time frame. I'm pretty busy right now, as far as translations are concerned.

~DS
Red Comet: :'( Poor DS. Nobody loves him like RC does. :'(
Sliver-X: LET ME INFRINGE UPON IT WITH MY MOUTH
DSRH - Currently working on: Demon's Blazon, Romancing SaGa, FFIV EasyType.
http://www.youtube.com/user/DarknessSavior

Welsh

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2011, 08:52:17 pm »
Thanks. For those of you interested, send me a PM.

Welsh

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2011, 06:24:45 pm »

I don't mean to bump old threads, but is there any renewed interest in this project? The guy who was working with me quit.

Pennywise

• I'm curious
    • View Profile
    • Yojimbo's Translations
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2011, 06:28:14 pm »
You just want the original Japanese script from the NES ROM?

Welsh

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2012, 11:25:33 pm »
Yeah. Please.

Welsh

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2012, 09:17:44 pm »
Hi guys,

The project is progressing. Could someone please provide a text dump or instructions on how to dump duel-encoded Japanese characters? It's been a year and this thing is kicking my ass...

Pennywise

• I'm curious
    • View Profile
    • Yojimbo's Translations
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2012, 10:26:04 pm »
I've got a partial table for the game. The game uses a dictionary which will need to be dumped and added to the table, but it appears to be relatively small. Text and pointer storage appear to be relatively simple, but not without some quirks.

There's a still a few unknown variables, but this should cover most of the text. There's probably more text, but for your purposes the current script probably suits your purposes fine.

http://yojimbo.eludevisibility.org/Stuff/Sweet%20Home.txt
« Last Edit: May 24, 2012, 07:22:07 pm by Pennywise »