News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Final Fantasy VII NES Project (Completed!)  (Read 755836 times)

Lugia2009

• Yes that was a banana. No one expects the banana
    • View Profile
Re: Final Fantasy VII NES Project
« Reply #820 on: September 07, 2012, 10:15:12 pm »
Once I get to around 50 maps left, I'm gonna start working on replacing the enemy sprites in between doing the maps.

Mr. Coates' Trailer is done:

Celice

• View Profile
« Reply #821 on: September 08, 2012, 12:18:45 am »

One of Corel Prison's buildings is done:

This is just my opinion, but the bottom screen isn't a good way to portray a ruined room... it looks more like you've scribbled over some tiles, or that a bank got slightly corrupted. I half-thought the palette was inverted :o If I didn't have an idea of the original PlayStation's room, I couldn't even make out that there were couches in that room :(

There's gotta be a better way to portray the ruined-look... maybe add in a couple broken beams/wall pieces, with debris around them and some scattered about the place?

InfamousKnight

• View Profile
« Reply #822 on: September 08, 2012, 09:13:05 pm »
Once I get to around 50 maps left, I'm gonna start working on replacing the enemy sprites in between doing the maps.

Thanks Lugia! Like thanks for making that plan!

Lugia2009

• View Profile
« Reply #823 on: September 09, 2012, 08:44:28 pm »
@Milksy91

I did change the location of the teleport tiles for Coral Prison, but I found out that the event with Barret and Dyne triggers even though the scene in the destroyed house hasn't happened. And I can't figure out how to change that, so the teleport tiles had to be put back.

This is just my opinion, but the bottom screen isn't a good way to portray a ruined room... it looks more like you've scribbled over some tiles, or that a bank got slightly corrupted. I half-thought the palette was inverted :o If I didn't have an idea of the original PlayStation's room, I couldn't even make out that there were couches in that room :(

There's gotta be a better way to portray the ruined-look... maybe add in a couple broken beams/wall pieces, with debris around them and some scattered about the place?

I think I can change the graphics pointer to point somewhere where I can have some more graphic tiles to work with.

The last section of Coral Prison is finished:

I found out what tells a map how many screens it will consist of and how they are laid out.

The 8 bytes that I thought was the map identifier, It turns out that the first 2 bytes determines the screens of the map. The first byte is for horizontal, and the second one is for vertical. I still don't know what the other 6 bytes are for though. They may still be the map identifier.

InfamousKnight

• View Profile
« Reply #824 on: September 09, 2012, 09:10:15 pm »
Whats up with the bricks on the upper right corner? I don't remember that..

dACE

• View Profile
« Reply #825 on: September 10, 2012, 03:16:54 am »
Whats up with the bricks on the upper right corner? I don't remember that..

Please follow the link Lugia presented before and see for yourself:
http://www.glitterberri.com/final-fantasy-vii/map-analysis/map-analysis-part-2/

/dACE

InfamousKnight

• View Profile
« Reply #826 on: September 10, 2012, 04:18:03 pm »
I see it now. I guess I didn't catch that in the original.

Lugia2009

• View Profile
« Reply #827 on: September 10, 2012, 08:32:17 pm »
@Celice

I couldn't change the graphics pointer, so I changed around what was there. How's this?

Celice

• View Profile
« Reply #828 on: September 11, 2012, 03:32:06 pm »
That's a bit better :) It still feels like the palettes are kinda inverted on the rug and couch--maybe the couch should lose the checkered design? The contrast might be what's bugging me out. The rug just looks like a mess of tiles to me too.

The shading on the tables also seems a bit weird... I think again it's the contrast of colors that makes it seem kinda "out of place." That's all just my opinion, though! I love the work that's being put into this project nonetheless :)

Bregalad

• View Profile
« Reply #829 on: September 11, 2012, 03:56:09 pm »
I agree with Celice - it would need quite a fix on the contrast. Here it looks like garbage like you get when there is a bad connection between the cartridge and the NES console, which happened to me frequently.

Zoinkity

• View Profile
« Reply #830 on: September 11, 2012, 04:40:27 pm »
Honestly, I didn't think that was a rug at first.  Wasn't especially sure what it was, and would be very wary walking over it.  Looked more like damaged wood or fire or anything other than a rug.

Since you're using two tiles for the rug, why not have one 'good' rug one and one with a tear in it?Even though a ruined rug doesn't really look like that, it's more important that you express the idea of a rug and damage

Lugia2009

• View Profile
« Reply #831 on: September 11, 2012, 06:32:16 pm »
I do agree about the rug, but unfortunately, the programmers weren't very generous when it came to giving graphics tiles to this map. So when it came to the rug, I only had 2 graphic tiles left to use. So it was either make a rug that looks like this, or remove the rug altogether.

For the table, I can just make it look the same way as in the unburnt version of the room.

Zoinkity

• View Profile
« Reply #832 on: September 12, 2012, 08:59:48 am »
You know, of all the things in there the only that looks really funky is the rug.  It might make more sense when you're playing, since there's the unburnt version and then later the burnt.

Celice

• View Profile
« Reply #833 on: September 12, 2012, 02:00:04 pm »
Do you mean that the rug has only two tiles altogether, or two for a burned and two for a non-burned? I can try and sketch something out maybe :)

Lugia2009

• View Profile
« Reply #834 on: September 12, 2012, 02:30:53 pm »
Do you mean that the rug has only two tiles altogether, or two for a burned and two for a non-burned?

2 altogether

betakiller

• View Profile
« Reply #835 on: September 14, 2012, 08:27:24 am »
Lugia, could you let me upload a screenshot of your version of the game on Wikipedia Commons? The screenshot will be available under the Creative Commons CC0 1.0 Universal Public Domain Dedication, like here. I will use it in Wikipedia's article about Famicom version of FF7. BTW, your project is not mentioned in this article, I'll make this happen, since I have a reliable source.

Your project will be more well-known.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2012, 09:43:43 am by betakiller »

Garoth Moulinoski

• Disliking that smoke.
    • View Profile
    • My Stuff including Super Smash Karts.
« Reply #836 on: September 14, 2012, 09:55:28 am »

Is that something that is actually preferable right now? Maybe it's best if it doesn't get too much exposure until it's finished and the final version has been left to the wilds of the internet? Just sayin' because of how C&D happy Square-Enix is...
Who will quote me next?
Disclaimer: If it sounds wrong, I may have been posting while asleep.

betakiller

• View Profile
« Reply #837 on: September 14, 2012, 09:59:03 am »
Is that something that is actually preferable right now? Maybe it's best if it doesn't get too much exposure until it's finished and the final version has been left to the wilds of the internet? Just sayin' because of how C&D happy Square-Enix is...

Yep, it's better to wait. I didn't say "right now".

Lugia2009

• View Profile
« Reply #838 on: September 14, 2012, 01:57:49 pm »
Lugia, could you let me upload a screenshot of your version of the game on Wikipedia Commons? The screenshot will be available under the Creative Commons CC0 1.0 Universal Public Domain Dedication, like here. I will use it in Wikipedia's article about Famicom version of FF7. BTW, your project is not mentioned in this article, I'll make this happen, since I have a reliable source.

Yeah, once this project's done you can upload it.

Dizzy9

• View Profile
« Reply #839 on: September 14, 2012, 07:17:24 pm »
Hiiii ;D
Tomorrow is last day of my part job. I gathered some money and can afford(sort of) cointinue my stidues. I also have passed final test with nice score.
So, in other words, I'll have more time in next week.
I have some animations finished. I have trouble with walking and damage animations.I should get it done in next week(but no promises).
While thinking how to fix them, I wrote two other patches you wanted.
One is for preventing a characters from auto heal when level up.
Second is a fix for Phoenix down item. I wrote some code, and now phoenix down revives you with 25% HP.(It can be changed, if you like).
I'll send you both files via private messange.