News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Final Fantasy VII NES Project (Completed!)  (Read 754790 times)

Terr

• View Profile
Re: Final Fantasy VII NES Project
« Reply #1220 on: April 14, 2013, 09:58:57 pm »
Some of these maps are difficult to work with since many of the palettes have to work together with each other.  And since some areas are so detailed, I have to find a way for the colors to add to the detail while also blending into the other parts of the map.

O.K. I know it is very invidious work, therefore I appreciate any your (and everybody who help you) efforts. But in case if somebody would like work on cliff wall I prepared random patterns for cliff tiles references from various games. Maybe someone create better looking alternative.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2013, 10:07:43 pm by Terr »

Lugia2009

• Yes that was a banana. No one expects the banana
    • View Profile
« Reply #1221 on: April 14, 2013, 10:02:37 pm »
@M_tee Although Cloud strife is a weak spirited character who is haunted by his tragic past and his failed dream. He does become stronger and eventually overcomes his past and his greatest fears.  And he may be weak, his battle skills, however, say otherwise.  Have you ever seen him in battle in the original?  He's a skilled fighter who is also a decent magic user.

M-Tee

• One pixel at a time…
    • View Profile
    • M-Tee Retro Graphics
« Reply #1222 on: April 14, 2013, 10:34:17 pm »
The point wasn't about his character in story, it was about his (original, PSX) design. He is pencil-thin with nearly no muscle, doe-eyed, a weak-pointed chin, and a disproportionately large head for such a lanky body:

I understand these are common features in anime, but the aesthetic never clicked with me. (I was the type of kid that preferred the muscle-bound barbarian look of the original Castlevania coverart and in turn didn't enjoy games like SOtN, which I felt had effeminate looking characters.)

Regardless of preference or not, Cloud is inarguably a lanky character by design, in contrast to say Barrett, so I was saying that his representation in game should reflect that... and using a sprite-edit of the much more muscle-bound Warrior's battle stance from FF1 seems unrepresentative of the character. (talking about the battle stances here, not the walking sprites)

EDIT: Image added for clarity
« Last Edit: April 15, 2013, 12:41:21 am by M_tee »

Chpexo

• View Profile
« Reply #1223 on: April 14, 2013, 10:52:22 pm »
I think we should stop this discussion. Though it may seem like a harmless exchange of ideas, it can get bitter quick. And we don't want that on a project page do we? People are entitled to their opinions and it's everyone's job to respect them.:police:

M-Tee

• One pixel at a time…
    • View Profile
    • M-Tee Retro Graphics
« Reply #1224 on: April 15, 2013, 12:34:13 am »
I assure you that bitterness in or from my comments have not been intended. Quite frankly, I haven't interpreted anything in the conversation as bitter or even personal. My comments were intended to be of the type, "X is not working because of Y reason," offered constructive, bluntly, and objectively.. and lead to exactly the type of discussion that I appreciate in my own work.

If you somehow feel it was personal, perhaps there was a misunderstanding. Perhaps I wasn't clear, when I said:

The point wasn't about his character in story, it was about his design...

I was talking about his original design from the playstation and related promotional art, not from the sprites in game.

Other than that, I don't see anything that could have been misconstrued, and I do recall respectively acknowledging Lugia's disagreement on the reduction of detail for clarity... so I'm not quite sure exactly what direction you thought the conversation was taking to feel the need to police it.

Nerd42

• View Profile
    • DJ Nerd42
« Reply #1225 on: April 15, 2013, 01:01:09 am »
You're looking at this all wrong. The goal here isn't to make a PS1 game. :banghead: It's very simple.

Q: If Cloud Strife were a character in Final Fantasy 1, which class would he be?

A: Fighter.

End of story.

M-Tee

• One pixel at a time…
    • View Profile
    • M-Tee Retro Graphics
« Reply #1226 on: April 15, 2013, 01:28:27 am »
Then my view of the goal of the project was incorrect. If it is to interpret FF7 as if it were an immediate sequel to FF1, utilizing the same art style and class system, then I see you're approach. The FF1 artstyle would take priority.

I was viewing it as an accurate-as-possible NES imterpretation of the psx game without regard of the NES predecessors, in which case visual similarity to the original character designs would have taken priority over designs created for different characters in a different game.

syntax error

• View Profile
« Reply #1227 on: April 15, 2013, 05:04:39 am »
I saw this one man project going from FF7 in FF3 to something that used more of the scattered 2MB ROM to push the edge.I liked the idea to help it getting impressive like the new homebrew NES titles.
Have not gotten myself around to write a Snowboard,Chocobo Racing and G-Bike patch in CC65, fitting that into a 32KB ROM bank and find RAM for variables.

