News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Playtesters wanted: Metroid 3, 4, Zero automap-less hack (SNES/GBA)  (Read 8683 times)

Asaki

• View Profile
Hey guys. A friend and I were talking about the GBA Metroids last night, and I said that I wished someone would've hacked out the automap feature from them, to make them less easy.

Then I realized I could just do it myself. So I did. And I did Metroid 3 while I was at it.

I'd appreciate it if anyone could help me playtest these, as I'm not sure if I'm finished or not. Zero Mission seems fine, except as you can see in the fourth shot, it'll reveal garbage background when you use the map complete powerups. No big deal, really, unless someone more able minded than myself knows a way around it.

Fusion has a few tiles left that I'm not sure if they're map related or not. Other than that, it's working out much better than I thought it would.

Super Metroid has three sets of automap tiles (that I've found): one for during play, one for the fullscreen view, and another near the beginning of the ROM that I'm not sure when it comes up (there's some text tiles near it that say "PLANET ZEBES"). I guess I could just blank them out and leave it at that, but I'd like to see if they come up later or not. Also, there's one tile that I'm not sure about...looks like a sideways elevator shaft. I could've sworn it was used in Maridia somewhere, but I did a quick check and didn't see anything there.

I'll probably do the J ROM of Fusion also (since it has selectable difficulty levels), and probably also release a "lite" version that just erases the white dots that tell you if there's an item hidden in a room or not.

Super Metroid:

Metroid Fusion:

Metroid Zero Mission:

I'm in a hurry, so I just packed them all together:

EDIT: Same URL, updated files (fixed a bunch of tiles I missed in Zero Mission, removed the map scrolling arrows from the other two): http://asaki.webs.com/nomap.rar

Let me know if there's any problems, I'm not sure if my Fusion ROM was clean or not.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2011, 12:07:29 pm by Asaki »

Lunaria

• Meep
    • View Profile
Re: Playtesters wanted: Metroid 3, 4, Zero automap-less hack (SNES/GBA)
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2011, 06:37:22 am »
So, you remove all the tiles used to draw the map, rather then actually making a hack that removes the auto map recording?

Asaki

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2011, 09:47:22 am »
Yep. Doing it the other way is far beyond my abilities.

Lunaria

• Meep
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2011, 02:19:00 pm »
There is already a patch that does that for super metroid made by jathys himself.

It removes map recording by traveling, but still gives you the map data the map station provides. Even more so, by going with this idea it would be better to simply remove the map data if you don't want it then the graphics for it, which can be done rather quickly with the level editor for super metroid.

Of course, I can't say anything about MZM or fusion, as I'm not working with those games.

RyanfaeScotland

• View Profile
    • My Brill Game Site
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2011, 04:16:12 pm »
Cut the guy some slack eh, he's just done a fair bit of work and all you can do is bust his balls haha!

Well Asaki you know there is a bug in the graphics and haven't fixed it so what are you looking for people to find ;) I'm not a metroid fan (never played it) so not that interested in helping sorry.

Keep up the good work though :)

Asaki

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2011, 09:00:52 pm »
It removes map recording by traveling, but still gives you the map data the map station provides.

Yeah, I didn't want the automap to exist at all ;)

Even more so, by going with this idea it would be better to simply remove the map data if you don't want it then the graphics for it, which can be done rather quickly with the level editor for super metroid.

I don't know, I thought this way was pretty easy, only took me about an hour to do all three games. Besides, the GBA games have a bunch of icons that show up on the map throughout the game, showing you exactly where to go next.

Besides...I've already done it all, so these are only "could haves".

Well Asaki you know there is a bug in the graphics and haven't fixed it so what are you looking for people to find ;)

It's easier to ignore than it is to fix =/

I pointed out in three paragraphs what needs to be checked for, I need people to play through and see if any of those tiles show up. I can post screenshots of them when I get home tomorrow if it helps.

April 28, 2011, 08:46:16 am - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
Super Metroid:

Near $006FF10:

Near $00D3010: (five tiles)

Near $01B0010: (one tile)

Metroid Fusion: (three areas)

I'm not sure why posting two entirely different posts is considered a "double post", but okay...
« Last Edit: April 28, 2011, 08:47:08 am by Asaki »

Asaki

• View Profile
Updated!

Edited the first post accordingly, go there for the download link.

Asaki

• View Profile
Well if nobody's interested, I guess I'll just release them as-is =/