News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Final Fantasy VII NES Project (Completed!)  (Read 755219 times)

Lugia2009

• Yes that was a banana. No one expects the banana
    • View Profile
Re: Final Fantasy VII NES Project
« Reply #640 on: July 13, 2012, 11:55:00 am »
Well, it's almost the same game but...

*Some character models look nicer
*It has 3D(!!!), so you can see the depth in the game. It genuinely feels like you're traversing vast fields.
*It's two games in one... If you count Master Quest being a separate game. Even then, Master Quest is mirrored and enemies deal more damage (supposedly).
*Water Temple has some pretty lights that tell you where the water controls' rooms can be. It doesn't make it any harder.

This Mirrored Master Quest and the 3D were my favorite parts... y'know... If you wanted to know...

So this is something I would definitely buy.

SargeSmash

• View Profile
« Reply #641 on: July 13, 2012, 03:54:43 pm »
You know dumb people will waste 50-60 dollars on that piece of trash just like how people wasted 50-60 dollars on that 3D release of Ocarina of Time. With enough advertising they could rake in a butt load of cash around the world.
$50-$60?  Do you live in Canada or something?

It should also be noted that the game looks significantly better than the N64 incarnation.  It's like night and day.  I don't remember enjoying the original iteration quite that much, but I enjoyed the heck out of the remake.  The fluidity makes a huge difference, not to mention having a decent analog stick / pad.

Really, it wasn't just a quick cash-grab.  A cash-grab, probably, but there was actually quite a bit of effort put into the port.  If only Square Enix put the same effort into the FFVII port.  What they're doing with that is the very definition of lazy.
For what shall it profit a man, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?  -- Mark 8:36

Nerd42

• View Profile
    • DJ Nerd42
« Reply #642 on: July 14, 2012, 01:37:25 am »
LOL it wasn't N64, it was PS1.

is there an 8bit version of the Costa Del Sol music in this thing? needs one :)

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #643 on: July 14, 2012, 01:45:23 am »
LOL it wasn't N64, it was PS1.

I'm fairly certain there was not a PS1 version of Ocarina of Time. :D
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

Nerd42

• View Profile
    • DJ Nerd42
« Reply #644 on: July 14, 2012, 10:01:32 am »
I'm fairly certain there was not a PS1 version of Ocarina of Time. :D
Whoops, I read that post out of context and thought we were still talking about FF7. Didn't realize how ridiculously far off topic we were getting.  :angel:

Lugia2009

• View Profile
« Reply #645 on: July 15, 2012, 05:21:53 pm »
s there an 8bit version of the Costa Del Sol music in this thing? needs one :)

Yes, I made the music for Costa Del Sol. But I did have to shorten it though.

Costa Del Sol Magic Shop is done:

Yuffie even has her own line she says apart from what normal magic shop owners say.
Thanks for making the mugshot Chpexo. :)

vivify93

• Submission Reviewer
  • Guardian of Mystery
    • View Profile
« Reply #646 on: July 15, 2012, 05:56:29 pm »
That font doesn't look very good. At all.
All my life I've tried to fight what history has given me.

Hiei-

• View Profile
« Reply #647 on: July 15, 2012, 06:27:59 pm »

That one was better in my opinion (easier to read).

vivify93

• Submission Reviewer
  • Guardian of Mystery
    • View Profile
« Reply #648 on: July 15, 2012, 06:32:31 pm »
I'm attempting to make a variant of the one Chpexo used. I'll show you how it turns out and if it's worth using.

EDIT:
[snip]

I still think the "classic NES FF" font was better. Mine is more aesthetically pleasing but still hard to read.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2012, 01:29:47 am by vivify93 »
All my life I've tried to fight what history has given me.

Nerd42

• View Profile
    • DJ Nerd42
« Reply #649 on: July 15, 2012, 11:05:08 pm »
There's a set number of characters right? Should be easy to make a patch of the patch for people who like different fonts shouldn't it?

July 15, 2012, 11:05:50 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
using their characters & story should be protected by fan-work laws
What country has fan-work laws!?

Japan has a dōjinshi fan comics industry without laws protecting it simply on the grounds that Japan doesn't need more lawyers.

Vanya

• View Profile
« Reply #650 on: July 16, 2012, 10:56:04 am »
The US includes certain protections for "fan-works" within it's copyright laws. There is at least one court case that set precedent for a fan remake of an old computer game being protected so long as the fan-work did not include the copyright holder's code and was not sold for profit. Eventually the copyright holders worked with the creator of the fan game and put it out as an official remake.

BRPXQZME

• じー
    • View Profile
    • The BRPXQZME Network
« Reply #651 on: July 16, 2012, 11:08:56 am »
That sounds so unlike everything I’ve ever read about the legal status of fan works I’m going to have to ask for further reference.
we are in a horrible and deadly danger

Vanya

• View Profile
« Reply #652 on: July 16, 2012, 11:12:10 am »
I'll look for it when I get off work.

