News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Final Fantasy VII NES Project (Completed!)  (Read 754744 times)

Moothead

• View Profile
Re: Final Fantasy VII NES Project
« Reply #1040 on: November 20, 2012, 06:23:00 pm »
Samurai Spirits may work. It uses a different package chip but from what I can tell it seems to have a similar PCB. Only problem is I can't ID the chip used on the cart so that I can compare the pinout to this (http://www.buyicnow.com/fincat.php?cat=192).

Compare it to your post from a few months back with images of the PCB for the actual FF7 cart: http://www.romhacking.net/forum/index.php/topic,12466.msg209021.html#msg209021

Edit: Looking at them together they seem to have quite a number of differences. I think the safest cause of action would be to get a hold of a copy of the FF7.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2012, 06:42:13 pm by Moothead »

InfamousKnight

• View Profile
« Reply #1041 on: November 20, 2012, 10:39:50 pm »
Don't play Samuria Spirits!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EEILvFcZOuo

that guy was totally lost! Read the comments. They crack me up :laugh:

vince94

• View Profile
« Reply #1042 on: November 21, 2012, 02:37:45 am »
I looked at the folder of graphics you sent me. I was happy with all of the redone ones except these, which I either tweaked a bit or redrew.

Yuffie

Aero Combatant

Razor Weed

Mirage

Do you want me to redo the rest of them? Most of the redone ones looked pretty faithful to the original.

Garoth Moulinoski

• Disliking that smoke.
    • View Profile
    • My Stuff including Super Smash Karts.
« Reply #1043 on: November 21, 2012, 08:19:00 am »
There's something about your sprites, vince, that feel like they clash with the boss sprites. Compare:

The boss sprites have more detail than the common enemy sprites. That said, it could just be that the bosses are that much more important.
Who will quote me next?
Disclaimer: If it sounds wrong, I may have been posting while asleep.

vince94

• View Profile
« Reply #1044 on: November 21, 2012, 10:19:10 am »
They're definitely different, but since this is the NES, I only have four predetermined colors and a certain space to work with.
For comparison, this is what they were going to look like before:

Garoth Moulinoski

• Disliking that smoke.
    • View Profile
    • My Stuff including Super Smash Karts.
« Reply #1045 on: November 21, 2012, 10:25:47 am »
I actually like the before ones better... Except Yuffie. At least, her pose is kinda off.

In the end, it'll be Lugia's decision, though. I'm just commenting. (If nothing else, the Aero Combatant in the new sprite set looks derpy and amateurish. It looks like a ninja show off his swords. But in the old set, despite giving the impression of floating in air- or space- there is still something about it that's still off but I can't place my finger on it.)
Who will quote me next?
Disclaimer: If it sounds wrong, I may have been posting while asleep.

vince94

• View Profile
« Reply #1046 on: November 21, 2012, 10:37:30 am »
It does look kinda derpy. I might take the original, give it the whirly sword thing, and just leave it at that.

Zoinkity

• View Profile
« Reply #1047 on: November 21, 2012, 01:34:30 pm »
If it was mere comparison I'd say Yuffie from post #1042 is quite good, but the rest in post #1044 are certainly more detailed.    Actually, she reminds me of a sprite from another game.  Wurm maybe?

The pose was what really sold it though.  The replacement is high-quality, but sometimes a better pose can really sell a sprite.

Lugia2009

• Yes that was a banana. No one expects the banana
    • View Profile
« Reply #1048 on: November 21, 2012, 02:51:46 pm »
I like the more detailed ones better.
Though the pose on the Yuffie you made is better. Maybe you could change that sprite around a bit to give it the level of detail the other one has.

Nerd42

• View Profile
    • DJ Nerd42
« Reply #1049 on: November 21, 2012, 06:27:46 pm »
Never got an answer on this one:
Where would Mythril Mines go in this track ordering?
Trying to figure out where to place The Turks.
I'm guessing right after "On That Day" which goes right after Shinra Tower escape

Actually on second thought, The Turks might make more sense right after Don of the Slums but before Shinra Tower because that's when Aerith gets captured.

InfamousKnight

• View Profile
« Reply #1050 on: November 21, 2012, 07:47:59 pm »
Are you guys saying this game is out of order too? I don't really understand what you're talking about..

Nerd42

• View Profile
    • DJ Nerd42
« Reply #1051 on: November 21, 2012, 09:20:50 pm »
Are you guys saying this game is out of order too? I don't really understand what you're talking about.
I'm working on a music project involving Final Fantasy VII and have been asking questions about the order of events in the game on this thread just because there are people likely to know the answer here

Lugia2009

• View Profile
« Reply #1052 on: November 22, 2012, 05:10:47 pm »
Looking at them together they seem to have quite a number of differences. I think the safest cause of action would be to get a hold of a copy of the FF7.

