News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Final Fantasy VII NES Project (Completed!)  (Read 755055 times)

vivify93

• Submission Reviewer
  • Guardian of Mystery
    • View Profile
Re: Final Fantasy VII NES Project (Completed!)
« Reply #1480 on: November 16, 2013, 02:24:47 pm »
Shouldn't the Earth elemental spells be Quake, not Stone? After all, the original game did have a Quake materia, and it still fits for the character limits.
The NES version of FFVII's materia, typically, has two spell sets: Four single-target spells, each one stronger than the last, and four multi-target spells, also getting successively more powerful. "Rock", as it was named before, was the single-target earth magic. Quake is the multi-target earth magic. I suggested Stone since it's an ability in FFXI and FFXIV, and it does much the same thing that "Rock" does: single-target earth-elemental magic damage. It even has its own line of Stone, Stonera, Stonega, and Stoneja.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2013, 03:02:17 pm by vivify93 »
All my life I've tried to fight what history has given me.

Nerd42

• View Profile
    • DJ Nerd42
« Reply #1481 on: November 17, 2013, 12:25:48 pm »
Congradulations on getting this done!! :D

This is exciting! I want to get it working on Android.

If it's possible to distribute it with any patches that help it work on more platforms, that'd be a good idea I think. ;)
« Last Edit: November 17, 2013, 12:33:54 pm by Nerd42 »

turkey

• View Profile
« Reply #1482 on: November 17, 2013, 12:26:53 pm »
Hi I have a question. This is really great thank you for all the work you did. I just wanted to know if there are supposed to be area specific enemies during random battles. Cause I remember when I was a kid playing FF7 in that first part of the game you fight robots in that power plant at the beginning of the game. I just wanna make sure the patch worked correctly. Cause everything seems okay except during random fights I'll have to fight things like those cactus guys (cactaurs) and like those big flower guys. They're not supposed to be there right? I'm still in the power plant at the beginning I just wanted to make sure I got the patch to work correctly.

vivify93

• Submission Reviewer
  • Guardian of Mystery
    • View Profile
« Reply #1483 on: November 17, 2013, 12:41:40 pm »
I'm no expert on this game's inner workings, turkey, but I believe at the moment there's no way to put specific enemies for random encounters in any one place. The patch should have worked just fine!

Nerd42

• View Profile
    • DJ Nerd42
« Reply #1484 on: November 17, 2013, 12:57:21 pm »
Nesoid just gives a blank screen. :( I'm gonna try a NES core for RetroArch next

shulbocka

• View Profile
« Reply #1485 on: November 17, 2013, 03:08:10 pm »
Hey Lugia, would it be possible for you to maybe change the 163 mapper that's causing this game to not work for at least 75% of the people attempting to play it, to something else that's actually compatible with at least most emulators. I'm just curious if you could do that, or if it would just screw up your whole game if you did. It's just weird that all your betas have worked up until the final release, so it seems the mapper 163 must've been added just to the final release since it's the only version that won't load. It's literally the only nes game I haven't been able to get to run. I don't know, I just really wish most of us could play this cause I've been more excited about this game than even my xbox one I'm getting. This game poops on the xbox one.

syntax error

• View Profile
« Reply #1486 on: November 17, 2013, 03:27:19 pm »
Mapper 163 is a classification for the chip present on the chinese cart and how it connects to the CPU.
I assume this game doesn't run on my old PowerPC Mac because of a bug somewhere else.

Daft

« Reply #1487 on: November 17, 2013, 04:02:49 pm »
Congradulations on getting this done!! :D

This is exciting! I want to get it working on Android.

If it's possible to distribute it with any patches that help it work on more platforms, that'd be a good idea I think. ;)

Nostalgia.NES works.

Blasteroid

• View Profile
« Reply #1488 on: November 17, 2013, 07:06:57 pm »
Hey Lugia, would it be possible for you to maybe change the 163 mapper that's causing this game to not work for at least 75% of the people attempting to play it, to something else that's actually compatible with at least most emulators.

many emulators support mapper 163. for more on what a NES mapper is, give THIS, THIS, and THIS a read.

try loading a clean copy of the game into emus that support mapper 163 and you should not have any issues. the problem seems to be with the latest patch. nestopia, for example, loads the patched game to a black screen. yet View > Image info shows that the ROM is loaded, that soft patching is enabled (on-the-fly IPS patching, a requirement of Nestopia 1.40), and that mapper 163 is being used. After a save is present, NesDS also loads to a black screen. however, with NesDS if you simply toggle the "Pure Soft" graphic mode, the image will display again.

