News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Final Fantasy VII NES Project (Completed!)  (Read 755209 times)

Lugia2009

• Yes that was a banana. No one expects the banana
    • View Profile
Re: Final Fantasy VII NES Project
« Reply #940 on: October 19, 2012, 11:21:14 am »
@InfamousKnight

You really have to give these programmers some credit, I mean, who else would even think to remake Final Fantasy VII for the NES, let alone actually going through with the idea.

The game's not even a hack of another game, this was built from scratch. The graphics and some other things may be a bit lacking when compared to the PS1 version, but it's still pretty impressive.

Looking good!
Will there also be the "space room" of Bugenhagen's house in the game?

Thanks :), Midna's right, that's the space room in the upper right.

Nerd42

• View Profile
    • DJ Nerd42
« Reply #941 on: October 19, 2012, 04:02:14 pm »
Being a programmer, you feel a little like a wizard so it's almost kind of understandable.

Zoinkity

• View Profile
« Reply #942 on: October 19, 2012, 05:17:27 pm »
Can't help but be reminded of the programmer rant in Jurassic Park (the book). 

Outside of the completely stolen sprite art, the actual codework is impressive for some of these pirate games.  The pok√©mon NES pirate was another one that was a seriously good game in its own right.

Garoth Moulinoski

• Disliking that smoke.
    • View Profile
    • My Stuff including Super Smash Karts.
« Reply #943 on: October 19, 2012, 05:17:51 pm »
Being a programmer, you feel a little like a wizard so it's almost kind of understandable.

Heh, I suppose so, once everything starts to work the way it should, after spending hours upon hours of it not working and doing strange things. Actually, this is what usually happens, so when I make something work right off the bat, I'm usually surprised and skeptical, being "no, no, wait, there HAS to be something wrong here!" I do usually find a bug or two, usually a lack of error checking and reporting...

...:X Darn it, thread hijack. My bad.

Man, that space room looks mighty small! And... sorta un-space-like. I didn't want to complain about it, because it's not really that important anyway. Just looks more impressive in the PSX version, but well, I guess there's a reason for that ;)
Who will quote me next?
Disclaimer: If it sounds wrong, I may have been posting while asleep.

InfamousKnight

• View Profile
« Reply #944 on: October 19, 2012, 07:06:17 pm »
@InfamousKnight

You really have to give these programmers some credit, I mean, who else would even think to remake Final Fantasy VII for the NES, let alone actually going through with the idea.

The game's not even a hack of another game, this was built from scratch. The graphics and some other things may be a bit lacking when compared to the PS1 version, but it's still pretty impressive.

Thanks :), Midna's right, that's the space room in the upper right.
You're right. The story resembles the game pretty well.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2012, 07:14:35 pm by InfamousKnight »

Terr

• View Profile
« Reply #945 on: October 22, 2012, 12:18:27 am »
I'm not sure if those mistakes was mentioned earlier but...

1SS - After lvl-up (on lvl 8 only) Cloud has 164/163 HP?
2SS - On the bridge to Mako Reactor I won battle but I didn't obtain EXP and Gil.
3-4SS - If there are too many monsters based on similar palette then monster graphics will be crashed. Do you fix it later?
5SS - I just started playing the game and I already got very good stuff (Rain etc.), do you plan systematize item drop and monster encountering rate (I encounter all 65 monster before I fight with Guard Scorpion)?

I agree with you too. I think everyone who help you complete this project should be mentioned in credit or in readme.txt.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2012, 01:15:28 am by Terr »

Lugia2009

• View Profile
« Reply #946 on: October 22, 2012, 10:18:23 am »
1SS - After lvl-up (on lvl 8 only) Cloud has 164/163 HP?

I noticed that too when I was playing. I just didn't get a chance to look at that yet.

2SS - On the bridge to Mako Reactor I won battle but I didn't obtain EXP and Gil.

I don't know why it did that. I have had this happen to me before on this game. It happened when my characters were pretty high in level (Around 65) and I went to an area with very weak enemies (Around Midgar). After beating them, I didn't receive any exp or gil.

Did this happen during any other battles on the bridge?

3-4SS - If there are too many monsters based on similar palette then monster graphics will be crashed. Do you fix it later?

This was mentioned earlier. Unfortunately it's something that I don't know how to fix. Hopefully it will be fixed later on.

5SS - I just started playing the game and I already got very good stuff (Rain etc.), do you plan systematize item drop and monster encountering rate (I encounter all 65 monster before I fight with Guard Scorpion)?

This was also mentioned earlier. For weapons, they are dropped in order based on the most powerful weapon you have for a character. For armor, it seems to be dropped randomly. I really want to fix how armor is dropped. Or make it so armor is never given randomly after battle, only weapons and items. I'm going to try and fix this, but can't make any promises.

And all monsters are set to appear randomly. There is no set area where a monster appears (except bosses). The only thing that changes with the enemies is the difficulty level as you progress through the game. So it's something that I would not be able to change.

I agree with you too. I think everyone who help you complete this project should be mentioned in credit or in readme.txt.

Don't worry, anyone who had any part in the improvement of this game including those from Project:FF7 NES Upgrade, and FF7 NES Chinese Translation and created graphics that were used in this game will be mentioned. I'm going to take all names off of the title screen and try to add credits at the end along with the readme.txt. Or if I can't do that, then I'm going to include it in the readme.txt and also add it in the rom itself so it can be visable with a hex editor.

