News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Final Fantasy VII NES Project (Completed!)  (Read 755906 times)

shadowmanwkp

• View Profile
Re: Final Fantasy VII NES Project
« Reply #500 on: April 24, 2012, 03:42:53 am »
I wanted to play this game on the go. So I installed an emulator for the nes on my Droid phone. Every other game works great except this one. I had issues on the computer as well but eventually I found and emu that worked. But couldnt find one that worked for my Droid. Is there any that anyone knows of? Or anyone who can help

Support for these games is always kind of fickle. Because they're pirated games, programmers do not feel obliged to support that specific mapper. I'd suggest looking up what mapper this game uses and then see if you can find an android emu that supports that particular mapper. That would be your best shot.

Note: Mappers aren't the only thing that can cause the emulator to refuse playing a game, but it is seems to be the most common one.

Edit: The mapper for FFVII nes seems to be 163, if you look for a droid emulator that support this specific mapper, you'd have a lot more luck with running the game.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2012, 03:51:59 am by shadowmanwkp »

detox420

• View Profile
« Reply #501 on: April 24, 2012, 03:45:10 am »
Thank you for the input I will look into it and research. I'll post my results.

Lugia2009

• Yes that was a banana. No one expects the banana
    • View Profile
« Reply #502 on: April 25, 2012, 11:34:14 am »
Lugia2009, thank you for being so kind! I always get unsure and feel like I'm treading on someone else's territory when I make a large amount of suggestions, or even one "big" suggestion.

You're welcome. Anytime you have any suggestions, let me know. And thank you for making the new icons.

Oh, and I had one more thing I didn't suggest in my haste - would it be possible to put the weapon icons before the names? Like how I had it in my example...

That shouldn't be a problem.

I did run into a problem with the mugshots in the menus. I couldn't figure out how to get the mugshots to appear on the main menu.
I also found out that all of the mugshots are linked together. So if I change the one for the status screen, then the magic and equip menu mugshots are affected too. So I did move the mugshots over a little bit, I just couldn't center it since it interferes with the magic menu too much.

I also changed the color of the menu to a darker gray. I also changed the menu's blue color into a more vibrant blue. When I'm done with the menu, I'll post up before and after pics.

Moothead

• View Profile
« Reply #503 on: April 25, 2012, 01:24:33 pm »
Hi there. Great work so far, it's fantastic. I was wondering though if it's possible to make a reproduction of this game so I could play it on the real thing or is it basically impossible without making the board from scratch? Also, how far done is this as a rough %?

Sorry if these are annoying questions that have already been answered.

Lugia2009

• View Profile
« Reply #504 on: April 25, 2012, 11:22:13 pm »
Hi there. Great work so far, it's fantastic. I was wondering though if it's possible to make a reproduction of this game so I could play it on the real thing or is it basically impossible without making the board from scratch?

You could either make a board from scratch, or you probably could find a cartridge with a mapper 163 chip to use as a donor cart. Any Shenzhen Nanjing game would do.

Also, how far done is this as a rough %?

I'd say about 75%

Sorry if these are annoying questions that have already been answered.

It's no bother

@vivify93

I finished the menus, how's this?

I couldn't add any color to some of the icons since they are a part of the dialogue system. I found out that those graphics can only be one color.

DarknessSavior

• Darkness.
    • View Profile
    • DS: No, not the Nintendo one.
« Reply #505 on: April 26, 2012, 12:32:35 am »
Why did you change the color of the non-white text and the hand? I think that looked better before, tbh.

~DS
Red Comet: :'( Poor DS. Nobody loves him like RC does. :'(
Sliver-X: LET ME INFRINGE UPON IT WITH MY MOUTH
DSRH - Currently working on: Demon's Blazon, Romancing SaGa, FFIV EasyType.
http://www.youtube.com/user/DarknessSavior

vivify93

• Submission Reviewer
  • Guardian of Mystery
    • View Profile
« Reply #506 on: April 26, 2012, 07:47:20 am »
I finished the menus, how's this?
They. Look. Amaziiiiiiiing~! :D

I couldn't add any color to some of the icons since they are a part of the dialogue system. I found out that those graphics can only be one color.
Aww... How depressing. :( Still, what you could do was really nice! ;D

Why did you change the color of the non-white text and the hand? I think that looked better before, tbh.
I think if he hadn't, the colorized versions of the larger icons would become green where they're supposed to be gray.
All my life I've tried to fight what history has given me.

Lugia2009

• View Profile
« Reply #507 on: April 26, 2012, 11:44:16 am »
They. Look. Amaziiiiiiiing~!

Thanks  :)

I got a little tired of the green, but I can change it back, it's no bother.

randomguy8695

« Reply #508 on: April 26, 2012, 09:13:43 pm »
Hey everyone, random guy here to tell you guys about the next game-breaking bug in the current patch! :D

As you progress through the story, you make it here (Gaea's Cliff) and the cutscene walks you through this entrance

And then plummets you to survive for yourself in the vast ocean of Final Fantasy 7..

