News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: The Legend of Zelda: Shadow of Night  (Read 43770 times)

Mr207

• View Profile
Re: The Legend of Zelda: Shadow of Night
« Reply #40 on: March 30, 2011, 09:51:59 pm »
I'm assuming the clue your referring to is

Spoiler:
The bat who says "You are persistant.  Find door and scram"  The problem with this clue for me is while, maybe it should make it pretty clear I still have no idea what it means.  I've looked in (I believe) every room of every building in every town for a hidden door somewhere, and cant find one.  Hint? :)

Vegetaman

• Child of Doom
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 30, 2011, 10:04:55 pm »
Now that I think about it, I remember that there actually is an in game clue about the location of the last spell. It's a good clue that should make things pretty clear. The problem might be that some players will miss this clue. There is a message in the original game that is found in a similar way, but very easy to miss.

This isn't a huge secret, but that was a nice touch with the old lady who walks into the wall in Saria town. I originally thought she was supposed to be a "ghost" that you couldn't reach -- but DASH proved to be quite useful here.

curses

• "So long."
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 30, 2011, 10:41:41 pm »
I'm assuming the clue your referring to is

Spoiler:
The bat who says "You are persistant.  Find door and scram"  The problem with this clue for me is while, maybe it should make it pretty clear I still have no idea what it means.  I've looked in (I believe) every room of every building in every town for a hidden door somewhere, and cant find one.  Hint? :)
That's not the message I am talking about. As far as I know, that particular message is just for fun. The clue I'm talking about is in a different town. There are messages and clues Link can find by pressing B to search the area around him when he is visiting a town. In vanilla Zelda II, there is this really obscure message hidden somewhere, and this hack has a message that is hidden in a similar way.

This isn't a huge secret, but that was a nice touch with the old lady who walks into the wall in Saria town. I originally thought she was supposed to be a "ghost" that you couldn't reach -- but DASH proved to be quite useful here.

There is a glitch that let's you talk to that lady if you stand near the door and press B at the right time.

Mr207

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 01, 2011, 02:28:34 pm »
Well I did manage to finally find the final spell.  But good lord am I lost in this Great Palace.  There is an

Spoiler:
endless elevator shaft that I am positive holds the key to progressing further.  however I can't find the solution to it.  I'm aware you can move to the left through a hidden wall, but I can't find any more hidden areas beyond that.  what am i missing?

curses

• "So long."
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 01, 2011, 04:00:42 pm »
I guess the_icepenguin expects players to know about
Spoiler:
"Lost Woods"
style puzzles, and to be able to solve them using
Spoiler:
brute-force
methods. I think I ended up drawing a map for three of the palaces for this hack, partly because of this.

Sam Atoms

• View Profile
« Reply #45 on: April 03, 2011, 05:36:05 pm »
I can't even beat the first palace, it's hard enough fighting horsehead at level 1-1-2 with 3 bars of life and no shield spell, but add that new long range attack of his and he's damn near impossible.

If you reach level 2-1-2, Horsehead is tough but beatable, even with all else the same.  You can get there with the help of a 100-point bag of XP near the beginning.  That first raise of attack level is huge; it doubles your sword power.  Without it, it would probably be too much to ask to keep the timing up that long, but it's a world of difference cutting the needed shots down from 32 to 16.

Now I'm at level 3-2-4, and once you get through that cave system that drops you in the swamp, the possibilities that unfold are just mind-boggling.  I've eliminated a few directions, while others go off into the distance.  I can tell that my task would be considerably simplified if I could find kitty.  Silly kitty....

Robochi

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 04, 2011, 01:33:04 am »
I can't even beat the first palace, it's hard enough fighting horsehead at level 1-1-2 with 3 bars of life and no shield spell, but add that new long range attack of his and he's damn near impossible.

If you reach level 2-1-2, Horsehead is tough but beatable, even with all else the same.  You can get there with the help of a 100-point bag of XP near the beginning.  That first raise of attack level is huge; it doubles your sword power.  Without it, it would probably be too much to ask to keep the timing up that long, but it's a world of difference cutting the needed shots down from 32 to 16.

Now I'm at level 3-2-4, and once you get through that cave system that drops you in the swamp, the possibilities that unfold are just mind-boggling.  I've eliminated a few directions, while others go off into the distance.  I can tell that my task would be considerably simplified if I could find kitty.  Silly kitty....

That's good to know, but it's still weird if the game actually gets a bit easier the further you get, my mindset was sort of "if the first palace is kicking my ass this hard, i wont stand a chance at the rest of the game". I actually was able to beat the first horsehead by
Spoiler:
jumping over him and just standing on that ledge behind him and just jump slashing him to death, but there was a second horsehead after him without the ledge and i didn't stand a chance.
I'm also curious about this whole exp curve thing, do the monsters later on in the game actually give you a decent amount of exp? Reason i ask is because i don't think i would have the patience to hit 8-8-8 with everything giving me 10-15 exp.

All this said, i think i'll still wait for an easier version of this, I'm planning to play it on my Wii if/when an easier version comes out.

demione

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 08, 2011, 11:25:42 am »
I'm also curious about this whole exp curve thing, do the monsters later on in the game actually give you a decent amount of exp? Reason i ask is because i don't think i would have the patience to hit 8-8-8 with everything giving me 10-15 exp.

It isn't too difficult to level up, as long as you make a clear decision to separate your explorative games from your gutting games. When you explore, take note of which power bags are where. Then, when you decide to do your gutting, make sure you can get one level's worth in one single game. Then get a game over, rinse, and repeat.

Sam Atoms

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 23, 2011, 05:17:48 pm »
OK, I have hit my wits' end.

I have the raft, power bracelet, and candle.  I'm at level 5-3-5.  The spells I have are HEAL, JUMP, FIRE, and DASH.  I have both jump and downward thrusts.  I've been in the third palace but it seems to have nothing but empty replicas of the first and second palaces.  I haven't found its secret entrance.  I've been everywhere else I can go, but I haven't found anything that can open a new area.  Help . . .

curses

• "So long."
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 23, 2011, 06:14:40 pm »
Do you have the downthrust?

Use it in the palace to find the way to the true palace.

Sam Atoms

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: April 25, 2011, 06:04:04 pm »
WHOA!!!  I don't know if I would have ever found that on my own.  In retrospect, it makes sense, when you think about everything else that is happening in that room.

This palace is big, and has some parts that are really hard, but I've got a brand new pair of shoes!  THANK YOU!

And with all the treasure I have lying around, even before "following the river", I should be able to run my level up to 5-4-6, or farther.

No, I did something a little different with all those goodies.  I'm at 6-3-6, and all the bags of XP scattered around provided about 60% of the points.  Now I'm about to trip out to the 4TH palace.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2011, 04:08:16 pm by Sam Atoms »

bowtar

« Reply #51 on: May 06, 2011, 04:05:02 am »
Ok, I could use some help :)
I'm stuck at the ice palace. I'm at the point where it appears I need the reflect spell to advance, but I'm missing a key to unlock the door leading to the lost child in the cave systems prior to the palace. I'm pretty sure I've searched the entire map, but no extra keys are to be found...

Sam Atoms

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 07, 2011, 01:41:34 am »
Ok, I could use some help :)
I'm stuck at the ice palace. I'm at the point where it appears I need the reflect spell to advance, but I'm missing a key to unlock the door leading to the lost child in the cave systems prior to the palace. I'm pretty sure I've searched the entire map, but no extra keys are to be found...

This gave me a lot of trouble too.  I assume the key you're looking for is

Spoiler:
Go to the desert north of the swamp, between Ruto the town split by the river, and the long bridge that leads to the graveyard.  Probe the shoreline on the northeast side of the desert and you'll find a place where you can walk out over the water and go eastward.  You'll find a small rocky island with a palace.  This is a miniature ruin which has a key and a magic container.  The key is well hidden; you'll need to use a couple of tricks.

bowtar

« Reply #53 on: May 08, 2011, 06:51:36 am »
Thanks for the tip! That was a very well hidden key. I knew there was something suspicious going on there, but I never thought to look in "that" direction.