Terr

• View Profile
« Reply #947 on: October 22, 2012, 03:11:03 pm »

I don't know why it did that. I have had this happen to me before on this game. It happened when my characters were pretty high in level (Around 65) and I went to an area with very weak enemies (Around Midgar). After beating them, I didn't receive any exp or gil.

Did this happen during any other battles on the bridge?

You're right, it depends on character level. Now I got lvl 13 and in the next area (but still before boss fight) when I won battle again I didn't receive any EXP and Gil (earlier I got that 'stuff' normally).

This was also mentioned earlier. For weapons, they are dropped in order based on the most powerful weapon you have for a character. For armor, it seems to be dropped randomly. I really want to fix how armor is dropped. Or make it so armor is never given randomly after battle, only weapons and items. I'm going to try and fix this, but can't make any promises.

OK, I'll keep my fingers crossed for You.

Don't worry, anyone who had any part in the improvement of this game including those from Project:FF7 NES Upgrade, and FF7 NES Chinese Translation and created graphics that were used in this game will be mentioned. I'm going to take all names off of the title screen and try to add credits at the end along with the readme.txt. Or if I can't do that, then I'm going to include it in the readme.txt and also add it in the rom itself so it can be visable with a hex editor.

I'm glad to hear it.

Lugia2009

• View Profile
« Reply #948 on: October 23, 2012, 02:05:16 pm »
One of Cosmo Canyon's houses is done:

And a few more boss sprites are done:

This is a modified version of Sirasu and his group's Rufus and Dark Nation sprites

I made this sprite of Motorball

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #949 on: October 23, 2012, 03:00:00 pm »

Is that a room nobody can ever enter? :D
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

Lugia2009

• View Profile
« Reply #950 on: October 23, 2012, 06:33:48 pm »

:laugh: Oops

I fixed it.

Terr

• View Profile
« Reply #951 on: October 23, 2012, 06:57:19 pm »

:laugh: Oops

I fixed it.

Hehe... Good for both of you ;).

Nightcrawler

• View Profile
    • Nightcrawler's Translation Corporation
« Reply #952 on: October 24, 2012, 08:23:09 am »

That room screams hidden passage to item! Take the original image with the inaccessible room. If you made the larger room slightly taller, you could allow a hidden passage on the left wall, right behind the top wall of the smaller room. You walk along the outside of the wall and around the corner, and enter the smaller room by the rug. Then, hide an item in the drawer. That would be great. Then you could tell KingMike it's not inaccessible with a big wink.  ;)
TransCorp - Over 20 years of community dedication.
Dual Orb 2, Wozz, Emerald Dragon, Tenshi No Uta, Glory of Heracles IV SFC/SNES Translations

Lugia2009

• View Profile
« Reply #953 on: October 25, 2012, 10:41:55 pm »
Sounds like a plan, once I figure out how to create a new item event.

Bottomswell is finished:

InfamousKnight

• View Profile
« Reply #954 on: October 26, 2012, 01:55:44 pm »
Bottomswell looks beautiful now! I think it looks cooler in 8-bit form then the real form!

Lugia2009

• View Profile
« Reply #955 on: October 26, 2012, 02:11:20 pm »
Bottomswell looks beautiful now! I think it looks cooler in 8-bit form then the real form!

The other house in Cosmo Canyon if finished:

InfamousKnight

• View Profile
« Reply #956 on: October 26, 2012, 05:38:22 pm »
This makes me want to hack a pirated game. They're unlicensed so its not illegal. The problem is, they are terribly coded. However, I possibly would have done worse... Especially on my own. Team work projects are always somewhat great.

Zoinkity

• View Profile
« Reply #957 on: October 26, 2012, 06:40:35 pm »
Technically there's implicit copyright, though the chances anyone could successfully afford to sue you from halfway around the world (or much care for that matter) are slim.

It is their own code, after all ;*)

These houses are coming along really well.  Great work!

Dizzy9

• View Profile
« Reply #958 on: October 27, 2012, 10:40:16 am »
I'm sorry for my absence, but I had a fight with two ruffians and....I don't really need to give details, right?
Anyway, I was immobilized for some time and even now I have to wait with coding until doctor removes plaster cast. But I can dissasembly the code a little, so here's few answers.

I noticed that too when I was playing. I just didn't get a chance to look at that yet.
I looked into this a little. It's combination of replenishing HP to full and incorrect stat data. For some reason, LV7 have 164 as max HP while  LV8 have 163!
I GUESS Lugia made mistake when changing stats from orignal chineese game. There you start with lv5, not lv7.

Function at JSR $E6A9(Bank 09) keep an eye on it. I think it's intended to be like this. Some games do this thing to give "Cmon! Beating such weak enemies won't make you grow stronger, fight someone of your size." feeling. Does the same happens in original FF7?

And all monsters are set to appear randomly. There is no set area where a monster appears (except bosses). The only thing that changes with the enemies is the difficulty level as you progress through the game. So it's something that I would not be able to change.
We can hijack function that is responsible for spawning enemies and base their appearances on a look up table.
I can write the code, but someone else have to fill the values-It will take a lot of time to fill it in, so I'm not going to do it.
Filling the table would be easy. Just set a pointer and then fill the areas which you want enemy to appear in.

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #959 on: October 27, 2012, 11:38:59 am »
No, FF7 was not a game that made enemies stop giving any EXP/Gil.
I'm not aware of any FF games doing that.
(though I believe FF8 and FFTA made enemies grow stronger to match you)
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018