..and Cloud can't swim D:

detox420

• View Profile
« Reply #509 on: April 27, 2012, 12:55:03 am »
Hey everyone, random guy here to tell you guys about the next game-breaking bug in the current patch! :D

As you progress through the story, you make it here (Gaea's Cliff) and the cutscene walks you through this entrance

And then plummets you to survive for yourself in the vast ocean of Final Fantasy 7..

..and Cloud can't swim D:

.  I died crying laughing after reading this.

Lugia2009

• View Profile
« Reply #510 on: April 27, 2012, 03:43:55 pm »

Thanks for finding that, to fix it, go to 0x009e15 in the hex editor and change 14 04 to 16 36.
I also posted up a fixed patch on the 1st page.

April 28, 2012, 11:14:24 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
The Chocobo Farm is done:

« Last Edit: April 28, 2012, 11:14:24 pm by Lugia2009 »

Moothead

• View Profile
« Reply #511 on: April 29, 2012, 08:56:08 am »
Chocobo farm looks fantastic!

Tomato

• View Profile
    • Legends of Localization
« Reply #512 on: April 29, 2012, 09:28:58 am »
Holy wow that looks amazing!

Miksy91

• View Profile
« Reply #513 on: April 29, 2012, 10:54:00 am »
Truly awesome indeed (Chocobo farm that is) !

I rarely play games (or hacks either) but this is something that I really want to try out.
Pokemon Dark Energy is a rom hack based on Pokemon Silver. Like most pokemon hacks, it retains the pokemon stylish gameplay but has plenty of elements from other RPGs as well. You'd better check it out!

Chpexo

• View Profile
« Reply #514 on: April 29, 2012, 01:17:04 pm »
Looks fantastic. The hack looks better and better as time progresses.

Moothead

• View Profile
« Reply #515 on: April 29, 2012, 02:13:35 pm »
Does anyone know where you can get shenzhen nanjing games from? I'd love to make a reproduction of this when it's done.

keithisgood

• [DANGER ! ! ! ! ! ! ] [TERROR HORROR]
    • View Profile
    • keithisgood
« Reply #516 on: April 29, 2012, 03:22:03 pm »
I think it needs to be reiterated what amazing work you're doing, Lugia.

Eisenwill

• View Profile
« Reply #517 on: April 29, 2012, 10:11:22 pm »
I've decided to wait until this patch is finalized before making a playthrough, but I am really excited with everything done so far. Great work.

Chris_W

• View Profile
« Reply #518 on: April 30, 2012, 12:55:29 pm »
Hey there:

First of all, congrats for such a great work, it's incredible  :woot!:

I have 2 questions:

- Is it possible to play this in any of the iphone's emu's?

Talking 'bout other stuff: I'd love to translate this game to my mother language [spanish]. How could I do it?

Regards from Spain  :crazy:

April 30, 2012, 02:06:41 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
- Is it possible to play this in any of the iphone's emu's?

Ok, found out by myself: NES.emu runs it smooth :D
« Last Edit: April 30, 2012, 03:04:17 pm by Chris_W »

Lugia2009

• View Profile
« Reply #519 on: April 30, 2012, 04:34:04 pm »
Thank you for all the compliments  :)

Insert Quote
Does anyone know where you can get shenzhen nanjing games from? I'd love to make a reproduction of this when it's done.

You may find one or two on ebay, they're very rare but do occasionally come up on ebay.

Here's a site that lists all of Shenzhen's known games.
http://bootleggames.wikia.com/wiki/Shenzhen_Nanjing

If you do make a reproduction, would you mind posting up how you did it? I would love to add this game to my collection too.

Talking 'bout other stuff: I'd love to translate this game to my mother language [spanish]. How could I do it?

The dialogue system is fairly easy to work with, the most challenging thing is to make sure the dialogue fits in the dialogue boxes.

Here's a picture of what some of the dialogue looks like in the hex editor. (To get a better view, right click and select "View Image")

Here's the commands:

\ (5c in hex) = causes a break in the text and makes it go to the next line.
@x = inserts a character portrait. @1 for Cloud, @2 for Barret, ect...
. = this is just a period. but in hex it's 2e, not 00. I made that mistake a few times.
0A = this byte finishes off the segment of dialogue, if you don't have this, then the dialogue will just keep going until it reaches one.

Here's how the pointers work.
Barret's line "Barret: C'mon newcomer. Follow me."
This line begins at 0x038217 in the hex editor. The pointer for this is 07 82.

Now take a look at the last 4 numbers in the location for the line. its 82 17
In order to get the pointer, flip 17 and 82, then subtract 10 from the 17 to get 07. You will end up with 07 82.

And to make sure the dialogue fits in the box, just make plenty of save states and play through the part of the dialogue you are editing to make sure it fits correctly.

Let me know if you need any help.