Now if that's going back to FF1 look then it needs the typical battle background stripes.

Zynk

• WIP Roll-chan: The Wily Wars
    • View Profile
« Reply #1228 on: April 15, 2013, 07:37:48 am »
I wanna join in the fray!  8)
Here's my take on them sprites; it's simple Ghost Lion-style!

Terr

• View Profile
« Reply #1229 on: April 15, 2013, 12:21:57 pm »
Zynk Oxhyde your characters sprites are really good... I mean - WOW! One request however, could you post other characters sprites too? I would be delighted, so please do it...
« Last Edit: April 19, 2013, 12:44:38 am by Terr »

ChronoMoogle

• Super Famicom all the way.
    • View Profile
    • SNESfreaks
« Reply #1230 on: April 15, 2013, 12:29:07 pm »
Using black as a background AND graphic color has always been a bad idea.
Neat work about the hair, even though 2 different colors could make it a litlle bit better.
About the faces and bodies... well. Please don't change the NPC style to this, Lugia.  :-\

Terr

• View Profile
« Reply #1231 on: April 15, 2013, 12:49:37 pm »
Using black as a background AND graphic color has always been a bad idea.
Neat work about the hair, even though 2 different colors could make it a litlle bit better.
About the faces and bodies... well. Please don't change the NPC style to this, Lugia.  :-\

Form me Zynk Oxhyde's alternative is a pixel-art mastery. Of course I neither would suggest these sprites (however I would like new game in this convention), but they're still fine piece of work. You know, just like those sprites.

Jeville

• View Profile
« Reply #1232 on: April 15, 2013, 02:56:29 pm »
I understand these are common features in anime, but the aesthetic never clicked with me. (I was the type of kid that preferred the muscle-bound barbarian look of the original Castlevania coverart and in turn didn't enjoy games like SOtN, which I felt had effeminate looking characters.)

Regardless of preference or not, Cloud is inarguably a lanky character by design, in contrast to say Barrett, so I was saying that his representation in game should reflect that... and using a sprite-edit of the much more muscle-bound Warrior's battle stance from FF1 seems unrepresentative of the character. (talking about the battle stances here, not the walking sprites)
Don't let the look deceive you. Mako energy...Jenova cells... Both played a part in his strength. Like you said, you've never played FF7. So rather than looking at his battle sprites as an inaccurate display of his appearance, look at them as an accurate display of strength he does happen to possess. I see no issue.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2013, 03:10:39 pm by Jeville »

detox420

• View Profile
« Reply #1233 on: April 15, 2013, 03:51:55 pm »
I love all of you for the record.

Bregalad

• View Profile
« Reply #1234 on: April 15, 2013, 04:00:39 pm »
He is pencil-thin with nearly no muscle
Pardon me but I can see large biceps on the very picture you posted.

Vanya

• View Profile
« Reply #1235 on: April 15, 2013, 06:50:37 pm »
I must respectfully disagree. I dunno what biceps you're lookin' at, but those are not large by any measure. Mine are bigger than that and I hardly ever exercise at all.

mrrichard999

• So Goooood! :D
    • View Profile
    • GameFAQS Profile
« Reply #1236 on: April 15, 2013, 07:37:48 pm »
Wow, looking good :D

Bregalad

• View Profile
« Reply #1237 on: April 16, 2013, 02:57:37 am »
I dunno what biceps you're lookin' at
The ones on the picture of Cloud that was posted here.
Mine are bigger than that and I hardly ever exercise at all.
If you happen to have enven larger ones then fine for you but that's not the point. Cloud have bigger biceps than average, at least on this pic. This is also clearly visible on his ingame sprite (I mean in the real game, not the NES version or anything). Although Barret's are even much bigger, Cloud's are still bigger than average.

Vanya

• View Profile
« Reply #1238 on: April 16, 2013, 08:16:10 am »
I disagree. They look relatively scrawny for a warrior, story reasoning aside. And even for an average guy they look scrawny.

Chpexo

• View Profile
« Reply #1239 on: April 16, 2013, 11:19:42 pm »
This picture may help with your cliffs.
Spoiler: