News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules

Author Topic: Final Fantasy VII NES Project (Completed!)  (Read 780626 times)

Garoth Moulinoski

• Disliking that smoke.
    • View Profile
    • My Stuff including Super Smash Karts.
Re: Final Fantasy VII NES Project
« Reply #880 on: October 01, 2012, 08:22:00 am »
Man, there's a lot of red/orange in that last screenshot... A bit hard to see the NPC above Cloud.

But it's looking awesome! :D
Who will quote me next?
Disclaimer: If it sounds wrong, I may have been posting while asleep.

alastair

« Reply #881 on: October 01, 2012, 07:02:20 pm »
Looking forward to this! I haven't played the PS1 version so I'm eager to try this when its done.

Like Garoth said, the readability (or clarity) of the characters is quite difficult to discern because every tile has huge contrast in itself — characters and collision objects need the most contrast/focus, whereas things you walk on don't need as much. I'd suggest lowering the contrast of at least the floor tiles, which in some cases could mean just taking out the black and replacing it with a softer colour.

I made a quick mockup to show you how the clarity improves when just getting rid of the black in the floor tile. It's now not so tough to tell apart the walls and characters from the floor!
« Last Edit: October 01, 2012, 08:01:06 pm by alastair »

dACE

• View Profile
« Reply #882 on: October 02, 2012, 02:49:22 am »
Looking forward to this! I haven't played the PS1 version so I'm eager to try this when its done.

Like Garoth said, the readability (or clarity) of the characters is quite difficult to discern because every tile has huge contrast in itself — characters and collision objects need the most contrast/focus, whereas things you walk on don't need as much. I'd suggest lowering the contrast of at least the floor tiles, which in some cases could mean just taking out the black and replacing it with a softer colour.

I made a quick mockup to show you how the clarity improves when just getting rid of the black in the floor tile. It's now not so tough to tell apart the walls and characters from the floor!

I'll have to agree with alastair - but I wouldn't have if he hadn't proven it with a mock-up...

/dACE

Hiei-

• View Profile
« Reply #883 on: October 02, 2012, 08:21:14 am »
Yeah, getting ride of the black in the floor tile definitively give a better result  :thumbsup:

Lugia2009

• Yes that was a banana. No one expects the banana
    • View Profile
« Reply #884 on: October 03, 2012, 08:44:52 am »
Okay, I like it. i'll make the changes.

Terr

• View Profile
« Reply #885 on: October 03, 2012, 09:30:54 am »

Man, there's a lot of red/orange in that last screenshot... A bit hard to see the NPC above Cloud.

But it's looking awesome! :D

Yep, it looks much better than before mockup, but can You change color of the floor for less bright (too much 'orange' and rug is indistinct)? Maybe could You use beige color from original screenshot or try other combinations?

As for enemy graphics are You going change it completely (8-bit pixel monster art demake of FFVII) or do some minor changes?

Really good job Lugia2009!
« Last Edit: October 05, 2012, 01:32:34 pm by Terr »

kasparas014

• View Profile
« Reply #886 on: October 03, 2012, 02:50:19 pm »
wow i didn't check here quite some time , you have made a lot of good work , keep it up :)  :crazy:

Vincent7

• View Profile
« Reply #887 on: October 04, 2012, 09:45:57 am »
I found a bug, in this place i cant move up. Here the save http://upwap.ru/2858813 i used nestopia emulator. Lugia can you fix it please i don't wanna start new game..

detox420

• View Profile
« Reply #888 on: October 04, 2012, 01:44:38 pm »
I worry that this Project is too growing to large for how close too completion it is, I might cry if we receive a C&D from square enix.

Thanatos-Zero

• NES Graphic Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #889 on: October 04, 2012, 02:28:18 pm »
I worry that this Project is too growing to large for how close too completion it is, I might cry if we receive a C&D from square enix.
Then it is time to go underground. To my forum http://rockman-utopia.forums-free.com/

I will create for the project a hidden subforum, if Lugia2009 wishes so.
After Lugia2009 decision, I will rewrite this post asap.

Nerd42

• View Profile
    • DJ Nerd42
« Reply #890 on: October 04, 2012, 02:42:18 pm »
No ... go underground only if we start running into that problem. In the meantime, long as Luigi2009 continues his practice of releasing frequent patches, it's the kind of thing that just can't be stopped.

BTW, we've discussed this before.

Garoth Moulinoski

• Disliking that smoke.
    • View Profile
    • My Stuff including Super Smash Karts.
« Reply #891 on: October 04, 2012, 03:25:21 pm »
Yes, we've already discussed this. It was highly interesting too. :P

But there might be no need to be in a really big panic as long as there's not a lot of word spread out.
Who will quote me next?
Disclaimer: If it sounds wrong, I may have been posting while asleep.

Chpexo

• View Profile
« Reply #892 on: October 04, 2012, 05:41:54 pm »
I found a bug, in this place i cant move up. Here the save http://upwap.ru/2858813 i used nestopia emulator. Lugia can you fix it please i don't wanna start new game..
If you are stuck, at $00BB in the RAM set it to 45.

Lugia2009

• View Profile
« Reply #893 on: October 05, 2012, 09:10:26 am »

I tried using the save with nestopia, and it comes up "Invalid File".

So what area is it? And where at?

But there might be no need to be in a really big panic as long as there's not a lot of word spread out.

I agree, there's really no reason to be concerned.

Vincent7

• View Profile
« Reply #894 on: October 05, 2012, 09:48:25 am »
its in shinra's headquarters. When i go to save aerith. But i forget what floor it is. Here is quick save http://upwap.ru/2860061
« Last Edit: October 05, 2012, 12:11:36 pm by Vincent7 »

Lugia2009

• View Profile
« Reply #895 on: October 05, 2012, 09:28:36 pm »
I'm not sure why it's doing this. I remember the same exact thing happening when I was changing around the doors that required the key cards. But I fixed all of that.

And I tried playing through this area on my version of the game using FCEULTRA and it works fine.

I also noticed that in your key items, you only have the key card for the 61st floor. How did you get to the 66th floor without the rest of the keys?

Vincent7

• View Profile
« Reply #896 on: October 06, 2012, 03:52:35 am »
I just going up the stairs. You said that area works fine at the fceu emulator, but i can't use battery save created by nestopia in the fceu cuz its don't load it, starts new game, nestopia's quick saves don't work at the fceu too. Its possible to convert nestopia saves to fceu?

Redlandsman87

• But you don't know what it is, do you, Mr. Jones?
    • View Profile
« Reply #897 on: October 06, 2012, 04:56:27 am »
Silly question (as I'm very unfamiliar with this project and unfamiliar with the NES game, I haven't played it) but in comparison to the PSX FFVII, what features/areas/story elements were cut from the NES game?

I'm not asking you all to specifically implement it, but would it ever be possible to (within the limits of an 8-bit game) reproduce all of the cut or missing content? I understand that this game is technically an amazing feat as it downgrades the legendary title, but that A LOT was cut and/or is missing when compared to the original. Thus providing players with an incomplete, although very interesting, FFVII experience.

« Last Edit: October 06, 2012, 05:03:16 am by Redlandsman87 »
So I was like oh no you di'ent and decided to write my own text-erasing routine that erases the top thirty-two lines the manly way -- by shoving 4096 zeroes in the games face. The hack worked on the first try. --- Tomato

Vincent7

• View Profile
« Reply #898 on: October 06, 2012, 08:26:54 am »
Lugia, you're right! Its a door bug. Today i loaded battery save in this place, and i can move up! But when i go to the locked door on this 67 floor, i can't move up again. Its cuz i dont have card ain't it? Now i got more bugs, when i go out of shinra's building, 4 soldiers don't attack me and i can't talk them, second, major domino don't give me keycard.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2012, 09:17:10 am by Vincent7 »

Lugia2009

• View Profile
« Reply #899 on: October 06, 2012, 11:23:55 am »
I couldn't get the same bug you found to happen, no matter how many times I tried, but I'm glad you pointed it out. I found some problems with all of the doors. When you go up to the door and get the message "Locked", you can just press up to go through the door, you don't even need a key. So I need to fix that.

Also, it's possible to get to the 68th floor without any of the previous keys at all since there is no key required for the 67th floor, and the NPC on that floor gives you the key to the 68th floor. So I really need to fix that.

And I'll look into the other things you found.

Once I fix all of that and I finish up the map I'm working on now, I'll release a new patch to fix the Shinra Bldg problems. I'll see if I can get it all done by Wednesday or earlier if possible.