News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules

Author Topic: Translations: The Death of Crimson Nocturnal  (Read 35266 times)

badinsults

• View Profile
    • Snes Central
Re: Translations: The Death of Crimson Nocturnal
« Reply #20 on: May 17, 2011, 08:36:23 am »
Drama quits are rarely due to outside influences, regardless that it is the reason they stated.

I'm sure there was some deep seated disagreements between the members of the hacking group. Without any background knowledge of the people in this group, I don't know what drama existed within the group, but I'm sure it must have been there. I've been in the emulation scene long enough to have seen it all.

What Defines A Monster?

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 17, 2011, 08:50:38 am »
Without any background knowledge of the people in this group, I don't know what drama existed within the group, but I'm sure it must have been there. I've been in the emulation scene long enough to have seen it all.

And you would be right.

As was mentioned before, this was a group that had such dissension that a guy literally quit over the ingame description of the Haniwa's Seven Sword.

Seriously.

It turned into a big drama fight over whether or not Japan existed in the SaGa II universe or not, with harsh words on all sides.
What sayest thou, o fool? I say that religion hath done my bidding for me- while ye pretend free will exists, ye take it away and convert by force. Such is ye, who do my work.

Nightcrawler

• View Profile
    • Nightcrawler's Translation Corporation
« Reply #22 on: May 17, 2011, 12:53:51 pm »
Can't we all just get along? At the Red House, we CAN!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vnOyMSEWNTs

One of my favorite videos of all time. Watch to the end. If you didn't at least chuckle at some point, you have no sense of humor! :P That's a real place by the way.
TransCorp - Over 20 years of community dedication.
Dual Orb 2, Wozz, Emerald Dragon, Tenshi No Uta, Glory of Heracles IV SFC/SNES Translations

z01

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 17, 2011, 01:59:37 pm »
tldr; quitting scene
I personally think The Death of Crimson Nocturnal death is a little suspicious. They have only done one translation and we have never got word from any of the members. Also the updater of their death is from a user called Someone (here's the link to the user http://www.romhacking.net/forum/index.php?action=profile;u=11130 ) who has never submitted a single post.

But what the heck do I know?
Have you been to their site? The message was copied from there verbatim. As I believe those guys are originally from the DS translation scene on GBATemp, I went to there to see if they handed down some of the processed game resources to anyone, but their threads were closed by the request of the original poster. DarthNemesis, who worked as the lead programmer on their projects also hangs around here, so if there was any question of validity he'd probably chime in with something.

Me_Dave

• Romhacking Psychoanalyst
    • View Profile
    • Kid Klown's KrazyNES
« Reply #24 on: May 18, 2011, 12:04:21 pm »
tldr; quitting scene
I personally think The Death of Crimson Nocturnal death is a little suspicious. They have only done one translation.

for Nintendo DS that is a Big Accomplishment I'm sure it was a pain..   
Kid Klown's KrazyNES
They saw what the 600 Member's can do, lets show them what the 54,000 can do.

bradzx

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 18, 2011, 04:24:01 pm »
Huh.  What a wimp to quit work.  I don't like people do quit.  Just saying.
Are you huge fan of Megaman Xtreme 2?   Then check this progress of Remastered version!

amitrius17

• View Profile
    • FantasyAnime
« Reply #26 on: May 18, 2011, 04:49:40 pm »
I don't know why this is newsworthy. I've seen so many people come and go over the years, it's just commonplace. *shrug* I do like the spin here breaking this out into a discussion of our community dynamics though. For me, it always comes down to being in it for the right reasons or the wrong reasons. The people that are in it for the right reasons are long lasting. The people that aren't, don't last. When you're in it for the right reasons, the naysayers aren't going to stop you.

I also agree ignoring people that upset you is a fundamental skill of life for coexisting with other humans, especially if they have no direct influence or control over you.

Agree, agree, and agree! Well said, Nightcrawler. In my eyes this thread ended with your post. The concept you brought up isn't very different from the business world, with companies that have established a mission statement versus those that haven't.
[ fantasyanime.com ] RPGs & Anime

Metal Knuckles

• WE MUST GATTAI
    • View Profile
    • Sonic Retro
« Reply #27 on: May 18, 2011, 11:48:17 pm »
Huh.  What a wimp to quit work.  I don't like people do quit.  Just saying.
And on the other side of the issue, we have this garbage going on, where situations occur in absolutes with no room to consider the reasons. No, to them, quitting is a shameful activity, regardless of the reasons. Just like long waits between status updates, and not meeting their expectations in localization names or project features. Reasoning with these people is useless, as their opinion will always be right, regardless of faults in it.

Just saying.

Aquillion

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 19, 2011, 05:20:48 pm »
for Nintendo DS that is a Big Accomplishment I'm sure it was a pain.
Is working with the DS that hard?

I mean, there's a lot of advantages to working with it that you don't have when working with older consoles -- it has an internal file structure using standardized compression that is trivial to decompress, say, and there's several standard file types for a lot of things which weren't standardized on, say, the SNES.  I don't know a lot about in-depth translation efforts or romhacking, but certainly it's much easier to open up a typical DS game and do some basic poking around than it is with older consoles.

(One things that's surprised me is that there have been a few 'open translations' for the DS that were surprisingly effective, with everything public -- I think Soma Bringer was one?  Culdcept DS, too, but I think most of the effort still ended up getting done by one guy.  Still, I'm surprised that it worked at all.  There are obvious disadvantages to doing it that way, like the risk of losing a standard voice, and obviously some things that can't be done by a community, but it does at least reduce drama...  of course, one thing that both Soma Bringer and Culdcept DS had in common was that they're games with huge amounts of separate little non-dialog textfiles that needed translation.)

