News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: ROM Hacks: Pandora's Box sees the light of day once again  (Read 58534 times)

Kiyoshi Aman

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
  • Browncoat Captain
    • View Profile
    • Aerdan's Blog
Re: ROM Hacks: Pandora's Box sees the light of day once again
« Reply #100 on: March 07, 2011, 01:56:38 am »
I have never experienced this phenomenon, and I've played the game a lot. It is, in fact, my favourite Final Fantasy. So to see people like you fucking it up in the name of a 'challenge hack' pisses me off.

Gogo13

• View Profile
« Reply #101 on: March 07, 2011, 02:05:24 am »
Stay classy Kiyoshi; it's everyone here's favorite.  We've already discussed how my hack goes beyond your amazing attention span.

Kiyoshi Aman

• Browncoat Captain
    • View Profile
    • Aerdan's Blog
« Reply #102 on: March 07, 2011, 02:13:08 am »
I'm sorry, since when did...let me count...3-4 people count as "everyone here"? I know several people who're paying attention to this thread who disagree with you, even.

So no, it's not "everyone here's" favourite, not by a long shot.

ETA: Also, there are people other than myself in your hack's own thread who don't like it. Oops!
« Last Edit: March 07, 2011, 02:20:10 am by Kiyoshi Aman »

assassin

• View Profile
    • My Barren Webpage
« Reply #103 on: March 07, 2011, 03:35:43 am »
Kiyoshi Aman: It is, in fact, my favourite Final Fantasy.

Gogo13: Stay classy Kiyoshi; it's everyone here's favorite.

Kiyoshi Aman: *has completely forgotten what "favorite" refers to in the course of two short posts.*

Kiyoshi Aman

• Browncoat Captain
    • View Profile
    • Aerdan's Blog
« Reply #104 on: March 07, 2011, 03:46:43 am »
Kiyoshi Aman: It is, in fact, my favourite Final Fantasy.

Gogo13: Stay classy Kiyoshi; it's everyone here's favorite.

Kiyoshi Aman: *has completely forgotten what "favorite" refers to in the course of two short posts.*

Yes, because I'm supposed to be totally fucking psychic and know he was referring to FF6 in general and not his shitty fucking hack.

assassin

• View Profile
    • My Barren Webpage
« Reply #105 on: March 07, 2011, 04:21:36 am »
no fucking psychic powers required; just basic reading skills and an ability and willingness to recognize context.  fucking hell!!!

Kiyoshi Aman

• Browncoat Captain
    • View Profile
    • Aerdan's Blog
« Reply #106 on: March 07, 2011, 04:28:58 am »
KHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAN!text? What is this 'khan-text'? Is it something you put in your ear?

Seriously, though. Even if he were talking about FF6, he's still wrong. :p

BRPXQZME

• じー
    • View Profile
    • The BRPXQZME Network
« Reply #107 on: March 07, 2011, 04:35:51 am »
Oh, relax, cupcake. It was a joke.
we are in a horrible and deadly danger

Panzer88

• GENO means ♥♪!?
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: March 07, 2011, 02:57:16 pm »
it's everyone here's favorite.

your favorite game in the world that you can't bear to play at 1x speed. Everyone here is impressed.

That said, this squabbling isn't fair to the authors of Pandora's Box. could somebody fork this or something?
Donate now until 24 April, from the makers of shotwell Geary: a new open-source email client

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: March 07, 2011, 11:46:56 pm »
Yes, there's too many personal attacks in this thread. :police:
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

Gamesoul Master

• Jack of All Trades
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: March 08, 2011, 12:16:38 am »
I started rolling my eyes after the second post of crap that those guys got into. Seriously, no need to make everybody suffer by having to read your pointless bickering. Switch to PM or get a room... :D

Anyway, I do agree that the side-trip adds to the hack in a way. Sort-of an illustration of how hard the Empire is making things by taking over towns and such. The frustrating part was all the battles that added up to like, maybe half a level worth of EXP. Usually, after fighting a few dozen battles, I expect to get at least a level out of it... lol. And running away takes forever (sometimes longer than killing all the mobs, even if they aren't one-shot mobs), so running away isn't even an option. S that, and one other type of occasion, are when I use fast forward. The other occasion is when I'm fighting a new mob that's giving me trouble stealing from, in which case I use fast forward for the sometimes 100+ rounds it takes to steal a couple items (with 50+ agility and the relic, mind you). Still worth getting some of those items though, so I don't mind that so much. Really am loving having 4 item slots on each mob :)

Gogo13

• View Profile
« Reply #111 on: March 08, 2011, 12:32:53 am »
Are the stealable items anything you can't end up buying, and if so, how many?  I would just steal casually whenever Locke's round came up, so didn't get much items out of it.

Panzer88

• GENO means ♥♪!?
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: March 08, 2011, 02:07:01 am »
a good rule in any Final Fantasy game is to steal everything you can from boss characters before defeating them, most other characters can be returned to later. the Brawlers at the base of the Mt. to get Matthew used to drop Bandanas in vanilla FFVI, but no longer. I suspect because it was so powerful at that stage in the game.

