News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Final Fantasy VII NES Project (Completed!)  (Read 755206 times)

syntax error

• View Profile
Re: Final Fantasy VII NES Project
« Reply #520 on: May 01, 2012, 06:30:55 am »
You did not write any editor for that ROM?

Chris_W

• View Profile
« Reply #521 on: May 01, 2012, 08:34:36 am »
Thanks for the help, Lugia. I have a few questions:

This one may be silly, but I can't find the "0x038217" line  :-[, Doesn't it start at 038210 / 40 32?

Also, where are the "New Game" & "Continue?" words?

And the last one: what will happen when you release a new patch, will I be able to copy all my work to the new one?  :huh:

« Last Edit: May 01, 2012, 10:39:26 am by Chris_W »

Lugia2009

• Yes that was a banana. No one expects the banana
    • View Profile
« Reply #522 on: May 01, 2012, 08:44:35 pm »
You did not write any editor for that ROM?

I don't know how to. Plus I really only know how to edit certain parts, I can't really say with 100% certainty how it all works.

This one may be silly, but I can't find the "0x038217" line  :-[, Doesn't it start at 038210 / 40 32?

It's not silly, the numbers at the left of the hex editor show the location of the first byte in that entire line. At the top of the hex editor, it shows the actual location of a specific byte.

Also, where are the "New Game" & "Continue?" words?

That's part of the graphics for the title screen. If you'd like, I could make the changes. Just let me know what the translations of them are.

And the last one: what will happen when you release a new patch, will I be able to copy all my work to the new one?  :huh:

Yeah, you can. :) But as a heads up, some of the dialogue for the later parts of the game are going to be changed so the NES version of the game's story makes a little more sense.

Darakutenshi

« Reply #523 on: May 03, 2012, 03:18:47 pm »
Hey, I just wanted to say how great I think you guys are doing. The first time I saw this game I decided to not bother playing it because it was so messed up. But, what you guys are doing to it makes it worth playing. Thank you! Can't wait to see completed and put on an NES Repro cart.

Lugia2009

• View Profile
« Reply #524 on: May 04, 2012, 10:34:19 pm »
Insert Quote
Hey, I just wanted to say how great I think you guys are doing. The first time I saw this game I decided to not bother playing it because it was so messed up. But, what you guys are doing to it makes it worth playing. Thank you! Can't wait to see completed and put on an NES Repro cart.

Thanks  :)

One of the Chocobo Farm's buildings is done, here's a before and after.

Moothead

• View Profile
« Reply #525 on: May 05, 2012, 10:39:53 am »

One of the Chocobo Farm's buildings is done, here's a before and after.

You have made this remake so much better with your modifications! What was once a crappy stand in for the Chocobo farm house is now an incredible replica! Can't wait to actually play this, don't want to start till it's completed.

Lugia2009

• View Profile
« Reply #526 on: May 05, 2012, 10:18:14 pm »

The choco farm building is finished. I also fixed the dialogue for when you buy the chocobo lure.

Blue Gollumer

« Reply #527 on: May 06, 2012, 02:01:14 pm »
Hey, I'm new here, but I just wanted to chime in and say what an awesome job you're doing and what an interesting project this is.  I just played through the game up until the Chocobo Farm and it was really interesting. 

Also, I'm an academic so I must note that there is interesting theoretical stuff going on here.  Projects like this one subvert the common narrative of technology which we always assume must improve technically to improve conceptually.  I've referred your project to a friend who studies video games and he might be using it in an upcoming paper.

One question, which I hope hasn't been asked elsewhere (I scanned the thread and didn't see it) but when I get an updated patch do I have to start the game all over?  Or will my save work?

Thanks!

detox420

• View Profile
« Reply #528 on: May 06, 2012, 03:59:35 pm »
One question, which I hope hasn't been asked elsewhere (I scanned the thread and didn't see it) but when I get an updated patch do I have to start the game all over?  Or will my save work?
I take your new to the whole emulator thing. Although im not sure what EMU your using im sure it has "Save States" Look into it my friend. google magic! As long as the File name stays the same your in the clear
(or post what emulator you use and im sure we can give you some detailed instructions :D
« Last Edit: May 06, 2012, 07:06:44 pm by detox420 »

syntax error

• View Profile
« Reply #529 on: May 07, 2012, 04:59:50 am »
FF7NES uses Mapper #163 that was not around when NES games were produced, thats why the ROM is unusual in size.
A mapper is a on-cart IC that connects Adress lines in block like on CP/M computers so that games could use bigger ROMS than the CPU can access,some of them contain scanline counters and better audio chips.
The save states from Lugia2009 are for only for FCEUX because it saves the state of all chips.
Important!: If you save IN the game, you can transfer the .srm file to every emulator that can run mapper 163.

detox420

• View Profile
« Reply #530 on: May 07, 2012, 06:24:26 pm »
The save states from Lugia2009 are for only for FCEUX because it saves the state of all chips.
Important!: If you save IN the game, you can transfer the .srm file to every emulator that can run mapper 163.

