News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Final Fantasy VII NES Project (Completed!)  (Read 763727 times)

Bregalad

• View Profile
Re: Final Fantasy VII NES Project
« Reply #1380 on: September 02, 2013, 04:00:17 am »
It's just as easy with an "internal" disk drive, just open the PC, disconnect the drive and connect it to another PC's motherboard...
It's extremely likely both motherboards uses a standard SATA cable. If it's not the case then you're stuck.

Unless you have a laptop where it's really hard to reach the disk drive of course.

Lugia2009

• Yes that was a banana. No one expects the banana
    • View Profile
« Reply #1381 on: September 02, 2013, 07:45:15 am »
The laptop's dead. It doesn't power on at all anymore...

I do have a dropbox account with quite a bit of things saved on it. 
I'm just going to keep the hard drive and the 2gb memory stick to use in a new laptop.

keithisgood

• [DANGER ! ! ! ! ! ! ] [TERROR HORROR]
    • View Profile
    • keithisgood
« Reply #1382 on: September 02, 2013, 10:28:14 am »

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

mrrichard999

• So Goooood! :D
    • View Profile
    • GameFAQS Profile
« Reply #1383 on: September 02, 2013, 11:55:11 am »
Here is a video on how to get that data off. I actually had to do something similar with somebody's laptop that was in a house fire. Had extreme doubts but was actually able to pull all of his music recordings and documents off of it! If you are not familiar with how to do this kind of stuff or dont have access to doing something like this send me a message, maybe we can arrange something since you are not that far away.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X7zsI6IA2wI

September 02, 2013, 12:00:45 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
Here is another solution. SATA to USB.

http://www.ebay.com/bhp/3-5-sata-to-usb
« Last Edit: September 02, 2013, 12:00:45 pm by mrrichard999 »

Nerd42

• View Profile
    • DJ Nerd42
« Reply #1384 on: September 02, 2013, 01:34:21 pm »
If necessary I'm sure somebody here (not me cause I'm broke) wants this game to be finished badly enough that they'd pay for the equipment you need to retrieve your data.

Please make sure to upload your latest patch as soon as you finish recovery just for backup purposes. ;)

jmurjeff

• View Profile
« Reply #1385 on: September 02, 2013, 01:53:16 pm »
The laptop's dead. It doesn't power on at all anymore...

I do have a dropbox account with quite a bit of things saved on it. 
I'm just going to keep the hard drive and the 2gb memory stick to use in a new laptop.

Yeah it sounds like your motherboard needs to be replaced. I have had that happen before and it was not worth it to get it replaced. Depends on how old the laptop is on if it will be worth it. But if you got a new laptop then it probably is the best solution and get your data back.

wyndcrosser

• View Profile
« Reply #1386 on: September 02, 2013, 01:54:12 pm »
If you need assistance with getting the data off, please PM me. I can help you. I have the equipment at work.

Thanks

Bregalad

• View Profile
« Reply #1387 on: September 02, 2013, 04:36:23 pm »
I have had that happen before and it was not worth it to get it replaced. Depends on how old the laptop is on if it will be worth it.
This is the problem with laptops. It's usually not worth to replace parts, they're hard to find and more expensive than parts for desktop PCs. Also it's hard to be 100% sure about compatibility.

My laptop had it's power supply broken (replaced) and now the 'L' key is broken. I'm very hesitant to invest $70 in a new keyboard when I could get a newer PC where I know there won't be another part getting broken in a few weeks. Not to count mounting a PC and selecting parts for it is actually pure fun.

I'm not sure if I will replace my PC soon or if I will replace the keyboard, but in all cases my next PC will be a desktop and I'm saying goodbyte to laptops for a long time... unless you REALLY need to move with 'em.

Spooniest

• Kuru zotsu!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1388 on: September 03, 2013, 08:02:52 pm »
All things come to those who wait.

I'm sure you'll get it back up and running soon enough.
Yamero~~!

Lugia2009

• View Profile
« Reply #1389 on: September 06, 2013, 10:59:21 pm »
Hey everyone, it's been a little bit.  So I thought i'd give an update.

I'm not too worried about retrieving the data, much of my project data is on an sd card..  I'm going to try and get a newer model of my current laptop and just swap out the hard drives.  And if the plugs don't fit, then i'll try the SATA to USB cable.

I did dig out my desktop pc from my closet.  I was suprised to see it actually worked, it's pretty old, I think it's from 2005.  And there's no internet, so I had to use my phone to find a proper driver to let me connect my phone to it. Then I had to use my psp to download and transfer the driver to my pc. 
So I have access to my phone now.   And the latest version of the game is backed up on my dropbox account.  Now I just need to use my Wii to see if i can transfer the project files to my PSP to put on the PC.