Kiyoshi Aman

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
  • Browncoat Captain
    • View Profile
    • Aerdan's Blog
« Reply #29 on: May 19, 2011, 07:05:23 pm »
Pay no, or minimal, attention to Me_Dave—he's one of several folks here who tend to post things of little to no import. Unfortunately, this is not a bannable offense.

Josephine Lithius

• THE WORLD IS MINE!!
    • View Profile
    • Jo Li KMC @ Tumblr
« Reply #30 on: May 20, 2011, 12:39:48 am »
This news displeases me greatly.  I was really, really looking forward to the release of the SaGa 3 DS English patch, since it's my favorite game in the series, but now?  Apparently, thanks to people who just couldn't patiently wait for Crimson Nocturnal to make progress at whatever pace they saw fit?  Now, it's not going to happen.  Or at the very least, not going to happen as quickly.  I guess you can look at this several ways, though.
On the one hand, were these people really that bad that Crimson Nocturnal had to close their doors?  It was just words.  Hot air.  On the other hand, did these people really have nothing better to do that harass the translation group?

Such is life, I suppose...  Or at least the Internet.  Where everyone is still in High School.

Klarth

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 20, 2011, 02:58:43 am »
The SaGa curse still has some power even today.

Eien Ni Hen

• You entitled girlfriend!
    • View Profile
    • Desert Bus Translations
« Reply #32 on: May 20, 2011, 11:20:26 pm »
The SaGa curse still has some power even today.

You know, Gideon told me about the SaGa curse, but it didn't stop me from finishing the script for Romancing Saga 2.  :P

For awhile there, I was worried about getting hit by a bus or eaten by a bear or something...  :-\
Soon the super karate monkey death car would park in my space. But Jimmy has fancy plans... and pants to match. The monkey clown horrible karate round and yummy like cute small baby chick would beat the donkey.

Gideon Zhi

• Discord Staff
    • View Profile
    • Aeon Genesis
« Reply #33 on: May 20, 2011, 11:27:07 pm »
Maybe it's the SaGa curse that's keeping me from getting back to it! OooOOoOOoooo....

Josephine Lithius

• THE WORLD IS MINE!!
    • View Profile
    • Jo Li KMC @ Tumblr
« Reply #34 on: May 21, 2011, 05:34:45 pm »
You guys are adorable.  Thanks for adding some humor to this drama-fest.  :)

demione

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 25, 2011, 01:24:40 am »
In my time in the scene, I've come across two types of people: those that take responsibility for their actions, and those that create drama.

Just my two cents.

Someone

« Reply #36 on: May 25, 2011, 04:44:22 am »
My first and last post, lest there be a response to this.

I was the one who wrote the news article, as everyone already knows. I'm not related to Crimson Nocturnal, not at all. I would have written the article in a different manner if I was. My original article consisted of just a few sentences. Very lazy of me. Fortunately, either the admins or mods changed it, and it became the article that you see today.

Pay no, or minimal, attention to Me_Dave—he's one of several folks here who tend to post things of little to no import.

I agree. If there were more people like him, then nothing good will come out. There's the weaboos as well, and the OM* people, things like that.

P.S.: I was not aware of this, but there you go. At least this gets more coverage due to it being in the front page.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2011, 05:02:45 am by Someone »

GreenBanana

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 26, 2011, 09:43:55 pm »
Actually this news IS an insult to the first two groups.  having been a close follower of Crimson Nocturnal's website, I can vouch first-hand that there were no ill messages being directed publicly towards the webhost; if there were I certainly would have easily manned up and ignored him.  Really, the only malevolence on that website was the fact that there were a couple of spambots on the forums advertising crap.  That's it.  To abandon a vital project to the history of video gaming for some emo tantrum is wrong.  And if there were people bitching to know what the group's status was, it's only logical when you lack a site update for three months. 

SaGa 3 is a piece of video gaming history that transpires decades of evolutionary trends.  It is a piece of our nostalgic history as well as an excellent title that desperately requires a release.  There is no need to give up on an essential project, and it is with best hope and wishes that we gather together and ensure that our duty does not go unheeded. 

KM

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 30, 2011, 08:58:35 pm »
Maybe it's time to just give the 3rd group a choice, wait forever, or start learning Japanese.
I honestly started doing the latter because I knew some of the games I wanted to play wouldn't be translated, and a lot of them still aren't. I'm glad now that I made that choice as I've been able to play a lot of games that may never see a translation. (Like Narikiri Dungeon X) So if you want to complain, either suck it up and learn Japanese, or quit bitching. Then again, it's not like bitchers actually attempt to accomplish anything anyway, so, viscous cycle.

Aquillion

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 02, 2011, 01:01:38 am »
To abandon a vital project to the history of video gaming for some emo tantrum is wrong.  And if there were people bitching to know what the group's status was, it's only logical when you lack a site update for three months. 
Well, now, let's not go that far.

I agree that this goodbye message is a bit too drama-intense for my tastes, but what it comes down to is that if they weren't having fun making a translation (and it's obvious that whoever wrote this goodbye message obviously wasn't having fun anymore, all else aside), they should stop.  In the long run, having a bunch of people who aren't having fun in the scene isn't any good for anyone, since it just leads to more tensions and such when someone does snap.

It's not like translating SaGa 3 was some sacred duty of theirs.  It's unfortunate that they won't complete it, but eventually, someone else probably will (and if not -- well, look, it's a game you can play at least a version of already.  That's better than many others.)