News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: How do you translate wii games  (Read 7270 times)

How do you translate wii games
« on: February 25, 2011, 09:03:46 pm »

Ryusui

• It's the greatest day.
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
Re: How do you translate wii games
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2011, 09:11:04 pm »
The same way you translate everything else: hard work, patience and skill. There are no silver bullets for translation.
In the event of a firestorm, the salad bar will remain open.

Gideon Zhi

• IRC Staff
    • View Profile
    • Aeon Genesis
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2011, 09:27:02 pm »

with a dictionary

snark

• 晴天の霹靂
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2011, 09:33:53 pm »
"Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done, and why. Then do it."

Next Gen Cowboy

• "People are like dice"
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2011, 11:03:10 pm »
There are no silver bullets for translation.

This is why the entire board will fall prey to (translation) werewolves in the near future!
"Remember when we were in Japan? You said you were my gun, if you're the gun then that means I'm the bullet."

"All my life I've been waiting for the gunpowder to go off, you know what you need to ignite gunpowder? You need a gun."

Klarth

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2011, 04:23:24 pm »
This is why the entire board will fall prey to (translation) werewolves in the near future!
WAOOOOON!

Gideon Zhi

• IRC Staff
    • View Profile
    • Aeon Genesis
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2011, 05:16:50 pm »
WAOOOOON!

YOU BEAR.

Ryusui

• It's the greatest day.
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2011, 05:45:36 pm »
Back on topic, assuming the TC hasn't fled in terror yet. ^_^;

You know the saying, "ask a stupid question, get a stupid answer?" Well, your question's not stupid, it's just that the answer you're looking for is far more complicated than you're probably expecting. Let's not mince words: you were hoping the answer would be "there is a special program we use that can convert a Japanese disk image into a fully-functional English version", or some similarly effort-free scenario. No such luck, I'm afraid. Translation hacking takes knowledge and effort. Easy workarounds are few and far between.

The bottom line is, if you had to ask how it's done, you probably wouldn't understand the answer. But if that doesn't deter you (and good for you if it doesn't!), then I recommend you start small. Pick a Game Boy game and try your hand at translating it.
In the event of a firestorm, the salad bar will remain open.

Gideon Zhi

• IRC Staff
    • View Profile
    • Aeon Genesis
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2011, 06:07:08 pm »
Back on topic, assuming the TC hasn't fled in terror yet. ^_^;

You know the saying, "ask a stupid question, get a stupid answer?" Well, your question's not stupid, it's just that the answer you're looking for is far more complicated than you're probably expecting. Let's not mince words: you were hoping the answer would be "there is a special program we use that can convert a Japanese disk image into a fully-functional English version", or some similarly effort-free scenario. No such luck, I'm afraid. Translation hacking takes knowledge and effort. Easy workarounds are few and far between.

The bottom line is, if you had to ask how it's done, you probably wouldn't understand the answer. But if that doesn't deter you (and good for you if it doesn't!), then I recommend you start small. Pick a Game Boy game and try your hand at translating it.