News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Final Fantasy VII NES Project (Completed!)  (Read 763096 times)

SageOwl

• View Profile
Re: Final Fantasy VII NES Project
« Reply #660 on: July 17, 2012, 08:03:50 pm »
They could still take it down if they wanted to. Whether they choose to or not depends on them. If there have been other projects to recreate Final Fantasy VII and they haven't been shut down, it might be safe. I know that most people would rather play the shinier, PC one, but their legal department could still think differently. Hopefully, they don't go after you.

Edit: I hope I'm not coming off as a fear-monger... :(
If this rom included the parts missing from the game that I addressed earlier then I'd prefer it over the original Playstation version, let alone some half-assed "HD" enhancement.

Spooniest

• Kuru zotsu!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #661 on: July 17, 2012, 08:16:42 pm »
I really don't think they would go after such a simple project. From the way they make their games lately, it seems like they've forgotten that 8-bit games even existed.

SQUARE-ENIX: "NES games? Who plays (YECCHH) NES games?" (nose pointed up in the air)
Yamero~~!

Garoth Moulinoski

• Disliking that smoke.
    • View Profile
    • My Stuff including Super Smash Karts.
« Reply #662 on: July 17, 2012, 10:10:03 pm »
I really don't think they would go after such a simple project. From the way they make their games lately, it seems like they've forgotten that 8-bit games even existed.

SQUARE-ENIX: "NES games? Who plays (YECCHH) NES games?" (nose pointed up in the air)

Final Fantasy on Wii's Virtual Console might like a word with you... Granted, it's just one out a few games they could put up... Oh, there's the Dragon Quest Wii Collection, which has the first three games in both NES and SNES versions on a disc.

If this rom included the parts missing from the game that I addressed earlier then I'd prefer it over the original Playstation version, let alone some half-assed "HD" enhancement.

Well, if it did, it could be in even greater danger, specially when you, yourself, say you'd skip the original work in favor of the homage/parody.

BTW, here you go. I owed y'all a link, so here it is. And here. Honestly, it's all in legal mumbo jumbo. I know it's this site, though, if you can find the exact pinpoint location of the wording.

You could literally get away with it, though, if you claim that this is an educational project, with intent of understanding the inner workings of a piece of code, using the black box* method (meaning, you are not giving the clean code, or any code at all and have to infer its functionality).

*Given that you do have limited access to code, it'd probably be more like Gray Box or something; but then again, this code isn't even Square-Soft's, it's the Chinese pirates' (most likely black box written) code

I think I find this more interesting than I should... ._.
Who will quote me next?
Disclaimer: If it sounds wrong, I may have been posting while asleep.

Hiei-

• View Profile
« Reply #663 on: July 18, 2012, 05:50:59 am »
Albeit they did c&d Crimson Echoes and that was just a fan made game; although given the principles for that action this would have to be an original sequel to the original for them to have grounds. Fortunately they gave them the middle finger with Flames of Eternity.
Square can just concentrate on another FFXIV disappointment rather than giving genuine work a hard time.

Any idea when the next progressive patch will come out? Wouldn't mind seeing some of these newer changes in real-time gameplay.

But Square-Enix was planning a DS remake of Chrono Trigger. The "FF7" PC version which is planned is not a remake at all, it's just a new release with cloud support.

Garoth Moulinoski

• Disliking that smoke.
    • View Profile
« Reply #664 on: July 18, 2012, 08:32:08 am »
But Square-Enix was planning a DS remake of Chrono Trigger. The "FF7" PC version which is planned is not a remake at all, it's just a new release with cloud support.

It's still a release and it's still their property... I mean, is what you're saying "Because Chrono Trigger DS was a remake, they C&D'd Crimson Echoes; but Final Fantasy VII Steam is a re-release, so they won't be going out hunting people"? They can. As long as they hold the rights to their property, they can. Not saying this particular project might be C&D'd (I'm not really sure where it stands, but I, personally, don't think it can stand a chance, but hey, I'm not a big law brain), and it would most likely give them bad PR (like when they shut down Crimson Echoes), but they do have to protect their properties. :/
Who will quote me next?

