News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: The Legend of Zelda: Shadow of Night  (Read 43759 times)

Reshaper256

• View Profile
    • Zelda3C ~ Quest for Calatia
Re: The Legend of Zelda: Shadow of Night
« Reply #20 on: March 18, 2011, 02:39:42 pm »
icepenguin:

I was working on an ASM hack a few years back that allows you to start back at the current palace entrance when you continue after dying inside a palace--instead of being taken all the way to the starting palace. 

Would this be of any interest to you?

Nevermind, I seem to have lost track of it.  Sorry. :(
« Last Edit: March 18, 2011, 02:50:09 pm by Reshaper256 »
Zelda3C ASM Hacker

Vegetaman

• Child of Doom
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 20, 2011, 01:42:20 pm »
I'm enjoying this -- it's hard, but I find myself abusing savestates a bit, but still enjoyable. I'm currently with these stats/spells/items:

2-3-3
5 Golden Leaves
Heal
Jump
Lamp

Just got Jump, and am unsure whether to go exploring more of the local caves for items or if I should go back and see if I can wrap up Palace 1...

I'd say I'm about 2-3 hours in, as I did a little bit of grinding. Want to raise my attack level one more, as the horse head guy really was whooping on me.

EDIT:

Another hour in, still haven't beaten Palace 1, but did pick up a LIFE container and MAGIC container! Also, found Palace 2, and got the UP THRUST for my sword. Will go back and work on Palace 1 now. :cookie:

EDIT 2:

Aha, two more hours in and I finally got my stats up to 4-4-4 with a bit of grinding and finally got my hands on the POWER BRACELET. You know, those damn axe swinger/axe thrower dudes are a royal pain in the arse... About 6 hours in.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2011, 12:33:23 am by Vegetaman »

demione

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 22, 2011, 01:25:16 pm »
I swear I've gotten six leaves, but the girl in the second town does not let me in the house yet. Help!  :o

March 22, 2011, 11:14:17 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
I swear I've gotten six leaves, but the girl in the second town does not let me in the house yet. Help!  :o

Ah nevermind, got it. Apparently the leaves reset to their unfound locations if you save, exit, and then reenter. They must all be collected in the same session.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2011, 11:14:17 pm by demione »

Robochi

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 23, 2011, 05:21:12 pm »
Hey, when you make the next version of this are you gonna do an easy version and a hard version sort of like with Journey of a Day?

I'd still really like to play this, Zelda 2 is one of my favorite NES games and I've been craving more of it.

Vegetaman

• Child of Doom
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 23, 2011, 08:18:00 pm »
Okay, I am stuck in Palace 2. So far, I have:

HEAL
JUMP
FIRE

Lamp
Power Bracelet

1x LIFE Container
1X MAGIC Container

Now, I brought the extra key from Palace 1 into this dungeon. And I opened no locked doors, fought Horsehead, and got another key.

Now, if I go through the middle floor locked door, all I get is another key.

If I go through the bottom most locked door, all I get is nothing.

If I go through the top most locked door, I get to another locked door, and after that I get to a third locked door that I have no key for.

...Help?

demione

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 24, 2011, 01:28:59 pm »
Okay, I am stuck in Palace 2. So far, I have:

HEAL
JUMP
FIRE

Lamp
Power Bracelet

1x LIFE Container
1X MAGIC Container

Now, I brought the extra key from Palace 1 into this dungeon. And I opened no locked doors, fought Horsehead, and got another key.

Now, if I go through the middle floor locked door, all I get is another key.

If I go through the bottom most locked door, all I get is nothing.

If I go through the top most locked door, I get to another locked door, and after that I get to a third locked door that I have no key for.

...Help?

I don't know if this will help or not because there are a lot of keys in unassuming spots throughout the world. Here are two that were the hardest to find:

Spoiler:
- Walk over all the graves near the cave where you get the power bracelet. There is a key in one of them.

Spoiler:
- In dungeons, there is a certain type of room which exits to the left. This room has two sets of floating destroyable blocks which are 4 blocks high, 2 blocks up, and around 50 blocks wide. You can jump on these blocks if you time your jump just right, otherwise (since they are 2 blocks up) you can walk underneath them. In the original Zelda 2, there was usually a key at the end of a room like this. Not so for this game -- instead you have to break blocks at the end of the screen and walk into the wall. There you will find a hidden key. As far as I can tell, every time a dungeon contains this room, you will find a hidden key there.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2011, 01:34:57 pm by demione »

snarfblam

• Submission Reviewer
  • CANT HACK METROID
    • View Profile
    • snarfblam
« Reply #26 on: March 24, 2011, 05:21:37 pm »
demione, that's definitely helpful. It's starting to seem like you need to check every single tile in the game, and since backtracking is essential it's very hard to keep track of what needs to be checked. I.e. when you get the bracelet (glove) you need to comb over the game again.

demione

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 24, 2011, 05:38:24 pm »
demione, that's definitely helpful. It's starting to seem like you need to check every single tile in the game, and since backtracking is essential it's very hard to keep track of what needs to be checked. I.e. when you get the bracelet (glove) you need to comb over the game again.

Indeed. Wait until you get the boots. Some really interesting stuff starts happening.

Vegetaman

• Child of Doom
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 24, 2011, 06:50:15 pm »
I don't know if this will help or not because there are a lot of keys in unassuming spots throughout the world. Here are two that were the hardest to find:

Spoiler:
- Walk over all the graves near the cave where you get the power bracelet. There is a key in one of them.

Spoiler:
- In dungeons, there is a certain type of room which exits to the left. This room has two sets of floating destroyable blocks which are 4 blocks high, 2 blocks up, and around 50 blocks wide. You can jump on these blocks if you time your jump just right, otherwise (since they are 2 blocks up) you can walk underneath them. In the original Zelda 2, there was usually a key at the end of a room like this. Not so for this game -- instead you have to break blocks at the end of the screen and walk into the wall. There you will find a hidden key. As far as I can tell, every time a dungeon contains this room, you will find a hidden key there.

I found the first hidden key, but the second one... I had kind of guessed the second one was the case (since there were a lot of dead end rooms and the one set up like you mentioned was highly suspicious), but was unable to prove it out. Will go back and try again; thank you!  :thumbsup:

demione

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 24, 2011, 07:48:58 pm »
I found the first hidden key, but the second one... I had kind of guessed the second one was the case (since there were a lot of dead end rooms and the one set up like you mentioned was highly suspicious), but was unable to prove it out. Will go back and try again; thank you!  :thumbsup:

You bet!

How'd you get the fire spell? I don't have that yet.

Vegetaman

• Child of Doom
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 24, 2011, 10:01:45 pm »

You bet!

How'd you get the fire spell? I don't have that yet.

Save the cat for the lady in the town where you have to cross the river with Bagu's help. Cat was hidden in plain sight (Hint: Use "JUMP" and look in obvious places a cat would hide; try to 'talk' to it).

I am told I may have missed a second extra key in the first palace... D'oh.

demione

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 24, 2011, 10:39:56 pm »
Save the cat for the lady in the town where you have to cross the river with Bagu's help. Cat was hidden in plain sight (Hint: Use "JUMP" and look in obvious places a cat would hide; try to 'talk' to it).

Oh man, thank you. I knew I had to do something there, I just couldn't figure out what it was. A cat sprite would have helped. Now I'm wondering what to do about the lady who's locked out of her home...

Do tell.. I'm pretty sure I've scoured that place, but am unfortunately missing a key for the ice temple. Looked everywhere, must have combed the game over twice without any luck.

Vegetaman

• Child of Doom
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 26, 2011, 11:23:58 am »

Oh man, thank you. I knew I had to do something there, I just couldn't figure out what it was. A cat sprite would have helped. Now I'm wondering what to do about the lady who's locked out of her home...

Do tell.. I'm pretty sure I've scoured that place, but am unfortunately missing a key for the ice temple. Looked everywhere, must have combed the game over twice without any luck.

Both of the extra keys from Palace 1 I ended up using in Palace 2. So I officially have no more extra keys now. D:

I've beaten Palaces 1 and 2...

Found Downstab...

But cannot find the key for the lady locked out either, nor the missing child. Any hints?

demione

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 26, 2011, 06:42:32 pm »
I've beaten Palaces 1 and 2...

Found Downstab...

But cannot find the key for the lady locked out either, nor the missing child. Any hints?

You won't need to worry about the lost child just yet... it'll be pretty evident what you need to do in order to find him once you're at that area of the game.

Have not yet figured out how to help the lady who's locked out.

When you say you've "beaten" the temple, do you mean you've turned it to stone, or that you've just gutted it? I haven't found out any way to permanently turn any temple to stone just yet, but I have a feeling it may have to do with...
Spoiler:
...the fake wall halfway up the elevator in every temple entranceway.

