News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Final Fantasy VII NES Project (Completed!)  (Read 763087 times)

SageOwl

• View Profile
Re: Final Fantasy VII NES Project
« Reply #620 on: July 07, 2012, 12:38:18 am »
That's a great way to look at things.
I agree. I'm just disappointed that the second half of the 2nd disc and the entirety of the third disc weren't included in the game. Most of those RPG maker games are pretty... well half assed due to maker's limitations as well, so I guess the trade off is justified.
Would love to see the game expanded in this upgrade, but hell, beggars can't be choosers.

Nerd42

• View Profile
    • DJ Nerd42
« Reply #621 on: July 07, 2012, 12:43:54 am »
Wow, I didn't realize so much of it was missing.

Can't you just hack it to at least stick the final battle on the end somehow?

Lugia2009

• Yes that was a banana. No one expects the banana
    • View Profile
« Reply #622 on: July 07, 2012, 07:35:34 am »
The game does have the final boss battles. You still fight Bizarro Sephiroth, Safer Sephiroth, and Sephiroth. And the game does have events and dialogue from the 2nd and 3rd discs of the game to bring the story to a close.
Parts of the game were just cut out.

Also the Materia Tree is the name given to the place where the Weapons are and where Cloud hands over the Black Materia to the real Sephiroth.

July 07, 2012, 07:41:29 am - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
Also, the game doesn't end at the Materia Tree, right after that Cloud and the others enter the Life Stream which is where the final scenes and battles of the game take place.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2012, 07:41:29 am by Lugia2009 »

Garoth Moulinoski

• Disliking that smoke.
    • View Profile
    • My Stuff including Super Smash Karts.
« Reply #623 on: July 07, 2012, 09:26:33 am »
I agree. I'm just disappointed that the second half of the 2nd disc and the entirety of the third disc weren't included in the game. Most of those RPG maker games are pretty... well half assed due to maker's limitations as well, so I guess the trade off is justified.
Would love to see the game expanded in this upgrade, but hell, beggars can't be choosers.

I'm pretty sure you could still make a decent FF7 clone in RPG Maker, if you use it imaginatively. It'll just be hard, but then again, when you're remaking a big game like FF7, which had a giant staff, I can't think anyone would think it would easy...
Who will quote me next?
Disclaimer: If it sounds wrong, I may have been posting while asleep.

SargeSmash

• View Profile
« Reply #624 on: July 07, 2012, 06:57:58 pm »
Really, I can envision an 8-bit version of Chrono Trigger as well.  It's just a question of how much you'd have to sacrifice to get it there.  It'd be a hard task, but ultimately doable.  (Unless someone else here with more technical chops on the NES can inform me of something that CT does in gameplay / battle that would not be possible to duplicate, aside from the obvious graphical and sound limitations.)
For what shall it profit a man, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?  -- Mark 8:36

syntax error

• View Profile
« Reply #625 on: July 07, 2012, 07:46:40 pm »
A really bad  CT ROM where you fight against Pocket Monsters(!) was tested by a blogger.

Nerd42

• View Profile
    • DJ Nerd42
« Reply #626 on: July 07, 2012, 09:06:42 pm »
Nes Chrono Trigger was Chrono Trigger in name only. Not like this. Not enough there to even use as a starting point in my opinion.

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #627 on: July 07, 2012, 09:47:47 pm »
A really bad  CT ROM where you fight against Pocket Monsters(!) was tested by a blogger.
It was D, and he's probably more qualified to review it than most of us since he can read Chinese and English (as well as Japanese). :)
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

SageOwl

• View Profile
« Reply #628 on: July 08, 2012, 11:21:46 am »
Nes Chrono Trigger was Chrono Trigger in name only. Not like this. Not enough there to even use as a starting point in my opinion.
You could fit the entirety of Chrono Trigger's main storyline into a NES rom however.
A Chinese NES version of it does sound terrible, worse then some of the RPG maker versions. Also, inb4 cease and desist from Square.

SargeSmash

• View Profile
« Reply #629 on: July 08, 2012, 08:27:29 pm »
You could fit the entirety of Chrono Trigger's main storyline into a NES rom however.
A Chinese NES version of it does sound terrible, worse then some of the RPG maker versions. Also, inb4 cease and desist from Square.
That's mostly my point.  It obviously wouldn't look that good, probably the best one could expect is Final Fantasy on NES, but I think one could implement both the ATB system and the positional aspects of the battle system.  Outside of that, it'd look more like a typical NES RPG, but that might not be so terrible.

I definitely wouldn't look at these Chinese carts as a representation of what is doable, who knows what they're doing in there.  And likely not efficiently, to boot.
For what shall it profit a man, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?  -- Mark 8:36

marioxb

• View Profile
« Reply #630 on: July 11, 2012, 03:26:04 pm »
Is there any way to see a side by side comparison of everything you changed/ will change? I've never played any version of this (not even PS1) yet, but judging by youtube video's someone else merely translated from Chinese to English and you overhauled the graphics and maps? Is that about right? I'm looking for something along the lines of how some people have split screen Star Wars comparisons of various versions.