@Lugia2009 you may want to consider removing the english translation patch from your archive. i am reading about a lot of people who are having issues because they applied both patches. you have to assume that a majority of people are not going to read your readme, and those that do may not reach the end. i think it is great that you are showing respect to the original project by including that file, but that file is not part of your project. at the very least, consider putting that patch in its own directory with its own readme file.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2013, 07:35:41 pm by Blasteroid »

mrrichard999

• So Goooood! :D
    • View Profile
    • GameFAQS Profile

shulbocka

• View Profile
« Reply #1490 on: November 18, 2013, 01:20:36 am »
many emulators support mapper 163. for more on what a NES mapper is, give THIS, THIS, and THIS a read.

try loading a clean copy of the game into emus that support mapper 163 and you should not have any issues. the problem seems to be with the latest patch. nestopia, for example, loads the patched game to a black screen. yet View > Image info shows that the ROM is loaded, that soft patching is enabled (on-the-fly IPS patching, a requirement of Nestopia 1.40), and that mapper 163 is being used. After a save is present, NesDS also loads to a black screen. however, with NesDS if you simply toggle the "Pure Soft" graphic mode, the image will display again.

Thanks for all the info man, I appreciate a good read. I just kept reading that a lot of people were having trouble running the rom, and I didn't understand the use mapper 163. I have used a successfully patched rom and it does work on the pc emulator I tested it on, but I'm using NestopiaX for xbox, so I think it might be slightly different then the pc version. I didn't think to try toggling the graphic mode though, I'm gonna give that a test right now. Thanks again.

syntax error

• View Profile
« Reply #1491 on: November 18, 2013, 05:48:17 am »
Earlier patches worked flawless on NEStopia on PowerPC 7400.

turkey

• View Profile
« Reply #1492 on: November 18, 2013, 03:19:02 pm »
Man this game is hard. I bought 20 potions so I could beat the second reactor part. I need better weapons or something.

vivify93

• Submission Reviewer
  • Guardian of Mystery
    • View Profile
« Reply #1493 on: November 18, 2013, 03:34:40 pm »
Lugia2009, not to be rude or picky or anything, but has an updated patch with the new spell names been released? I know this makes me sound like a huge fuckin' nerd, but the spell names bug me so much that I haven't been playing FFVII NES despite really wanting to.

Nerd42

• View Profile
    • DJ Nerd42
« Reply #1494 on: November 18, 2013, 06:19:18 pm »
I really think you should call this hack "Final Fantasy VII NES" not "Final Fantasy VII Advent Children NES" because somebody at some point is probably going to make an NES game based on the storyline from the film and you're gonna feel like a wanker. :D (that was a CollegeBinary reference, if anybody didn't get it)

turkey

• View Profile
« Reply #1495 on: November 19, 2013, 12:46:52 am »
I just left Midgar I'm having fun playing this remake. For a long time I wanted to play Final Fantasy VII again. I'm happy that someone posted this on reddit. This remake is fantastic. :laugh:

Lugia2009

• Yes that was a banana. No one expects the banana
    • View Profile
« Reply #1496 on: November 19, 2013, 07:50:47 pm »
Good news!  I uploaded a new patch to the RHDN database that changes the magic names, item descriptions, and an issue I found with 7 of the optional bosses in the game.

AND best of all! Dizzy9 has sent me a patch that not only adds damage animations to the battle system, but also fixes the issue this game has with the Nestopia emulator!

The new version is 1.1

Here's pics of the damage sprites:

Here's the patch, same as before, it needs to be patched over the original untouched chinese version of the game.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/23698591/Final%20Fantasy%20VII%20Advent%20Children%20Ver%201.1.rar

Dizzy9 says he's been able to play the game on Nestopia up to the second reactor and during the Airbuster fight with no issues.  He also says this fix may enable the game to be played on other emulators that have had black screen issues too.

I just left Midgar I'm having fun playing this remake. For a long time I wanted to play Final Fantasy VII again. I'm happy that someone posted this on reddit. This remake is fantastic. :laugh:

Thank you, Glad you're enjoying it :)

vivify93

• Submission Reviewer
  • Guardian of Mystery
    • View Profile
« Reply #1497 on: November 19, 2013, 08:16:37 pm »
Good news!  I uploaded a new patch to the RHDN database that changes the magic names, item descriptions, and an issue I found with 7 of the optional bosses in the game.
Thank you so much, I have wanted to get back to this for days.

shulbocka

• View Profile
« Reply #1498 on: November 19, 2013, 08:24:02 pm »

AND best of all! Dizzy9 has sent me a patch that not only adds damage animations to the battle system, but also fixes the issue this game has with the Nestopia emulator!

Thank you very much Lugia and Dizzy9, you guys have made my whole month! I've been checking back here at least 4 times a day since the last release keeping faith that someone would figure out the black screen issue preventing a lot of people from being able to play this. Seriously, thanks to both of you. Also especially happy about the updated names and descriptions. You're all awesome.

turkey

• View Profile
« Reply #1499 on: November 19, 2013, 08:46:09 pm »
I installed the new version and my save state still works so that's good.