News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: ROM Hacks: Pandora's Box sees the light of day once again  (Read 58533 times)

vivify93

• Submission Reviewer
  • Guardian of Mystery
    • View Profile
Re: ROM Hacks: Pandora's Box sees the light of day once again
« Reply #20 on: February 27, 2011, 03:48:03 pm »
Smith
"Yes sir! You're Emperor Ghestal's own court mage, aren't you?"

Whoops. I assume that the script is still being worked on, then.

...I don't care if I sound like an asshole, but know that it was not my intention to sound like one.

Also, the first line of Cyan Cayenne's introductory text is off center.
All my life I've tried to fight what history has given me.

Reiska

• View Profile
Re: ROM Hacks: Pandora\'s Box sees the light of day once again
« Reply #21 on: February 27, 2011, 04:50:53 pm »
It won't let me write Banon is a jackass on the paper  :'(
Is the text wrapping? There's normally no response either way, but if the text is wrapping, that's a problem.
Yeah, the text is wrapping there, at least on font 6.

February 27, 2011, 04:52:05 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)

I noticed the same with Sabin's when using font 6.

realworksuks

• https://www.youtube.com/user/realworksuks
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 27, 2011, 06:52:18 pm »
I am very glad to see this project in the headlines again due to it being my most anticipated project in romhacking. 
Check out my gaming Youtube Channel! https://www.youtube.com/user/realworksuks

Gogo13

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 27, 2011, 10:44:50 pm »
Just to clear up about my ROM patching problem, if you have a ROM and save it with FF6usME, then it changes the checksum even if nothing was done to the ROM.  This caused me to have a ROM that was pure in essence but not in code.

Lenophis

• Discord Staff
  • The return of the sombrero!
    • View Profile
    • Slick Productions
« Reply #24 on: February 27, 2011, 11:06:55 pm »
Provide screenshots, please.

https://ff6randomizer.codeplex.com/ - Randomize your FF6 experience!

Reiska

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 28, 2011, 03:21:41 am »
Provide screenshots, please.

Will do ASAP, I'll need to replay to that point again.

DarknessSavior

• Darkness.
    • View Profile
    • DS: No, not the Nintendo one.
« Reply #26 on: February 28, 2011, 04:17:23 am »
Is the Whelk in the beginning supposed to take forever to beat? I've sat there for at least ten minutes (using super speed, too) shooting Magimissiles at it, and healing all of my characters. It isn't hard, so much as tedious. T_T

~DS
Red Comet: :'( Poor DS. Nobody loves him like RC does. :'(
Sliver-X: LET ME INFRINGE UPON IT WITH MY MOUTH
DSRH - Currently working on: Demon's Blazon, Romancing SaGa, FFIV EasyType.
http://www.youtube.com/user/DarknessSavior

Lilinda

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 28, 2011, 04:21:54 am »
Hit the shell.

Why are people having this much fucking trouble on the whelk

I mean, the game point blank tells you to try new shit when you hit new game
Retired moderator/staff member as of July 14th 2016

Reiska

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 28, 2011, 04:52:02 am »
Different problem to report!  This isn't from my personal playthrough, but a friend of mine's.

He reports that when the game should go to the party selection after getting the first Espers in Zozo, he instead gets this screen (using snes9x):

In ZSNES, the game instead reboots.

Here's a link to the .srm he's using; game was started on ZSNES 1.51.

(Edit: Moved the link to my own webspace rather than his)

Lilinda

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 28, 2011, 06:17:05 am »
I can confirm this happens on bsnes 0.048.
Retired moderator/staff member as of July 14th 2016

Lenophis

• Discord Staff
    • View Profile
    • Slick Productions
« Reply #30 on: February 28, 2011, 07:36:20 am »
He reports that when the game should go to the party selection after getting the first Espers in Zozo, he instead gets this screen (using snes9x):

In ZSNES, the game instead reboots.
And that would be a stack mismatch.

This is strange, since the first round of beta testing did not experience this. I've had problems with the party-select screen before, and all because of optimizations I made to the code. What did I screw up this time...? :banghead:

Ok, I found the problem. With a bunch of the code changes, I missed one address changed which somehow never caused a problem until this demo's release. How Aerdan did not experience this crash is amazing. I'll post an updated patch later today after I check a few more things.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2011, 09:56:27 am by Lenophis »

DarknessSavior

• Darkness.
    • View Profile
    • DS: No, not the Nintendo one.
« Reply #31 on: February 28, 2011, 08:02:37 am »
Are you supposed to not be able to go into your menu once you start moving Locke and the Moogles during the "Save Tina" sequence? I tried to heal my party members, but could not.

