News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Final Fantasy VII NES Project (Completed!)  (Read 755834 times)

Nightcrawler

• View Profile
    • Nightcrawler's Translation Corporation
Re: Final Fantasy VII NES Project
« Reply #600 on: June 22, 2012, 01:55:40 pm »
That is awesome. I did not know about that cart. I did some looking. Some of the WIP videos are pretty impressive. It doesn't seem the guy has a webpage though. There is a topic on nesdev about this. I guess any major developments will be put there. It seems like it's pretty far along and a number of advantages over the Powerpak. I will keep an eye on this project. :)
TransCorp - Over 20 years of community dedication.
Dual Orb 2, Wozz, Emerald Dragon, Tenshi No Uta, Glory of Heracles IV SFC/SNES Translations

segertar

• View Profile
« Reply #601 on: June 25, 2012, 02:18:18 am »
Everything is looking fantastic!

Keep up the great work!

InfamousKnight

• View Profile
« Reply #602 on: June 28, 2012, 12:17:47 am »
Could you guys possibly make side-quests in the game. Most of the side-quests are in disc 1 in the original and the FFVII pirate only goes to the materia tree and then ends with the so-called "Final Battle". You would have to edit the Shinra Mansion where Vincent is and if you can find a way to make Wutai on the map. Don't worry about finding Yuffie in the forest. Thats just too much to ask.

So would you possibly do it? Its hard to say if its possible or not because of the low memory you have. Why do you think theres 3 disc in the psx version? Well, its because of their memory space. I have some experience in C/C++ but not enough to make a psx game.
I also have some experience in 16-bit assembly for 32-bit windows OSes

syntax error

• View Profile
« Reply #603 on: June 28, 2012, 04:52:42 am »
This thread is about a graphics hack of a NES game!
A bit off topic:
PS1 games were developed on a computer using a PS1 card in mostly C/C++,but you have to adapt code to use little RAM.
PS2 games were developed on a TOOL, a Linux PC looking like a big PS2 and containing PS2 chips.
For both consoles you can generare binaries using a MIPS gcc compiler.

Korichu

• View Profile
« Reply #604 on: June 28, 2012, 06:47:55 am »
This thread is about a graphics hack of a NES game!

I kind of think it's more than that by this point, unless you consider music, and a new battle system(If someone replies to the want ad if I remember right) a "graphic hack"

Oh and everything looks amazing.
"I'd leave too if my party members were named Copper and Geo."

Lugia2009

• Yes that was a banana. No one expects the banana
    • View Profile
« Reply #605 on: June 29, 2012, 08:47:04 am »
Could you guys possibly make side-quests in the game. Most of the side-quests are in disc 1 in the original and the FFVII pirate only goes to the materia tree and then ends with the so-called "Final Battle". You would have to edit the Shinra Mansion where Vincent is and if you can find a way to make Wutai on the map. Don't worry about finding Yuffie in the forest. Thats just too much to ask.

Unfortunately, that's far beyond my ability. I do know how to edit the game's events for the most part, but I couldn't figure out what tells the game that an event occurs on which map. And I couldn't figure out how to change the pointers to the events. So making new events would be impossible for me. If someone can figure out how to do that and add new space in the event banks, I would be happy to make the events. Also, another map would have to be created for the Shinra Mansion Basement.

Plus, more space would be needed for the dialogue. I'm sure that another bank can be created in the space the Chinese characters currently occupy. But I don't know how to make it.

And to add Vincent, more space would have to be made for his battle sprite, stats, and weapons (Unless Barret's weapons can be used for Vincent to save some time and space.) Space would also need to be made for his mugshot, which shouldn't be too hard. And to add him in to some of the game's events, which shouldn't be too hard either.

And for finding Yuffie, rather than meeting her in a random battle, I could just place a teleport tile on the world map in the forest and add the scene where she joins the party. But just like Vincent, additions need to be made in order to add her into the game.

Wutai is on the map, and it does lead to somewhere, but that place is not a fully functioning town.

I'm sure it's all possible, but much of it is beyond my ability.

I kind of think it's more than that by this point, unless you consider music, and a new battle system(If someone replies to the want ad if I remember right) a "graphic hack"

I would call it an overhaul. I mean, the game has been translated and changes were made to the gameplay, graphics, levels, and sound. Basically, everything about the game has been changed in some way.

Junon Harbor is done:

This map is actually longer, but I cut some of it out since it's just more of the harbor with some more boxes.

« Last Edit: June 29, 2012, 11:21:38 am by Lugia2009 »

InfamousKnight

• View Profile
« Reply #606 on: June 30, 2012, 12:16:25 am »
Where can I learn this NES programming format? I don't even know what a bank is. I know what a register is at least. I'm interested in learning.

SageOwl

• View Profile
« Reply #607 on: June 30, 2012, 12:57:50 am »
I vowed to never play Final Fantasy 7 again after my last playthrough, but for this I am willing to make an exception.
I always wanted to see how FF7 would play out in a 8 or 16 bit format, and this pretty much shows the former.
The graphics hack is looking great and really helps the gameplay out in the hack (for as much has been done/as far as you can play).

