News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Final Fantasy VII NES Project (Completed!)  (Read 755818 times)

dACE

• View Profile
Re: Final Fantasy VII NES Project
« Reply #380 on: January 19, 2012, 04:55:47 am »
Such drama!  :)

Have to agree with Wasteland though - what's the harm in releasing already patched roms?
Is it a clever way of sidetrack the 'law' by making the downloader assemble the parts into something 'illegal' himself?

Also - I love the virgin reference. I’m not entirely sure, since this is a concept that is quite new to me, BUT Wasteland is most likely a TROLL.

...unless she’s pretty – then perhaps... I could plow the Wasteland and lose my virginity?  ;)

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #381 on: January 19, 2012, 10:58:33 am »
Stop this. :police:
If anyone has a problem with someone violating the rules, click the "Report to Moderator" link.
Thank you.
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

Nerd42

• View Profile
    • DJ Nerd42
« Reply #382 on: January 19, 2012, 04:42:07 pm »
OK maybe I should clarify a few things.

1. Patching the rom in this case is so ridiculously easy that a retarded monkey could do it. Get Lunar IPS.
2. Finding the unpatched rom to apply the patch to on Google is less easy, but a seven year old girl could do it.
3. Asking for roms on most forums that aren't specifically dedicated to distributing roms is always and everywhere not allowed and people should read the site rules before they post on any new forum.
4. I support redistributing patched roms along with unpatched on other web sites, so that you don't even have to do the job that a retarded monkey could do for the sake of convenience. Just not on here.
5. What I said is not necessarily my personal answer. It is THE answer that everyone here in fact gives, whether they explicitly include the "You're an idiot" part or just leave it implicit.

Chpexo

• View Profile
« Reply #383 on: January 19, 2012, 05:18:58 pm »
Nerd42 that is enough. It is not a crime to discover nesticle is limited to certain games.

Nerd42

• View Profile
    • DJ Nerd42
« Reply #384 on: January 19, 2012, 07:13:56 pm »
Nerd42 that is enough. It is not a crime to discover nesticle is limited to certain games.
Oh, was that the trouble? Oh man, that sucks. Sorry, I assumed this was a typical case of "I don't want to bother learning how to apply a patch." Apparently it wasn't. Sorry everybody.

Thanatos-Zero

• NES Graphic Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #385 on: January 20, 2012, 06:47:11 pm »
Lugia2009 I opened a new thread in the Programming subforum for you and others. I hope for you that you get the knowledge you might need later on for this project.
Also as it looks like, it seems that Optomon isn't aware of it.
I will message him later on Board2. 

Lugia2009

• Yes that was a banana. No one expects the banana
    • View Profile
« Reply #386 on: January 20, 2012, 06:53:46 pm »
Lugia2009 I opened a new thread in the Programming subforum for you and others. I hope for you that you get the knowledge you might need later on for this project.
Also as it looks like, it seems that Optomon isn't aware of it.
I will message him later on Board2. 

Thank you :)

EarlJ

• View Profile
« Reply #387 on: January 20, 2012, 11:26:51 pm »
It is not a crime to discover nesticle is limited to certain games.
I'm always surprised to hear that people still use Nesticle. Although for programmers and translators, I guess it's nice to know that the things you do can have such a lasting legacy.

/off topic

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #388 on: January 21, 2012, 12:44:46 am »
Nah. FCEUX has replaced Nesticle in every way.
The only time I have used it in the last few years is the translation of FF3 that doesn't work on better emulators (because it expands the ROM beyond the actual MMC3's limit, and only that and one version of... VirtuaNES, I think, lets it get away with it).
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

Burzy

• View Profile
« Reply #389 on: January 21, 2012, 10:12:38 am »
Asking to follow the rules is a simple request, for sure.  However, for  the ever-passive-aggressive Nerd42to reply rudely or condescendingly to a person new to RHDN, and to assume that they will sit there and read alllllll the stickied topics etc just to satisfy the anal-retentive moodswings of some of our tenured members, is pure douchebaggery. 

Coming out with "you're an idiot" right away?  I would let a hammer make love to your face if you ever spoke to me like that.  I suppose the magic of the internet is that a person can be a complete waste of life, and still have no lesser of a life-span, tucked away in the recesses of his/her parent's basement...
Video I made for a game I love:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OdX7apGn0xM

Chpexo

• View Profile
« Reply #390 on: January 21, 2012, 11:37:39 am »
I made a mugshot for Cid. I have been scaling the original image to the NES mugshot sizes.

The blue looks rather harsh.

