News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: ROM Hacks: Pandora's Box sees the light of day once again  (Read 58535 times)

Lenophis

• Discord Staff
  • The return of the sombrero!
    • View Profile
    • Slick Productions
Re: ROM Hacks: Pandora's Box sees the light of day once again
« Reply #40 on: February 28, 2011, 09:43:44 pm »
The lowest tier elemental spells (Fire, Blizzard, and Thunder) all auto target one party by design. Although, I must confess, it's one change nobody has warmed up to. :'(

https://ff6randomizer.codeplex.com/ - Randomize your FF6 experience!

Gamesoul Master

• Jack of All Trades
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 28, 2011, 10:22:35 pm »
Well, I certainly don't mind so much that you can only target the enemy with it (although it removes a little bit of strategy from things overall). But only being able to target *all* enemies is definitely frustrating and makes it difficult to play on weaknesses if you're fighting enemies with different weaknesses (not to mention, before selecting all mobs, it was previously able to select only one target at a time).

Edit: Just walked into Figaro Castle, game froze on a black screen with the music from the overworld (which lingered from Narche) still playing.

By the way, it did that in the original game too. Is that music from Narche *supposed* to linger the first time you leave Narche until you get to Figaro Castle, instead of the standard overworld music playing?

Edit 2: Reloaded my save (which was right outside Narche) and went straight to Figaro Castle instead of grinding a bit, game still froze exactly the same as last time. So... short of restarting my game or figuring out why it's freezing, I'm stuck.

Edit 3: Here, have the SRM and ZST for it, right outside the castle, in case you wanna take a look at it. I tested it in BSNES and ZSNES, both act exactly the same.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2011, 11:07:55 pm by Gamesoul Master »

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 28, 2011, 11:01:36 pm »
By the way, it did that in the original game too. Is that music from Narche *supposed* to linger the first time you leave Narche until you get to Figaro Castle, instead of the standard overworld music playing?
Do you mean, does it do it on the original game on the original console? Yes, it does.
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

Gamesoul Master

• Jack of All Trades
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 28, 2011, 11:16:43 pm »
No, that's not at all what I was getting at. By the logic of your interpretation of my question and your answer, here's a list of things that also occur in the original game, on the original console.

But seriously, a clearer way to ask my question would be, should the music still playing like that be on the list of things to fix, or do you think it was intended that the Narche music lingers until you get to Figaro Castle?

I should probably note that I'm not actually cutting on you, KingMike, I'm just giving you crap. I didn't think anybody would interpret my question the way you did... lol.

Gideon Zhi

• Discord Staff
    • View Profile
    • Aeon Genesis
« Reply #44 on: February 28, 2011, 11:46:52 pm »
My guess is that it's intentional. That'd be a pretty damn big oversight, something that'd certainly have been caught in even preliminary testing - while most of the things the PB team fixed are most certainly of the under-the-hood variety.

Gamesoul Master

• Jack of All Trades
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: February 28, 2011, 11:57:53 pm »
I'd feel the same way, but look at some of the problems that have occurred. Like Evade not having any effect, to name one of the biggest ones. I could imagine how it might be intentional, but the song really doesn't carry over so well for the occasion. Although, it seems like it'd be hard to accidentally have that happen, especially since if you get into a battle and come out, the music persists. Meaning it *seems* it'd be set to play that music until Figaro. Unless the game is programmed to store the last song playing when you enter battle, and to play that song again upon leaving battle, unless something specifically sets a song as part of an event. I suppose there's no easy way to determine whether it was intentional, short of seeing the coding for the game.

Edit: Well... I thought maybe if I went back to Narche, and then went to Figaro, that maybe my freezing issue would go away. But it seems that trying to zone at all is the issue. Trying to zone into Figaro *or* Narche causes the game to "freeze" at the black screen with the music going. So... yeah, I'm screwed. Time to start over again and hope that I can get further than leaving Narche this time... lol.

Edit 2: Umm... so, I started a new game. Got all the way to where you're ready to leave Narche. So I went to stop in the beginners house first, and... can you guess what happened? Yup, the game froze. Black screen, music kept going. I was previously afraid that maybe it was my fault for continuing a save on the new patch that I started on the old patch, but starting this fresh new game has now proven that this problem has nothing to do with me. Which... kind-of sucks actually. Occurred on ZSNES v1.51 of course, same as before.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2011, 01:21:38 am by Gamesoul Master »

Panzer88

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
  • GENO means ♥♪!?
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 01, 2011, 02:00:39 am »
might want to try another emulator.