Nerd42

• View Profile
    • DJ Nerd42
« Reply #653 on: July 16, 2012, 12:21:06 pm »
Yeah that's umm, not the United States.

Tsukiyomaru0

• I have no regrets!
    • View Profile
« Reply #654 on: July 16, 2012, 03:00:26 pm »
I wonder something... How would Square-Enix react to this project?

Garoth Moulinoski

• Disliking that smoke.
    • View Profile
    • My Stuff including Super Smash Karts.
« Reply #655 on: July 16, 2012, 04:24:25 pm »
Supposedly, somewhere in the copyright law (if I were still in my Ethics for Computer Science I'd have the link somewhere), there is something that says that if you use copyright protected material, it's okay if

*you use only small pieces of it, and your work can be considered fully independent of it and is used as homage/parody
*the same as above, but as long as it's for education

And the line gets fuzzy when your work can give you profit. Most likely, if you make money off of it, you would have to pay some royalty or ask for some permission, because now you're making money off of it.

You WILL be in legal trouble if:

*You used pieces of another work and your work is almost indistinguishable from the original
*Your work can compete against the original (so, say the original piece was a comedy and you make a comedy based off it, if you end up covering the same grounds as the original, or outright copy it to the point where it's stealing, you are in legal trouble).

This hack, would probably fall under the latter, since it's an attempt to create a version of Final Fantasy VII for the NES, with characters, themes, and quotes from the original. Then again, the rom that it itself is based off is already grounds for legal dispute.

I'd link you, but you could just look for homage/parody copyright law (I'm at work, see... procrastinating!). Anyhow, I had to write about this for the above mentioned class.
Who will quote me next?
Disclaimer: If it sounds wrong, I may have been posting while asleep.

Lugia2009

• View Profile
« Reply #656 on: July 16, 2012, 08:20:24 pm »
This hack, would probably fall under the latter, since it's an attempt to create a version of Final Fantasy VII for the NES, with characters, themes, and quotes from the original. Then again, the rom that it itself is based off is already grounds for legal dispute.

But this isn't the only project to recreate FF7. There are many RPG maker projects not to mention the FF7FC project and the projects that are direct modifications of the PC version. I've never heard about Square Enix shutting down any of them.

Personally, I don't believe that Square Enix really cares about projects like these as long as they don't out do a product Square Enix has made. Like if this project was aimed at remaking FF7 with PS2 quality graphics or better, then I would believe that it would have already been shut down. I think that is why Chrono Resurrection was shut down. Plus that project would have threatened the profits the company made off of the DS remake of Chrono Trigger.

This project in no way threatens the company's profits.

I think they would just view this as another fan project.

Costa Del Sol Weapon Shop is done:

SageOwl

• View Profile
« Reply #657 on: July 17, 2012, 10:05:27 am »
Albeit they did c&d Crimson Echoes and that was just a fan made game; although given the principles for that action this would have to be an original sequel to the original for them to have grounds. Fortunately they gave them the middle finger with Flames of Eternity.
Square can just concentrate on another FFXIV disappointment rather than giving genuine work a hard time.

Any idea when the next progressive patch will come out? Wouldn't mind seeing some of these newer changes in real-time gameplay.

DarknessSavior

• Darkness.
    • View Profile
    • DS: No, not the Nintendo one.
« Reply #658 on: July 17, 2012, 10:20:57 am »
I would just make sure this doesn't get a ton of publicity around the time that the new FFVII PC version comes out. Or you may get a C&D. I feel like that's what happened to Crimson Echoes. It was really popular and coming out around the time CT DS was. So they took it out.

~DS
Red Comet: :'( Poor DS. Nobody loves him like RC does. :'(
Sliver-X: LET ME INFRINGE UPON IT WITH MY MOUTH
DSRH - Currently working on: Demon's Blazon, Romancing SaGa, FFIV EasyType.
http://www.youtube.com/user/DarknessSavior

Garoth Moulinoski

• Disliking that smoke.
    • View Profile
    • My Stuff including Super Smash Karts.
« Reply #659 on: July 17, 2012, 11:17:19 am »
But this isn't the only project to recreate FF7. There are many RPG maker projects not to mention the FF7FC project and the projects that are direct modifications of the PC version. I've never heard about Square Enix shutting down any of them.

Personally, I don't believe that Square Enix really cares about projects like these as long as they don't out do a product Square Enix has made. Like if this project was aimed at remaking FF7 with PS2 quality graphics or better, then I would believe that it would have already been shut down. I think that is why Chrono Resurrection was shut down. Plus that project would have threatened the profits the company made off of the DS remake of Chrono Trigger.

This project in no way threatens the company's profits.

I think they would just view this as another fan project.

They could still take it down if they wanted to. Whether they choose to or not depends on them. If there have been other projects to recreate Final Fantasy VII and they haven't been shut down, it might be safe. I know that most people would rather play the shinier, PC one, but their legal department could still think differently. Hopefully, they don't go after you.

Edit: I hope I'm not coming off as a fear-monger... :(
Who will quote me next?
Disclaimer: If it sounds wrong, I may have been posting while asleep.