News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Final Fantasy VII NES Project (Completed!)  (Read 755868 times)

Thanatos-Zero

• NES Graphic Designer
    • View Profile
Re: Final Fantasy VII NES Project
« Reply #400 on: January 23, 2012, 11:17:08 am »
Hm... Since you asked I goggled and I found some interresting sites which documented the VRC6. I couldn't make out what exactly is the limit for Roms with that mapper. I believe one description told about a size of 256KB, but I do not think that is the maximum size. Castlevania 3 had 512KB with the VRC6 and I think that we could go above 1MB easily. Even Megaman Odyssey and Rockman 4 MI could reach 1MB with the MMC5.
Still, what interrests us is the data responsible for the two additional sound channels.

What to do is to make contact with the guys who made the emulators, like the FCEUX. They could answer all our questions and even help us to make the 163 mapper better overall. All what we really need is knowledge about those things. I will ask Kujakiller first for more information, since he is my partner.

-----

@Nerd42
You forget that the mapper always evolved. You could even consider the mapper which came after the first one, that all other games with different mapper were no longer NES games in essence. The chips, which contains the mapper, in the cartriges were responsible that the game worked on the NES. Depending on the hardware in the NES era, we gained more memory for the games from the beginning to the end. 

After years the SNES came, because the hardware evolved. With the SNES we were no longer restricted to 24 colours, but up to 256 colours with more detailed sprites.

I am going offtopic, but you must know that with 2MB and maybe even 1MB we might have gone above what was once thought to be impossible for the NES. However memory is not the problem for the NES, but things like SNES graphics are right impossible.

Point is that the reason we work on NES games and not on N64 and above is, because we love the NES with its limitations. Nostalgia is also a reason. As long it keeps the NES flair with said limitations it is a NES game.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2012, 11:49:10 am by Thanatos-Zero »

Nerd42

• View Profile
    • DJ Nerd42
« Reply #401 on: January 23, 2012, 11:42:43 am »
If we can get emulators to support bigger mappers then I'm all for it. But it would really suck to buy an android phone and find out that this game will no longer work, or that it won't work on PSP nesterJ anymore or whatever

Thanatos-Zero

• NES Graphic Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #402 on: January 23, 2012, 12:07:31 pm »
Since I am temporally now on the PC and not on the Wii. I can post links to said pages I have seen.
http://wiki.nesdev.com/w/index.php/VRC6
http://wiki.nesdev.com/w/index.php/VRC6_audio (this one is important)

There are so many things I do not understand, but there are emulators around Nerd42 which support many mappers.

The Nintendulator supports many mappers, but not the Chinese mapper 163.
http://www.qmtpro.com/~nes/nintendulator/

About FCEUX there was no list of mapper, which are supported. Perhaps you have more luck.
http://fceux.com/web/fceux-2.0.2.htm?{54E785A1-1E42-4B8F-B3E2-94BAA91750B9}.htm

I think it is time to let people speak which have more knowhow about it, as I am reaching my limit. Mapper aren't my strength and programming languages neither.

Lugia2009

• Yes that was a banana. No one expects the banana
    • View Profile
« Reply #403 on: January 23, 2012, 01:31:31 pm »
@Nerd42

Aren't a lot of NES emulators are just ports of FCEUX. Couldn't you just to modify one, and then apply those changes to the ports?
I'm sure someone would do it, I mean, mapper 163 was created by a pirate company that made crappy nes ports of newer games and someone still modified FCEUX to allow support so people could play these games. I would think that someone would come along and modify the mapper support for a decent de-make.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2012, 01:46:56 pm by Lugia2009 »

Nerd42

• View Profile
    • DJ Nerd42
« Reply #404 on: January 23, 2012, 05:00:38 pm »
Well I hope so

Easy

• View Profile
« Reply #405 on: January 25, 2012, 04:17:03 pm »
 :'( I'm late. Download patch link was dead. :'(

Lugia2009

• View Profile
« Reply #406 on: January 25, 2012, 11:01:28 pm »

Easy

• View Profile
« Reply #407 on: January 26, 2012, 05:06:02 pm »

Lugia2009

• View Profile
« Reply #408 on: January 26, 2012, 06:00:07 pm »
No problem

Easy

• View Profile
« Reply #409 on: January 29, 2012, 03:47:51 am »
Does anyone can hack these to normal mapper? I wanna play very cool hack on real cart.

syntax error

• View Profile
« Reply #410 on: January 29, 2012, 04:19:49 am »
Not possible.Do you want to have only a quarter of the ROM on your flash cart?

Thanatos-Zero

• NES Graphic Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #411 on: January 29, 2012, 08:34:43 am »
Not possible.Do you want to have only a quarter of the ROM on your flash cart?
That reminds me suddenly of the original. You needed all three CDs to play the game through. :D
However we could create now NES cartridges, which could contain all NES games in the world multiple times.
With the right software and hardware everything is possible.^^

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #412 on: January 29, 2012, 01:40:25 pm »
With the CDs, it was just because the FMVs were too big to fit them all on one CD.
Supposedly the actual game data is repeated on all 3 discs, with the remainder used to store FMVs.
(which would explain why the PSN version is only about 1.2GB, or the size of 2 CDs)

I actually remember asking that very question some time ago (I had a dream about a special edition of Milon's Secret Castle, where you had to buy more carts to unlock more of the castle :D ). ... whether hot-swapping carts was possible (without risking crashing or even breaking the console)
Would require disabling all interrupts (does turning off the screen stop the PPU from reading cart VRAM/CHR-ROM?) and running RAM-resident code to check when the cart is swapped (essentially stopping the game from accessing the cart port).
« Last Edit: January 29, 2012, 01:47:23 pm by KingMike »
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

Nerd42

• View Profile
    • DJ Nerd42
« Reply #413 on: January 29, 2012, 04:01:31 pm »
The best version of Final Fantasy VII is Final Fantasy VII Ultima Edition. It's ill. Legal.

syntax error

• View Profile
« Reply #414 on: January 29, 2012, 04:34:10 pm »
No The best version is the Retranslation Project because all that missed  FF VII will understand it at first playthrough.

Lugia2009

• View Profile
« Reply #415 on: January 29, 2012, 04:44:00 pm »
What's the difference between the regular version and the Ultima Version? I looked, people said it is the regular version plus some extras, but no one went into any detail about these extras.

January 29, 2012, 05:24:24 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
Here's a progress update. I'm working on the world map right now. 46/256 screens completed.

« Last Edit: January 29, 2012, 05:24:24 pm by Lugia2009 »

Nerd42

• View Profile
    • DJ Nerd42
« Reply #416 on: January 29, 2012, 05:28:31 pm »
What's the difference between the regular version and the Ultima Version? I looked, people said it is the regular version plus some extras, but no one went into any detail about these extras.
It's compressed down to 1 GB, doesn't require any discs, has improved sound, runs on modern systems and has some extra bonus crap which doesn't matter much. The nice thing is that it doesn't need you to switch discs, EVER because it doesn't use discs AT ALL.

January 29, 2012, 05:24:24 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
Here's a progress update. I'm working on the world map right now. 46/256 screens completed.

coolness :)

Miksy91

• View Profile
« Reply #417 on: January 30, 2012, 03:34:25 am »
I haven't played the pirate nes version and don't even want to think about what the worldmap was like in it :D
This one looks amazing though - very good 2D version of the worldmap in FF7.
Pokemon Dark Energy is a rom hack based on Pokemon Silver. Like most pokemon hacks, it retains the pokemon stylish gameplay but has plenty of elements from other RPGs as well. You'd better check it out!

Metal Knuckles

• WE MUST GATTAI
    • View Profile
    • Sonic Retro
« Reply #418 on: January 31, 2012, 04:37:05 pm »
Making the bridges (in Wutai, I mean) is going to require a bit of fudging. You could probably design the collision paths to follow them just fine, but it's going to be awkward having to alternate between pressing up and left/right to traverse the bridge path.

Eisenwill

• View Profile
« Reply #419 on: February 01, 2012, 11:21:34 am »
My question is, if you are editing Wutai into the game, is there going to be anything over there to actually explore (other than perhaps random battles)? IIRC, Wutai was completely excluded from the original ROM.