Do you know of a list of Emu's that support Mapper 163 i could only find the one. Although im sure they're are many.
And for anyone who wanted to know "nesdroid" will play ff7 on your phone, as well as "Nes.emu"
I prefer Nes.Emu because of functionality and it runs the game smoother on my phones.
they are both ports of FCEUX.

im about to start looking into Reproducing carts i noticed people are selling Snes carts for like 100$, im referring to Zelda Parallel worlds. and that is just crazy talk. Finding the cart to use mapper 163 isnt gonna be easy but im sure theyre are other ways than just finding a Shenzhen Nanjing Technology Co cart. if anyone else hops on this ive found a few sites i could link and id love to see someone elses comments or thoughts. thanks

Ambient_Malice

« Reply #531 on: May 08, 2012, 07:27:17 am »
Firstly, let me say you're doing a nice job. I got this running on a NES emulator for the Playstation Portable, and it seems to run well.

Secondly, the music makes my ears bleed. The arrangements are lovely imitations of Final Fantasy tracks, but ARGGHHH! THE CHIRPING NOTES!!! THE PAIN!!! MIGRANES!!! I think nes chiptunes are a wee bit overrated. @_@

Non-stop random encounters aside, you've done a good job polishing up the combat and environments. I played an original rom alongside yours, and the difference was staggering.

Lugia2009

• View Profile
« Reply #532 on: May 08, 2012, 10:16:29 am »
I've referred your project to a friend who studies video games and he might be using it in an upcoming paper.

Wow, thank you.  :)

It should work. When I want to keep using my save states, I have to make sure the name matches the name of the Rom. But that's with the psp emulator. I don't know if it's the same for all emulators. With FCEUX, any save state will work as long as it's from the same game.

Do you know of a list of Emu's that support Mapper 163

I know the wii version of FCEUX runs mapper 163. So does Nester P.

im about to start looking into Reproducing carts i noticed people are selling Snes carts for like 100$, im referring to Zelda Parallel worlds. and that is just crazy talk. Finding the cart to use mapper 163 isnt gonna be easy but im sure theyre are other ways than just finding a Shenzhen Nanjing Technology Co cart. if anyone else hops on this ive found a few sites i could link and id love to see someone elses comments or thoughts. thanks

I think it has to be a mapper 163 cart, but I'm not sure. But if it helps any, I found some pics of the FF7 Advent Children pcb:

And here's some info about it:

LC3664BML-10 is 64K of RAM
CY6264-70SC is 8K of RAM
and 29LV160BTC-90 appears to be a 16M-BIT flash rom (16 megabits =2 megabytes)

so it would be the CHR-RAM, SRAM, and then PRG ROM

It would appear you only have one ROM to replace and the one built in may be reprogrammable.

syntax error

• View Profile
« Reply #533 on: May 08, 2012, 10:20:41 am »
looks like a firmware chip used in routers and other things you can flash Linux onto.

Chpexo

• View Profile
« Reply #534 on: May 10, 2012, 05:25:20 pm »
One Winged Angel Song

EDIT:

Can you change the font to this?

There's no moon in the title screen. A picture how it should be.

HP is misplaced once it is refreshed when you hit an enemy. The tiles are stored like the tiles on maps.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2012, 09:42:08 pm by Chpexo »

Lugia2009

• View Profile
« Reply #535 on: May 13, 2012, 11:14:32 pm »
One Winged Angel Song

Not bad, some of the notes' timing and sound are a little off, but overall, pretty good. :thumbsup:

Sure thing.

HP is misplaced once it is refreshed when you hit an enemy. The tiles are stored like the tiles on maps.

They shouldn't be too hard to fix.

Mythril Mine is done

Moothead

• View Profile
« Reply #536 on: May 17, 2012, 07:02:47 am »
Awesome. Will you be correcting the enemies in this hack so that the enemies are the same or at least similar to what are there in the PS1 version?

vivify93

• Submission Reviewer
  • Guardian of Mystery
    • View Profile
« Reply #537 on: May 17, 2012, 08:20:20 am »
Umm... Chpexo, did you use the entire 8x8 length available? That... won't look very nice in the dialogue. Letters will run together, not to mention it's awkwardly spaced.
All my life I've tried to fight what history has given me.

Lugia2009

• View Profile
« Reply #538 on: May 17, 2012, 11:44:19 am »

Done, done, and done.
I also made it so "Name" doesn't disappear also on the battle menu.

Umm... Chpexo, did you use the entire 8x8 length available? That... won't look very nice in the dialogue. Letters will run together, not to mention it's awkwardly spaced.

I modified the letters and numbers a little to fix that.

Awesome. Will you be correcting the enemies in this hack so that the enemies are the same or at least similar to what are there in the PS1 version?

Yep, once I'm done with all the maps, dialogue, and events, I'm going to change all of the enemy graphics.

burn_654

• View Profile
« Reply #539 on: May 17, 2012, 12:54:42 pm »
Man, I would love to have a reproduction of this when Lugia's excellent updates are finished
(but as with any project like this...nothing is 'final' ;))

From searching for the flash chip, it appears to be present in Ambit 200 modems and can be flashed with a homemade 'blackcat' jtag cable for them. I wonder if you could take one of these modems and use it to write our rom data to it...unless there's a simpler way?