News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Street Fighter Zero 3 (Saturn Version) English Translation  (Read 12025 times)

MysteryMan3D

• View Profile
Street Fighter Zero 3 (Saturn Version) English Translation
« on: February 19, 2011, 07:49:29 am »
Is it hard to hack SEGA Saturn games?

I want to translate all the Japanese text in Street Fighter Zero 3 for the Sega Saturn into English, and convert the game to NTSC-U region so it can run on my own Saturn.

The reason I want to do this, is because it's a known fact the Saturn version of Alpha 3 is the best home version of the game out there, but it was only released in Japan because of the 4MB RAM cart, which I can easily get at my local pawn shop.

DeGamer

• View Profile
    • My vids & stuff
Re: Street Fighter Zero 3 (Saturn Version) English Translation
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2011, 11:10:17 am »
Not sure. It might all depend on how things are stored.

First you'd have to locate the font in the game using some graphics tool such as tile molester (apply the right setting to see the graphics) and once you find the font, and make a table out of that. Also, see if there are characters for English you can use, if not, you'll have to overwrite the Japanese characters graphics with the English letters you need (but you'll do this AFTER you find where the original Japanese text is stored).
From there you could use a hexeditor like windhex, load your table, and open the file that contains the Japanese text you want to change (you may need to do some browsing before you find the file you need on the CD).

You'll need to figure out pointers for text strings, if there are any, in case you don't have enough space to write what's needed, so you can move the text elsewhere in an "empty" part of the file/game.

I haven't looked at SF Zero 3 for the Saturn yet to see how the text is stored (I do have the game, bought it when it first came out). If it's not compressed, it may be easy to edit. This is something I was planning to do sometime in the future as I'd like to see this version in  English as well.  ;)

Do you speak/read Japanese?
Yo were can I git dem roms at??!!11!
Oh shit you can hack games now???????
Translate my game pleeze!!!11!!1 It only haz a small exabyte block of text.
Can my avatar size be over 9000? Ppleeze! Me love you forevr longtime!!!111!1

Auryn

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2011, 10:29:01 am »
I admit that i never played SFM3 on the saturn (actually no street fighter after super street fighter 2 champion edition :p) but what is there to translate??
If i look at this video, i see only uninteresting things to translate:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pr8NEv4SIP8

Or u just want to translate the "info" box in menu screen and the little sentece before and after the fight??

About converting to US to play it in your saturn, it took me 2 min in google to find this:

http://madroms.satakore.com/#SRP

even if it's useless if u not have a modified saturn (http://www.gamesx.com/importmod/sat_switchless.htm) or u use the swap method (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AImVFQ8J5ls).

==============================================

Damm, why i am so curios all the time???
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oiSqarKqkGk

I can't take the credits for the PAL region change, it was already like that.
Anyway the translation should not be too difficult, need to figure out the pointers and find the rest of the text in japanese.
The biggest problem is if i want to change Vega and Bison names ( in japanese they are exchanged but usa and euro version should be the same if i rememeber well).
« Last Edit: February 24, 2011, 06:16:39 am by Auryn »

DeGamer

• View Profile
    • My vids & stuff
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2011, 12:40:28 pm »
Actually, Street Fighter Zero/Alpha 3 has the most text of any Street Fighter game to date. This game has a lot of characters, and therefore a lot more text in Japanese than the older games. It's not just the info box or the character intro before the first fight. There are also mid boss fights where there is text for each character. Then there's also the text for each characters ending. Some characters have multiple win quotes, where as the English versions were limited to 1 or 2 win quotes. At first it doesn't look like a lot of text, but it is, especially for a fighting game.

There's also some graphics here and there with Jap text and all the world tour stuff as well.

And, the story is not quite the same as the English localized versions for other consoles and there is text that was cut from the English versions as well (making those versions incomplete).

Nice little mods BTW Auryn. :thumbsup:  What were you looking for when you were scrolling near the end of the 2nd video?