Eisenwill

• View Profile
« Reply #665 on: July 18, 2012, 07:17:37 pm »
I think the biggest problem with Crimson Echoes is that it had way too much promotion, both from outside sources and from the group of hackers working on it. I think this hack will be fairly safe unless it suddenly gets a ton of press, which won't likely happen until it is much closer to completion, if at all. And if its already done when the press on it hits a fever pitch, there's nothing Squenix can do at that point-the hack would be free across the realms of the internets, impossible to stop (unless some stupid law like SOPA gets passed...)

But enough about that. Unless such a situation materializes, we have nothing to worry about.

Lugia2009

• Yes that was a banana. No one expects the banana
    • View Profile
« Reply #666 on: July 18, 2012, 07:56:48 pm »
But enough about that. Unless such a situation materializes, we have nothing to worry about.

Yes, it's best not to worry too much.

I'm attempting to make a variant of the one Chpexo used. I'll show you how it turns out and if it's worth using.

Okay, let me know how it turns out.

The Inn and Armor shop are done:

Mirby

• The Power's in the Pins
    • View Profile
    • Mirby Studios
« Reply #667 on: July 19, 2012, 02:55:53 am »
It's still a release and it's still their property... I mean, is what you're saying "Because Chrono Trigger DS was a remake, they C&D'd Crimson Echoes; but Final Fantasy VII Steam is a re-release, so they won't be going out hunting people"? They can. As long as they hold the rights to their property, they can. Not saying this particular project might be C&D'd (I'm not really sure where it stands, but I, personally, don't think it can stand a chance, but hey, I'm not a big law brain), and it would most likely give them bad PR (like when they shut down Crimson Echoes), but they do have to protect their properties. :/
I don't think they care. Also hi Garoth long time no see.

Also I was playing some of this on a recent train ride. The music could use a little work, honestly, but everything else is very well done. Nice work translatin' and the other stuff you've done too, Lugia2009.

Hiei-

• View Profile
« Reply #668 on: July 19, 2012, 07:10:37 am »

I didn't say they can't, but they probably don't even know about this project, and once it's released, it'll be too late to c&D it :) [we saw it with UltraHLE, one site closed, ten new sites distributed it, etc...)

Garoth Moulinoski

• Disliking that smoke.
    • View Profile
« Reply #669 on: July 19, 2012, 09:18:38 am »
Also hi Garoth long time no see.

*That awkward moment where someone appears to know you but you have NO clue who they are...* Um, hi?
Who will quote me next?

InfamousKnight

• View Profile
« Reply #670 on: July 19, 2012, 02:40:17 pm »
I use Lunar IPS to patch the roms if you didn't already know. If you know any bugs in that program, tell me. Because I was playing this game on my ps2 and there was some pretty bad bugs in the game. Like at the train, I would do something wrong, then the game would give me some head ache with nonstop stairs on somewhere I'm not even supposed to go.. Then the game wouldn't let me go back to my real destination. Would it be because of Lunar IPS?

Garoth Moulinoski

• Disliking that smoke.
    • View Profile
« Reply #671 on: July 19, 2012, 04:36:58 pm »
I use Lunar IPS to patch the roms if you didn't already know. If you know any bugs in that program, tell me. Because I was playing this game on my ps2 and there was some pretty bad bugs in the game. Like at the train, I would do something wrong, then the game would give me some head ache with nonstop stairs on somewhere I'm not even supposed to go.. Then the game wouldn't let me go back to my real destination. Would it be because of Lunar IPS?

More than likely, it was because your rom may not have been clean to begin with. Try patching it again with another version of the rom.
Who will quote me next?

Nerd42

• View Profile
    • DJ Nerd42
« Reply #672 on: July 20, 2012, 12:11:16 am »
What does "they have to protect their property" even mean anyway?

No patents are at stake here.

Making copyright claims on the original Final Fantasy VII is not affected by separate fan projects.

The only issue might be trademark, not copyright or patent. Trademarks can become generic if not enforced, but fan projects are rarely threatened over trademark, normally it's copyright and they have no legal obligation to bother threatening a non-commercial fan project on that. They do it cause they're bastards and/or tyrants and that's the only reason.

Spooniest

• Kuru zotsu!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #673 on: July 20, 2012, 01:11:06 am »
The Shin-Ra Electric Power Company would make a great name for a band.
Yamero~~!

Garoth Moulinoski

• Disliking that smoke.
    • View Profile
« Reply #674 on: July 20, 2012, 08:28:08 am »
What does "they have to protect their property" even mean anyway?

No patents are at stake here.

Making copyright claims on the original Final Fantasy VII is not affected by separate fan projects.

The only issue might be trademark, not copyright or patent. Trademarks can become generic if not enforced, but fan projects are rarely threatened over trademark, normally it's copyright and they have no legal obligation to bother threatening a non-commercial fan project on that. They do it cause they're bastards and/or tyrants and that's the only reason.

There's some BS excuses they can make, but it can boil down to "People won't buy our product because they're playing fan remakes/versions" (which is more whiney than protective). And like I mentioned before, shutting fan projects based their properties = bad PR, so being too strict can cause people to say things like what you said.

I'm not defending Square-Enix or anything, I'm just interpreting the Fair Use and Copyright laws. :S I am interested in this particular project (you can see that I posts littered through its pages, all in support)
Who will quote me next?

Thanatos-Zero

• NES Graphic Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #675 on: July 20, 2012, 09:24:03 am »
Random news:
Coatlesscarl made another Final Fantasy 7 soundtrack with Famitracker. It would still so nice to have VRC6 options for this game to hear his 8-bit covers there.
Final Fantasy VII - 8-bit Opening - Bombing Mission

Mirby

• The Power's in the Pins
    • View Profile
    • Mirby Studios
« Reply #676 on: July 20, 2012, 03:35:58 pm »
*That awkward moment where someone appears to know you but you have NO clue who they are...* Um, hi?
ZFGC, think you made Super Smash Karts or somethin' :P

Anyways I'm closely following progress on this; look forward to more updates :3

Garoth Moulinoski

• Disliking that smoke.
    • View Profile
« Reply #677 on: July 20, 2012, 03:41:27 pm »
ZFGC, think you made Super Smash Karts or somethin' :P

Anyways I'm closely following progress on this; look forward to more updates :3

Why, yes! I did use to go to ZFGC quite often and I did do Super Smash Karts. I have to apologize that I don't really recognize you, but then again, my memory's not that great, specially nowadays. Sorry about that!
Who will quote me next?

Lugia2009

• Yes that was a banana. No one expects the banana
    • View Profile
« Reply #678 on: July 20, 2012, 07:45:00 pm »
Also I was playing some of this on a recent train ride. The music could use a little work, honestly, but everything else is very well done. Nice work translatin' and the other stuff you've done too, Lugia2009.

Thank you  :), but it was Lindblum that did the translation from the Chinese version.

Random news:
Coatlesscarl made another Final Fantasy 7 soundtrack with Famitracker. It would still so nice to have VRC6 options for this game to hear his 8-bit covers there.
Final Fantasy VII - 8-bit Opening - Bombing Mission

Coatlesscarl definitely knows how to work wonders using Famitracker. It would be nice to have VRC6, but the music is much better now then it was before. So, can't complain too much.

Mt. Coral is finished:

Mt. Coral was not present in the original version of this game. This map I used is one of the unused maps from an earlier part of the game.

Garoth Moulinoski

• Disliking that smoke.
    • View Profile
« Reply #679 on: July 20, 2012, 07:54:50 pm »
Sheesh, that's pretty awesome! Good job! And it's nice to see that all the legal babbling hasn't deterred you from continuing!
Who will quote me next?