I'll try to compile a list if and when I get to playing through the demo again. I'm an RPG clepto :D
Donate now until 24 April, from the makers of shotwell Geary: a new open-source email client

Gamesoul Master

• Jack of All Trades
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: March 08, 2011, 02:29:41 am »
@Gogo: Not much in the way of "unique" stuff, no. Although there's some stuff that you get a decent bit earlier than the first chance to buy it. Bosses are an exception of course, as always. But there are a good chunk of regular mobs that, if you steal past the easiest slot or two (which generally contain potions and such), you may be surprised at what you can get. Sometimes it could be as simple as an Elixir, or as good as getting pieces of a gear set that's still a couple towns away from being buyable.

@Panzer: I don't remember how, but Bandanas are still easy to acquire early in this game. I've had them for quite a long time, but I don't remember where I got them. Other stuff though, as I said to Gogo, it's much more worthwhile in this hack to steal from regular mobs, because you can get stuff early on that's actually useful. Would love to see a list, but I'm actually enjoying having no idea what I may end up stealing next. Sometimes I find something cool, and sometimes I get crap for all my effort. But either way, it's definitely one of many good aspects of this hack.

Garoth Moulinoski

• Disliking that smoke.
    • View Profile
    • My Stuff including Super Smash Karts.
« Reply #114 on: March 08, 2011, 10:22:23 am »
a good rule in any Final Fantasy game is to steal everything you can from boss characters before defeating them, most other characters can be returned to later. the Brawlers at the base of the Mt. to get Matthew used to drop Bandanas in vanilla FFVI, but no longer. I suspect because it was so powerful at that stage in the game.

I'll try to compile a list if and when I get to playing through the demo again. I'm an RPG clepto :D

Hmm, I rarely ever even used the steal command... I think I only ever drew from bosses in FF8 and that was it, but it was practically second-nature to have one guy drawing stuff from monsters in that game. I've beaten every Final Fantasy up to 9 without ever stealing from bosses- am I missing anything that would add on to my enjoyment of the games that would justify a replay (well, I'd replay 9 anyway because I really like it)?
Who will quote me next?
Disclaimer: If it sounds wrong, I may have been posting while asleep.

Gogo13

• View Profile
« Reply #115 on: March 08, 2011, 11:40:37 am »
6 Had some good steals from bosses, but only on maybe 25% of them

Imzogelmo

• View Profile
« Reply #116 on: March 08, 2011, 12:21:32 pm »
The steals are something that we may possibly tweak a bit further, but as it stands, yeah, we wanted to give some steals from the random encounters that could (a) be a little better than what you can buy at that point, and/or (b) be worth enough Gil that you can sell it off if money is tight. That's because in initial playtesting, we found that money could be tight in places, and that weapon selection could be bumped up a bit without hurting balance too much. As for bosses, of course there is some stuff, but it's more likely to change as we don't want to give away the really good stuff too early.

Also of note is that we not only added steal slots (and made it possible to get more than 1 item from an enemy), but we changed the steal success formula too, so agility (and not just levels) helps now. And of course, when you get to that point, multi-stealing in a turn is not bugged anymore. :)

Panzer88

• GENO means ♥♪!?
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: March 08, 2011, 01:12:14 pm »
I rarely ever even used the steal command... I think I only ever drew from bosses in FF8 and that was it, but it was practically second-nature to have one guy drawing stuff from monsters in that game. I've beaten every Final Fantasy up to 9 without ever stealing from bosses- am I missing anything that would add on to my enjoyment of the games that would justify a replay (well, I'd replay 9 anyway because I really like it)?

I'd say yes. It isn't a huge loss but it does add to a game, at least with bosses and some dungeons throughout the games. Overworlds don't matter as much.

Not stealing ever though is basically cutting a character class out of your game, like never using magic, or never fighting as a bare handed monk.

FF IX was even better for it because the main character was a theif and he had 4 steal slots per enemy. This is one of the new features of Pandoras Box, and one of the reasons I was spending extra time stealing on the overworld map to see what the team had added.

It can get tedious at times but it gets better as you learn what people have to steal, and as your theif's ability increases. Knowing a good steal and spending 20 minutes in a place can get you great equipment early on, or money a lot faster than usual. If you can't be arsed to slowly see who has what, you can always use a strategy guide or FAQ to see what drops are in the area ahead and if its worth it to you to grab them.

The games I've found stealing most rewarding in are FF V, FF VI, and FF IX.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2011, 03:08:30 pm by Panzer88 »

Next Gen Cowboy

• "People are like dice"
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: March 08, 2011, 05:11:55 pm »
Not to get sidetracked, but in 9 it's a major deal, it grants you access to equipment way ahead of time, it allows you to save money for better equips later, and you get the added bonus of throwing obsolete items into synthesis' making stealing the most important aspect of Zidane (until he can deal massive damage late-game)

It's extremely useful in FF10 as well, some extremely rare abilities/healing items can be had early on if you teach Khimari to steal early enough*, it also has the added bonus of defeating most Machina in one hit.

* It's not imperative it be Khimari, but at least in normal version of FFX he has the easiest route to steal except for Rikku whom you get much later. Of course you can't put abilities on equipment until Rikku joins anyway, but you can still horde the items.
"Remember when we were in Japan? You said you were my gun, if you're the gun then that means I'm the bullet."

"All my life I've been waiting for the gunpowder to go off, you know what you need to ignite gunpowder? You need a gun."

Panzer88

• GENO means ♥♪!?
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: March 08, 2011, 06:02:24 pm »
Also there is the fact that in FF IX, equipment is how you get abilities so rare equipment = sweet abilities.

There is a reason Zidane is a their and the main character ;)