I have zero issues on a real Super Famicom.
Donate now until 24 April, from the makers of shotwell Geary: a new open-source email client

Gamesoul Master

• Jack of All Trades
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 01, 2011, 02:07:55 am »
Multiple versions of ZSNES, and all 3 modes in BSNES (Accurate, Compatibility, Performance) would tend to indicate something other than an emulator issue. Unlikely to be a patch issue either though, otherwise more people than me would be reporting this issue. I suppose I can try every other emulator I can find and see what happens. This obviously didn't happen to me initially though, so besides upgrading to the newer patch, I can't imagine what else has changed.

Edit: Well, more versions of emulators, and a few other emulators, and I know it's not the emulators.

Does anybody have a copy of the original "demo 2" that was released a few days ago. I didn't have any problems with that first one, so I'm going to assume that the "fixed" version is what's causing me issues, because that's the *only* thing that changed right before the game stopped working for me.

CONFIRMED: I remembered that I had the original patched ROM still on my phone, so I transferred it back, loaded up my save, and was able to zone into Figaro Castle just fine. So yeah, definitely something with the v2a patch. Or something extremely unlikely and near-impossible that somehow happened anyway.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2011, 03:21:05 am by Gamesoul Master »

Reiska

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 01, 2011, 05:23:54 am »
I suppose, in the meantime, it'd be a good idea to keep both ROMs around and switch between them as necessary - play with the original patch except for party switching, or something, till Lenophis can fix this one?

Also, a few more oddity reports:

- Fairy Claw is sold in Maranda for 15 gil?
- Rune Ring is sold in Albrook for 15 gil?
- Opal Necklace has no item description?
- in Magitek Research Facility, a chest indicates that you found a "crystal shield" but the item in the inventory is actually a Proto Shield
« Last Edit: March 01, 2011, 06:39:25 am by Reiska »

Kiyoshi Aman

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
  • Browncoat Captain
    • View Profile
    • Aerdan's Blog
« Reply #49 on: March 01, 2011, 06:25:36 am »
Gamesoul Master, did you patch the game on an inappropriate version and click OK on 'patch anyway'? That's about the only thing I can think of that would cause that for just you.

Reiska

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 01, 2011, 06:40:22 am »
Gamesoul Master, did you patch the game on an inappropriate version and click OK on 'patch anyway'? That's about the only thing I can think of that would cause that for just you.

It's not just him, a friend of mine had the same issue after using the reuploaded patch Lenophis put up to fix the problem with the party screen.

Lenophis

• Discord Staff
    • View Profile
    • Slick Productions
« Reply #51 on: March 01, 2011, 07:40:23 am »
Edit: Well... I thought maybe if I went back to Narche, and then went to Figaro, that maybe my freezing issue would go away. But it seems that trying to zone at all is the issue. Trying to zone into Figaro *or* Narche causes the game to "freeze" at the black screen with the music going. So... yeah, I'm screwed. Time to start over again and hope that I can get further than leaving Narche this time... lol.
Entering any area with an event will get an infinite loop (figaro castle, south figaro, etc). The tiny house just north of South Figaro does not freeze, and I suspect Mt. Koltz is fine too.

Edit 2: Umm... so, I started a new game. Got all the way to where you're ready to leave Narche. So I went to stop in the beginners house first, and... can you guess what happened? Yup, the game froze. Black screen, music kept going. I was previously afraid that maybe it was my fault for continuing a save on the new patch that I started on the old patch, but starting this fresh new game has now proven that this problem has nothing to do with me. Which... kind-of sucks actually. Occurred on ZSNES v1.51 of course, same as before.
Hang on to your SRAM, this is a code problem.

Actually, in a brief moment of "huh," this problem started after I fixed the Returner's Inn location name, and now I have to wonder if this is related...

Gamesoul Master

• Jack of All Trades
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 01, 2011, 08:08:51 am »
Yeah, I only switched back to the old ROM, kept the SRAM.

You're right, entering Mt Koltz was perfectly fine, didn't try Sabin's house though. Forgot to report that (as you predicted) entering South Figaro also caused the freeze. Narche... did that one freeze because the aspect of not being able to actually enter the town is loaded as an event (as that's the only "event" going on there, right)? Either way, I'm glad it's a problem that's been (essentially) identified in code, and not some random crazy thing on my end of things... lol.

And just to clarify (even though Leno has already identified the problem), I applied the patch to the same clean v1.00 ROM that I applied the first one to (as I always make sure to keep a clean version of each ROM).