And yeah, changing the region of the game is easy with the right tools. I use it to make the change in the ISO and burn it back to disc as I have a modded Saturn. I agree about the translations not being too difficult (provided you have a translations for the text) so this might be an easy way for you to start MysteryMan3D. If no one else does it, I'll do it eventually (I'm currently busy with 6 games right now, so....)

BTW Auryn, love the slow piano version of Airwave you got there. Sounds super sweet!  :thumbsup:
« Last Edit: February 27, 2011, 01:00:20 pm by DeGamer »

Auryn

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2011, 05:30:53 pm »
Oic... so it's a mix of what i know from SF2 and the most japanese shooters like shikigami no shiro.

The game it's fully playable like this but it's ok, we can have a complete USA version with all "I can't loose" or ending of Ryu " Ryu...Ryu...my love" (so romantic LOL) and "I did it" :p

It's looking like u know the game well, do u know some text on a intro/mid boss / winning stance or ending with some english on it?? It's looking that that text uses another table as the rest.

Actually i got distracted and i cut that part but somehow my video program didn't want to cut it  :'(
Anyway u are a little smart guy: i was not really decided if show it or not...how easy would be to translate all the english text to another language  :angel:

What u don't see in the video it's this:

Anyway, for the future:
all the english text is in ASCII and this for all this english texts:

The arrows in the Special Move section are found in the font used by the info box and all the japanese in the menu (very absurd and incomplete japanese table in single byte form).

For now i still didn't found the intro/winning pose/ ending sentences but i think that when i will know the table for that text, find it will be easy.

The names of the fighters are found many times in various files but i still didn't try to modify them to see what they are for.

This is not my main project either...I just was curious about it when i read this post. We can talk about a co-production when u have time.

Off topic: My idea was to make a before and after of the same place video (the first part of the video are pics 2 days before the event) but it didn't work out well so I searched inspiration in the music and found that song in youtube.
I decided to syncronize the video and the music to reflect the noods of both especially because i still had the unpubblished pics of the year before in the same HDD. So u got the the 3 moods: quiet before the storm, the party and the remembering of a even better party (at least for the weather):p
I love that song too, if u want it, go to http://aaronstatic.com/ and download it for free @320kbs.
The one in my video is the 2009 Remix but the chillout version is not bad either; u find them in the soundcloud :thumbsup:

DeGamer

• View Profile
    • My vids & stuff
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2011, 11:41:16 am »
Oic... so it's a mix of what i know from SF2 and the most japanese shooters like shikigami no shiro.

Actually now that I think about it, there were versions of SF2 where the Japanese one had more text than the English counterparts. Damn lazy people at Capcom. It's not like Street fighter games are text heavy like RPGs.

It's looking like u know the game well, do u know some text on a intro/mid boss / winning stance or ending with some english on it?? It's looking that that text uses another table as the rest.

Yeah I know it pretty well. I have every Capcom Saturn game ever made. I don't have that text handy right now though. But you can see some here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tmKjaG-1408&t=9m18s

Unfortunately that's probably the shortest ending in the game  :(

how easy would be to translate all the english text to another language  :angel:

What other language would you want this in?

Anyway, for the future:
all the english text is in ASCII and this for all this english texts:

Wow.  :o  Some of it will be even easier than I thought. Why can't all games be like that? Thanks for the heads up. :)

The arrows in the Special Move section are found in the font used by the info box and all the japanese in the menu (very absurd and incomplete japanese table in single byte form).

Yeah, the games I working on now have tables like that too.  :crazy:

The names of the fighters are found many times in various files but i still didn't try to modify them to see what they are for.

I'd rather leave the names alone. I've always hated how they were changed in the American versions. Yeah M. Bison is Mike Bison which sounds like Mike Tyson, so I can understand changing his name. But why did the have to fuck around with Balrog's and Vega's names too? They should have left those alone. Gouki's name was changed to Akuma for no good reason. His name was Gouki in the English versions SSF2 Turbo and X-Men Children of the Atom. Then they change it to Akuma in Street Fighter Alpha. Pointless name change.  ::)

This is not my main project either...I just was curious about it when i read this post. We can talk about a co-production when u have time.