However, I am now near the end of the game and I'm missing yet another key. In the graveyard palace, it appears that I need a total of two keys and I can only find one.  I've tried attacking all the walls and floors, used fairy everywhere, etc. and still no luck.

I'm also looking for the Thunder spell. I have the flute and all the other spells and items except the cross, so I should be able to get it now.

I think I've found all the hidden hints, and the three that might refer to it don't help much:
Spoiler:
The old woman that you have to use dash to talk to says there is a secret in the desert. So I tried blowing the whistle in all the deserts. Took a long time, but found nothing.
In Old Kasuto, the diary says that a shadowy figure stole the spell.
In New Kasuto, the invisible hint says: North of the bridge -Dampe. So again, I tried blowing the whistle north of many bridges, and still nothing.

Thanks in advance for any more advice.

Sam Atoms

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 09, 2011, 08:11:33 pm »
Yeah, that's where I am too.  My guess is that the missing key is somewhere nearby in the graveyard, or the swamp.  The landscape is sprawling and nasty with invisible ghosts, I'm at level 6-5-6, with five squares each of life and magic, which is as high as I can go without major grinding but not enough to hang in that region..... I don't feel like clambering around it to look...... sorry I can't be of more help this time.  Best of luck.....

Vegetaman

• Child of Doom
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 21, 2011, 02:15:21 pm »
Grinding Tip:

This is what I do when I need to grind some EXP or refill my health/magic bars...

1. Find a place in a palace where the ceiling drips acid and occasionally those blue jelly guys.

2. Cast life magic on yourself until you are fully healed.

3. Position yourself right at the edge of where they bounce to when they come out.

4. Set your turbo stab key, crouch Link down, and press it.

5. Now, turn on frame skip x10.

Now, make sure you made a save state before this, because sometimes they get lucky and whoop your ass.

Alternatively, you can use one of those overworld places like in the swamp that spawns those annoying ass birds that fly around continually. Just stand at a screen edge and turbo stab away!

I made many a level up this way. Also, they drop a magic container or P bag every 10 kills, so your magic bar should fill back up fast.

ALSO! I see somebody has started a video guide on youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_HxuvqCNaM  :cookie: :woot!:

IcePenguin

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: December 01, 2013, 02:30:22 pm »
Update!   :)

So it's been a couple years, but I just made an update to this hack.  Version 2.0!  I increased XP gains from enemies, increased Link's attack power, and made minor changes to level design making puzzles/secrets easier to find.  Basically, it's easier this time around.

I'll update my first post with the new links.

December 03, 2013, 12:13:49 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
I made another update.  Version 2.1!

This will probably be the last one.  I never intended to update this hack, to be honest - It sorta just happened.  Anyway, if you play it, I hope you enjoy the easier difficulty.  :)
« Last Edit: December 03, 2013, 12:13:49 pm by the_icepenguin »

Celice

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: December 03, 2013, 03:00:06 pm »
I should really give this hack a try, now that I've finished uni  :beer: It looked very cool back when it first released, and still looks cool.

TheZunar123

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: December 03, 2013, 04:57:43 pm »
Decided to try this out. Looks very well made and the new music is very nice! However, I have found one major glitch in the first town: the monsters can hurt you when you're inside the house getting cured by the lady. I was so low on health that bloody slime killed me (even though I wasn't on-screen!). The funny thing is, my health had started to fill during the flashing animation, but I still died. I'm just like FUUUU-

Also, one minor thing: the moon on the title screen sometimes covers up the scrolling text in the story. It's more of an annoyance than a real burden though, since the moon is so small, but I thought I'd mention it.

EDIT: What's the deal with the old lady in Saria that just walks through the left wall of her house? You can't get to her fast enough to talk to her.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2013, 08:57:13 pm by TheZunar123 »
Speedrunner and Let's Player.
www.youtube.com/ZunarSR

Trax

• View Profile
    • Trax ROM Hacking
« Reply #59 on: December 04, 2013, 12:06:46 am »
Whoa, someone is back from the abyss! I managed to beat the game thoroughly, but I must admit I used tons of savestates and I looked at the Overworld map a few times when I was really clueless. Yet, it's still a very nice piece of work. Let's hope the reduced difficulty will encourage more people to try it...