News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Final Fantasy VII NES Project (Completed!)  (Read 756164 times)

zeth07

• View Profile
Re: Final Fantasy VII NES Project
« Reply #980 on: November 06, 2012, 09:51:56 pm »
The second one. You can tell cause of Cloud's sprite at least. In the game there were a lot of paths underneath each other and blocked by spiderwebs that went into fights, and other paths went to chests. So it looks pretty good for what it is.

Lugia2009

• Yes that was a banana. No one expects the banana
    • View Profile
« Reply #981 on: November 06, 2012, 09:55:59 pm »
@Nerd42: That's  ok, zeth07's right, it's the 2nd one.

zeth07

• View Profile
« Reply #982 on: November 06, 2012, 10:29:04 pm »
Not sure if this has been brought up already or not, it seems that my magic in the menus is displayed wrong:

I upgraded it in the shop to Lv.2 but for whatever reason it is displaying it as Lv.1 in the Equip menu and Status menu but displays fine in the Magic menu. I don't know if this is messed up or maybe I'm just missing something for why it is like that.

Also I don't know if it is supposed to work this way or not, but when saving the game using the in-game function it doesn't seem to stay saved after I close out the emulator. It does however stay if I reset the game and then continue. Again I don't know if that is how it is supposed to work or not but it isn't too much of an issue if I use save states obviously. I know the first time I was trying the game I used the in-game save, and when I went to play again and continue my progress was lost so lesson learned there, lol.

If all this has already been addressed please ignore me.

Lugia2009

• View Profile
« Reply #983 on: November 07, 2012, 07:33:40 am »
Not sure if this has been brought up already or not, it seems that my magic in the menus is displayed wrong:

It's not displayed wrong, there are two types of magic levels.

The first one is for the Materia itself, when the materia levels up, a new magic spell is learned. For you, the bolt materia is on level 1. Once it reaches level 2, you will learn a new spell with that materia.

The second one is for each individual magic spell for that materia. As the spell levels up, the power of that spell increases.

Also I don't know if it is supposed to work this way or not, but when saving the game using the in-game function it doesn't seem to stay saved after I close out the emulator. It does however stay if I reset the game and then continue. Again I don't know if that is how it is supposed to work or not but it isn't too much of an issue if I use save states obviously. I know the first time I was trying the game I used the in-game save, and when I went to play again and continue my progress was lost so lesson learned there, lol.

I actually have had the same problem when using FCEUX on my computer. But on my PSP and Wii emulators, the in-game save function work just fine.
So, I just use save states when playing the game on the computer.

InfamousKnight

• View Profile
« Reply #984 on: November 08, 2012, 03:55:49 pm »
So do I. I really don't save my game. I just use save states since apparently the programmers were too lazy to write all those bytes to memory sector. Just imagine playing this on the original NES console. The chinese version too. They really fucked this game up. You guys are fixing this game up :)

Lugia2009

• View Profile
« Reply #985 on: November 08, 2012, 07:57:11 pm »
So do I. I really don't save my game. I just use save states since apparently the programmers were too lazy to write all those bytes to memory sector. Just imagine playing this on the original NES console. The chinese version too. They really fucked this game up.

The save function does work, just not on the computer emulator. For the emulator on the Wii and PSP, the save function works fine.

Red Dragon and Demon Gate are finished:

These are both modified versions of Sirasu and his group's sprites.

November 09, 2012, 05:51:34 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
Midgar Zolom and Sephiroth are finished:

This is a slightly modified version of Sirasu and his group's sprite

This Sephiroth sprite was also done by Sirasu and his group, but it's been modified quite a bit.
The original version of Sephiroth was larger and he had his coat and wing.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2012, 05:51:38 pm by Lugia2009 »

InfamousKnight

• View Profile
« Reply #986 on: November 09, 2012, 11:25:11 pm »
I like the Demon Gate sprite. That other demon gate looked NOTHING like a gate nor demon whatsoever. I guess the next area is that freakin maze? You know, Temple of the Ancients. You guys should add the time guardian. That guy was pretty fun. Plus the chase after that wizard dude. That temple of the ancients needs some work. However, it was still a little annoying in the original as well but this one went just too mazey. Plus, why was it in like space? Don't get me wrong with how cool a purple galaxy looks. :)

Malias

• View Profile
« Reply #987 on: November 10, 2012, 02:54:19 am »
It looks like Sephiroth is lying down...
The great achievement is to lose one's reason for no reason, and to let my lady know that if I can do this without cause, what should I do if there were cause?
     ~Don Quixote~

Zoinkity

• View Profile
« Reply #988 on: November 10, 2012, 02:05:02 pm »
The problem is that your emulator doesn't have the appropriate privledges to either write or update your save file.  You can run it as admin or set the properties for the save folder. 

If you do it from the folder route, right-click (or alt+left click) it to open properties, select security, choose edit, select Users, and tick 'write' + 'modify' or 'full control' and apply.

vince94

• View Profile
« Reply #989 on: November 11, 2012, 11:56:53 pm »
Hello! I just found this thread and it is awesome to see the progress that has been made with this!
I have experience in hex and graphics editing, and I'd love to help if you are still trying to improve the game.

dACE

• View Profile
« Reply #990 on: November 12, 2012, 02:53:20 am »
Hi,

I’d love for someone to look-into the enemy sprite graphics being messed up.

As far as I can see it only happens when there are 3 different kinds of enemies present at once (but this might be an assumption).
Since the sprites are messed up with bits and pieces of the enemy’s translated name – it would appear as if the replacement of the Chinese characters have something to do with the messed up graphics?

Can anybody confirm that the enemy sprites are being scrambled on the Chinese original cart/rom?
If so – are the enemy sprites being corrupted with what seems to be Chinese characters?

Keep the momentum going Lugia!

Br,
dACE

SageOwl

• View Profile
« Reply #991 on: November 12, 2012, 10:07:14 am »
It looks like Sephiroth is lying down...
He needs speed lines.

Vanya

• View Profile
« Reply #992 on: November 12, 2012, 03:56:41 pm »
Midgardsormr and Red Dragon look the best. That's what the rest of the sprites should strive for.  And I agree Sephi looks tired.

Garoth Moulinoski

• Disliking that smoke.
    • View Profile
    • My Stuff including Super Smash Karts.
« Reply #993 on: November 12, 2012, 05:01:34 pm »
Maybe Sephiroth would look less campy if he wasn't three times bigger than the party? I know that's standard fare as far as human enemies go in 2D Final Fantasy games, but still... You have to draw the line somewhere.

That and there's nothing to let anyone know that he's actually standing. His legs look like they're resting on the ground. Meh.
Who will quote me next?
Disclaimer: If it sounds wrong, I may have been posting while asleep.

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #994 on: November 12, 2012, 05:32:37 pm »
He'd look better in a more upright position.
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

Dizzy9

• View Profile
« Reply #995 on: November 12, 2012, 05:49:46 pm »
@Dizzy9

There is something I wanted to know if you could look at. For the enemy difficulty settings on the world map, the map is cut in half and overlapped so two areas have the same difficulty setting. This causes a huge drop and increase in enemy difficulty in many areas.

The settings for the world map are at 0x026f4f-0x02704e.

And there is a set of bytes that may be unused at 0x02704f-0x02714e.

This is just enough space to allow the other half of the world map to have it's own difficulty settings.

So I wanted to know if it would be possible.
I honestly have no idea. Debugger can't catch any trace of the data you  pointed. Also when I changed every byte in the data to all 00. Nothing changed in the game.I tried FF, 7F and 54 values. Monster are not weaker in any way. I tested it in Reactor area, "after the train scene" area and   other area that I have no idea how to name. I can't find anything about it in your or Lindblum notes. How you have found that data? Or maybe my areas are wrong or something?

Garoth Moulinoski

• Disliking that smoke.
    • View Profile
« Reply #996 on: November 12, 2012, 05:54:25 pm »

I agree with this.
Who will quote me next?

vince94

• View Profile
« Reply #997 on: November 12, 2012, 06:26:36 pm »
Just to see if I could find anything, I looked at the ROM with YY-CHR, but I couldn't find the enemy graphics.
Side note, I noticed that some of the songs only use the two tinny square wave channels - is this just the way the game was programmed or can we improve it?

Lugia2009

• View Profile
« Reply #998 on: November 12, 2012, 08:31:07 pm »
I honestly have no idea. Debugger can't catch any trace of the data you  pointed. Also when I changed every byte in the data to all 00. Nothing changed in the game.I tried FF, 7F and 54 values. Monster are not weaker in any way. I tested it in Reactor area, "after the train scene" area and   other area that I have no idea how to name. I can't find anything about it in your or Lindblum notes. How you have found that data? Or maybe my areas are wrong or something?

I used the Code Data Logger. I turned it on, then initiated a fight and the code data logger highlighted the enemy difficulty for that particular area and the coding for it.