What project are you working on? I'm messing around with some other Capcom games (mainly the Rockman games for the PS1). Sure we can work on it later on, although you made not need me at all since I'm assuming you can read Japanese or at least know your Kana from what I see. This game shouldn't be hard to translate once the script is extracted.

Off topic: My idea was to make a before and after of the same place video (the first part of the video are pics 2 days before the event) but it didn't work out well so I searched inspiration in the music and found that song in youtube.
I decided to syncronize the video and the music to reflect the noods of both especially because i still had the unpubblished pics of the year before in the same HDD. So u got the the 3 moods: quiet before the storm, the party and the remembering of a even better party (at least for the weather):p
I love that song too, if u want it, go to http://aaronstatic.com/ and download it for free @320kbs.
The one in my video is the 2009 Remix but the chillout version is not bad either; u find them in the soundcloud :thumbsup:

I see. Looked like fun and wish I was there. Thanks for the link.  :thumbsup:
Airwave + 320kbps = Eargasm  :D

BRPXQZME

• じー
    • View Profile
    • The BRPXQZME Network
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2011, 12:17:02 pm »
Actually now that I think about it, there were versions of SF2 where the Japanese one had more text than the English counterparts. Damn lazy people at Capcom. It's not like Street fighter games are text heavy like RPGs.
The usual problem is that Japanese text says more in less space, but yes, some games do have quite a bit more cut out than that.

His name was Gouki in the English versions SSF2 Turbo and X-Men Children of the Atom. Then they change it to Akuma in Street Fighter Alpha. Pointless name change.  ::)
This is incorrect. Open up ST or CotA and select him. You will not see a name ;)
we are in a horrible and deadly danger

Auryn

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2011, 02:56:15 pm »
I don't know if there was any version of SF2 with more text, all i ever played, was the same even if in the arcade i was playing a Japanese version. And that programmers are lazy, we know that since longtime just looking at the "trash" left over in almost any game somebody hacked especially since the CD era.

The end credits are in ASCII too :p
I meant to say if there is any character saying something in English at anytime (the length of the sentence is not important but at least we can start a relative search with the English letters, in Japanese, it's almost impossible):
Even a Japanese table should normally start with the "A E I O U" but not this game; a little extract of the table:
58=X
59=Y
5A=Z
5B=き
5C=く
5D=こ
5E=さ
5F=し
60=す
61=せ
62=た      
63=て
64=な
65=に
91=k
92=k                  k= kanji
93=R1
94=R2               R1/R2= icon of the buttons R1/R2
95=あ
96=ス
97=い
98=は
99=か
9A=?                  this question mark is used with the Japanese info box
9B=ぇ
9C=0
9D=8
9E=4                 this 3 numbers are used only when saving in the Japanese info box
9F=ダ
A0=k

Translations right now are spreading in the various languages in the world. Just look on the forum, games in Turkish, Arabian, Swedish, polnish etc... I think nobody really was interested in this game because it is fully playable like this but maybe to a translation in English, it will be translated in some other language :p

Yeah...some part of the game is in ASCII but u still need to figure out the pointers (probably) because it's always one block withtout spaces in between  :huh:

And because they changed the names, u have to mess with them again :P

There are 3 main projects in my head. The really main project started back into 1999-2000 when almost nobody was already thinking at translating psx games and still i didn't finish :( not because it's so huge but just because I don't have programming skills to decompress the files. It's to translate the 4° CD of Final Fantasy International.
Sorry for the adds, when i opened the site it wasn't like that:( and move the mouse over the most pics to see the translated version under History.
http://membres.multimania.fr/auryntoo/
The second main project u see it there under "other projects" and it's "Chocobo Dungeons 1" that stalled because of the same problem.
The last project is just a dream that probably will never come true because it's a game that u only find online that it exist and maybe some pics but nothing more. A translation would need to break down the game and rewrite the most of it: It's Another mind of Squaresoft.
Almost every 2 years I got back and checked the status of the translation scene and my knowledge to see if I could continue my 2 main projects and actually exactly this week I have done that and maybe it's the right time to continue (thanks to a stupid post in this forum i see a little light at the end of the tunnel :P).
In the meantime I messed up with many games for many systems just for curiosity like this one, for test a new project (the lost vikings u saw in my videos) or to help out somebody.

I actually can't read Japanese (too many languages in my head and I am "out of memory" LOL), there was a time where i was very good when i made the most of the work on FF7 but time runs fast and so now i forgot almost everything. But I believe that it's like ride a bike, just start again and u remember everything :p

Call me "old fashioned" but i am not one of those "break the game in pieces and rebuild it" guy + Let's say 10 lines of text in one block with one pointer ( so i think are stored those sentences) within a file, don't really need to be extracted :p
And I think that even my Japanese is enough for translate those sentences LOL

If u check the file system of the cd, u will find:
Boss1-23.pac (hex numbered) All the data for each boss with his text??
Ending1-23.pac (hex numbered)
Endobj1-23.pac (hex numbered)
but ok, it's possible that all the sentences are in the file ending,z  like the credits rolls in your video:p

U are still in time for the next one :p
http://www.streetparade.com/

@BRPXQZME: Yes and no...there is enough free space in the files.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2011, 03:10:43 pm by Auryn »

BRPXQZME

• じー
    • View Profile
    • The BRPXQZME Network
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2011, 06:12:44 pm »
@BRPXQZME: Yes and no...there is enough free space in the files.
Oh, it’s not about free space. It’s about how long it shows up on the screen. If your animation lasts for X number of seconds with Y screens of text in Japanese, then it’s probably going to be X number of seconds with Y screens of text in the translations. The thing is, sentences in Japanese tend to take up less screens of text than sentences in English, particularly if the sentence in Japanese is very short.

Also, in the arcade game business, time spent watching text go by is time the arcade operator isn’t making money, so they don’t feel terribly compelled to make the translations full and accurate for story modes—at least, that’s how it was back in the day.

Auryn

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2011, 03:44:03 am »
Oic..u mean that the time u are spending reading something, is lost time that u are not risking dieing  LOL

They had to make Tikky walk faster in "the newzealand story" then ... I need at least 45min to finish the game :p

Anyway SFZ3 is really a turbo game if u look at the ending.... it's the only game i saw till now where u have to read the ending, the credits (the part  u can read) and it's all over in less than a minute LOL

Anyway,  for me this translation is suspended for longtime. I spended the last 4 days reading stuff about FF7 and now I feel like Neo when he stops the bullets in the matrix....i see everything clear (or almost) for my project:p

DeGamer

• View Profile
    • My vids & stuff
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2011, 12:01:08 am »
His name was Gouki in the English versions SSF2 Turbo and X-Men Children of the Atom. Then they change it to Akuma in Street Fighter Alpha. Pointless name change.  ::)
This is incorrect. Open up ST or CotA and select him. You will not see a name ;)

Ah, you're right. But I should have been more specific. His name is in there in the arcade games, it's just not displayed (it's some were in the graphics. Don't quite remember where). For the home console versions, you can see his name in versus mode (if you've unlocked him) when you take the shortcut way of re-selecting characters (easiest place to see this is the Saturn X-Men COTA).

The usual problem is that Japanese text says more in less space, but yes, some games do have quite a bit more cut out than that.

That's definitely true as I've seen it quite a bit (Zelda 2 comes to mind). Sometimes they make up for it though. The Japanese Rockman 2 has the intro story which takes 4 screens. The English MegaMan 2 takes 5 screens. For fighting  type of games, there is no excuse. All the text should be there. They're lazy I tell ya... :P
Look at one of Cammy win quotes in SSF2T. It's damn long, yet there are other characters where they didn't translate some of theirs even though it would have takes less space on the screen.

And that programmers are lazy, we know that since longtime just looking at the "trash" left over in almost any game somebody hacked especially since the CD era.

Well in that sense, that can be a great thing depending on the content the left in (extra characters, stages, items, ect...). However, I was referring to the English translations, where they don't translate all the text.

93=R1
94=R2               R1/R2= icon of the buttons R1/R2

Those are leftovers from the PS1 version. Laziness  :laugh:

I think nobody really was interested in this game because it is fully playable like this but maybe to a translation in English, it will be translated in some other language :p

Yeah you're right. It's definitely playable, but most people won't now the story. I also thought you meant you wanted to translate this game to another language besides English. :P

Yeah...some part of the game is in ASCII but u still need to figure out the pointers (probably) because it's always one block withtout spaces in between  :huh:

Thanks yet again for the heads up. One block huh? The game I'm working on is like that. Shouldn't be too hard  ;D

And because they changed the names, u have to mess with them again :P

But they kick so much ass as is.  :P

The really main project started back into 1999-2000 when almost nobody was already thinking at translating psx games and still i didn't finish :( not because it's so huge but just because I don't have programming skills to decompress the files.

Deja vu! That was pretty much the same with me  :'(

http://membres.multimania.fr/auryntoo/

You definitely have lot going on.  :o But those ads suck very icky balls. Big ouch on that Metal Slug X project  :(
I like that font in Chocobo Dungeons you got. I was going for a similar look in Rockman Complete Works.

(thanks to a stupid post in this forum i see a little light at the end of the tunnel :P).

That's never a bad thing. Anyone who says otherwise is a douche bag. I say go for it if you've acquired the skills to finish you main projects  :thumbsup: 

U are still in time for the next one :p
http://www.streetparade.com/

I'm in the wrong country  :'(

Also, in the arcade game business, time spent watching text go by is time the arcade operator isn’t making money, so they don’t feel terribly compelled to make the translations full and accurate for story modes—at least, that’s how it was back in the day.

Marvel Vs Capcom 2 is the PERFECT example of that. They threw the storyline out the window and then destroyed it! Storyline??? What storyline???

Anyway,  for me this translation is suspended for longtime.

Don't sweat it bro. I'll do it since it seems MysteryMan3D has chosen to remain a mystery. It's a game I wanted to do anyway so it's all good.  8)

I spended the last 4 days reading stuff about FF7 and now I feel like Neo when he stops the bullets in the matrix....i see everything clear (or almost) for my project:p

YOU CAN DO IT! Stop them bullets ;)
« Last Edit: March 02, 2011, 12:07:14 am by DeGamer »

BRPXQZME

• じー
    • View Profile
    • The BRPXQZME Network
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2011, 12:32:33 am »
Ah, you're right. But I should have been more specific. His name is in there in the arcade games, it's just not displayed (it's some were in the graphics. Don't quite remember where).
I’ve combed the ST arcade graphics, and I’m pretty sure his name isn’t in there :P

CotA doesn’t come with a tile checker mode, though, so I’d have to throw something more hardcore at it to look for it there.

Look at one of Cammy win quotes in SSF2T. It's damn long, yet there are other characters where they didn't translate some of theirs even though it would have takes less space on the screen.
maybe you’ve seen these? *whistle*

I’m kind of afraid to look at that page again because the translation will look soooo crappy to me now.

Auryn

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2011, 01:59:21 am »
I was waiting to see if i really can stop the bullet and it's the case...so I will migrate the site to a new host soon.
Anyway if u check this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XZ2AFhuDEoU&t=4m56s
and think that I have to edit each site of that damm book (there is a site for each key item, each weapon, each accessory, each protector and each materia that u find in FF7) and translate all with photoshop, u will know that I will be busy for some time :p

The Metal slug was not a big deal, i could finish it now heheh.

The font of Chocobo RPG1 is the original of the game, there are english characters on it but the game is still in 2byte encoding even when u see the english...maybe correct that before start to translate the rest of the text :p

Your sentece "Wrong country" it's actually not correct ... it's "wrong salary" LOL
There are many people comming from all around the world just for that party :p

Good luck