Nerd42

• View Profile
    • DJ Nerd42
« Reply #631 on: July 11, 2012, 05:56:37 pm »
Still no remake but they are re-releasing Final Fantasy VII for the PC, now with cloud save (LOL, double meaning, saving your Cloud in the cloud) and crappy Steam-like achievements! http://finalfantasyviipc.com/

I hope this doesn't lead to another round of their Scientology-worshiping Barbra Streisand loving shark lawyers in the North American Squeenix legal department attacking the internets anytime any of their trademarked terms comes up in searches again, cause that would be bad news for this project here.

Chpexo

• View Profile
« Reply #632 on: July 12, 2012, 01:45:40 pm »
We should probably encourage people to buy the original Final Fantasy VII before playing this one just to be safe but...

Unless we get a good president then it is bad news, though I do not see any promising candidates.

Nerd42

• View Profile
    • DJ Nerd42
« Reply #633 on: July 12, 2012, 02:33:24 pm »
Unless we get a good president then it is bad news
We might get a relatively less bad president but a good president is not happening this time around. But I wasn't trying to bring up the elections

Vanya

• View Profile
« Reply #634 on: July 12, 2012, 09:12:53 pm »
Square will have no grounds for cease & desist against this project being as it is a ROM hack of a Chinese knock-off. Since I doubt they'd be able to sue you for modifying code that they don't own it should be fine. And using their characters & story should be protected by fan-work laws. That is presuming you don't try to sell it.

Lugia2009

• View Profile
« Reply #635 on: July 12, 2012, 10:02:48 pm »
Is there any way to see a side by side comparison of everything you changed/ will change? I've never played any version of this (not even PS1) yet, but judging by youtube video's someone else merely translated from Chinese to English and you overhauled the graphics and maps? Is that about right?

There's more changes to the game than just the graphics, maps, and translation. The music, character/enemy stats, and some other gameplay changes were also made to this game.

I'm looking for something along the lines of how some people have split screen Star Wars comparisons of various versions.

Many of the map pics I posted have before and after pictures of the same maps.

Still no remake but they are re-releasing Final Fantasy VII for the PC, now with cloud save (LOL, double meaning, saving your Cloud in the cloud) and crappy Steam-like achievements! http://finalfantasyviipc.com/

I wonder how much this game would cost, they should at least make some improvements and additions to the game rather than just re-releasing the same game over and over.
The first Final Fantasy came out multiple times for multiple systems and at least saw some improvements and additions.

Square will have no grounds for cease & desist against this project being as it is a ROM hack of a Chinese knock-off. Since I doubt they'd be able to sue you for modifying code that they don't own it should be fine. And using their characters & story should be protected by fan-work laws. That is presuming you don't try to sell it.

That's good to hear, and don't worry, I've no interest in profiting off of this project. Just doing something I've always wanted to do is rewarding enough.

Costa Del Sol is done:

Miksy91

• View Profile
« Reply #636 on: July 13, 2012, 09:44:39 am »
M A G N I F I C E N T  :thumbsup:

Amazing work as always!
Pokemon Dark Energy is a rom hack based on Pokemon Silver. Like most pokemon hacks, it retains the pokemon stylish gameplay but has plenty of elements from other RPGs as well. You'd better check it out!

SageOwl

• View Profile
« Reply #637 on: July 13, 2012, 10:39:00 am »
You know dumb people will waste 50-60 dollars on that piece of trash just like how people wasted 50-60 dollars on that 3D release of Ocarina of Time. With enough advertising they could rake in a butt load of cash around the world.

Lugia2009

• View Profile
« Reply #638 on: July 13, 2012, 11:08:10 am »
M A G N I F I C E N T   :thumbsup:

Amazing work as always!

Thank you  :)

You know dumb people will waste 50-60 dollars on that piece of trash just like how people wasted 50-60 dollars on that 3D release of Ocarina of Time. With enough advertising they could rake in a butt load of cash around the world.

I actually want to get the 3D Ocarina of Time when I get a 3DS, at least the graphics were improved along with the 3D addition. I'm just hoping the price will drop down to around $20.
I would buy something like that if it was giving a fresh feeling to the classic game. If it was just a re-release of the original game with nothing new then I would just play my N64 version instead rather than waste the money.

Garoth Moulinoski

• Disliking that smoke.
    • View Profile
    • My Stuff including Super Smash Karts.
« Reply #639 on: July 13, 2012, 11:34:17 am »
Thank you  :)

I actually want to get the 3D Ocarina of Time when I get a 3DS, at least the graphics were improved along with the 3D addition. I'm just hoping the price will drop down to around $20.
I would buy something like that if it was giving a fresh feeling to the classic game. If it was just a re-release of the original game with nothing new then I would just play my N64 version instead rather than waste the money.

Well, it's almost the same game but...

*Some character models look nicer
*It has 3D(!!!), so you can see the depth in the game. It genuinely feels like you're traversing vast fields.
*It's two games in one... If you count Master Quest being a separate game. Even then, Master Quest is mirrored and enemies deal more damage (supposedly).
*Water Temple has some pretty lights that tell you where the water controls' rooms can be. It doesn't make it any harder.

This Mirrored Master Quest and the 3D were my favorite parts... y'know... If you wanted to know... :P
Who will quote me next?
Disclaimer: If it sounds wrong, I may have been posting while asleep.