Lenophis

• Discord Staff
    • View Profile
    • Slick Productions
« Reply #53 on: March 01, 2011, 08:23:04 am »
Ok, problem identified. Fixing the Returner's Hideout location name was definitely the culprit. When I assembled that in, it made a code changed I forgot to account for, which the center tag code does better. Long story short, the center tag code was being overwritten, causing an infinite loop in the location name display. Any area that can display a name will hang the game. A patch will be released in an hour or so.

Patch has been updated.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2011, 09:23:21 am by Lenophis »

Hrith

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 01, 2011, 09:58:43 am »
The lowest tier elemental spells (Fire, Blizzard, and Thunder) all auto target one party by design. Although, I must confess, it's one change nobody has warmed up to. :'(
I like it. It may be a good idea to have that as the default targetting, but still be able to target one opponent by pressing R or L (for all relevant spells, not just Fire, Blizzard and Thunder).

My first impression about the hack is that the characters miss far too much (50~60% of the time). There is nothing that robs the fun of a game more than characters missing. I don't think special attacks should miss so much, if at all. Out of 100 tries (each, obv), Hissatsugeki missed 64 times, Aura Smash missed 40 times, Locke using Attack with Main Gauche missed 56 times. I know that is not mathematically relevant data, but I thought I'd actually test it in-game to illustrate my argument, it's the point of the release, right? :)
I have noticed spells seem to miss quite a bit, too, but it's nothing like physical attacks, so I have not run any test.

I love the FFIX thievery system, and the great equipment you can steal early on thanks to that.

Gogo13

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 01, 2011, 10:50:44 am »
Hrith, were you testing in the Phantom Forest?  I think the undead have higher evade.  Aura bolt never misses, that's for sure.  And eagle eye increases your accuracy, but I don't know how much.

Leno, I had a slight bug, nothing unavoidable.  When trying to read the instructions for stopping the phantom train (in the engine room), my hero was stuck in the square where you read it, and also got stuck in the square above that (couldn't move).  I had to read the instructions, then rewind and follow them.

mra484

« Reply #56 on: March 01, 2011, 01:22:54 pm »
Some stuff I've come across so far:

The clock in zozo that you have to get past for the chainsaw is broken, on all fonts the last line of choices overflow.  I didn't remember what the correct time was so I didn't check if it was still possible to open the door or not.

When you pick up the magicite in zozo the characters in your party get a max mp boost, but it doesn't give any mp to people that were outside your party.  I'm not sure if this was intentional or not.

Also not getting any AP from normal fights even when someone who can learn magic has espers equipped.  Again not sure if this was intentional or not.

It might just be me, but the rng seems much less predictable than it was before, like its coming up with different values after loading a save state than what it came up with the first time.

Enjoying the game so far.

Lenophis

• Discord Staff
    • View Profile
    • Slick Productions
« Reply #57 on: March 01, 2011, 01:35:22 pm »
The clock in zozo that you have to get past for the chainsaw is broken, on all fonts the last line of choices overflow.  I didn't remember what the correct time was so I didn't check if it was still possible to open the door or not.
Wrapping text is bad. The only consolation I can give you is that you can't get the Chainsaw right now anyway.

When you pick up the magicite in zozo the characters in your party get a max mp boost, but it doesn't give any mp to people that were outside your party.  I'm not sure if this was intentional or not.
Intentional. Only those that first come into contact with the stones will get boosts.

Also not getting any AP from normal fights even when someone who can learn magic has espers equipped.  Again not sure if this was intentional or not.
Nothing gives any AP on the first continent.

It might just be me, but the rng seems much less predictable than it was before, like its coming up with different values after loading a save state than what it came up with the first time.
Yay, someone finally noticed. :angel: The old RNG was destructored and replaced with a far better one.

Imzogelmo

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 01, 2011, 03:05:41 pm »
I'm impressed that a lot of the stuff that we figured would not be noticed (for a while, anyway) is getting noticed. And, annoying as it is to get stuck sometimes, we really do appreciate it when we get those reports, so we can fix them.

The reports of cheaper-than-should-be items is noted, we just forgot to put final prices in for some of the items. So, for now, just enjoy the cheap equips. It's not intended, so it won't be that way in the final.

Hrith

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 01, 2011, 06:24:44 pm »
'BrainSugar', oh you...

Not being able to run from Intangir is really annoying when trying to get all rages for Gau.

Also, give me back Catoblepas, Bismarck and Zona Seeker D: