News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Final Fantasy VII NES Project (Completed!)  (Read 755201 times)

InfamousKnight

• View Profile
Re: Final Fantasy VII NES Project
« Reply #800 on: August 31, 2012, 06:49:40 pm »
Doesn't look like a lot of people made an LP of this game. I only found one person who actually completed the game. He was a bit impatient with the hack but he at least made it to a point where kalm was the last town hacked. Also, he showed the world map. Too bad this game is terribly programmed. Couldn't they just make x and y ranges on the maps where there was no enemies? Like in water? Actually, come to think of it, that would be a pain in the ass to cover all that water with no battles. This game looks overly rushed.

Lugia2009

• Yes that was a banana. No one expects the banana
    • View Profile
« Reply #801 on: September 02, 2012, 10:22:27 am »
Good News! The battle arena is up and running!

You will be challenged by a series of 10 battles. The fights will consist of boss battles fought throughout the game, and some of the fights will force you to change your party members.

And I updated the patch with the new battle arena. Have fun! :)

InfamousKnight

• View Profile
« Reply #802 on: September 02, 2012, 01:45:42 pm »
Good News! The battle arena is up and running!

You will be challenged by a series of 10 battles. The fights will consist of boss battles fought throughout the game, and some of the fights will force you to change your party members.

And I updated the patch with the new battle arena. Have fun! :)

So you will be fighting 10 bosses? How many bosses are in the game? on the other note, great job! Something different other then some graphics/gameplay improvement! I can't wait until this hack is done! You still got a lot to go before this hack is done! Just to let you know, most of the maps after this are interesting because they resemble the first game a little bit. Like in cosmo canyen, they used a desert like the old one. But still the maps were not that great. Then like the forgotten city looks pretty cool but its still pretty bad. Then the gaia cliff looks like some crater since thats the end of the game apparently. I think you're almost done with the maps. Just know that you're more then half way done with the maps.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2012, 01:51:04 pm by InfamousKnight »

Lugia2009

• View Profile
« Reply #803 on: September 02, 2012, 05:28:51 pm »
great job! Something different other then some graphics/gameplay improvement! I can't wait until this hack is done!

Thank you  :)

How many bosses are in the game?

I believe there are a total of 41 boss fights in the game.

Just know that you're more then half way done with the maps.

Right now I think I have around 57 maps left to go.

Eisenwill

• View Profile
« Reply #804 on: September 02, 2012, 05:50:13 pm »
Let me be one of the first to say that I think this may well go down as one of the best hacks of all time, especially if the recent discussion on adding events bears fruit. But even if it proves impossible to add the events of the third disc to the game, simply making the locations look right and rebalancing the stats will take this bootleg from an interesting novelty to a game that will be worthy of the name and story of that which it so shamelessly ripped off.

Keep at it, I'm excited to see the finished product  :thumbsup:

Dizzy9

• View Profile
« Reply #805 on: September 03, 2012, 04:18:14 pm »
Just a small update:
Planned out PPU usage and cut off any tiles that are unnecessary.There should not be any conflicts.
BTW:Whole bank no.8 have this garbage:

Is this used at any point in game? Having a whole bank of empty\unused space would be awesome :laugh:

LostTemplar

• View Profile
    • au-ro-ra.net
« Reply #806 on: September 03, 2012, 04:27:02 pm »
Looks like Chinese characters to me. For an English version you could probably cut most if not all of them.

syntax error

• View Profile
« Reply #807 on: September 04, 2012, 08:10:11 am »
A whole bank could contain several minigames but they also need discardable or unused space in RAM.
C like macros in an assembler could do it because writing some reference code in C is easy, but I used to prefer Z80 for assembly.

Lugia2009

• View Profile
« Reply #808 on: September 04, 2012, 08:29:44 am »
Let me be one of the first to say that I think this may well go down as one of the best hacks of all time, especially if the recent discussion on adding events bears fruit. But even if it proves impossible to add the events of the third disc to the game, simply making the locations look right and rebalancing the stats will take this bootleg from an interesting novelty to a game that will be worthy of the name and story of that which it so shamelessly ripped off.

Keep at it, I'm excited to see the finished product  :thumbsup:

Thanks  :)

BTW:Whole bank no.8 have this garbage:

Is this used at any point in game? Having a whole bank of empty\unused space would be awesome :laugh:

None of that's used for anything. That's the leftover characters from the untranslated version.

September 04, 2012, 08:42:09 am - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
I just remembered, a small portion of that is used.

The magic symbols are used in the menus, and some of the symbols used for the armor types, and the others are the Fight, Magic, Item, and Run commands used in the battle menu.

But they could probably just be moved somewhere else.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2012, 08:43:26 am by Lugia2009 »

syntax error

• View Profile
« Reply #809 on: September 04, 2012, 02:59:03 pm »
Hiii Lugia did you test the game if it looks right and the font readable on a CRT TV?

Lugia2009

• View Profile
« Reply #810 on: September 04, 2012, 08:10:43 pm »
Hiii Lugia did you test the game if it looks right and the font readable on a CRT TV?

I didn't test it. At the time, I didn't have a CRT TV to test it on.

I did just recently get one, but also I sold my Nintendo WII. I did have a cable to connect my psp to a tv using av cables, but I can't find it anywhere.

So, now I have no way of testing it anymore. But I don't think people would have trouble reading the font on that kind of TV.

Coral Prison is finished:

Miksy91

• View Profile
« Reply #811 on: September 05, 2012, 02:34:12 am »
Looks really good once again! I don't remember that kind of tall building being in the original game but it wasn't enterable right?
Also, shouldn't you get to the town from north instead of west/east like currently you do?
« Last Edit: September 05, 2012, 04:25:24 pm by Miksy91 »
Pokemon Dark Energy is a rom hack based on Pokemon Silver. Like most pokemon hacks, it retains the pokemon stylish gameplay but has plenty of elements from other RPGs as well. You'd better check it out!

verifiaman

• View Profile
« Reply #812 on: September 05, 2012, 02:16:32 pm »
first off thanks again for letting me use the tilesets. second how many areas out of a specific total are left? third, are there ANY woodsy areas in the original? fourth: do you have a template or something you use to make these?

Lugia2009

• View Profile
« Reply #813 on: September 05, 2012, 04:44:19 pm »
I don't remember that kind of tall building being in the original game but it wasn't enterable right?

It wasn't enterable, but it was there.

Also, shouldn't you get to the town from north instead of west/east like currently you do?

I forgot you get to Dyne's place by entering the desert from the north. It's been a while since I played this game.
I can move the teleport tiles.

first off thanks again for letting me use the tilesets.

No problem.

second how many areas out of a specific total are left?

I believe there are a total of 168 maps.
So right now 112/168 maps are completed

hird, are there ANY woodsy areas in the original?

Off the top of my head, I can only think of the Ancient Forest and the Sleeping Forest.

fourth: do you have a template or something you use to make these?

Yep, I downloaded all of the pre-renders of the game.

They can be found here:http://www.glitterberri.com/final-fantasy-vii/map-analysis/map-analysis-part-1/

Bregalad

• View Profile
« Reply #814 on: September 05, 2012, 05:39:26 pm »
@Lugia2009 : Honestly, I must say you impress me very much ! You turned this total piece of crap into something that is somewhat decent, when anyone else would have thought this impossible ! You are really amazing, your graphics are really great !

It's a shame that the sound is still bad, but I guess that isn't the highest priority at the moment. Since this game's sound engine seems to only allow 50% squarewaves without enveloppes and with an annoying vibrato on them (hem... hem.... Zelda II hem hem...) a completely different sound engine should probably be used. The best would be to use Namco's or Konami's mapper with sound chips, but it's probably not possible.

Dizzy9

• View Profile
« Reply #815 on: September 06, 2012, 11:02:05 am »
It's a shame that the sound is still bad, but I guess that isn't the highest priority at the moment. Since this game's sound engine seems to only allow 50% squarewaves without enveloppes and with an annoying vibrato on them (hem... hem.... Zelda II hem hem...) a completely different sound engine should probably be used.
Right...I was successful in replacing game sound engine in some games (Fantastic Adventures Of Dizzy, Super Robin Hood and Go! Dizzy Go! for example). I used the Famitracker Engine. Yes, the mentioned games are Codemaster games only, but I think I might be able to do that. But if someone can do it, I won't complain :)
Using Famitracker engine have it's major adventage: It's easier to compose music with it.
The best would be to use Namco's or Konami's mapper with sound chips, but it's probably not possible.
Would be nice, but not really possible. VRC6 and MMC5 uses CHR ROM only(FF7 uses CHR RAM).
VRC7,Namco 106 and Sunsoft FME-7 can't swap $E000-$FFFF(FF7 swap whole 32kb of PRG ROM).
FDS have 8kb of BIOS in $E000-$FFFF.
Not to mention that none of above mappers can have enough amount of PRG ROM.Some space is unused, there is a lot of it in fact, but it would require a lot of hacking to wipe it out and make smaller ROM.
So our best option is just a new engine that supports a lot more effects and skilled musican.

Bregalad

• View Profile
« Reply #816 on: September 06, 2012, 12:08:35 pm »
You are right, and also VRC6 can't swap PRG ROMs at $e000-$ffff either.
I have no knownledge how the mapper FF7-pirate uses works, but if it swaps entiere 32k banks, it would be very possible to hack the game to use CHR ROM instead of CHR-RAM, and make it use MMC5.
It's also possible and rather simple to store something else than tiles in CHR-ROM and read them back.

Also the MMC5 is the official mapper which supports the largest banks officially : 1MB PRG-ROM and 1MB CHR-ROM.

Of course all of this would be a lot of hacks, but in the end the 2 extra sound channels and the possible graphics enhancements could be amazing.

As a bonus, if the game doesn't exceed 512k PRG and 512k CHR it could run on the PowerPak, which would be great.

The only reason which retains myself from really contributing is the fact Square Enix could send a ceasing order letter anytime, making all the work trashed. I'm just afraid to take the risk.

Lugia2009

• View Profile
« Reply #817 on: September 06, 2012, 12:10:34 pm »
@Lugia2009 : Honestly, I must say you impress me very much ! You turned this total piece of crap into something that is somewhat decent, when anyone else would have thought this impossible ! You are really amazing, your graphics are really great !

Thanks  :)

It's a shame that the sound is still bad, but I guess that isn't the highest priority at the moment. Since this game's sound engine seems to only allow 50% squarewaves without enveloppes and with an annoying vibrato on them (hem... hem.... Zelda II hem hem...) a completely different sound engine should probably be used. The best would be to use Namco's or Konami's mapper with sound chips, but it's probably not possible.

It is a shame that the company didn't develop a better engine for their games.
My main priority was jamming in as much music in this game as possible, which wasn't easy for a game that was only meant to have 7 songs in it. And the soundtrack for FF7 was pretty large. But in the end I was able to fit in over 30 songs.

And with the sound engine I was given, my objective was to make music that was shortened and still recognizable, but not remarkable.

So, it is what it is, and I'm pretty satisfied with the end result.

So our best option is just a new engine that supports a lot more effects and skilled musican.

That would be great, if I have a better sound engine to work with and more space for the songs, then I'm sure I can compose something that better resembles the original version of the game.

September 06, 2012, 02:25:34 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
One of Corel Prison's buildings is done:

« Last Edit: September 06, 2012, 02:25:34 pm by Lugia2009 »

InfamousKnight

• View Profile
« Reply #818 on: September 06, 2012, 06:43:51 pm »
Could you guys figure out how to add more enemies to replace those totally out place enemies? Those enemies really threw me off.

Eisenwill

• View Profile
« Reply #819 on: September 06, 2012, 08:32:46 pm »
Could you guys figure out how to add more enemies to replace those totally out place enemies? Those enemies really threw me off.
From what I understand, changing the enemies (to ones more fitting) is next on the list after the maps are finished. Give it time.