Darkmoon

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 28, 2011, 09:13:29 pm »
As far as I can tell, you can never "beat" a palace, i.e., turning it to stone. 

As for the key for the lady locked out, that took ages for me to find.

Spoiler:
It's hidden similarly to the cat, but nowhere near the lady.  I found it near the western town exit.

I found a lady who wouldn't talk to me unless I had 7 magic containers, but after getting the cross from one of the palaces, she let me in, even though I only have five.  So, I'm able to progress to the great palace, but assuming it is like the original game, I'll need Thunder magic there, which I've not found, so I hesitate to explore inside.  And I still only have 5 6 magic containers and 6 7 heart containers...  Not really sure where the others are hiding, and I'm not sure I'm up for another check every square of the world map search, as I've pretty much done that already when looking for other things...  There's always checking every tree and rock wall with the hammer, but...   

« Last Edit: March 28, 2011, 09:23:07 pm by Darkmoon »

Mr207

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 29, 2011, 03:34:39 pm »
I found my way to the Great Palace but dont have the thunder spell, and dont want to fight my way through to the end just to discover I do infact need it.  The reason I'm not 100% sure I do, is:
Spoiler:
Over at Death Mountain, there is an area in the south where there is a town on the left I can not reach, and a temple on the right behind a river devil.  This river devil however does not respond to the flute the way the one in East Hyrule does, so I'm not sure how to get around him.

Has anyone else got this far?

curses

• "So long."
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 30, 2011, 06:02:30 am »
I found a lady who wouldn't talk to me unless I had 7 magic containers, but after getting the cross from one of the palaces, she let me in, even though I only have five.
In fact you don't even need the cross. There is some glitch that makes the lady let you through if you talk to her, talk to somebody else, and then talk to her again.

So, I'm able to progress to the great palace, but assuming it is like the original game, I'll need Thunder magic there, which I've not found, so I hesitate to explore inside.  And I still only have 5 6 magic containers and 6 7 heart containers...  Not really sure where the others are hiding, and I'm not sure I'm up for another check every square of the world map search, as I've pretty much done that already when looking for other things...  There's always checking every tree and rock wall with the hammer, but...
There is only one tree that can be chopped down. Fortunately.
There are a number of rock walls that can be broken with the hammer, though.

I found my way to the Great Palace but dont have the thunder spell, and dont want to fight my way through to the end just to discover I do infact need it.  The reason I'm not 100% sure I do, is:
Spoiler:
Over at Death Mountain, there is an area in the south where there is a town on the left I can not reach, and a temple on the right behind a river devil.  This river devil however does not respond to the flute the way the one in East Hyrule does, so I'm not sure how to get around him.
Has anyone else got this far?
You can ignore that which is contained in those spoiler tags.

Mr207

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 30, 2011, 03:19:06 pm »
Hmm if the thing I mentioned in my spoiler tags is to be ignored, then I'm at a total loss.  Theres only one spot where I think the thunder spell is and that is the town where the woman wants 100 gold skulltulas.  No idea where I might find that however.  I've also managed to find on a roof in another town, an egg.  I have yet to discover where that is used.

Vegetaman

• Child of Doom
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 30, 2011, 07:19:08 pm »
As far as I can tell, you can never "beat" a palace, i.e., turning it to stone. 

As for the key for the lady locked out, that took ages for me to find.

Spoiler:
It's hidden similarly to the cat, but nowhere near the lady.  I found it near the western town exit.

I found a lady who wouldn't talk to me unless I had 7 magic containers, but after getting the cross from one of the palaces, she let me in, even though I only have five.  So, I'm able to progress to the great palace, but assuming it is like the original game, I'll need Thunder magic there, which I've not found, so I hesitate to explore inside.  And I still only have 5 6 magic containers and 6 7 heart containers...  Not really sure where the others are hiding, and I'm not sure I'm up for another check every square of the world map search, as I've pretty much done that already when looking for other things...  There's always checking every tree and rock wall with the hammer, but...

Let me see... There's one magic container near the first town, two heart containers from the first town to the second palace... And I think there's supposed to be more "magic" in one of the swamps, as well as death mountain. At least from in-game hints so far, and I'm only to palace 3.

Did find the key for the locked out lady, though.

curses

• "So long."
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 30, 2011, 08:20:06 pm »
Now that I think about it, I remember that there actually is an in game clue about the location of the last spell. It's a good clue that should make things pretty clear. The problem might be that some players will miss this clue. There is a message in the original game that is found in a similar way, but very easy to miss.