Here's all of the locations and their settings:

Bridge Leading to Reactor---01 03

26ea7-26ea8

Inside Reactor----02 05

26ea9-26eaa

Deeper inside reactor----04 08

26eab-26eac

Before Guard scorpion----05 0a

26ead-26eae

1st Town----08 0a

26eb3-26eb4

Tunnel----0a 0e

26eb9-26eba

Area Leading to reactor 2----0c 0e

26ebb-26ebc

Reactor 2----0c 0f

26ebd-26ebe

Outside of Church----0c 10

26ec1-26ec2

Area before Aerith's town----0e 12

26ec3-26ec4

Area before wall market w/playground----10 14

26ec7-26ec8

Area before wall market----10 14

26f47-26f48

Area outside of Don's mansion----12 14

26ecd-26ece

Sewer----14 16

26ed1-26ed2

Train Graveyard----16 18

26ed3-26ed4

Pillar----19 1c

26ed5-26ed6

Wire Climbing---14 16

26ed7-26ed8

Floor 65 Shinra HQ----1c 1e

26ee7-26ee8

Floor 66 Shinra HQ----1c 20

26ee9-26eea

Floor 67 Shinra HQ----1e 20

26eeb-26eec

Floor 68 Shinra HQ----1e 20

26eed-26eee

Floor 69 Shinra HQ----1e 20

26eef-26ef0

Road Leading Out of Midgar----20 23

26ef5-25ef6

Midgar-Kalm------25 2a

Chocobo Farm-Junon-----2a 2f

Mithril Mines----2e 2e

26efd-26efe

Junon Beach----2e 2e

26f01-26f02

Junon Shinra Area----26 2d

26f03-26f04

Junon Harbor----26 2d

26f05-26f06

Near Costa Del Sol:----3F 45

Near Gold Saucer:----3F 45

Coral Desert----3f 45

26f13-26f14

Coral Desert 2----3f 45

26f15-26f16

Near North Coral:----3F 45

Near Gongaga----55 5a

Near Cosmo Canyon----5a 5f

Inside Cosmo Canyon----5a 5f

26f1b-26f1c

Near Nibelheim:----5a 5f

Between Nibelheim and
Rocket Town:---------65 6a

Near Rocket Town:----65 6a

Ocean----6a 6f

Near Temple of Ancients---6f 75

Temple of Ancients----75 7a

26f25-26f26

Inside Temple of Ancients----75 7a

26f27-26f28

Bone Village----7f 7F

Sleeping Forest----7f 7F

26f2b-26f2c

City of Ancients----8a 7F

In city of Ancients----8a 7F

26f2d-26f2e

Icicle Inn----8f 7F

Snow Fields----8f 7F

26f33-26f34

Near Gaea's Cliff----a0 7F

Gaea's Cliff----a0 7F

26f35-26f36

Unused----63 64

World Map----Varies by screen

26f4f-2704e

Unused (Could be used as world map)

2704f-2714e

Hello! I just found this thread and it is awesome to see the progress that has been made with this!
I have experience in hex and graphics editing, and I'd love to help if you are still trying to improve the game.

That would be great, thank you :)
If you'd like to work on the enemy graphics, I can PM the pics of some enemy graphics that need to be created.

Just to see if I could find anything, I looked at the ROM with YY-CHR, but I couldn't find the enemy graphics.

The enemy graphics begin at 0x00197FC6

Side note, I noticed that some of the songs only use the two tinny square wave channels - is this just the way the game was programmed or can we improve it?

Unfortunately, to make room for this game's large soundtrack, one or two wave channels had to be sacrificed to allow enough space to fit in as many songs as possible. If there were much more space for this game's songs, then I would have more freedom to improve the song's quality.

But this game was originally only meant to have 8 songs, so not a great deal of space was made for the music.

No problem. I'll fix him.

I’d love for someone to look-into the enemy sprite graphics being messed up.

As far as I can see it only happens when there are 3 different kinds of enemies present at once (but this might be an assumption).
Since the sprites are messed up with bits and pieces of the enemy’s translated name – it would appear as if the replacement of the Chinese characters have something to do with the messed up graphics?

Can anybody confirm that the enemy sprites are being scrambled on the Chinese original cart/rom?
If so – are the enemy sprites being corrupted with what seems to be Chinese characters?

I believe I may have an idea of how to fix this, but I'm really not sure at all. It's more like a guess.
I do plan on looking into this when I start working on the non-boss enemy graphics.

But if it does happen only when there are 3 different enemies on the screen, then I can just alter the enemy parties to limit them to just 2 per group.

Keep the momentum going Lugia!

Will do!  :thumbsup:

The back of Cosmo Canyon Cave is finished:

Garoth Moulinoski

• Disliking that smoke.
    • View Profile
« Reply #999 on: November 12, 2012, 09:11:10 pm »
Huh. Although I like what you did with the moon and whatnot, Red XIII's father looks alive in the right screenshot. Looks like he's ready to pounce at the moon. Hmm. Maybe it's the red? Maybe I'll look up a screenshot of the original and see if I'm not spouting nonsense.

Edit: I lack proper searching techniquery to find what I am going on about, therefore, I pray that someone better than me comes along and can shed better lighting into this situation. Sorry very much. (I hope you read that in a sad, disappointed Russian accent).
Who will quote me next?