~DS
Red Comet: :'( Poor DS. Nobody loves him like RC does. :'(
Sliver-X: LET ME INFRINGE UPON IT WITH MY MOUTH
DSRH - Currently working on: Demon's Blazon, Romancing SaGa, FFIV EasyType.
http://www.youtube.com/user/DarknessSavior

Lenophis

• Discord Staff
    • View Profile
    • Slick Productions
« Reply #32 on: February 28, 2011, 08:12:28 am »
DarknessSavior didn't see Novalia Spirit's explanation. You thought you could handle it.

curses

• "So long."
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 28, 2011, 10:59:57 am »
DarknessSavior didn't see Novalia Spirit's explanation. You thought you could handle it.
I thought it was a pretty weird design choice. I miss the "but thou must" style choices because the player won't miss any content that way. Sigh.

andrewclunn

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 28, 2011, 11:07:34 am »
Sprint Shoes, also known as the "Are you tired of holding down the B button?" relic  ;D

Lenophis

• Discord Staff
    • View Profile
    • Slick Productions
« Reply #35 on: February 28, 2011, 02:36:56 pm »
Ok guys, patch has been updated. Keep the reports coming. :thumbsup:

Gogo13

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 28, 2011, 02:46:57 pm »
I love how hard the Phantom Train is (I blew through the beginning part, so maybe it would be harder if I fought a little more).  I also love how you have to run when rescuing Celes (an idea I implemented also).

Panzer88

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
  • GENO means ♥♪!?
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 28, 2011, 03:25:58 pm »

indeed, although there is grace, before you move you can go into your menu still which is nice. I used it to steal Mog's equipment.

Also, does anyone know what is in the Rhinotaur's steal slots? I only saw it once after an hour of random battles by south figaro and accidentally killed him.

Sprint Shoes, also known as the "Are you tired of holding down the B button?" relic  ;D

heh, didn't even notice as I'm so used to holding down B, but I did like the stats they provided.

Is what Novalia Spirit says in the Dev Room supposed to mean something? or is it just random.

What was the scholar in Figaro Castle talking about ilmagic and ilmages.

Did the Merchant in South Figaro always deliver the wine all the way to the old man and walk all the way back? It's been so long since I played the original :(

Also where is the Brawler's Bandana drop :O heh, probably just trying to balance the game, the bandana is godly at that stage in the game. I do like the overall balance and fixed stats.

« Last Edit: February 28, 2011, 03:42:09 pm by Panzer88 »
Donate now until 24 April, from the makers of shotwell Geary: a new open-source email client

Imzogelmo

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 28, 2011, 04:46:34 pm »
I hope everyone is enjoying the demo. While we have tried to make it a bit tougher overall, it shouldn't be crazy hard, and it's not beyond a little tweaking here and there.

The most common complaint I've seen so far is the lockout of the menu during multiparty battles. The reasoning for this is that physically separate parties shouldn't be able to share a common set of excellent equipment during what is essentially one large battle. Of course, if you retreat to the starting point, that's another matter entirely.  Also, it's a sort of unstated goal that we want to encourage even growth, so that you don't reach the end of the game with 4 great people and the rest being lacking. Of course, there is not one true path to victory, and if you choose not to train somebody that's your business.

Also, I encourage everyone to visit the classroom in Narche. While the game is still very much FF6, there's enough new stuff that it may warrant a visit to brush up. This will be even more important in the final release.

As for issues with the dialogue messages, I'm sure there are plenty of these problems to go around. We haven't looked at those in quite a while, and there may be several problems lurking in them. Not just spelling, punctuation, and grammar (although there are plenty of those), but also text width and spillage into new pages could be issues you find. While I encourage anyone that finds these to point them out, I'm just saying that we won't be too surprised as it's tough to anticipate every situation when you have 8 fonts of differing widths and 9 letter character names which could interact to cause extremely different layouts for messages.

It would be naive of me to think that this is the last critical bug out there, as it probably won't be, but we'll keep an eye on all the posts so we can fix issues quickly if such a problem comes up. Meanwhile, enjoy the rest of the demo!

Gamesoul Master

• Jack of All Trades
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 28, 2011, 09:20:02 pm »
First, I wanted to express my appreciation for this demo. Been watching the project for a couple years now, and this is by far one of the most promising and exciting projects I've seen lately.

The issue with Whelk taking forever... yeah, that had crossed my mind after fighting him for about 15 minutes. Granted, I didn't attack the shell for a few minutes, but after he used Roll about a dozen times, I realized that maybe he wouldn't come back out until I started bashing his shell. I tried every single attack and confirmed that Magimissile was indeed the strongest one, but even with constant bashing, the fight did just seem to go on and on. Attack, attack, heal, attack, attack, heal, etc. Occasionally he'd attack faster, occasionally he'd seem to skip a turn. I'm not complaining, but I did want to add my input on the fact that it *is* an easy but tedious and time-consuming battle.

Even on the updated patch, I can definitely confirm that once I use multi-targeting with an attack spell, they *only* multi-target after that. I'm using only the in-game save feature, no save states, and the issue persists even after saving, quitting, and reloading the game. Nothing seems to get my Fire spell to target just one enemy again, and it only seems to affect spells that target the enemy by default. I can't help but feel like maybe if I were able to target myself, that maybe switching targets from the enemy to me and back again might cause the multi-targeting to go away, like it does with spells like Cure.

Other than that, besides some spelling and grammar issues (only a few so far that'd be worth mentioning, but I'm sure you guys will find them in your final test runs), I haven't seen much worth mentioning. Time for me to get back to the game :)