News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: ROM Hacks: Pandora's Box sees the light of day once again  (Read 58536 times)

Lilinda

• View Profile
Re: ROM Hacks: Pandora's Box sees the light of day once again
« Reply #80 on: March 04, 2011, 10:14:49 am »
Where is Ted?
Retired moderator/staff member as of July 14th 2016

jorian

• View Profile
« Reply #81 on: March 04, 2011, 11:51:54 am »
In the caves on the way to releasing the espers from the sealed gate.  There are two switches next to each other.  The right one opens a door which leads to a room with a tent and a save point.  The left one causes Ted to attack you.  I believe in the normal game it caused you to fight two ninjas.  There's a nifty little cut scene when you beat him and he's worth 25 AP.

Lenophis

• Discord Staff
  • The return of the sombrero!
    • View Profile
    • Slick Productions
« Reply #82 on: March 04, 2011, 05:26:39 pm »
Fought Ted Woolsely.  He was pretty damn hard.
He is a Super Boss™. ;D

Took me about 5 or so tries to beat him.
:o I was worried that he was unbeatable.

Also had a very strange encounter on the plains outside of Vector.  I wasn't sure if this one was a bug or not.
Ahhh, you found the Stealth Armor. That battle is incomplete, now that I look at it. The Stealth Armor was going to be a mass AP giving fight, like how Intangir is. However, his AI is very much incomplete, and I think his supporting cast don't have much AI either. :-\

Edit:  I also didn't find the secret dungeon but I didn't look too hard either.
It's mentioned in the Dev Room by *someone* :angel:

Also, I was wondering how learning magic is supposed to work.  With some characters I had no problems getting them to learn spells.  Others just didn't seem to earn any AP no matter how long they carried the espers.
It works the same as it did before. If a character has a magic command, they can learn spells.

https://ff6randomizer.codeplex.com/ - Randomize your FF6 experience!

Gamesoul Master

• Jack of All Trades
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: March 05, 2011, 01:03:20 am »
Easy example. I went into the cave that leads to South Figaro. I came across three Blue Claws. I stood there and did absolutely nothing, and they all ran away on their first turn. Got 136 EXP and an Antidote. The only time I don't get EXP is if I run away from the battle myself. I'm there right now if you want me to record it and upload the video.

jorian

• View Profile
« Reply #84 on: March 05, 2011, 11:39:00 am »
Ahhhh I see.  I thought that summon might just be the command that was there until you learned a spell.  So not everyone can use magic?  I think I like it better this way.  Makes characters like Relm more useful.  Is it predetermined who can use magic or is it affected by who's in the party when you get your espers?  I didn't pay attention when that happened, and I don't remember who was in my party.

Lenophis

• Discord Staff
    • View Profile
    • Slick Productions
« Reply #85 on: March 05, 2011, 12:37:38 pm »
Is it predetermined who can use magic or is it affected by who's in the party when you get your espers?
Cyan, Shadow, Edgar, Sabin, Setzer, and Gau cannot learn magic.

Easy example. I went into the cave that leads to South Figaro. I came across three Blue Claws. I stood there and did absolutely nothing, and they all ran away on their first turn. Got 136 EXP and an Antidote.
Ugh. So that error is back too, huh? The experience was getting tainted with FV's a while back. We did fix it, but it, like many other errors found their way back in at some point. Noted.

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: March 05, 2011, 06:49:36 pm »
a mass AP giving fight, like how Intangir is.
Now that you mention Intangir, was he supposed to have Death immunity in the original game (SNES version)?
After they fixed it on GBA, it sucked doing it once for the Beastiary/Veldt, let alone even thinking of AP grinding. Even keeping him perpetually Stopped, it took forever because of his huge HP.
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

Lenophis

• Discord Staff
    • View Profile
    • Slick Productions
« Reply #87 on: March 05, 2011, 08:48:20 pm »
Now that you mention Intangir, was he supposed to have Death immunity in the original game (SNES version)?
Yep, and it was kept for the GBA version. The Vanish/spell bug is what made AP grinding with him so easy originally.

Deathlike2

• View Profile
« Reply #88 on: March 06, 2011, 12:29:43 am »
a mass AP giving fight, like how Intangir is.
After they fixed it on GBA, it sucked doing it once for the Beastiary/Veldt, let alone even thinking of AP grinding. Even keeping him perpetually Stopped, it took forever because of his huge HP.

You could always use Rasp and Osmose... it's not hard to kill him... just tedious.
FF4 Research Continues
Working on the next Yet To Be Named FF4 "Hardtype" Hack

Gamesoul Master

• Jack of All Trades
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: March 06, 2011, 05:26:57 am »
Maybe I'm missing something here, but... Terra has flown off, and now I'm supposed to go to Figaro Castle to ride it west under the mountains. Except the old man just keeps saying he needs lubricant that he doesn't have because of halted shipments from Nikeah. I have talked to every NPC in Narche and Figaro Castle in case something new was added to continue on, but such does not seem to be the case. And obviously, there's no direct way into South Figaro, so I've explored the two towns in the area that are accessible.

PLEASE don't tell me you didn't change it so I have to go the extremely long way around to get to Nikeah to get some kind of lubricant or something. ::Hangs head::

Alright, I'm gonna make a whole trip around to Nikeah (and then South Figaro of course), and I *swear* there had better be something I get so I can continue on the story, or I'll shoot somebody... lol.

Edit: If it wasn't for fast forward, that surely would've taken forever. But... I got to Nikeah, and my first thought was "Alright, who in this place could possibly help me?" ::Thinks for a moment, then has a revelation:: "Of course! Maybe Captain Kirk could help me..." XD
« Last Edit: March 06, 2011, 05:52:03 am by Gamesoul Master »

Gogo13

• View Profile
« Reply #90 on: March 06, 2011, 07:02:08 am »
And it's not so bad because Nikeah has cool things to buy

Gamesoul Master

• Jack of All Trades
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: March 06, 2011, 07:09:27 am »
Yeah, I did appreciate coming across the Tiara there. Might've been a Kaiser Claw there too, can't remember anymore. But if I hadn't had fast forward, I would've been pissed about having to make that trip... lol. Especially since, now that battles are a bit harder than the original game, a couple of the areas actually require paying attention to the battles. So you have to do serious backtracking *and* still battle it out manually. Took me nearly a half hour, and I used 4x fast forward nearly constantly for the trip.

It was a nice touch though, to have something different/extra as part of the story like that. It just might've been more kind to maybe have the player head directly to South Figaro instead and maybe be allowed to bribe the guard to retrieve and hand over the needed lubricant from the guy on the ferry or something. Or maybe he's secretly a Returners sympathizer or something, you know? Just something where you aren't doing over an hour of backtracking for one little thing (keeping in mind, users of actual hardware or the most recent bsnes versions don't even have fast forward, so that little bit really would take at least an hour considering all the battles and such, while not even gaining a full level worth of EXP for the whole trip).

Gogo13

• View Profile
« Reply #92 on: March 06, 2011, 09:33:35 am »
For some reason I didn't have to pay attention to the fights until M-Tek Factory, so fast-forwarding through the Nikeah trip took me 10 minutes once I figured it out.  I completely agree it could have better story depth, but its humor lessens that slight fault.

Honestly anyone without fast forward can gtfo imho b/c there are so many things that are uncontrollably slow otherwise.  I don't think things should take too long, but if you can't fast forward it's not Team Pandora's fault.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2011, 01:56:14 am by Gogo13 »

Imzogelmo

• View Profile
« Reply #93 on: March 06, 2011, 12:59:48 pm »
It's not to say it won't get a little tweaking, but it adds a little light element to the game, so it's not a straight, linear copy of the original story-wise. Besides,
it's an important lesson that you can even get back to Nikeah, so, to make the deal sweeter, we have better equipment available in Nikeah at that point so that you have something good for your trouble. Plus, a few extra fights is a good thing at this point, because money may be tight in the near future.

Spoiler:
And yeah, the monsters are supposed to put up some resistance. While I have no issue with fast-forward, I do have a problem with the "hold A and breeze through fights" strategy.  ::)

tcaudilllg

• View Profile
« Reply #94 on: March 06, 2011, 09:36:11 pm »
Hit the shell.

Why are people having this much fucking trouble on the whelk

I mean, the game point blank tells you to try new shit when you hit new game

People need direction for experimentation.

Deathlike2

• View Profile
« Reply #95 on: March 06, 2011, 09:45:28 pm »
Hit the shell.

If people needed directions for insanity, then we have clearly lost use for the brain.
FF4 Research Continues
Working on the next Yet To Be Named FF4 "Hardtype" Hack

Kiyoshi Aman

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
  • Browncoat Captain
    • View Profile
    • Aerdan's Blog
« Reply #96 on: March 06, 2011, 09:54:49 pm »
Hit the shell.

Too bad being an idiot isn't against the rules.

Panzer88

• GENO means ♥♪!?
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: March 06, 2011, 11:08:53 pm »
Honestly anyone without fast forward can gtfo imho b/c there are so many things that are uncontrollably slow otherwise.  I don't think things should take too long, but if you can't fast forward it's not Team Pandora's fault.

lolwut?

I actually am ok with a game making you do a little bit of work. It gives you an actual objective but still adds some leveling oppurtunites without having to walk in circles.

To say that the game shouldn't be made for normal speed play is fucking crazy though. Fast forwarding is fine, but it's a cheat, it's not a legitimate form of play and gameplay elements should NOT be based around it, THAT would make no sense.

that said, I don't have an issue with the trip, it kind of highlights the problem of the road to south figaro being down and makes you learn the land a bit better. To say that too many things are uncontrollably slow otherwise is pretty hilarious. If you don't have the attention span to play this game as it was back in the 90s you've got some issues.

as far as the Whelk thing, people should figure it out eventually, but you have to admit that playing the original FFVI might screw with you a bit, as you have been hard coded to not attack the shell, and it was pretty logical that way. That said, the breifing dialog was different, if you paid attention to that then you know that something should be different.

I am a fan of no brainless fights too :D yaaay.
Donate now until 24 April, from the makers of shotwell Geary: a new open-source email client

Kiyoshi Aman

• Browncoat Captain
    • View Profile
    • Aerdan's Blog
« Reply #98 on: March 07, 2011, 12:33:27 am »
For some reason I didn't have to pay attention to the fights until M-Tek Factory, so fast-forwarding through the Nikeah trip took me 10 minutes once I figured it out.  I completely agree it could have better story depth, but it's humor lessens that slight fault.

No wonder your hack is fucking unplayably slow. Fast Forward is very much not a legitimate way to play. It is cheating, in fact, because the original console did not have fast forward. Punctuation to be read as swearing. :V

Gogo13

• View Profile
« Reply #99 on: March 07, 2011, 01:43:50 am »
Why does everything throw you into a fit of rage?  All I'm saying is that half of the FF6 battle time is spent reading bars of text upon victory.  Isn't that true?