Seriously, keep up the incredible work Lugia, we're all behind you on this.
One question though: can the game be progressed past the Temple of the Ancients with the current patch? I can enter it and I run up to some altar, but there is no teleport to go inside/no event that takes place.

syntax error

• View Profile
« Reply #608 on: June 30, 2012, 04:44:33 am »
There is a helpful NESdevwiki and you can code using the C compiler cc65 if you cant learn 6502 asm.

June 30, 2012, 05:57:20 am - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
SageOwl: you need the Keystone there.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2012, 05:57:20 am by syntax error »

SageOwl

• View Profile
« Reply #609 on: June 30, 2012, 12:38:13 pm »
There is a helpful NESdevwiki and you can code using the C compiler cc65 if you cant learn 6502 asm.

June 30, 2012, 05:57:20 am - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
SageOwl: you need the Keystone there.
Lol yeah I forgot about that. I've now played it up to the materia tree... and is that the end of the game? No getting captured by Shinra, mideel, weapons, etc? A little disappointing if so, but expected with a NES game.
I also didn't get Cait Sith back after the Temple which was odd.

jmurjeff

• View Profile
« Reply #610 on: July 04, 2012, 07:33:33 pm »
I cannot wait till this is finished. I remember trying the translated version a while ago and the music turned me off. I felt like I was not playing a Final Fantasy game.

DackR

• Mo~
    • View Profile
    • Hackaday.io Page
« Reply #611 on: July 04, 2012, 11:20:53 pm »
Thought I'd chime in here. You've taken a game so terrible that all the expletives in the world are not enough to describe my frustration upon playing the original version-- to something I could see myself playing and actually enjoying. Now, that means something. At least to me. Keep it up. I look forward to playing this when you've finished.  :beer: Cheers.

Lugia2009

• View Profile
« Reply #612 on: July 05, 2012, 03:16:42 pm »
Thank you for all of the support. :)

I also didn't get Cait Sith back after the Temple which was odd.

For some reason the programmers decided to cut Cait Sith out of the game after the Temple of the Ancients, but I'm going to fix that.

The upper and lower decks of the ship is done:

InfamousKnight

• View Profile
« Reply #613 on: July 05, 2012, 05:18:35 pm »
Could I learn from here? I want to hack this NES game too. I have some experience in hex-editing and programming just to let you know if you didn't already. What are banks?

Nerd42

• View Profile
    • DJ Nerd42
« Reply #614 on: July 05, 2012, 06:53:35 pm »
Could I learn from here? I want to hack this NES game too. I have some experience in hex-editing and programming just to let you know if you didn't already. What are banks?
Hmm good question. I think banks are areas in memory, correct ??

SageOwl

• View Profile
« Reply #615 on: July 05, 2012, 11:55:53 pm »
Thank you for all of the support. :)

For some reason the programmers decided to cut Cait Sith out of the game after the Temple of the Ancients, but I'm going to fix that.

The upper and lower decks of the ship is done:

So the game does end right after your reach the "materia tree"? If so, any possibility of having the whole game implemented?
This project seems like it would be more appropriate for RPG maker given the limitations of NES games.

Lugia2009

• View Profile
« Reply #616 on: July 06, 2012, 09:48:59 am »
So the game does end right after your reach the "materia tree"? If so, any possibility of having the whole game implemented?

The game does end right after the materia tree. I'm sure it is possible to include the rest of the game, but I don't have the experience to do that. The event banks would have to be expanded and new events would have to be created, and more space would have to be made for the dialogue, maps, and teleport tiles. I'd say if the game was expanded from 2mb to 3 or 4mb, then that should be more than enough space for the rest of the game to be included.

This project seems like it would be more appropriate for RPG maker given the limitations of NES games.

I did think about that, but I like the idea of something that can be played on actual NES hardware. The NES does have some limitations, but it also has a lot of possibilities.

Korichu

• View Profile
« Reply #617 on: July 07, 2012, 12:07:34 am »
I like it staying an NES game anyway, it would just lose what makes it well it. If it was an RPGMaker game it'd be like other Final Fantasy 7 RPGMaker projects. Further more I'd rather play this on the go, you can't really do that with RPGMaker.
"I'd leave too if my party members were named Copper and Geo."

EarlJ

• View Profile
« Reply #618 on: July 07, 2012, 12:18:57 am »
The NES does have some limitations, but it also has a lot of possibilities.
That's a great way to look at things.

Nerd42

• View Profile
    • DJ Nerd42
« Reply #619 on: July 07, 2012, 12:30:42 am »
What's this Materia Tree stuff? From what I remember of FF7 on the PC, (long time ago) the game ended after the final big battle with One Winged Sephiroth the Bad Mutant Evil Angel Dude. Are you tellin me this game doesn't have a big boss battle with Sephiroth at the end?