EDIT: Here's Tifa's mugshot
« Last Edit: January 21, 2012, 03:41:32 pm by Chpexo »

Celice

• View Profile
« Reply #391 on: January 21, 2012, 06:06:55 pm »
I don't think scaling is going to be helpful here... however, have you ever tried redrawing the mug by yourself? It's actually pretty interesting... you can try and draw your own miniature version of it, and often times, it doesn't come out too bad. At least, I've been incredibly lucky redrawing things at different dimensions in YY-CHR ^^

Chpexo

• View Profile
« Reply #392 on: January 21, 2012, 06:25:42 pm »
I don't think scaling is going to be helpful here... however, have you ever tried redrawing the mug by yourself? It's actually pretty interesting... you can try and draw your own miniature version of it, and often times, it doesn't come out too bad. At least, I've been incredibly lucky redrawing things at different dimensions in YY-CHR ^^
I did try it sometimes. My method is scaling the image on photoshop and on a new layer trace the image and make the shades almost exactly like the image.

I do not use YY-CHR a lot, I'll try it out.

Lugia2009

• View Profile
« Reply #393 on: January 21, 2012, 08:15:03 pm »
Thanks for making the mugshots, I think they came out good.:thumbsup:
I changed the blue on Cid to brown.

Thanatos-Zero

• NES Graphic Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #394 on: January 22, 2012, 05:59:00 pm »
I am still waiting for Optomon's Response, but I just came to know that we need to modify the mapper inside in the ROM.
It shouldn't be to difficult, if we have the tools at hand for that task, which is knowledge.
Even though I never programmed in my life, I have a theory how we could make an inferior mapper to an more superior one, which matches the newer mapper, by using the data which is in them.
This data will be put into databanks in forms of script, which are modified in the way, that it matches with the old one. This extension gives the older mapper more options and enables things which were impossible without it.

That is the plan. If Optomon can give us the needed data of the better mapper, which is responsible for the music, we might have a chance.

Lugia2009

• View Profile
« Reply #395 on: January 22, 2012, 08:38:40 pm »
I am still waiting for Optomon's Response, but I just came to know that we need to modify the mapper inside in the ROM.
It shouldn't be to difficult, if we have the tools at hand for that task, which is knowledge.
Even though I never programmed in my life, I have a theory how we could make an inferior mapper to an more superior one, which matches the newer mapper, by using the data which is in them.
This data will be put into databanks in forms of script, which are modified in the way, that it matches with the old one. This extension gives the older mapper more options and enables things which were impossible without it.

That is the plan. If Optomon can give us the needed data of the better mapper, which is responsible for the music, we might have a chance.

That's would be great. Then, along with the better music, the event banks can be expanded, and the game's data could be a bit more organized. And, hopefully, this game's battle system could get a much needed rewrite.

Karatorian

• "Gotta get get ... 6502"
    • View Profile
    • Studio Karatorian
« Reply #396 on: January 22, 2012, 09:01:56 pm »
Before getting too excited about changing the mapper, remember that this game is huge and uses a pirate mapper that supports games much larger than most other mappers.
Current ProjectsFinal Fantasy EngineSMB Special for NESStudio Karatorian
@loop: lda (src),y — sta (dst),y — iny — bne @loop — inc src+1 — inc dst+1 — dex — bne @loop

Thanatos-Zero

• NES Graphic Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #397 on: January 23, 2012, 12:57:56 am »
Before getting too excited about changing the mapper, remember that this game is huge and uses a pirate mapper that supports games much larger than most other mappers.
But as it appears so, the pirate one is inferior to the VRC6 mapper (Found out that it is a mapper and not an chip for music only), otherwise we would have two more sound channels at disposal.
As Zi Ghisam (I hope I spelled it correct) told me, if we were to create an new mapper in the game, it might become unplayable by the emulators out there, because they lack the data itself to support it.

One another way is to basically rebuilt the game around an mere VRC6 mapper, which makes the game a homebrew, instead of a modified ROM.

Lugia2009

• View Profile
« Reply #398 on: January 23, 2012, 10:04:23 am »
if we were to create an new mapper in the game, it might become unplayable by the emulators out there, because they lack the data itself to support it.

So if a new mapper is made, it would have to be made by someone with the knowledge to make changes to an emulator to allow support for it.

One another way is to basically rebuilt the game around an mere VRC6 mapper, which makes the game a homebrew, instead of a modified ROM.

Would that mapper be able to support a game of this size? From what I understand, mapper 163 is the only mapper that would allow a game to go up to 2MB or larger.

Nerd42

• View Profile
    • DJ Nerd42
« Reply #399 on: January 23, 2012, 11:04:15 am »
Change the mapper to an even more unusual mapper!?

Dude, at some point, it's not an NES game anymore and that, it seems to me, would be getting close to that point.

If I can't play it on my PSP, (or in the future on my phone) I'm not sure I'd ever actually play it and I think that probably goes for alot of people. Not because it's not cool and all but just because old-style RPGs for them are things they do on small portable devices while they're waiting around, on a bus or in a long line or whatever. If you make it too weird, that will limit the number of devices that will get emulators to support the game even further and make it basically unplayable except on a special modified emulator and that would reduce the user base significantly I expect. So please bear these factors in mind