That's too bad, but unfortunately, I don't think that's an option for me. Every time that game appears on eBay for sale it's far out of my price range.
So I may have to take a chance with these games.

Never got an answer on this one:

I answered it.

I would say the order should go:

Cloud
AVALANCHE
Tifa
Mako Reactor
Aerith
Don of the Slums
Shinra Tower
On That Day 5 Years Ago
------This is where Mythril mine should be--------
Turks
Cait Sith
Red XIII / Cosmo Canyon
Cid
Yuffie
Vincent
Absolute
Birth of a God
Sephiroth

But "Turks" could go in a few different spots. It could go right after Aerith when you are first introduced to the Turks, or it could go after Mythril Mine when you meet the rest of the Turks. It could also go more towards the end, like after "Vincent".

November 22, 2012, 05:38:03 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
This is the most I could figure out about the chips in the games I found:

Naruto:

GLT7256L08-15J3-----------3.3V 32K x 8 Bit CMOS STATIC RAM
0026 BHYFS

MB8464A-10L---------------CMOS 64K-Bit Low Power SRAM
5403 M63

0114 1-1
MT28F01655VG-9A-----------2 MEG x 8 SMART 5 EVEN-SECTORED FLASH MEMORY
(I couldn't find this exact part, the closest match was a part numbered MT28F01655VG-9)

Samurai Spirits 2:

CXK5864CM-10LL------------8,192-word x 8-bit High Speed CMOS Static RAM
441H59YY

481F16M-------------------?????
D5122*

Chip with no #------------?????

King of Fighters R2:

LC3664BML-10--------------64K SRAM
3CU0

TC55328J-25---------------32,768 WORD X 8 BIT CMOS STATIC RAM
9330HBK
« Last Edit: November 22, 2012, 05:38:03 pm by Lugia2009 »

Nerd42

• View Profile
    • DJ Nerd42
« Reply #1053 on: November 22, 2012, 06:52:13 pm »
OK thanks alot. I am aiming for a release date of Jan 31, 2013! :D

keep up the awesome awesome work!!

InfamousKnight

• View Profile
« Reply #1054 on: November 22, 2012, 09:52:01 pm »
OK thanks alot. I am aiming for a release date of Jan 31, 2013! :D

keep up the awesome awesome work!!

I think by then the graphics should be fixed. This isn't only a graphics though. Lugia might make a better ending like really at the crater and some other quest before then. Like the submarine and such. It would be really nice if he placed all the mini games in this project! That was like the most disappointing thing about this pirate. Gold saucer wasn't much of a     gold saucer it was as boring as reading a stupid book. But not anymore! Lugia made the battle square. Just imagine the 8-bit chocobo racing! I'm not really sure if he would make that because making it as fun as the first game is very difficult. Racing games in the old days had a lot of crashing because of the terrible physics in the game..

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1055 on: November 22, 2012, 10:51:12 pm »
It sounds like the Battle Square was able to recreated through additional text script events.
Doesn't sound like Lugia is the mad ASM hacking/coding genius to be able to be able to code an entire additional game engine to support racing, etc. (no offense. :) )
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

InfamousKnight

• View Profile
« Reply #1056 on: November 23, 2012, 07:34:33 pm »
It would be very difficult. Even in some easy language like VB it would be difficult. The thing is, it doesn't matter what language you code in because its the algorithm that matters.

Lugia2009

• View Profile
« Reply #1057 on: November 24, 2012, 08:18:36 pm »
Lugia might make a better ending like really at the crater and some other quest before then. Like the submarine and such. It would be really nice if he placed all the mini games in this project! That was like the most disappointing thing about this pirate. Gold saucer wasn't much of a     gold saucer it was as boring as reading a stupid book. But not anymore! Lugia made the battle square. Just imagine the 8-bit chocobo racing! I'm not really sure if he would make that because making it as fun as the first game is very difficult. Racing games in the old days had a lot of crashing because of the terrible physics in the game..

The ending will change, at least a little. But nothing drastic. But adding in any other things to the Gold Saucer is beyond what I can do.

It sounds like the Battle Square was able to recreated through additional text script events.
Doesn't sound like Lugia is the mad ASM hacking/coding genius to be able to be able to code an entire additional game engine to support racing, etc. (no offense. :) )

None taken :). The battle square event was also created by removing an NPC dialogue event so I could use that pointer (No one will miss it).

Nibelheim on fire is finished:

vivify93

• Submission Reviewer
  • Guardian of Mystery
    • View Profile
« Reply #1058 on: November 25, 2012, 02:42:15 am »
It looks great, but I also kind of liked how much more... destroyed it looked before? Not sure how to phrase it, sorry. Just got up from 16 hours of sleep.
All my life I've tried to fight what history has given me.

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1059 on: November 25, 2012, 10:55:56 am »
I guess what he's saying, you should add more burn marks to some of the buildings. (like on the original, you see a couple of the trees have had the leaves burnt off)
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018