News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules

Author Topic: Final Fantasy 3 Dungeon Crawl? Looking for some direction.  (Read 2881 times)

nightwork

Final Fantasy 3 Dungeon Crawl? Looking for some direction.
« on: April 04, 2011, 02:58:47 pm »
Hello all,

I am brand new to rom hacking, so I am doing my reading and trying to learn the basics now. However, I thought it would be good to mention my idea and see if anyone had any advice, direction or was interested in collaborating on it. I am also interested in someone with some experience giving some input about how hard this will be.

So here is the idea:
A dungeon crawl style game using the Final Fantasy 3 battle engine, monsters, items and characters. The beginning of the game you select four of the playable characters for your party then enter the dungeon at lvl 1 with starting equipment. The dungeon floors are randomly generated. As you progress the levels get harder.

Dungeon crawls have a few basic themes:
1: work your way to  the exit
2: get to the bottom kill a boss and get back out alive
3: just see how deep you can make it

I am not sure which of these would fit best yet, but that can come later. Also, I want to include vicks and wedge at some point. I was thinking that as you progress the game each fight raises the chances that you fight vicks and wedge. That way it is still random, but will happen about the same point in the game.

So, does anyone think it is a cool idea? anyone want to help? Do you think it will be very hard to pull use the battle engine, monster tables, items etc?

thanks in advance,
nightwork

Gideon Zhi

• Discord Staff
    • View Profile
    • Aeon Genesis
Re: Final Fantasy 3 Dungeon Crawl? Looking for some direction.
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2011, 03:32:16 pm »
The hardest thing would probably be to randomly generate the floors. It'd probably be easier to have a large pile of maps, with the game just picking one, rather than building one from scratch every time. The rest of it could probably be shoehorned in to some varying degree of easy/medium difficulty.

You'd also need some sort of constantly-changing control variable that would, ideally, prevent the player from grinding out an overpowered party on each level. Most roguelikes do this with a food counter.

Deathlike2

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2011, 04:56:33 pm »
I thought someone was working on (or at least attempting) such a hack in the theme of one of those MM3 endless type of hacks. It would work with something along the lines of Ebot's Cave, where there's potential randomness and you could adapt something with levels and stuff to the enemies that are generated...

IIRC, there was actual spell learning code via events in the game (though not used, but something carried over from the previous SNES FF games) that would allow you to really do a Lufia 2 style Ancient Dungeon.

Ah... good times.
FF4 Research Continues
Working on the next Yet To Be Named FF4 "Hardtype" Hack

nightwork

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2011, 09:40:33 pm »
OMG, I remembered a game with a dungeon like this but couldn't think of the name. You hit the nail on the head with Lufia 2's Ancient Dungeon. I have some skill in programming with C, Assembly, and Java. When working with roms are you completely limited to what you can do modifying the original code, or is it possible to expand on it. Thanks for the input so far.

Nightwork

gadesx

• View Profile
    • Gadesx scene
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2011, 09:52:16 am »
the most easy way its making for example 10 maps for every map,
when you get a stairs if 0 = room 1, 1 = room 2, etc.
(i'd made some of this in rpg maker hehe)

about FF6 maybe this is of your interest http://ff6sdk.webs.com/
its a sdk complete editor, its still in progress but its going to can export all the rom
to a format editable, and its like a rpg maker