So I started working on a few things again such as fixing the Scarlet/Palmer problem. So things are moving along again.

Nerd42

• View Profile
    • DJ Nerd42
« Reply #1390 on: September 06, 2013, 11:07:53 pm »
Could you post your latest patch like you used to just for paranoia backup purposes? :)

Malias

• View Profile
« Reply #1391 on: September 07, 2013, 12:24:47 am »
I did dig out my desktop pc from my closet.  I was suprised to see it actually worked, it's pretty old, I think it's from 2005.  And there's no internet, so I had to use my phone to find a proper driver to let me connect my phone to it. Then I had to use my psp to download and transfer the driver to my pc. 
So I have access to my phone now.   And the latest version of the game is backed up on my dropbox account.  Now I just need to use my Wii to see if i can transfer the project files to my PSP to put on the PC.

Wow.  How much more convoluted can you get?
The great achievement is to lose one's reason for no reason, and to let my lady know that if I can do this without cause, what should I do if there were cause?
     ~Don Quixote~

skyrunner14

• View Profile
« Reply #1392 on: September 07, 2013, 06:00:38 pm »
It always sucks when your computer crashes... I'm glad to hear that everything's working out for you though. I imagine a lot of people's minds are at ease now, ha ha! Keep up the great work.

Asylum

• View Profile
« Reply #1393 on: September 07, 2013, 06:51:13 pm »
Hey everyone, it's been a little bit.  So I thought i'd give an update.

I'm not too worried about retrieving the data, much of my project data is on an sd card..  I'm going to try and get a newer model of my current laptop and just swap out the hard drives.  And if the plugs don't fit, then i'll try the SATA to USB cable.

So I started working on a few things again such as fixing the Scarlet/Palmer problem. So things are moving along again.

...What?

Chpexo

• View Profile
« Reply #1394 on: September 08, 2013, 02:43:41 am »
Perhaps I am a little late telling you this but I think I just learned how to expand the amount of graphic tiles you get to use. The pointers for each map are located before each map's graphics. By adjusting these pointers, you can adjust the location of every map's data. Of course by adjusting this, you have to adjust each for the proceeding maps. This goes for every Nanjing game so it may prove useful in your Pokemon Yellow translation.

Lugia2009

• View Profile
« Reply #1395 on: September 11, 2013, 09:32:51 pm »
I ran into another bump in the road. I had a bit of a scare with the computer when I turned it on and the pc only beeped. Nothing was displaying on the screen.  Part of my desktop PC went.  My brother determined the problem, one of the 256mb memory sticks died.  The computer does run again, but it is sooooo slowwwww now.  It took 5 minutes just for the computer to see that I double clicked on My Computer, and 10 minutes to open up the window.  It's too slow to use now, so I'll need to buy new memory sticks which will take about a week or two.

@Nerd42. Don't worry. I'm still confident that this project will be finished very soon.

@Chpexo

Thanks, I did sit down and make some notes breaking down the game's map data. 

If anyone else would also like to hack one of these games, here's the notes I made.

All maps begin with 2 bytes that set the size of the map, followed by 6 bytes that identify the map.

I'm going to use Junon's map as an example for these notes (Which is located at 0x0dccbe).

Here's the series of bytes for Junon.

02 02 00 00 00 01 00 00 4D EA D2 CC 2D E0 2D CD
ED D0 AD D4 6D D8 2D DC 6D DC AD DC ED DC 7D E7
6D E7 2D DD 00 03 00 00 80 00 80 00 8D E7 00 03
00 00 F0 0F F0 00 ED E7 00 03 00 00 F0 0F F0 00
4D E8 00 03 00 00 F0 0F F0 00 AD E8 00 03 00 00
F0 0F F0 00 0D E9 00 0C 00 00 90 00 C0 00 6D E9
03 01 00 00 40 00 80 00 CD E9 00 0A 00 00 30 01
50 01 ED E9 03 01 00 00 50 00 80 00 CD E9 FF

Here's how they break down:

02 02 -------Map size

00 00 00 01 00 00------Map Identifier

4D EA------Pointer to collision tile settings. (the last 4 digits of the location are EA 5D, so to get the pointer, just switch the 2 bytes and subtract 0x10 from the first one.)

D2 CC------Pointer to the settings for character and NPC sprites for that map.

2D E0------Pointer to the location of the character graphics

2D CD------Pointer to the graphic layout for the 1st screen of the map.

ED D0------Pointer to the graphic layout for the 2nd screen of the map.

AD D4------Pointer to the graphic layout for the 3rd screen of the map.

6D D8------Pointer to the graphic layout for the 4th screen of the map.

2D DC------Pointer to the color settings for the 1st screen of the map.

6D DC------Pointer to the color settings for the 2nd screen of the map.

AD DC------Pointer to the color settings for the 3rd screen of the map.

ED DC------Pointer to the color settings for the 4th screen of the map.

7D E7------Pointer to the pallete colors for the characters

6D E7------Pointer to the pallete colors for the Map

2D DD------Pointer to the graphics for the map

00 03 00 00 80 00 80 00 8D E7------Settings for Character

00 03 00 00 F0 0F F0 00 ED E7------Settings for NPC 1

00 03 00 00 F0 0F F0 00 4D E8------Settings for NPC 2

00 03 00 00 F0 0F F0 00 AD E8------Settings for NPC 3

00 03 00 00 F0 0F F0 00 0D E9------Settings for NPC 4

00 0C 00 00 90 00 C0 00 6D E9------Settings for NPC 5

03 01 00 00 40 00 80 00 CD E9------Settings for NPC 6

00 0A 00 00 30 01 50 01 ED E9------Settings for NPC 7

03 01 00 00 50 00 80 00 CD E9------Settings for NPC 8

FF------End

for the character\NPC settings:

Example: 00 0C 00 00 90 00 C0 00 6D E9

First byte: Unknown

Second byte: which way the character/NPC faces when they appear.

Third byte: sets whether the character is stationary, or moves. And sets how the character moves.

fourth byte: This sets the appearance of the character's sprite.

00: whole sprite is seen.
01: Bottom half of sprite is underneath the map tile.
02: whole sprite is underneath the map tile.

Fifth byte: Sets the appearance of the sprite horizontally

Sixth byte: sets which screen of the map the sprite appears horizontally

Seventh byte: sets the appearance of the sprite vertically

Eigth byte: Sets which screen of the map the sprite appears vertically

*Note: For bytes 5-8, if this is set to F0 0F F0 00, this means that the character needs to be called to appear as part of the game's event. The character still appears normally, just not on an accesible part of the map where they can be seen.

Ninth and Tenth byte: Pointer to the location of the sprite.

*Note: For byte 3 (the movement of the NPC). The movement of the NPC depends on which way they're facing when they appear. If the NPC is facing up or down, then the character will move up or down. Same for if the NPC is facing left or right.

For this byte, both digits in the byte should match.

If the character is set to move, then the amount of steps depends on what the byte is set to. Also when the character moves, the character moves X amount of steps away from it's point of origin.

Example: if the byte is set to 33, and the character is facing left, the character will take 3 steps left, then return back to where it started. Then it will take 3 steps right, then return back to where it started.

If there is an object in the NPCs way, the NPC will change direction and the point of origin will change to the spot where they decided to change direction.

Example: if the byte is set to 33, the NPC is facing left, and there is an object in front of it. The NPC will try to move left, but will be unable to, so it will face up and then proceed to take 3 steps up, then return. Then it will take 3 steps down, then return.

« Last Edit: September 11, 2013, 09:42:17 pm by Lugia2009 »

mrrichard999

• So Goooood! :D
    • View Profile
    • GameFAQS Profile
« Reply #1396 on: September 11, 2013, 11:30:02 pm »
What kinda memory is it, I got a lot of legacy computer parts I was thinking about tossing out!

Chpexo

• View Profile
« Reply #1397 on: September 12, 2013, 12:30:57 am »
The warp and random encounter data are strangely not with the map data, at least with the Zelda Minish Cap bootleg. Did you touch the random encounter data?

Also, I could never find the music data in Nanjing games. Can you share the information you have on it?

For anyone scratching their heads when I mention Nanjing, there is an article about them here.

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1398 on: September 12, 2013, 07:49:56 pm »
I ran into another bump in the road. I had a bit of a scare with the computer when I turned it on and the pc only beeped. Nothing was displaying on the screen.  Part of my desktop PC went.  My brother determined the problem, one of the 256mb memory sticks died.  The computer does run again, but it is sooooo slowwwww now.  It took 5 minutes just for the computer to see that I double clicked on My Computer, and 10 minutes to open up the window.  It's too slow to use now, so I'll need to buy new memory sticks which will take about a week or two.
Reminds me of when the HD in my old 486 was dying. :(
I needed to reinstall Win95 after every boot. Ended up getting a new HD but that was like 1999 so I was forced to save up to upgrade because the install program (Maxtor! :P) refused to run on my already-ancient 486 (that was the same year the Pentium III was released, I think).
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

Nerd42

• View Profile
    • DJ Nerd42
« Reply #1399 on: September 12, 2013, 08:56:50 pm »
You need to make sure you're doing daily online backups, OK? :)